The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 07:24 PM   #1
TheLostPilgrim
Haunting Spirit

TheLostPilgrim has just left Hobbiton.
The Hobbit: A baby Bilbo scene?

Quote:
In a recent interview with stuff.co.nz, Sir Ian McKellen revealed that scenes including Gandalf and a young Bilbo were filmed for “The Hobbit: and Unexpected Journey.”"Sir Ian says during the film’s development [he] has been forthcoming with Jackson and his co-writers Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens. For one, he felt that the relationship between Gandalf and Bilbo needed a little history. He suggested a scene showing the wizard being introduced to a baby Bilbo and his mother Belladonna Took and it was shot. He’s not sure if the scene will make the final cut of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, but his suggestion was taken seriously. ”We see Gandalf observing this little boy who’s full of beans and full of adventure. And I let him play with [a] toy dragon that I’ve got.” And, when he’s thinking, ‘Who should we get? Oh, there’s that little boy.’ And he goes back to Hobbiton to meet this little boy who’s now grown up and is a real stodgy, dull, settled, unadventurous person. And he’s so disappointed. ‘What happened to you? Come on! You’ve got to go on an adventure, it’ll be good for you. Get back your childish enthusiasm!”’
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012...b_source=pubv1
TheLostPilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:21 AM   #2
LordPhillock
Animated Skeleton

LordPhillock has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Skype™ to LordPhillock
It's honestly not surprising to me, given what other changes and additions they're implementing.

Even though it is somewhat accurate to what happens in Tolkien's writing, I don't see this addition to be necessary what-so-ever, since the original book had no problems conveying the characters groundwork without a flashback of any kind. That 500 Million budget ain't gonna' spend itself, I guess.
LordPhillock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:37 AM   #3
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I get the impression that they work on the principle that no one has any sense or imagination and everything has to be shown. Too much to expect the audience to understand Gandalf's comment about being so addressed by Belladonna Took's son....

Captain Obvious all over again

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 11-24-2012 at 06:44 AM.
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:37 AM   #4
TheLostPilgrim
Haunting Spirit

Though from a cinematic perspective perspective, it makes sense...It's hard to convey on film that inside Bilbo has this adventurous side waiting to burst out. It's conveyed in the novel through use of the narrator but that's harder to convey in a film. Also, in the book, it's never TRULY explained why Gandalf chose Bilbo in particular outside of having a friendship with his ancestors. Got to give an on-screen reason for why Gandalf sees Bilbo as being worthy or fit for such a perilous quest.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:05 AM   #5
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLostPilgrim View Post
Though from a cinematic perspective perspective, it makes sense...It's hard to convey on film that inside Bilbo has this adventurous side waiting to burst out. It's conveyed in the novel through use of the narrator but that's harder to convey in a film. Also, in the book, it's never TRULY explained why Gandalf chose Bilbo in particular outside of having a friendship with his ancestors. Got to give an on-screen reason for why Gandalf sees Bilbo as being worthy or fit for such a perilous quest.
Another example of why people ought to read the books first. Not that I'm opinionated, or anything.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:28 AM   #6
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Martin Freeman's Bilbo doesn't really look stodgy, dull and settled to me, though.

In fact, he looks rather like Frodo should have looked.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:34 AM   #7
LordPhillock
Animated Skeleton

Quote:
all that you have described could have easily been possible through dialogue, facial expressions, and positioning of exposition within the film. For example, Gandalf using most of this information in the form of a dramatic explanation as a way to convince Thorin to keep him on their quest as they have a small argument after the "unexpected party" at Bag End.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:41 PM   #8
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordPhillock View Post
all that you have described could have easily been possible through dialogue, facial expressions, and positioning of exposition within the film. For example, Gandalf using most of this information in the form of a dramatic explanation as a way to convince Thorin to keep him on their quest as they have a small argument after the "unexpected party" at Bag End.
The whole story could have been told via dialogue - and you'd have a radio play. Its a film & the central philosophy of film is 'Show, don't tell'. I've been one of the biggest critics of the LotR films on this forum, but frankly I've mellowed - its a film & as long as the books are still going to be around I'm not too bothered what they put in the film - either they'll work as films & be entertaining in their own right, or they won't & a lot of people will lose both face & money, but either way the books will still be there & say what they always have - apart from whatever changes/amendments Christopher Tolkien decides to introduce Whatever PJ has changed in the film version, only CT has introduced posthumous alterations to the text of the book (300-400 changes in the 50th Anniversary edition of LotR)- which has annoyed me far more than anything PJ has done.

So nerr
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:04 PM   #9
TheLostPilgrim
Haunting Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem View Post
The whole story could have been told via dialogue - and you'd have a radio play. Its a film & the central philosophy of film is 'Show, don't tell'. I've been one of the biggest critics of the LotR films on this forum, but frankly I've mellowed - its a film & as long as the books are still going to be around I'm not too bothered what they put in the film - either they'll work as films & be entertaining in their own right, or they won't & a lot of people will lose both face & money, but either way the books will still be there & say what they always have - apart from whatever changes/amendments Christopher Tolkien decides to introduce Whatever PJ has changed in the film version, only CT has introduced posthumous alterations to the text of the book (300-400 changes in the 50th Anniversary edition of LotR)- which has annoyed me far more than anything PJ has done.

So nerr
What changes did CR introduce to the 50th anniversary edition?
Old 11-24-2012, 05:13 PM   #10
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
What changes did CR introduce to the 50th anniversary edition?
I was curious about that as well.

On the face of it though, I'd still be much more apt to trust CT's motives and judgement in changing things than any film maker's.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:18 PM   #11
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
I was curious about that as well.

On the face of it though, I'd still be much more apt to trust CT's motives and judgement in changing things than any film maker's.
I started a fred about it many, many years ago, where its fairly obvious that I'm right in my objections & all those who disagree with my (typically) eloquent & apposite points are just embarrassing themselves. http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=11338
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:28 PM   #12
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
I started a fred about it many, many years ago, where its fairly obvious that I'm right in my objections & all those who disagree with my (typically) eloquent & apposite points are just embarrassing themselves. http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=11338
Ah. I started a fred marathon once but was seized with the urge to fake a heart attack halfway through.

I'm not a CT minion, but I do play one on TV.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:04 PM   #13
LordPhillock
Animated Skeleton

Quote:
The whole story could have been told via dialogue - and you'd have a radio play. Its a film & the central philosophy of film is 'Show, don't tell'.
Well, well... someone forgot that it depends on what is more important to show and what is more important to tell. Three lines of dialogue or a whole 3-minute sequence of unnecessary excessive ham? Filmmaking, I'm afraid, is a bit more complex than that; and with cinema, concise is not an unfamilliar word.