The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-15-2006, 04:37 AM   #1
Melilot Brandybuck
Animated Skeleton

Melilot Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
So what happens to murdered elves?

I know that elves are immortal. But what happened to the elves whose bodies were killed by, say, orcs? Like the faces of dead elves that Frodo and Sam saw in the Dead Marshes? Also, I believe there's a line in TTT that Shelob was guilty of drinking the blood of elves. I take it from this information that elves can die.

So, what happens to an immortal elf when his body perishes? Does his soul go to some sort of purgatory, doomed to wander aimlessly, mourning the loss of his physical body?
Old 03-15-2006, 05:02 AM   #2
Telperaca
Animated Skeleton

Telperaca has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

[?]

They physical self is damages, which prevents their souls residing withing; which pass to the Halls of Mandos?

[/?]

Telperaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 08:33 AM   #3
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
It was my understanding that when an Elf who dies physically by means of grief or violence his soul passes to the Halls of Mandos, where he may remain as long as he likes before being either reborn as a child or simply being given a new body and returning to Arda.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:53 PM   #4
Earendilyon
Wight

Earendilyon has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyHallu
It was my understanding that when an Elf who dies physically by means of grief or violence his soul passes to the Halls of Mandos, where he may remain as long as he likes before being either reborn as a child or simply being given a new body and returning to Arda.
The 'reincarnation in their children' was an early idea of Tolkien (found in, if memory serves, The Books of Lost Tales), but which was later dropped in favour of the latter 'scheme' mentionned by JennyH: after some time residing in Mandos and pondering about their past lives, they were reincarnated in their newly built bodies to live in Valinor. Only a few exceptions are known, e.g. Miriel and Fëanor. As far as I know, only one Elf ever returned to Middle-earth after dying and reincarnation in Valinor: Glorfindel.

Dominus Anulorum

TolkienGateway - large Tolkien encyclopedia.
Earendilyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 01:02 PM   #5
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
Thank you for clearing that up, Earendilyon. I knew that only one of those was correct, but I wasn't sure which one.