The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books > Chapter-by-Chapter
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2005, 09:42 AM   #41
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

I'm not sure he would have been all that different even in less stressful situations. He probably always felt himself a bit put upon. Everyone liked Thorongil better than him, his wife kicked the bucket at a rather young age, one of his sons was disappointing to him...

He is described as being "kingly." Kingly has connotations of nobility, wisdom, leadership and so forth. However, it can also have connotations of aloofness and other less savory descriptors.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:01 AM   #42
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe Hi.

In this chapter you indeed feel breathless, waiting for the onset of a ruinous storm. Many things have been set off against each other in preparation of their coming clash, like the indomitable walls of Minas Tirith against the spear of terror of Minas Morgul. The White Tower must have a lot going for it, as no enemy has ever stepped foot inside it, but Sauron does know how to hit it hard where it counts.

Now, I find this description of Faramir interesting:
Here was one with an air of high nobility such as Aragorn at times revealed, less high perhaps, yet also less incalculable and remote: one of the Kings of Men born into a later time, but touched with the sadness of the Elder Race.
LR V 4
Now, compare this to the Captain of the opposing force. The Witch-King was also one of the Kings of Men that survived into a later time, yet this one was touched with the malice and darkness of Sauron.

Later on, we see this said about Faramir:
He was a captain that men would follow . . . even under the shadow of the black wings.
ibid
What about the Witch-King? What does his men think of him?
[Messenger: ]His own folk quail at him, and they would slay themselves at his bidding.
ibid
They were both captains Men would follow, but for different reasons. One allows his men to overcome fear, the other uses fear to overcome his men.

Speaking of the Witch-King . . .
[Witch-King: ]Old fool! This is my hour. Do you not know Death when you see it? Die now and curse in vain!
ibid
[Merry] shivered, for it came suddenly to him that it was the face of one without hope who goes in search of death.
LR V 3--emphasis mine
Funny how Dernhelm got her . . . I mean his wish.

And about Denethor:
Denethor [asked] . . . questions about . . . the position of Éomer, the king's nephew.
LR V 4
Why, I wonder? Did he think that Théoden would do what he does?
[Denethor: ][Sauron] will not come save to triumph over me when all is won. He uses others as weapons. So do all great lords, if they are wise . . .
ibid

Last edited by Nilpaurion Felagund; 07-28-2005 at 06:50 PM. Reason: inserting actual analysis
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 10:39 AM   #43
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
'You cannot enter here,' said Gandalf, and the huge shadow halted. 'Go back to the abyss prepared for you! Go back! Fall into the nothingness that awaits you and your Master. Go!'
This always interested me - 'the abyss that awaits you!' 'Fall into the nothingness that awaits you & your Master.'

Gandalf says that the 'abyss' has been prepared for the WK & for Sauron, that 'nothingness' awaits them. Prepared by whom? Only by Eru. Their fate has been decided, their 'free will' taken away? What's interesting is the WK's response: Gandalf fortells that 'nothingness' awaits him, he throws back his hood to reveal...?

Quote:
The Black Rider flung back his hood, and behold! he had a kingly crown; and yet upon no head visible was it set. The red fires shone between it and the mantled shoulders vast and dark. From a mouth unseen there came a deadly laughter.
Well, nothing. 'Nothingness' does not await him - it has already taken him. He is literally 'nothing'. Interestingly, Eowyn will name him dwimmerlaik (lit. 'phantom/illusion'). His laughter is 'deadly', because it is the laughter of one who is dead, a ghost, a 'nothing'. He has become the 'abyss'. He goes on to admit this:

Quote:
'Old fool!' he said. 'Old fool! This is my hour. Do you not know Death when you see it? Die now and curse in vain!' And with that he lifted high his sword and flames ran down the blade.
Gandalf's threat has failed to cow him - not because it was vain bluster on the Wizard's part, but because what he has threatened has already occured. So the WK can laugh his 'deadly laugh'. I think this is where his sense of 'indestructibility' arises - when he says none may slay him, he believes it, because he knows he has already been slain. What he will threaten Eowyn with later - her flesh shall be devoured & her shrivelled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye - this has been his own fate.

Finally, we have the second animal in the story whose thoughts are given. First was the fox in the woods of the Shire, curious about the doings of Hobbits, now we have the cock in Minas Tirith.

This bird has no interest in 'wizardry or war' - he only feels welcome for the dawn:

Quote:
Gandalf did not move. And in that very moment, away behind in some courtyard of the City, a cock crowed. Shrill and clear he crowed, recking nothing of wizardry or war, welcoming only the morning that in the sky far above the shadows of death was coming with the dawn.
Whether there was in Tolkien's mind any connection between the crowing of this cock & the crowing of the cock in the Gospels is a question I can't answer, obviously, but its interesting that that cockcrow signalled the lowest point of the Christian story, but the point at which everything was about to turn around with the Crucifixion & Resurrection of Christ. Here we have a similar symbolic cockcrow, & many will die this day, but by the end of it a new king will have 'arisen'....
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 10:56 AM   #44
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem
Whether there was in Tolkien's mind any connection between the crowing of this cock & the crowing of the cock in the Gospels is a question I can't answer, obviously, but its interesting that that cockcrow signalled the lowest point of the Christian story, but the point at which everything was about to turn around with the Crucifixion & Resurrection of Christ. Here we have a similar symbolic cockcrow, & many will die this day, but by the end of it a new king will have 'arisen'....
Gosh, davem, here you are bringing 'baggage' into the story from outside reading instead of just allowing yourself to experience the cock as a cock crowing to announce the dawn. Middle earth didn't have all that many clocks or, apparently, bells. Can't a cock just be a cock?
Old 08-08-2005, 11:16 AM   #45
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Quote:
Gosh, davem, here you are bringing 'baggage' into the story from outside reading instead of just allowing yourself to experience the cock as a cock crowing to announce the dawn. Middle earth didn't have all that many clocks or, apparently, bells. Can't a cock just be a cock?
Gosh, Bb , he came walking, no baggage upon his person. Let us imagine davem entering dimly lit manor, where the enormous picture is hung over the fireplace, and that is what catches the eye and has the beholder enthralled and drawn to itself immediately upon entering. But once the eye grows accustomed to the half-defined shadows, lot of other trifles may be seen placed here and there, apparantly at random, but not so upon reflection, and not trifles at all upon some more, which may seem apart from the big picture, but which help, in fact, define it, and the picture without items around would be, well, appealing, beautiful, awesome, but still just a picture, but with those placed around, it also tells a story and aslo reminds of things once known, and maybe forgotten. Whatever you see davem holding, is not a thing he brought from the outside, it was picked up in the manor for closer examination, or for wonder, or for pleasure and joy.

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 11:22 AM   #46
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry
No I'm not. I'm merely pointing up a similarity, & speculating on whether that might have been in the author's mind. What I mean by 'baggage' is dragging in things from the primary world/readers own experience & imposing them on the secondary world. Applicability = the secondary world shining a light on the primary world & thereby illuminating some aspect of it. Allegory = forcing the primary world onto the secondary world until it submits.

(Can't believe you thought I couldn't talk my way out of that one )
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 09:33 PM   #47
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerenIstarion
Gosh, Bb , he came walking, no baggage upon his person. Let us imagine davem entering dimly lit manor, where the enormous picture is hung over the fireplace, and that is what catches the eye and has the beholder enthralled and drawn to itself immediately upon entering. But once the eye grows accustomed to the half-defined shadows, lot of other trifles may be seen placed here and there, apparantly at random, but not so upon reflection, and not trifles at all upon some more, which may seem apart from the big picture, but which help, in fact, define it, and the picture without items around would be, well, appealing, beautiful, awesome, but still just a picture, but with those placed around, it also tells a story and aslo reminds of things once known, and maybe forgotten. Whatever you see davem holding, is not a thing he brought from the outside, it was picked up in the manor for closer examination, or for wonder, or for pleasure and joy.
Sometimes, HI, 'tis a looking glass and not a picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem
No I'm not. I'm merely pointing up a similarity, & speculating on whether that might have been in the author's mind. What I mean by 'baggage' is dragging in things from the primary world/readers own experience & imposing them on the secondary world. Applicability = the secondary world shining a light on the primary world & thereby illuminating some aspect of it. Allegory = forcing the primary world onto the secondary world until it submits.

(Can't believe you thought I couldn't talk my way out of that one )
I am amused by your belief that you know what was in my mind, my intentions, davem. 'twasn't my purpose in making that post, but, then, you often mistake my purpose for your own kind of interest and purpose.

Good day, gentlemen.
Old 07-23-2016, 01:04 PM   #48
denethorthefirst
Haunting Spirit

denethorthefirst has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davem View Post
This always interested me - 'the abyss that awaits you!' 'Fall into the nothingness that awaits you & your Master.'

Gandalf says that the 'abyss' has been prepared for the WK & for Sauron, that 'nothingness' awaits them. Prepared by whom? Only by Eru. Their fate has been decided, their 'free will' taken away? What's interesting is the WK's response: Gandalf fortells that 'nothingness' awaits him, he throws back his hood to reveal...?

Gandalf's threat has failed to cow him - not because it was vain bluster on the Wizard's part, but because what he has threatened has already occured. So the WK can laugh his 'deadly laugh'. I think this is where his sense of 'indestructibility' arises - when he says none may slay him, he believes it, because he knows he has already been slain. What he will threaten Eowyn with later - her flesh shall be devoured & her shrivelled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye - this has been his own fate.
The Witch-King and the rest of the Nazgul are NOT dead and they still have a hroa, even though it is not visible to the mortal eye. They are still human. Sauron cannot deny them the gift of Iluvatar.

Last edited by denethorthefirst; 07-23-2016 at 01:14 PM.
denethorthefirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:24 PM   #49
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
To add a quick point to a long discussion [which I admittedly haven't read yet]:

This chapter highlights the importance of other characters' opinions in forming our own. We learn to love Faramir more from his reputation than his own deeds. This process started in Minas Tirith with Beregond's devoted attitude, and continues here with more from Beregond and love and love and admiration from soldiers and citizens alike. And hearing and seeing such a devoted response and a positive reflection, you end up loving the guy yourself.

A phrase that particularly sticks with me is "he can master both beasts and men" - to be echoed later in the chapter as "he can govern man and beast". This is the description which I associate best with Faramir and by which I would describe him. This is the Aragorn in him - perhaps some Elvish blood but more so his steadfast will and courage, enough of it to go around the men and the beasts. His presence is not bright but it is very steady. Unfortunately his strength is not bottomless, and as the more he shares and the more it is drained the less he has for himself. It is astounding though how much he could accomplish before running out though.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:16 AM   #50
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
White Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
To add a quick point to a long discussion [which I admittedly haven't read yet]:

This chapter highlights the importance of other characters' opinions in forming our own. We learn to love Faramir more from his reputation than his own deeds. This process started in Minas Tirith with Beregond's devoted attitude, and continues here with more from Beregond and love and love and admiration from soldiers and citizens alike. And hearing and seeing such a devoted response and a positive reflection, you end up loving the guy yourself.
Also not reading the whole thread just yet. ;-)

I think you'd be right about loving Faramir more for his rumour than his deeds if you're referring to Pippin. If you're referring to us, the readers, then I think you have to take into account that we've already met him in Book IV and have a pretty favourable impression of him from there--both because of his actions to Frodo but also because those actions are deliberately contrasted there favourably against Boromir.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:04 AM   #51
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
I think you'd be right about loving Faramir more for his rumour than his deeds if you're referring to Pippin. If you're referring to us, the readers, then I think you have to take into account that we've already met him in Book IV and have a pretty favourable impression of him from there--both because of his actions to Frodo but also because those actions are deliberately contrasted there favourably against Boromir.
I would argue that in book IV we see Faramir as an individual. Here, we see Faramir as a leader, a commander, a political figure. We might have liked him as an individual (especially compared to Boromir, as you said), but in this chapter we see him as a trustworthy and loved commander, and inspiring figure, a person who balances opposing Denethor but simultaneously trying to gain his notice. Though we have seen a battle in Book IV, we haven't seen much of Faramir's role in it, and now we get to see more of that.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:23 PM   #52
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Four chapters into Book V, we're also more than half way through the page count: there's a parallel between the slow, almost burdensome pace of the early chapters and the torrid rush through the later chapters and the content of each section. "The Siege of Gondor" is the very nadir of hope in the narrative. Even Gandalf, though he goes around cheering the hearts of men during the siege and resists the Witch-king at the gates, is arguably at his most hopeless. We see this when he falters at the news that Frodo has gone to Cirith Ungol (of all places) with Gollum (of all guides). And perhaps we see it in his much previously-discussed treatment of Denethor.

The fact that we see things through Pippin's eyes always means we don't quite get a full view of things, but I almost wonder if Tolkien is pulling us a bit closer to our viewpoint than usual here. Everything is almost claustrophobic. Wherever knowledge might help us understand, it's hidden away. Thus we see Denethor snap from being proud but involved and rational to utterly bereft of hope. Obviously, the grievous injury to Faramir (another sapping of hope, since we, the readers, share the sentiment that he is the hope of Gondor's future) shakes him, but we are tellingly given the information that Denethor's change comes during the night AFTER Faramir has been brought back. Any elucidation regarding the Anor-Stone must wait till a similar chapter.

Likewise, the hope offered by Beregond defending Faramir (likened above to Sam defending Frodo) isn't actually shown here. Pippin rushes away, leaving Beregond with the dilemma of following orders or saving Faramir, but we don't actually see his choice. For all we know, as Pippin rushes off, Beregond is going to do the dutiful thing (one might say "the Gondorian thing" in a land ofnkess tradition...).

But the very last line is the eucatastrophe of Book V: Rohan has come in the nick of time.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:23 PM   #53
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post

But the very last line is the eucatastrophe of Book V: Rohan has come in the nick of time.

Heralded by a cock crowing, welcoming the dawn. Not just Rohan; the Sun has come at last after days of opressive Darkness and despair. (And of course, to Tolkien, a symbolic reference to the greatest eucatastrophe of them all) When the narrative returns to this point after a chronological retrograde in the next chapter, "For morning came, morning and a wind from the sea; and the darkness was removed, and the hosts of Mordor wailed, and terror took them, and they fled"

(PJ really, really effed things up by shooting all of the Siege aside from the breaking of the Gate in broad daylight)