The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-26-2002, 01:12 AM   #1
Túroch
Wight

Túroch has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien How were you introduced to Tolkien?

When did you first read the books and who introduced them to you. My mother practicly read the LoTR and The Hobbit to me when I was in the cradle and read it to me countless times. When I could read I began to read them anually. It wasn't untill a year ago that I really started reading the Sill and the Book of Lost Tales (and how cool they are). How did you start on Tolkien?
For the valour of the Edain the Elves shall ever remember as the ages lengthen, marvelling that they gave life so freely of which thay had on earth so little. But it is not for thy valour only that I send thee, but to bring into the world a hope beyond thy sight, and a light that shall pierce the darkness." Ulmo - Lord of waters
Túroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 02:29 AM   #2
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Three years ago Barrow-wight said "hey, read this," and I was all "huh? ok."

[ November 26, 2002: Message edited by: burrahobbit ]
Old 11-26-2002, 03:20 AM   #3
Pookabunny
Wight

Pookabunny has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Pookabunny
1420!

Shame on me - I read the books when I first saw the movie trailer. I wasn't much of a reader before, but now that I'm out of school, I read ALL THE TIME.
I was amazed at the trailer and decided to read the books before I saw the film. Fell in LOVE with them and now I'm addicted.
Old 11-26-2002, 03:59 AM   #4
Pallando B.C
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pallando B.C has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Pallando B.C
Sting

I read The Hobbit in 6th grade and I am thankful to say that i read LotR before the movie.
I have read the Silmarillion ( which is the best of all Tolkiens books ) and in the process of reading Unfinished Tales. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Support The Aussies!
Pallando B.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 04:00 AM   #5
Pallando B.C
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pallando B.C has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Pallando B.C
Sting

Ohh whoops! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] I forgot the actual topic. My father introduced it to me.

Support The Aussies!
Pallando B.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 04:50 AM   #6
Arwen_Evenstar
Wight

Arwen_Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I saw the FotR first... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] naughty I know...
Then I read the books twice and I am half way thoroug the Sillmarillion, but I cant get a hold of the books of Lost Tales! [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2002, 09:14 AM   #7
Kiara
Animated Skeleton

Kiara has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My dad always read to us when we were little: Chronicles of Narnia, Hobbit, etc....He recommended LoTR to us, and I was the first of us kids to get through it. I loved it so much, I then proceeded to consume the Lost Tales, and afterwards tried the Silmarillion. I dead-ended there 'cause I think it was a bit too complex for me at that point. I have now re-read the Hobbit 2 more times and the same with the Lord of the Rings, only I listened to it the 3rd time through: Ever listened to the unabridged version read by Robert Inglis? It is so good....It was such a good way to go through the book that now I'm trying the same thing for the Silmarillion (different reader, but very good!).
"What if you slept, and what if in your sleep you dreamed, and what if, in your dream, you went to paradise and there plucked a beautiful flower...and what if when you awoke, you held that flower in your hand? Ah, what then?"
Kiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 10:01 AM   #8
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

I had a record that my dad bought when I was little that told the story of The Hobbit, and when I was eight my dad and I read The Hobbit. When I was twelve, my dad and I started reading LOTR together. In the middle of high school I read it myself, more slowly, and I really started to get into it. I owe my Tolkien experience to my Dad.
Old 11-26-2002, 11:44 AM   #9
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

My dad got me addicted to Tolkien very early on. He read the Hobbit to me the first time when I was maybe six, then I read it myself continually between the ages of eight and, um, well I'm still reading it constantly. Dad tried reading the Trilogy to me for the first time when I was eight, but I really didn't have the attention span to handle it then. When my dad found out that LotR was being made into a movie (movies, sorry), he insisted that I read the books. I had no objections; I had been meaning to read the books for ages. I was about 3/4 of the way through Fellowship for the first time when I saw the Movie. Then, when I got home, I cheated and read ahead into TTT to find out what happened to Merry and Pippin. As of currently I have read the Trilogy six times, and am on my seventh time through, and am half through the Silmarillion. After that, Lost Tales is next on my reading list!
Old 11-26-2002, 12:03 PM   #10
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

LePetitChoux has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to LePetitChoux
Sting

Oh, I'm so embarrassed! I saw the movie, then read the books... But I love it and am on RotK foe the 2nd time now. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2002, 02:07 PM   #11
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i was about three when i first heard the stories. its actually one of the earliest memories i have of my life. god knows who read them... some family person...
Old 11-26-2002, 02:08 PM   #12
Túroch
Wight

Túroch has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Well from what i'm reading here a lot people started LoTR because of the movie. Even if I have an axe to grind against Peter Jackson I am glad that his movie has introduced so many to the world Tolkien. My good friend who had been interestd in LoTR but didn't want to read it is now devouring the trilogy.
For the valour of the Edain the Elves shall ever remember as the ages lengthen, marvelling that they gave life so freely of which thay had on earth so little. But it is not for thy valour only that I send thee, but to bring into the world a hope beyond thy sight, and a light that shall pierce the darkness." Ulmo - Lord of waters
Túroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 03:40 PM   #13
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My parents also read to me. They read me the Hobbit and LOTR. Latter I read it to myself. Then I watched the movie and read LOTR a couple more times along with the Sil and UT and various other books by Tolkien.
Old 11-26-2002, 03:47 PM   #14
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

am i the only person who found the silmarillion boring?
Old 11-26-2002, 04:10 PM   #15
Galadrie1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadrie1 has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I was introduced to Tolkien when my fourth grade teacher read the class "The Hobbit". She didn't read the last chapter (she did that for every book she read to us [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] ) so about a year later I checked it out of the library and read the whole thing.
"For this is what your folk would call magic, I believe; though I do not understand clearly what they mean; and they seem to use the same word of the deceits of the Enemy. But this, if you will, is the magic of Galadriel."
Galadrie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 04:46 PM   #16
Maylin Talese
Pile O'Bones

Maylin Talese has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I found out about LotR in fourth grade, when i was reading a bo on C.S Lewis, but the author of the book made it sound long and boring. I took me a while to commit to reading them, now I reread about twice a year. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Maylin Talese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 05:38 PM   #17
Demloth of Dol Amroth
Wight

Demloth of Dol Amroth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i started to read LOTR on the prompting of a friend, Nytesky on this site, around the time the first movie came out, and read through the series a couple times. then i read the Silmarillion a few months later at least 2 times, and realized i had arrived in middle-earth and was not going to leave. surprisingly, i only read unfinished tales once-shame on me. ironically, i read the hobbit only a couple months ago, and because it was for school-shame on me! oh yes, my dad is being a heretic-he says FoTR is boring-which is only because of the hobbit's singing! i can sort-of sympathize-it took an agonizingly long time to get through the section on the barrow-downs. it was rather boring, IMHO-don't tell BW! i'm also trying to get a copy of the sil so i can reread it again...DON'T LOOK AT ME LIKE THAT!! i'm one of those weird people who absorb long and to most people boring histories-i don't even study for my advanced placement history tests and ace them. i'm also curious about these other books other than the ones mentioned above that i keep hearing about. can someone explain?
Old 11-26-2002, 09:27 PM   #18
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dûm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
Sting

Collette took me to see the movie with her and I instantly feel inlove! Sadly I didn't know there was more, and I got really mad because of the ending, but the Collette told me there was going to be 2 more movies because its a book trilogy! Right after the movie I went straight to Borders book store which was right next to the movie theater, and bought the books!
Faye Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 04:40 AM   #19
Ringannunwen
Animated Skeleton

Ringannunwen has just left Hobbiton.
My grade 6 teacher read the hobbit to us. my friend read the lotr books and she lent me the books, then i bought the books. i read the books. i luved the books. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2002, 01:46 PM   #20
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Helkahothion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Helkahothion Send a message via AIM to Helkahothion
Well for christmas my cousin gave me a puzzle of Lotr (woth the movie charctars on it. At that time lotr did not came into my vocabulary. Then my mother sayd:"why don't you go see the movie"(bless my mother) So I went. I loved it. ANd 2 weeks later I barrowed the book from a friend. And now I am reading it for the second time.

p.s. the puzzle isn't finished yet.( I was never a great puzler. I only completed legolas's part)
________
PREMACY AND MAZDA5

Last edited by Helkahothion; 03-07-2011 at 02:00 AM.
Helkahothion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 02:17 PM   #21
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I was told many times about it at my friends house, because they've all read it, but I was prompted into actually reading it by the movie. I've only read the trilogy, my sister's stolen the hobbit (even though it is her's) and taken it away to university with her.
Old 11-27-2002, 02:48 PM   #22
Krumtakh the Obtuse
Pile O'Bones

Krumtakh the Obtuse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

When I was in sixth grade, we had to read a small excerpt of the hobbit as an assignment, but I didn't pay much attention to it. But last year, in August, some people in my guild (I still play on neopets. :rolleyes [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] were talking about how great LotR was, and I decided to read it, and I loved it!

I have read LotR and the hobbit a bunch of times, and the Silmarillion twice.

[ November 27, 2002: Message edited by: Krumtakh the Obtuse ]
Krumtakh the Obtuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 09:33 PM   #23
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

When my brother and I were little, my mom read the Hobbit to us in bed every night. It took a couple of weeks to get through the whole book (we had short attention spans), but it was worth it. We loved it. Right after that, Mom attempted to read Fellowship, but we only got to "Strider." Le sigh. So it was several years later that I read Fellowship after that--shortly before the movie came out--and I finished TT and RotK not too long after. I've been totally hooked ever since!

~*~Orual~*~
Old 11-27-2002, 09:51 PM   #24
Lindril Arvilya
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: In a box at the end of Harrison Ford's street, with a pair of binoculars
Lindril Arvilya has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

My mum wouldn't read to me once I learned to read myself.... I could read faster on my own and got fed up with the reading out loud part. But whenever I went to her asking for a new book, she'd give me a nice thick one (well, was at the time) such as The Hobbit. I got through it and was bored. Years later (four years ago?) I started on Lord of the Rings, and gave up just at the start of RotK- I'd read the first two in less than a week. Picked up the book six months later and had forgotten all the names. Reread them from the start and loved every minute. How odd. I need my own copies of The Sil and Unfinished Tales... Christmas is coming....
Old 11-28-2002, 12:44 AM   #25
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My mum read the hobbit and lotr to me when I was about 6 or 7. I could have read it for myself but it was a bit complicated for me. I've been hooked on it ever since, I've read LOTR about 5 times (I'm on the 6th time at the moment) and I've read the hobbit 3 times . I really wanna read the Silmarillion and all the other books but I can't find them any where!
Old 11-28-2002, 08:37 PM   #26
nerddogs
Pile O'Bones

nerddogs has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I read the Hobbit when I was in 9th grade after playing D&D for the 1st time. That was 21 years ago!
nerddogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 10:43 PM   #27
Sasha

Eye

My dad used to read it to me all the time too [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I guess i was under his influence then [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2003, 05:01 PM   #28
aragornreborn
Wight

aragornreborn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My Dad checked out the Hobbit audio cassettes from the library and we listened to it on a long car trip. I absolutely loved it! A few years later, someone gave me LOTR for my birthday. I started reading it, but I thought it started out kind of slow at the time, so I stopped. Then I saw FOTR, ran home, and read the the trilogy in about a week. Then I read the Silmarillion and the Hobbit. I need to read the Lost Tales or whatever it is they're called.
At the name of Jesus every knee should bow and every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. - Phil. 2:10-11
aragornreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 05:17 PM   #29
Malamute
Pile O'Bones

Malamute has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hmmm....

I read the hobbit when i was in i believe 6th grade for the first time... i ran across it when i was looking at D&D stuff for the first time. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Then in 7th grade my literature teacher had us read the Hobbit and critique it and do a project based on the story. (he was pretty cool indeed).

I then proceded to read through the trilogy over the next year.
Old 01-11-2003, 05:18 PM   #30
Peri
Wight

Peri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I was introduced to the book "The Hobbit" by my sixth grade teacher Mr. Brown. I thought it was a great book. I read the LOTR trilogy when I heard they were going to make the books into a movie.
Old 01-11-2003, 06:32 PM   #31
Nenuial

Shield

my pa started reading the hobbit and i was like why would read that kind of crap. but know i am sooo amshamed of myself for thinking that cause after my dad introduced it to me ive been hooked. i read so much know and tolkien is the greatest!!! right now im reading the sill and i got to say at first it was kind of hard to get past the first couple of pages but....this is the BEST book ever. u gotta read it. ok we enough of my bordem.
Old 01-11-2003, 07:39 PM   #32
MYyyPreciousSS
Wight

MYyyPreciousSS has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MYyyPreciousSS
Ring

I was (as most people here it seems) introduced to the books by my dad. Though, to tell the truth, I did see the movie before I read the books. Yet, the thing is, when I first saw FotR I wasn't all that impressed. I thought it was a good movie, but it wasn't what started my obsession. What started it was when my dad and I where (for some odd reason) talking about riddles. So my dad comes out with "The Hobbit" to show me some good examples. I read them and was intrigued, so, I read the chapter. I loved it and its now my favorite chapter ever. I especially liked Gollum, and wanted to read more, so I did, and it went on from there. And that is how it all started for me, I saw the movie again and it then became my favorite movie. I really do have to thank my dad for bringing it all to my attention.

"My Preciousss" - the line that started the obsession.
MYyyPreciousSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 07:42 PM   #33
Eglaladiel
Haunting Spirit

Eglaladiel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

lets see....ummm...a year or so before the movies came out....then again when i heard they were making a movie (and saw it)...and then again over the summer hols... yup... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2003, 07:45 PM   #34
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadel Vinorel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Galadel Vinorel Send a message via Yahoo to Galadel Vinorel
Tolkien

I was introduced to Lord of the Rings through my best friend, who made me read The Hobbit a few weeks after FOTR came out in theaters. We then went and saw the movie, and read the LOTR Series. I have been hooked on LOTR ever since.

It is an addiction!! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I LOVE LOTR!! I am sorry now that I never heard about Tolkien before the the FOTR movie came out, but oh well.... *sigh* [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I LOVE LOTR!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
“Words can never convey the incredible impact of our attitude toward life. The longer I live the more convinced I become that life is 10 percent what happens to us and 90 percent how we respond to it." -Charles R. Swindoll
Galadel Vinorel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 08:16 PM   #35
Hopefever

Pipe

i saw FOTR first then I read LOTR, the hobbit and SIM. I liked the movie better.
Old 01-13-2003, 03:42 PM   #36
Fincarnwen

Sting

When I was 10 (in a previous Age!) I was annoying my older cousin - he gave me LOTR and told me to sit down and read it or he was going to kill me. I took him at his word, and started reading. I was instantly hooked!
Old 01-13-2003, 03:48 PM   #37
Balin999
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Balin999 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Balin999
Sting

At 13, I read about the books, actually in an article about a one-man-black-metal-band called Burzum. It was about a guy that shot another black-metal guy. The murder was calling himself "Grishnakh". Before I read LotR, I thought it was a satanic story (silly me!) but I was suprised positively.
Since then I can't let go of LotR and Middle-Earth.
I also think of it as something real, by now. Sometimes it helps me to escape reality (better than drugs, I guess).

...The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, but conformity...

...Everything is possible, except to ski through a revolving door...
Balin999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 09:09 PM   #38
Aeryn Evenstar
Pile O'Bones

Aeryn Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm the consumate Star Wars junkie, but my little brother is into the fantasy genre. He got the LOTR book about a year before the first movie came out and started telling me about it and I got interested. So I bought the book and was hooked from the start. Now I've read more than he has on it! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Aeryn Evenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 09:29 PM   #39
Carrûn
Wight

Carrûn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I was introduced to Tolkien by a childhood neighbor who read the Hobbit to me and her kids. At the time I didn't really remember the story but they lived on a Girl Scout camp so we had quite a bit of fun playing dwarves. She never got around to reading LOTR to us as the dad died of cancer & they had to move. I think from there the local librarian who was a friend of my moms saw me returning the Hobbit one day and handed me the other ones saying I should try them. At as it goes, history became legend, legend became myth...
Old 01-14-2003, 10:53 PM   #40
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elven-Maiden has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

My friend must have known about the movie coming out, because he kept bugging me to read them, and it wasn't until after I finished the Hobbit (and was waiting for Santa to deliver the rest) that I found out about the movie.

Mobilis in Mobile
Elven-Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote