The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2002, 07:35 PM   #1
Iaragarwen
Pile O'Bones

Iaragarwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting do die-hard LOTR fans like Star Wars?

Ok, I'm just wondering how many of you LOTR fans like or LOVE (like me [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]) Star Wars. For me, I think they are about on the same level as far as my favorite movies are concerned (except episode 1; not the best).
Old 05-22-2002, 07:56 PM   #2
Waenfalathiel
Animated Skeleton

Waenfalathiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

i agree with you. I think that LOTR is a little better though.
Old 05-22-2002, 08:26 PM   #3
Daisy Sandybanks
Wight

Daisy Sandybanks has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Daisy Sandybanks Send a message via Yahoo to Daisy Sandybanks
Pipe

I am not a die-hard Star Wars fan, and to tell you the truth, I don't quite see why everyone loves it so much, though I will have to admit that Episode 1 and the one with the Ewoks(?) in it I liked (though, those were the only two I have ever watched relating to Star Wars).
But in my mind (and in my heart) I will always be a LotR fan, not just for its movie either.
Old 05-22-2002, 08:28 PM   #4
Laiedheliel
Haunting Spirit

Location: A roaming Middle-Earth wanderer in the guise of a Ranger
Laiedheliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Laiedheliel
Shield

Ah, me, I have been obsessed with Star Wars since like 1995, and LotR is my new obsession. Honestly, don't get me started on Ep.1, all I have to say about that is Jar Jar. Personally, I like both the books and the movies of LotR better, but I still love SW!
Old 05-22-2002, 08:36 PM   #5
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

I loved the original Star Wars trilogy. The newer ones, imho, are long on special effects and low on storyline, good dialog, and action. SW1 was tolerable, but the newest one was awfully boring.
Old 05-22-2002, 08:39 PM   #6
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

As a die hard LotR fan i would say that Star Wars is the best science fiction out there. That is only if you count LotR as fantasy. The trilogy is great. Episode one was okay but Jake Lloyd is just a bad actor.Episode Two was verry good tho.... GO YODA!!!
Old 05-22-2002, 09:49 PM   #7
Aosama, the Wandering Star
Wight

Aosama, the Wandering Star has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

One word...
Chewie!
(he's my favourite character). My dad got me interested in Star Wars back when I was way too young to be watching such loong movies, so I'll always have a soft spot for the originals. They were pretty cool! I tried to use the force when I was little. Didn't work...
Aosama, the Wandering Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2002, 03:50 AM   #8
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eärendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I really like Star Wars, since I was a little kid! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Always thought it is very fascinating. But LOTR rules, of course... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] (Star Wars is my 3rd biggest obsession, and LOTR is my biggest, note, I´m not including music in this.) Though, I only like the fantastic trilogy, the never ones...*sigh* piece of s***... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Eärendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2002, 04:48 AM   #9
Lady_Báin
Wight

Lady_Báin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

hear hear!! i don't know about die hard but.... i love star wars though i am reluctant to go and see the seemingly mushy ep.II. i love the origionals and my personal fave was A New Hope. I totally agree that the news ones are a little too close to the sucky side for comfort. (episode one sucked bum, i mean star wars and comedy do not go together [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] ) sigh but i will have to deal [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]

[ May 23, 2002: Message edited by: Lady_Báin ]
Old 05-23-2002, 06:20 AM   #10
Nevtalathiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Nevtalathiel has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

Yeah, the original three were WAY better!
Star Wars is good, but I don't think I could become as obsessed as I am about LOTR!
Old 05-23-2002, 06:58 AM   #11
WillowStarmist

Thumbs up

I really like both, however I would have to say Star wars is my favourite film but lord of the rings is my favourite book... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 05-23-2002, 09:20 AM   #12
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well... Star Wars is good but LOTR RULES!!!!! Of couse that's just the opinion of a Hobbit hugging Elf-friend. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I will say that i was very upset yesterday when 99% of the people on the chatroom (barrowdowns supposed to be a lotr chat room) Shanged their names to Starwars names and started talking Star Wars. I ahve been a LOTR fan since December 13 2001 (the first day I began reading The Fellowship of the Ring) and I will cherish it and defend it with my life.
Old 05-23-2002, 09:20 AM   #13
Araen
Haunting Spirit

Araen has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

My parents let me watch Star Wars at around age 5, I loved them and I have the movies memorized from those days. Epi 1 was horrible, not enough action with Light Sabers, and Epi 2 was much better. But I'll keep on watching them because I love the orignal 3. I was a Star Wars fan before I was a Middle Earth one, [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] .
"Where is the horse and the rider, where is the horn that was blowing, they have passed like rain on the mountains, like wind in the meadow, the days are damned in the west? behind the hills? there are shadows... "
Araen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2002, 11:41 AM   #14
Morquesse
Wight

Morquesse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm not a "die-hard" LotR fan, but I still like STAR WARS. And I didn't think EpisodeI was THAT bad, I mean, there ARE a lot of movies that worse.(and sadly, I've quite a few of them)
And I thought Episode II was very good, diffenetly near the top of my fav.s list. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img](LotR And the Sixth Sense are still tied for first)

~M
Old 05-23-2002, 12:34 PM   #15
ElanorGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElanorGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I really like the original Star Wars trilogy, but I like the LotR movie a lot more. I don't care at all for the new Star Wars movies, though.
Old 05-23-2002, 12:48 PM   #16
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Starbreeze has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Starbreeze
Silmaril

Well, I like Star Wars, and I am very upset that my parents won't let me see Attack of the Clones because of my exams.

To write is to make dreams, to make dreams is to awaken the fantasy of the mind, to awaken the mind is to be a master.
Starbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2002, 01:42 PM   #17
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Auriel Haevasawen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ah, does that explain why you've been missing from us for a while Starbreeze? Take a break and go to the movies for sanities sake.
I have actually explained before that my office where this lovely computer lives is decorated with Star Wars (original trilogy) stuff like the film posters and a five foot high cardboard Darth Vader and a dark blue ceiling covered in stars (glo-dark ones) so you can see that I'm a Star Wars enthusiast but my heart belongs to Middle Earth. If I didn't have to share my house with a partner I'd decorate a room Middle Earth style. I may yet persuade him, you never know. He got the 'Speedy Gonzales' mural on the kitchen wall! Sorry I'm way off topic again, I'll shut up.
Old 05-23-2002, 01:55 PM   #18
nilturiel

Sting

I HAVE TO SAY IM A WAY BIGGER STAR WARS FAN THAN LOTR FAN!IVE LOVED STAR WARS LONGER BUT LOTR IS MY LATEST OBBSESSION! I DONT KNOW WHY PEOPLE HATE EPISODE 1 SO MUCH IT WAS REALLY GOOD BUT THE STORLINE COULD HAVE BEN A LITTLE BETTER! I LOVED EPISODE 2! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 05-23-2002, 02:35 PM   #19
gollum*elf*pup
Shade of Carn Dûm

gollum*elf*pup has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

lol. star wars is okay, but lotr is much better!
Old 05-23-2002, 02:52 PM   #20
Nufaciel
Wight

Nufaciel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I like Star Wars, but I'd be lying if I said I could ever like it better than Lord of the Rings. What I love is the fact that George Lucas has said that his inspiration was Lord of the Rings! (Kinda noticed that by the name of his moon, Endor.)
Old 05-23-2002, 03:55 PM   #21
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I obsess over 3 things:

LOTR
Star Trek
Star Wars

I cannot even begin to compare them they are all so good and so different. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-23-2002, 07:17 PM   #22
Iaragarwen
Pile O'Bones

Iaragarwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes, I knew it! There are some LOTR and Star Wars fans out there! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I do think that the LOTR trilogy is wayyy better than any Star Wars books. But I love both LOTR and Star Wars when it comes to the movies! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-23-2002, 07:27 PM   #23
QuickSlash
Wight

QuickSlash has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to QuickSlash Send a message via Yahoo to QuickSlash
Sting

What? No Star Trek? ^_^ I do like Star Wars, but just the original trilogy. The new movies are a disgrace, and I blame it on his kids, but we won't go there right now. In my opinion, Star Trek is better than Star Wars, but LotR beats them both because of its originality when it was written. Star Trek is this close, though. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 05-23-2002, 07:29 PM   #24
The Fifth
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Fifth has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to The Fifth Send a message via AIM to The Fifth
Sting

I haven't seen AOTC yet. Poor me.
- Ringwraith #5,
Servant of the Eye
The Fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2002, 07:38 PM   #25
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elven-Maiden has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You'd better believe it! Anyone who disses either is looking for a fight!
Personally, I prefered Episode I to Episode II, just as I prefered the LotR books to the movie.
I know it sounds strange, eh, but that's just the way I am! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Mobilis in Mobile
Elven-Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2002, 08:02 PM   #26
Kalessin
Wight

Kalessin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Unfortunately the Star Wars films (like John Milius' Conan) are underpinned by such a feeble moral (or spiritual) philosophy, which is so central to the narrative, that I have a bit of a problem with them. But they can certainly bear comparison to Lord of the Rings as "well-made adventures". And, if I can switch off from the dubious philosophising (don't start me on Yoda), the Star Wars films are indeed reasonably entertaining and visually impressive.

But surely William Shatner is beyond competition. He, Kirk - so much more than effeminate Spock and his ineffectual Vulcan Mind Meld - bestrides modern culture like a slightly chubby but irresistibly pheremonal colossus [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img].

I know you all hate me now. Sorry [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] But for a fantasy with more of an edge, try "Solaris", or even Boorman's "Excalibur".
If it helps, there are of course lots of things I like a lot which I know to be not very good. But I like them anyway ...

Peace
Kalessin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2002, 08:33 PM   #27
Arod
Animated Skeleton

Arod has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arod Send a message via Yahoo to Arod
Sting

I saw the first when I was 5. Have been and always will be a Star Wars fan... I even have an alarm clock (from the 70's) with C3P0 and R2D2 that works! No I'm not selling it! I have some of the Jedi comics and some limited edition sets. Not selling those either! But I've loved these movies eversince I was a kid... always have always will... I just saw AOTC today and WOW!!! I must say it was really impressive... TPM wasn't all that great of a film, but because I'm a fan of the series I do own it. This one (AOTC) was much, much, better! Of course right now my all time favorite is Return Of The Jedi...

So YES I am a fan... of both!
Old 05-23-2002, 08:51 PM   #28
orlandoandsaran
Haunting Spirit

orlandoandsaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to orlandoandsaran
Shield

I just saw Star Wars: Attack of the Clones.
I never saw any star wars flick before and this is my first time. I used to think the old ones were boring. But the AOTC was really good. But it can't beat LOTR...that's for sure. Let's see how loong it will stay in the cinema.
Old 05-23-2002, 09:38 PM   #29
Naaramare
Wight

Naaramare has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Naaramare
Tolkien

I'm a Wars fangirl, but the comparison between my love for SW and my love for LotR is much the same as between coke and tea. The former is a good jazz; the latter is a near-spiritual experience. ^^

si man i yulma nin equantuva? [my blog]
Naaramare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 01:06 AM   #30
Thinhyandoiel
Wight

Thinhyandoiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Thinhyandoiel
Eye

I don't get what's with all the Star Wars. I saw the first three and didn't really like them...am I just odd? (Most likely, eh?)
Thinhyandoiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 10:37 AM   #31
Nevtalathiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

White-Hand

Quote:
The new movies are a disgrace, and I blame it on his kids, but we won't go there right now.
Please dogo there Quickslash, why are his kid to blame? I'm intruiged!
Old 05-24-2002, 02:04 PM   #32
Morquesse
Wight

Morquesse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think I agree with orlandoandsaran & Thinhyandoiel, about the old STAR WARS. I mean, I like the older ones, but I also thought they were slightly boring. And I like episode II better, I think. And Thinhy, if you're odd, then join the club! [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

~M
Old 05-24-2002, 02:56 PM   #33
Beatrice
Pile O'Bones

Beatrice has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

To be honest, guys, I'm not that big on Star Wars... sure, I know the basic plot, and most of names and characters, but I don't know my Star Wars like LotR! I quite well know the history and big names! Not to mention places! I can usually tell anyone anything about lotr, which is not really the case with star wars. I like it, and I could see the movie (though, sadly, I haven't gotten to seeing attack of the clones, yet- [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]), but I'm not a hard core fan for star wars, as I am for lotr. somehow, all the talk of The Force just gets me confuzzled!
Beatrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 06:54 PM   #34
Eowyn of Rohan

Sting

Hello..I'm new to this board but I would like to say that I have been a Star Wars fan for years and only recently a LOTR fan..another movie that I love and like to put up with Star Wars and LOTR is The Matrix although it doesn't have the same concept as LOTR and SW..of course some of my favorites are historical type of movies (not necessarily about true events)like Gladiator, Braveheart, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, etc. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-24-2002, 06:59 PM   #35
GreatWarg
Shade of Carn Dûm

GreatWarg has just left Hobbiton.
Question

*bounces around irritably* Lookie me! Don't get me started on Star Wars. Epi. I was good, Epi. II was not so good. LOTR I hope can do better than them in the Oscars, considering that Epi. II didn't seem to be good enough. But Saruman aka Count Dooku was cool!
Old 05-25-2002, 08:23 AM   #36
Jennah

Sting

How very funny, Starwars and Lordoftherings being compared. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Each story is unique in their own field as are a ballet dancer and a gymnast. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-25-2002, 08:53 AM   #37
Nevtalathiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

White-Hand

But also similar, both ballet and gymnastics and LOTR and SW can be seen as similar.
Old 05-25-2002, 09:28 AM   #38
Cimmerian
Shade of Carn Dûm

Cimmerian has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cimmerian
Sting

Star Wars the story has been around longer(in terms of exposure) and to a wider range of people because it was initialised as a movie, with a basic concept of good triumphant over evil with a lot of attractive special effects. This appeals to a lot more people than say 'the read books form cover to cover again and agian' people that are more likely to read LOTR.

Of the people who like movies, and there are a lot more of them than the ones who just read, many have found LOTR rather hard to follow.
Yes diehard fans of LOTR will enjoy the movie but may not like the more basic and glossed over approach of SW. Lotr has a theological approach that appeals only to the true readers of the story. Star Wars is meant for entertainment.

TPM was far from bad, it has become a fashion for so many to parrot the opinions of some selfcentered critic. SWep1TPM made more money than Titanibleah.
AOTC tops TPM however.
Old 05-25-2002, 02:00 PM   #39
Tarlondeion Of Gondolin
Haunting Spirit

Tarlondeion Of Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I love Star Wars I thought Episode 1 was pretty bad but I think that Episode 2 was as good as the first three. Tolkien is better though
Tarlondeion Of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 02:04 PM   #40
Arod
Animated Skeleton

Arod has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arod Send a message via Yahoo to Arod
Sting

Okay I've seen LORT 6 times and AOTC 2. They are totally different. With the exception of very, very, very awesome special effects artist!!! They creat things we can only dream.

Both were great films. I must say though AOTC is really awesome with the effects! Not that LORT is below it in any way shape or form but it was really good and I was much happier with this second edition than with TPM. The two have similar underlying conflicts to overcome... destroying the evil forces that threaten the very exhistence of life as they know it. Oh and they both have evil characters played by the same actor!!! LOL! Is Count Dukoo like Saruman? Well, yeah. LOL!

Both films were long. Only AOTC had more of a "wrapped up" ending... Which doesn't really matter too much to me cause as I've said before it really isn't over til the third one anyway...

The special effects category is heating up!!! So far this year I've been a very happy movie goer!! Several times...