The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2009, 09:33 PM   #1
merpcon
Newly Deceased

merpcon has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien Events 2010

Tolkien Moot VI (previously MerpCon) will be taking place in Spokane, Washington, 2010, July 30th through August 1st.

The event includes noted Tolkien scholars and authors as guest speakers, games placed in Tolkien's world, food and more. Details will be posted at http://www.tolkienmoot.org, but for information on previous years (when it was still called MerpCon), check the site http://www.merpcon.org. Watch for more details in coming months.
Feel free to email for more information: webmaster at tolkienmoot dot org.
merpcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:17 AM   #2
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Happy New Year! 2010 is here, and it's time to start planning for the upcoming events.

The German Tolkien Society's Seminar will take place in Jena, Germany in late April or early May. The topic is "Tolkien and Romanticism". I'll add the exact date when it's available.

The DTG's annual members' event, Tolkien Thing, is scheduled for July 15 - 18, 2010, in Bad Hersfeld, Germany.

The Tolkien Society's Oxonmoot will be held in late September in Oxford, England.

Ring*Con will be in Bonn, Germany from October 15 - 17.

Details and additions to follow.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:23 AM   #3
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
...not to forget the very first Tolkien event of the year - the Birthday Toast! Please stand and raise a glass of whatever you choose to drink at 9 pm this evening with the words "The Professor!"
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 01-03-2010, 10:33 AM   #4
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Too bad that Jena, Bonn and Bad Hersfeld are all a bit too far away from Karlsruhe for me to attend, although I have now discovered there is a local fans' gathering in Karlsruhe which I plan to attend from now on.

If anyone here happens to come from the Baden region, it would be nice to meet you there.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:17 PM   #5
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Nice site relating to The Festival in the Shire event this August - with some interesting stuff. http://festivalintheshire.com/journal/index.html Check out the Daphne Castell interview with Tolkien from 1966:
Quote:
He finds it surprising and pleasing that the “Lord of the Rings” has had such a success. It seems to him that nowadays almost any kind of fiction is mishandled, through not being sufficiently enjoyed. He thinks that there is now a tendency both to believe and teach in schools and colleges that “enjoyment” is an illiterate reaction; that if you are a serious reader, you should take the construction to pieces; find and analyse sources, dissect it into symbols, and debase it into allegory. Any idea of actually reading the book for fun is lost.

“It seems to me comparable to a man who having eaten anything, from a salad to a complete and well-planned dinner, uses an emetic, and sends the results for chemical analysis.”

Last edited by davem; 01-18-2010 at 05:24 PM.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:36 PM   #6
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
That interview is splendid. The extra details of Beruthiel are especially fun, as is hearing of Tolkien's two favourite parts of LotR.

Perhaps my favourite quotation is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolkien
My heart is in my works, not on my sleeve.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:32 PM   #7
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'm outraged by the price for Festival In The Shire. Ł260 and no accommodation or feast?! You can get all that plus bed and board at Oxonmoot!

As for paying Ł50 for tickets to go and look at first editions, if anyone wants to come and look at some here you can have a special entrance offer price of Ł29.99, with a free cup of tea
Old 01-19-2010, 04:11 PM   #8
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
I'm outraged by the price for Festival In The Shire. Ł260 and no accommodation or feast?! You can get all that plus bed and board at Oxonmoot!
Its to keep the plebs out....

Quote:
As for paying Ł50 for tickets to go and look at first editions, if anyone wants to come and look at some here you can have a special entrance offer price of Ł29.99, with a free cup of tea
(er, before the 'Treasure hunters' start getting excited may I just point out that the only 'First Editions' we have are The Sil & UT, & a A&U h/b set of LotR from 1965 - which does contain the first edition text, but is only worth about Ł75on a good day..... but Lal does still charge people Ł29.99 to see them......)

Last edited by davem; 01-19-2010 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:48 AM   #9
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
What.....?

These prices include general admission to the Festival, but not to the Collectors Exposition. The different entrance prices are geared toward different levels of interest; beginner to experienced, however we encourage you to become experienced by purchasing a Collectors Exposition ticket also.

Surely you can't buy experience (well... debatable)...but I can't believe gawping at first editions and even upmarket merchandising tat will do it..

After all the great thing about books is that they are essentially the same if you have a mint first edition or a tattered paperback..

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:00 PM   #10
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Surely you can't buy experience (well... debatable)...
That's the thinking behind this - as it was behind the Exeter College Tolkien do a few years back which cost Ł695 for a 5 day conference (but that was full board, admittedly). I'll be interested to see whether this gets many takers.

Quote:
After all the great thing about books is that they are essentially the same if you have a mint first edition or a tattered paperback..
My feelings exactly. I get annoyed by the antics of this academic clique that seems to have claimed 'superior' knowledge. They seem to be doing exactly what Tolkien condemned in that quote I gave earlier:

Quote:
He thinks that there is now a tendency both to believe and teach in schools and colleges that “enjoyment” is an illiterate reaction; that if you are a serious reader, you should take the construction to pieces; find and analyse sources, dissect it into symbols, and debase it into allegory. Any idea of actually reading the book for fun is lost.
Don't get me wrong - I've enjoyed a lot of the stuff Shippey, Flieger & Garth have produced, but what's coming out now is increasingly esoteric & obsessed with trivialities, & appears only in expensive journals & talks at these kind of conferences. Been there, done that, got the high price books (& they're all in the attic now). However, I recently bought a lovely old (1974) hardback set of LotR, (replacing a set I owned & lost in the early '80's) for Ł38, & am still basking in a nostalgic glow every time I look at them.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:09 PM   #11
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Don't let your heads get too big for your hats.....

Bad news for those planning to go to the Festival

http://www.cambrian-news.co.uk/news/i/4453/
Quote:
The Festival in the Shire which celebrates all things Tolkien, is a three-day event which was due to take place in August at Y Plas and was attracting celebrated academics, artists as well as film buffs and fans.

However, organiser Mark Faith said this week that the event had now been moved to Pafiliwn Bont, in Pontrhyfendigaid due to space problems and a lack of support from the Plas management.

Cllr Bob Dunn, who manages Y Plas on behalf of Machynlleth Town Council, said that every effort had been made to ensure suitable premises were offered for what he said was a “new and innovative event for the community”.

In a report, due to be discussed by Machynlleth Town Council at their full meeting next Monday (1 February), Cllr Dunn said: “Simply put, there is a difference of opinion between the organiser and us whereby he feels that we should virtually close Y Plas and its grounds for three days and turn them over to him, while I am mindful of the rights of our tenants and our public.”
New site is about 30-odd miles further away.....
Old 02-13-2010, 02:32 AM   #12
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Festival Journal2 is up http://www.festivalintheshire.com/journal/index.html Nice stuff- Interviews with artists like Ted Naismith, John Howe, & one of my faves Rodney Matthews (for those unfamiliar with his work, here's his Rivendell)
Old 03-11-2010, 03:59 AM   #13
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The Tolkien Seminar in Jena (Germany) will be held from Friday 23.04.10 to Sunday 25.04.10
I'm looking forward to going there and meeting Esty again! This years topic "Tolkien and Romanticism appeals especially to me. I always had the impression that Tolkien had a lot in common with the romantics.

Here's a link to a schedule and abstracts of the lectures:http://seminar2010.kolbitar.de/

Last edited by Guinevere; 03-11-2010 at 04:04 AM. Reason: the link wasn't correct
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:44 AM   #14
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
This prompted me to look for news of the UK seminar - there isn't but I found a reminder of Tolkien Reading Day a couple of weeks away on 25th March.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Old 03-13-2010, 11:43 PM   #15
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dűm

Laurinquë has been trapped in the Barrow!
Hmm . . . I wonder. Any chance of a Tolkien event somewhere on the Pacific coast of North America this autumn or winter? Preferably in the vicinity of Northern California or Oregon.

I'm moving out of the uncultured land of Alaska and looking for a bit of fun.
Laurinquë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:19 PM   #16
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Tolkien Do let us know how you get on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere View Post
The Tolkien Seminar in Jena (Germany) will be held from Friday 23.04.10 to Sunday 25.04.10
I'm looking forward to going there and meeting Esty again! This years topic "Tolkien and Romanticism appeals especially to me. I always had the impression that Tolkien had a lot in common with the romantics.
Thanks for telling us about this, Guinevere! Could you let us know how you get on?
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:27 AM   #17
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

The Tolkien Soc website claims that booking is open for Oxonmoot but isn't showing the costs atm...
Old 05-30-2010, 07:06 AM   #18
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Booking is certainly open now.
I just booked my place.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:25 AM   #19
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

I guess I'm the only Downer who's a member of the German Tolkien Society, so I won't be meeting any of you there, sadly. However, there are so many wonderful people coming and interesting activities scheduled that I am very much looking forward to this (extended) weekend!

More infos: Tolkien Thing, July 15 - 18 2010
Old 07-21-2010, 04:29 AM   #20
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

It was a fabulous weekend! Tolkien people are such a wonderful bunch, the programme was interesting, and we all had a really great time! For those of you who live in or near Germany, I can only recommend joining the DTG, or at least starting by visiting one of the local "Stammtische" (smials) in your area.

Now the next event is coming up. Who's coming to Oxonmoot this year? Hookbill has booked, so have I.

If enough of us are interested and bring something appropriate, we could enter the costume competition as a group of "Wizards of Many Colours" - anyone want to join me? My new wizard costume might be just *slightly* non-canonical, but I did my best to fit the character into Tolkien's world.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:06 PM   #21
merpcon
Newly Deceased

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurinquë View Post
Hmm . . . I wonder. Any chance of a Tolkien event somewhere on the Pacific coast of North America this autumn or winter? Preferably in the vicinity of Northern California or Oregon.

I'm moving out of the uncultured land of Alaska and looking for a bit of fun.

well this is somewhat near there, Tolkien Moot 2010 is tsking place in Spokanee, washington August 13-15. Www.tolkienmoot.org
Old 07-24-2010, 05:19 PM   #22
merpcon
Newly Deceased

Quote:
Originally Posted by merpcon View Post
Tolkien Moot VI (previously MerpCon) will be taking place in Spokane, Washington, 2010, July 30th through August 1st.

The event includes noted Tolkien scholars and authors as guest speakers, games placed in Tolkien's world, food and more. Details will be posted at [url] but for information on previous years (when it was still called MerpCon), check the site [url] Watch for more details in coming months.
Feel free to email for more information: webmaster at tolkienmoot dot org.

Actually a correction on the dates for Tolken Moot, it is taking place in Spokane Washington USA, August 13-15. Also this year the special guests are "Elven Singer" Rehtaeh, and she will be singing a new song from her upcoming 4th album (world premiere of this song), and published Tolkien author and essayist Michael Martinez will be speaking. There will also be another edition of "Raw Hobbit", youth Tolkien panel, and much more. Seats are neary full, so RSVP today. For those who can not make the event in person, it will once again be streamed live over multiple webcams, live audio sreaming, and interactive real time chat rooms for the Q&A sessions.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:25 AM   #23
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
It was a fabulous weekend! Tolkien people are such a wonderful bunch, the programme was interesting, and we all had a really great time! For those of you who live in or near Germany, I can only recommend joining the DTG, or at least starting by visiting one of the local "Stammtische" (smials) in your area.

Now the next event is coming up. Who's coming to Oxonmoot this year? Hookbill has booked, so have I.

If enough of us are interested and bring something appropriate, we could enter the costume competition as a group of "Wizards of Many Colours" - anyone want to join me? My new wizard costume might be just *slightly* non-canonical, but I did my best to fit the character into Tolkien's world.
I will once again appear as Pallando.

But we don't want a gaggle of Gandalfs do we, we need another blue wizard and a brown one, a white and a grey.

Last edited by narfforc; 07-27-2010 at 07:28 AM.
narfforc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:00 AM   #24
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Don't worry, Narffie, I won't come as a gaggle of Gandalfs, neither grey nor white. As a matter of fact, I won't come as a blue or brown wizard either. It is possible, you know, that there were wizards Tolkien forgot to mention in the books...

OK, we have you as blue, hopefully Hookbill as brown, me as .... - any other takers?
Old 07-28-2010, 09:57 AM   #25
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
Don't worry, Narffie, I won't come as a gaggle of Gandalfs, neither grey nor white. As a matter of fact, I won't come as a blue or brown wizard either. It is possible, you know, that there were wizards Tolkien forgot to mention in the books...

OK, we have you as blue, hopefully Hookbill as brown, me as .... - any other takers?

Balderdash the Bazaar......... Incognito the Indigo......... Guppie the Green......... Larry the Lavender....... Bumpkin the Pumpkin ..... come do tell.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:36 AM   #26
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

I'm actually planning on doing a Turin costume (complete with 'kick me' sign for my back ) for this years Oxonmoot. But I can abandon it and pull Radagast out if we're wanting a uniting of our magical Downer powers.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:29 PM   #27
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Would this mean I would have to pack the wizard's hat as a "carry on"?
Old 08-14-2010, 03:00 AM   #28
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Hmm. Seems my Turin costume has to be abandoned due to a helmet malfunction and a lack of 'can be bothered' on my part. Looks like Radagast is back on the cards if you guys want a wizarding theme.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:49 AM   #29
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hooky it would be perfect, we now need a grey, a white (Saruman pref) and another blue ............any takers.
Old 09-18-2010, 05:29 PM   #30
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

This time next week I'll be singing The Ballad of Gil-galad at some party in Oxford...
Old 09-28-2010, 04:07 PM   #31
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
1420! Link to some photographs of Oxonmoot 2010

Here's a link to some photographs taken at that event:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4590911.../oxonmoot2010/
Old 10-16-2010, 02:25 PM   #32
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

thanks for the link! But sadly, I can't spot any Downers on these pictures... (I should especially have loved to see Esty's costume!)
On the other hand, the terrible illumination at the party makes it almost impossible to take decent pictures.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:51 AM   #33
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Esty is on Pge 3, she is dressed in pink with pom-poms, also I think that Hooky has posted some on Facebook.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:42 AM   #34
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril Esty is there

To back up narfforc, Esty is the one in pink with the pom-poms. You're quite right, Guinevere, that 'the terrible illumination at the party makes it almost impossible to take decent pictures'. This year was no exception.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:28 AM   #35
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Well, I never!!
I really didn't recognize her. Somehow I had expected a group of wizards...
Old 10-17-2010, 10:02 AM   #36
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Let the masks begin!

Oxonmoot seemed slower this year, but possibly that's because for me it was sandwiched between two weeks of intensive sightseeing with Estelyn Telcontar, both in England and in Germany.

I enjoyed Angie Gardner's lecture on materials for her forthcoming book on the Tolkien brothers and especially was delighted to see documents that the Estate will not allow to be published. Tolkien had a great sense of humour and a lively sense of fun. And Faramir Jones uncovered another historical horse story. (I think he belongs in Rohan, not Gondor--and I have been told to remove the Big Grin smilie here because it counts as an image along with the pictures. ) It was also a great delight to meet Anke Eissmann, the Tolkien illustrator. I've admired her work for several years and particularly like her depiction of female characters. In fact, I came home with prints of both her Luthien and Goldberry.

The highlight for me was seeing the fanflic Born of Hope on the large screen and listening to a talk by the director/producer and one of the actors. Seeing the orc latex face mask was neat. I wish I had been able to get a picture of one of us wearing it! Or handling that bow with arrows!

But I did get these shots.

The usual suspects, a smaller fellowship this year:

Hookbill, Estelyn, and Poison Ivy:

Behold the Pink Wizard, with Poocheroth, and an evil, red-eyed Radagast! That's Faramir's ear on the left and Squatter's on the right.

Last edited by Bęthberry; 10-17-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:15 AM   #37
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Shield Great photos!

Thanks for putting up those photos, Bęthberry!

I liked the stories about your sightseeing, including with Esty, before you both got to the 'moot. I also spent some time in the UK before the 'moot, including a couple of days in Oxford. I managed to be part of a group shown around Merton College on the Thursday, which I found very impressive, knowing among other things that it was where Tolkien spent the last part of his academic career.

While I didn't go to Angie's lecture, I'll be very interested to read her book. Instead, I went to Dimitra Fimi's lecture on 'Tolkien and the Faries: Faith and Folklore'. (www.dimitrafimi.com)

Perhaps you're right about me here:

And Faramir Jones uncovered another historical horse story. (I think he belongs in Rohan, not Gondor--and I have been told to remove the Big Grin smilie here because it counts as an image along with the pictures. )

About Anke Eissmann:

It was also a great delight to meet Anke Eissmann, the Tolkien illustrator. I've admired her work for several years and particularly like her depiction of female characters. In fact, I came home with prints of both her Luthien and Goldberry.

I agree with you completely. I talked with her a little, enjoyed her company very much, and like you bought some of her prints.

I concur about Born of Hope, which can be easily accessed here:

www.bornofhope.com

It was nice to see and hear the accounts by some of the main people involved in it. Another highlight for me, however, was the Middle-earth spoof weather forecast, which can be seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-Y0DY0zNzk

The main reason I go to the Oxonmoots is the people, my fellow Tolkien fans, including fellow Downers, both those I've met before and those I'll meet for the first time.