The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-23-2004, 07:54 PM   #1
Maverick
Pile O'Bones

Maverick has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Tom Bombadil

Hey, I've been reading stuff in the books and on the internet about Tom Bombadil and I was wanting to see what some other people thought about what he was. He had to have some importants to the history of Middle-Earth baecause he was known among the Elves and by Gandalf. After the Ring was destroyed Gandalf really wanted to talk to him.
Quote:
(Gandalf) I believe I shall go and talk to Tom Bombadil. I shall have a very long talk with him. Such a long talk as I have never had befor.
Any ideas on what he was and if he had any real importance in the history of Middle-Earth?
Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 08:50 PM   #2
Thengal
Haunting Spirit

Thengal has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Tom Bombadil is a guardian and caretaker of the forest and a friend of Gandalf.(Hence the quote) I don't think he has any real important part in any way, but he does help along Frodo with the ring and has Frodo tell him about it. Gandalf maybe going to tell Tom about the great war and the fate of the hobbit's and the ring, since he would be curious to know what happened the hobbit's after the stories they shared.
Thengal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 09:30 PM   #3
Elassar 516

Elassar 516 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I personaly think he was a Maia or poosibly somthing more like the ents.
Elassar 516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 10:56 PM   #4
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots

Welcome to the Downs, Maverick. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

You may not be surprised to hear that the issue of Tom's identity is one which has come up many times. This is one of my favourite threads on this question: Derry Dol, Indeed.

There are many others. If you want to find them, its best to try using the search function.

Happy reading. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-23-2004, 11:14 PM   #5
Armetiel
Haunting Spirit

Armetiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

http://tolkien.cro.net/else/bbeier.html

I encourage you all to read this essay, and please tell me what you think about it.

The arguments brought up seem valid to me, and yet I'm not sure if it makes sense in a whole, but it puts a whold new perspective to me on who Tom and Goldberry are.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:19 PM   #6
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Boots

I have seen that essay before, or at least a similar one by the same author.

In my view, it puts forward a good arguable theory as to Tom Bombadil's function within the story, but it doesn't tell us who he is within the fictional world created by Tolkien. After all, the reader doesn't exist within Middle-earth.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:40 PM   #7
Armetiel
Haunting Spirit

Armetiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

^but that's part of the point of the article, to say that Tom's only in Middle-earth as he is reading the book, but he doesn't LIVE there, which is why he can be oldest, but the Ents are the oldest living IN middle earth... but as you read the book you are kind of taken into that world in your mind, I guess you could say.

Not that I'm saying the article is right, it's just an interesting POV. I don't think we'll ever find out Who or What he really is, so IMO there is no "right" answer (however there are some decidely wrong ones)
Old 01-24-2004, 12:04 AM   #8
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Boots

Quote:
Tom's only in Middle-earth as he is reading the book
Which goes against the fiction that Middle-earth is a world that actually existed many ages ago. It rather destroys the assumed reality of the world if we, as readers, feature in it ourselves courtesy of Tom.

And anyway, I could never identify with Tom. All those "Derry Dols" rather put me off. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-26-2004, 10:32 AM   #9
juhsstin
Pile O'Bones

juhsstin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Which goes against the fiction that Middle-earth is a world that actually existed many ages ago. It rather destroys the assumed reality of the world if we, as readers, feature in it ourselves courtesy of Tom.
perhaps that's why he conveyed this notion in "riddle form". sort of an indirect "quip" if you will... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
juhsstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 11:11 PM   #10
Osse
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: The Encircling Sea, deciding which ship to ruin next...could be yours.
Osse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I also have read the above essay... and frankly it dosen't seem conceivable to me.
It seems very un-tolkien, and though on some points it is almost convincing, the theory as a whole is uncompelling.
Old 01-28-2004, 02:16 PM   #11
juhsstin
Pile O'Bones

juhsstin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

would you mind explaining what is so "un-tolkien" about it? i am not a well-seasoned veteran reader of Tolkien, but i have red the hobbit, the sil and lotr in the past year...so maybe i can better understand what you mean by it.
juhsstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 02:20 PM   #12
master_of_puppets

Sting

i found that essay extremely interesting. admittedly at first i wasnt sure if there was much fact on which to base us as readers as Goldberry and Tom but having read the essay through i feel if it not being a the definate answers its definately a plausable one, as there is a very strong argument for it. how many people believe thats the case? i certainly agree Tolkienw went to great length to keep us secure as readers, and to reassure us though.
Old 01-28-2004, 03:10 PM   #13
camomile
Pile O'Bones

camomile has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to camomile
Pipe

Tom Bombalil is an enigma. you are not supose to know what or who he is.

The Letters of J.R.R.Tolkien: pg 174, (not shure you guyse reed books any more, or if you are just reading everthing of the internet these days. but if you do read that is were to find the Quote, that goes as follows
Quote:
And even in a mythical age there must be some enigmas, as there always are. Tom Bombadil is one (intentionaly)
I belive Tolkien speculated himself on who Bombladil was, I fond it unlikely that he had eny clear idea of his identity when he dreamed him up. however he does refur to him as
Quote:
the spirit of the (vanishing) oxford and Berkshire countryside
. this is of corse the area he modled the shire after, so I find it likely that was where he got a good portion of his insperation for the much debated Tom Bombadil
Old 04-16-2014, 06:09 AM   #14
Lotrelf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lotrelf has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Tom Bombadil has always been a fascinating character to me. I haven't read the article(does the link work?). As said previously-- he was an enigma. Something that has no clear answer. But I don't think he was a Maia. Though he Did have much more effect on the story than we realize. Gandalf's conversation with him may be like his meeting with Treebeard. Like how the War ended and the Ring got destroyed. There was another article saying he is evil(only opinionated article). It was flawed but intersting. -!-
Old 04-16-2014, 06:24 AM   #15
tom the eldest
Wight

tom the eldest has just left Hobbiton.
I read in the lotr wikia that tom maybe THE first thing that was created by the creation music,and thus he dont,or even cannot,know death,suffering,etc.he dont know all things that bad,and that why the ring dont have influence over him,and why he cant influence the ring in return.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:06 AM   #16
Erestor
Pile O'Bones

Erestor has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom the eldest View Post
I read in the lotr wikia that tom maybe THE first thing that was created by the creation music,and thus he dont,or even cannot,know death,suffering,etc.he dont know all things that bad,and that why the ring dont have influence over him,and why he cant influence the ring in return.
The reason that the Ring doesn't affect Bombadil is not because of all this, it is because of the characteristics of Bombadil and the way the Ring works. Remember how Sam was influenced by the Ring, how the Ring tried to play in on his own desires for power. This is why the Ring has power over others: they want to change the world according to their own views.

Bombadil is the opposite of both the good guys as the bad guys: Bombadil doesn't care for power, he doesn't want to have control over others. Changing the world isn't his ambition either: he feels that everything has its place in it, someone who's perfectly happy with how the world is. And he doesn't care how the world evolves: he would even forget about the Ring if he was its guardian, as Gandalf said. Because of this mindset, the Ring is totally unable to get a grip on him, to be on his mind. Let alone corrupt him. Tolkien explained it in the Letters (I think 144), but I don't have my copy at hand so I'm not able to quote him.

I once read an article arguing that many people dislike Bombadil because they feel he's an anomaly - contradicting the rules of the world - while he is an enigma - which is a mystery that actually fits the world and its logic.

Last edited by Erestor; 04-16-2014 at 07:16 AM.
Erestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 04:07 PM   #17
FerniesApple
Haunting Spirit

FerniesApple has just left Hobbiton.
I think Tom is a Genius loci, a spirit of place, he only seems to have power within his boundaries, he is as interested in the Ring as a Sunbeam would be, ie its something that is alien to his very being.
FerniesApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 05:02 AM   #18
Tar-Jêx
Wight

Tar-Jêx has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

It's basically a formality to say that we will never know for certain about it.

I personally think he was an Ainu, an especially powerful one, but apathetic to all of the political issues going around. I think he's comparable to one of the Ainur, the one of time, who stayed behind with Eru. He is essentially above such issues, and is content with living his life happily and peacefully, knowing that whatever evil may come towards him, he could probably get out of the situation.

The ring didn't have any hold over him because he didn't really want to change anything, and, as Zigur said, the ring caters towards an individual's desires, of which Tom had none.
Tar-Jêx is offline   Reply With Quote