The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > The New Silmarillion > Translations from the Elvish - Public Forum
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2003, 06:14 PM   #1
Valdae

Silmaril Mae carnen!

Its been a long time since I visited these boards, last time I was unfortunately that sick of cramming the Hobbit, the LOTR and the Silmarillion into my mind in such a short space of time, that i simply stopped visiting these forums.
However, due to the clouds falling like post apocolyptic ash onto a warzone, I re-picked up the books and am back here with a lust to learn more of the Elvish language.

I just wanted to say that I am very very impressed with what has been done. Your work on the development on the new Silmarillion is something I greatly admire. I wish I could help out but unfortunately my lack of general Quenya/Sindarin understanding skills puts me at someone of a disadvantage (i.e n00b).

However I would like to wish you all the best of luck in your efforts. Well done for what you have accomplished so far.

Līn bād peliannen i vād na dail līn. Si boe ś-dhannathach.

Hannon le, for all your good efforts.
Old 06-30-2003, 06:26 AM   #2
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Helkahothion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Helkahothion Send a message via AIM to Helkahothion
Eye

Quote:
What does that mean. The languages fascinate me. I have not yet found the time to learn them. I am that far that I know what Hanon le means. So I try to use the phraze as much as possible. And Mae Carnen is also known. I tried printing the course but they are too damn big. So I guess it will take a while for me.

Abedithon le,

Anuion
Helkahothion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 08:48 AM   #3
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Quote:
I just wanted to say that I am very very impressed with what has been done. Your work on the development on the new Silmarillion is something I greatly admire. I wish I could help out but unfortunately my lack of general Quenya/Sindarin understanding skills puts me at someone of a disadvantage
Thank you for your encouraging words - but I fear you have misunderstood the purpose of the project. No doubt some confusion has been caused by the title "Translations from the Elvish" - we are translating neither from or into Quenya or Sindarin. The project is aimed at compiling a more complete and correct version of the Silmarillion than the one published by Christopher Tolkien.

We'd love to have your help with the project, if you are interested. For more information, take a look at the "Introduction to the Forum" thread.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 02:57 PM   #4
Valdae

Sting

Your path is spread before your feet. You will not fall now.

Not to be confused with..
Si peliannen i vād na dail līn. Si boe ś-dhannathach.
Which means
It is already laid before your feet. You cannot falter now
and is said by Arwen I think somewhere in TTT I believe.

As for helping. My knowledge may be alittle thin, but I will be happy to offer any opinions I may have. The Silmarillion is a fantastic book indeed, though I wish i'd payed more attention when I read it. I will re-read over it though, aswell as the Introduction To The Forum thread and will make a decision soon.
Old 07-06-2003, 10:06 AM   #5
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
Tolkien

Quote:
we are translating neither from or into Quenya or Sindarin. The project is aimed at compiling a more complete and correct version of the Silmarillion than the one published by Christopher Tolkien.
So you are trying to make a better and more correct version of it? That's very interesting. I didn't know, I've always been curious what you are doing here. Now I know... Good Luck!

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 07-06-2003, 12:40 PM   #6
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Helkahothion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Helkahothion Send a message via AIM to Helkahothion
Eye

A question, why is it closed to others. It would asume very fascinating to see how it works. Or are you planning to get this on the market as a new product?

Abedithon le
Helkahothion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 08:36 AM   #7
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Quote:
A question, why is it closed to others. It would asume very fascinating to see how it works. Or are you planning to get this on the market as a new product?
It's really not closed to others - that is, pretty much all of the actual work goes on here in the public forum. The private forum was created a while back as a place to post the various final texts.

All one needs to do to gain access to the private forum is to officially join the project - if you're interested, just send me a private message.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote