The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-13-2006, 03:22 PM   #1
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
WWJ IV: Let the insanity ensue

In the pleasant town of Squaresville, all was going well. Until one day an unthinkable terror swept through the streets. The nerds of the little town felt the terror descend upon them like the clammy hand of death. Yet none could guess the evil that was waiting for them once the sun set…

Welcome to WWJ IV: Let the insanity ensue.
~*~*~

Werewolves~ Three werewolves are lurking in the town. They are trying to kill as many villagers as possible. When the number of wolves is even with the number of villagers, the wolves have won. The wolves may PM during the night phases, but not the day. At the end of each night they must PM me their choice.

Ranger~ Each night the ranger picks one person he thinks is innocent to protect from the wolves. He may not protect the same person two nights in a row and he may not protect himself. PM me with the name before the end of the night phase.

Hunter~ Each night the hunter picks one person they suspect as being a wolf. In the untimely event of the hunter death by the wolves the person he picked will die alongside him. PM me with the name before the end of the night phase.

Seer~ Every night the seer picks one person to dream of. The next day he spends trying to convince the rest of the villager of that person’s innocence or guilt. PM me with the name before the end of the night phase.

Villagers~ May only talk during the Day phases. They try to pick the wolves out from other villagers and the gifted. May not PM each other about the game or talk about it on other threads.

*No double-lynching. (I know it can be fun…) In the event of a tie of votes the person to first receive the highest number will be chosen.

*No retractable votes

*Votes should be written on a separate line and bolded like this:

++Kitanna

*Please, try to have your vote for the Day in 10 minutes before voting is closed.

*The game will be split into two phases. Night and Day phases will last for 24-hours. During the Day villagers try to pick the wolves from the other villagers. During the Night wolves and gifted villagers think about who they’d like to kill, protect, or dream of.

*Day and Night will begin at 3 PM CST (GMT -6).

*When Day ends no more posting on this thread.

*Remember to put on your invisible mode.

*Do not edit your post except to change spelling/grammar errors or to state a cross-post.

*You can tell the village you are a wolf or a seer or what have you until the cows come home, but you cannot provide PM’s or anything of the like as evidence in proving it.

It is now Night 1, Wolves may PM each other. I need a name from the seer tonight.

The Players
1) Thinlómien ~ Penguin-fisher
2) JennyHallu ~ Friendly neighborhood tax collector
3) Eonwe ~ Hermit
4) Wilwarin ~ Mathematics professor
5) Sleepy Ranger ~ Messiah of Rock 'n' Roll
6) Firefoot ~ Person who runs the stables
7) Roa_Aoife ~ Local protestor/ lobbyist
8) Valier ~ Dance instructor
9) Nogrod ~ Pipe-weed grower
10) Elu Ancalime ~ Brass Musician
11) Gandalf_the _white ~ Magician
12) Folwren ~ Seamstress
13) Mithalwen ~ Baker/confectioner
Old 02-14-2006, 02:37 PM   #2
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The villagers of Squaresville awoke and went about their daily chores like they did every day. Not one thing seemed amiss. The sun was shining, the birds were singing, and the villagers were going about their business.

“Anyone seen Kitanna this morning?” Sleepy Ranger asked as he tuned his guitar.

No one answered, none of them had seen Kitanna all morning. Normally she was out and about spreading her pessimistic ways to others. Her not so cheery disposition and her angry rants had become an everyday part of the villagers’ lives. Not seeing her grumbling and presenting the glass as half-full was a little strange.

“Maybe she’s not feeling well.” Firefoot suggested.

That seemed a pretty responsible explanation. But as the morning progressed, more and more villagers felt a great sense of foreboding. Finally Wilwarin spoke up and announced she would go see what had happened to Kitanna.

The villagers followed to the small cottage Kitanna had called home. Someone knocked, nothing stirred within. Again they knocked and not a sound.

Gently Folwren pushed the door open. “Anyone home?”

They stepped inside. Papers were scattered everywhere, a desk was knocked over, chairs were broken and there, tied to a rickety wooden chair, was Kitanna. All the fingers on her right hand broken and her left index finger cut clean off. Protruding from her chest was a golden handled letter opener.

Next to her lifeless body was a letter scrawled in blood. It appeared that her missing finger had been the pen in this little note. “One down, ten to go."

LIVING
1) Thinlómien ~ Penguin-fisher
2) JennyHallu ~ Friendly neighborhood tax collector
3) Eonwe ~ Hermit
4) Wilwarin ~ Mathematics professor
5) Sleepy Ranger ~ Messiah of Rock 'n' Roll
6) Firefoot ~ Person who runs the stables
7) Roa_Aoife ~ Local protestor/ lobbyist
8) Valier ~ Dance instructor
9) Nogrod ~ Pipe-weed grower
10) Elu Ancalime ~ Brass Musician
11) Gandalf_the _white ~ Magician
12) Folwren ~ Seamstress
13) Mithalwen ~ Baker/confectioner

DEAD
Kitanna (mod)~ Stabbed with a letter opener

Wolves stop PMing.

Last edited by Kitanna; 02-14-2006 at 03:00 PM.
Kitanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 02:48 PM   #3
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Dreadful news, I say, dreadful! The wolves shall have to be caught, of course, or we will all end up dead like dear Kitanna, may her soul rest in peace.

Strategies can be discussed, of course, but it seems to me that there really aren't any good strategies for catching wolves, not this early on. The best way seems to be for everyone to speak up frequently, contribute thoughts, and then everyone vote for the one who seems most wolvish to them, leaving us with a clean voting record for future reference. Hardly a high-tech plan, but it seems to be the one that would work the best. Other people may propose them, of course, and even if they are not used, they will at least give us something to talk about on this first day when evidence seems so slim.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 03:14 PM   #4
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I can't believe Kitanna is dead!...She was a lovely dancer and her shoes I might add were fantastic. Werewolves eh? How horrible! Those harry beasts are hiding amongst us! I say everyone show me your shoes!!! Wolves I would assume would have horrid shoes. We must weed them out! They must all go! I say again all of you show me your shoes!(Well what else do we have on the first day? )
Valier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 03:29 PM   #5
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
Kitanna! Dear, bright Kitanna who was perpetually up-to-date on her taxes! Such a tragic loss to our community...

In my opinion, the culprits are probably not taxpayers, as I have utmost respect and love for those of us who honor and uphold the law.

Therefore, I'm afraid I must look with some suspicion on Sleepy, Elu, and Roa. I'm sure all can agree that rebelliousness (and occasionally wolvishness) go hand-in-hand with such careers as they have chosen.

Therefore, if those three would kindly show Valier their feet, we can go about making a case!
Old 02-14-2006, 03:35 PM   #6
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
What a terrible way to die. Having a letter opener thrusted into her chest at a 78.3 degree angle must have been very painful. I hope we can get these wolves out of our small village before it becomes even smaller.

I think what Firefoot said is the only way that we can go. Day1 doesn't provide us with very much information, so it's pretty much just a shot in the dark.Atleast if everyone posts a few times and votes we'll have something to go on tomorrow.

I'll return a little later.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:14 PM   #7
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Now how come you all seem so intent on going after those with the less-upstanding appearances? Wolves can hide in a fair skin just as easily as a foul skin, if not easier because people are so obviously inclined not to go after them. If I was a wolf (which I assure you, I am not), I would go about keeping up appearances, clean shoes as well as a clean tax record, just to keep people's eyes away. And what have shoes got to do with wolves anyway? They aren't going to wear shoes when they're wolves, that's for certain.

My point being that we need to look at the upstanding citizens as well as the lower class ones. To name a few... what were Folwren, Mithalwen, and Elu doing last night? Hmm?
Old 02-14-2006, 06:15 PM   #8
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

I must say my dear stablemaster that shoes have everything to do with wolves..Well as far as I'm concerned. But we should also look at poor dancing skills because I am quite sure wolves can't dance gracefully.

Well everyone seems awfully quiet, come on out wolves!! We will get you sooner or later...How about sooner...That sounds good to me!
Old 02-14-2006, 06:49 PM   #9
Elu Ancalime
Shade of Carn Dűm

Elu Ancalime has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elu Ancalime
Quote:
what were Folwren, Mithalwen, and Elu doing last night? Hmm?
Well actually Firefoot, I was at Symphonic Band sectionals.....but anyway.....

Quote:
the birds were singing,
GASP!

This is indeed not werewolf, but a new species of werebird!!! (by day, a nightengale, but by night, fell beast!?)

Just Kidding. Birds dont have thumbs.

EDIT: In AP world history my teacher told me that if cities the Mongols/Yuen dynasty conquered didnt pay up all their valubles, they would torch and slaughter all of the people....Maybe Kitanna didnt pay her Mod Taxes.....
________
VAPORIZER REVIEWS

Last edited by Elu Ancalime; 03-03-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Elu Ancalime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 07:52 PM   #10
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
Nope. Checked my records, she was good. Fellow citizens, this was a foul crime, perpetrated by foul, fiendish...um...fiends. And the worst part is, it was one of us. Well, actually, one of you, as I was quite innocently counting out my money, while eating bread and honey, and waiting for my clothes to dry.

Looking at some research on werewolves, I have found that werewolves are quite often not born, but are created through a curse...therefore, we cannot look at past behavior as sign of evilness. Just darned unluckiness. Therefore I am changing my search through tax records. Instead of bringing up those who haven't paid, I'm flagging for your perusal those who couldn't pay.

FOR THESE REASONS:

I fear we must focus our search on Eonwe. Long has she dwelt near our happy village, but she must not like us, for does she ever come into town to pay her taxes? Praise the penguins? Lend an ear to our joyful music? And who could be happy without the company of the wonderful people of the village?

And while she may have seemed innocent in times past, her secluded dwelling place have left her without defense from the terrible curse. And so, it is with a heavy heart that I contemplate the perhaps necessary demise of our dear local hermit.

I fear this heavy thought means I need sustenance. Mithalwen, may I have a muffin?
Old 02-14-2006, 07:54 PM   #11
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

A day already fated to be rather unproductive is growing more and more so by everyone's silence... I sure hope posting does pick up here soon or when I vote in the morning it may just be for someone who hasn't posted because at this rate it's going to have to be random anyway because no one really seems to be posting.

And if that's going to be the way it is, voting will undoubtedly be all spread out and of little use anyway. I'd like to suggest limiting the voting in some way, except that seems likely to narrow our chances of bagging a wolf. But... what if we were to just pick four random people off the list and say "vote for one of them" - just to narrow our results?

If nothing else, I'd like to generate a bit of discussion here, see where it leads. Thoughts?

Edit: cross-posting with Jenny.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:57 PM   #12
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Perhaps we should simply vote for the last person to lend their voice to our discussion.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:49 PM   #13
Eonwe
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eonwe has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Werewolves, eh? You don't say...

Quote:
Just Kidding. Birds dont have thumbs.
At least not opposable thumbs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny
Perhaps we should simply vote for the last person to lend their voice to our discussion.
As often as not, you have to use a prosedure similar to this on the first day...

On an aside, Kitanna, could you post the death on exacly on teh hour its due, that way my browser automatically translates teh time to EST and i don't have to think about it? Im really not very good at shifting time zones...
Eonwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:02 PM   #14
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Oh, dear Kitanna! Clearly she was a victim of the system in which she lived! (I always knew those politicians werewolves in political clothing.) So, werewolves are among us. Indeed, we can no longer trust our neighbors. So, what shall become of us?

Jenny, you're mighty hasty to throw those accusations around when we have nothing to go on.

I think it would be best if we took the full time for everyone to post and reply before making decisive accusations like that.

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 10:37 PM   #15
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Simply having everyone vote for the last contributor would not be the best plan, I do not think. For one thing, it creates an automatic bandwagon and Day 2 becomes almost as useless as Day 1, because if s/he is innocent, both wolves and innocents will have voted for him/her and there will be no discrimination. The wolves can hide easily in this scenario. The same works if s/he is a wolf. I would much rather see spread out votes than everyone voting for the same person. Additionally, some people will have to vote much earlier than others, so the last person who contributes may not have contributed by the time the first person votes.

I hope to see the remaining half of the village speak up sometime before I vote when I wake up tomorrow morning...
Old 02-14-2006, 10:40 PM   #16
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roa_Aoife
Jenny, you're mighty hasty to throw those accusations around when we have nothing to go on.
Oh I am perfectly aware that they are all shots in the dark. And indeed, here. Let me complete my Day 1 analysis:

Thinlomien ~ Where did he get the penguins? Do the penguins mean he's guilty?

JennyHallu ~ Innocent as a lamb. But paranoid, definitely paranoid.

Eonwe ~ In such a (well I thought it was) perfect village as this, why would she want to be a hermit?

Wilwarin ~ Well, if he's a wolf, we're probably doomed. He's probably smarter than us.

Sleepy Ranger ~ Messianic claims? Seems wolvish.

Firefoot ~ Hmm...likes horses...well, actually I think Fire is probably innocent. Otherwise the horses would be scared.

Roa_Aoife ~ Never trust lobbyists. Same as salespeople. Very nice, but not on your doorstep.

Valier ~ With her grace and flexibility she could dance around any of our suspicions. And the shoe obsession is just weird.

Nogrod ~ I haven't got anything...but maybe he's just trying to fly under the radar. Probably a wolf.

Elu Ancalime ~ I'm married to a brass musician, actually. Trombonist. Elu is a wolf.

Gandalf_the _white ~ See Wilwarin

Folwren ~ Seamstress...hmm...See Nogrod.

Mithalwen ~ Sorry, it'll take me a long time to distrust the cookie-maker. If you're a wolf, Mith, I'll cry. Oh, and where's my muffin?

Last edited by JennyHallu; 02-14-2006 at 10:43 PM. Reason: cross-posted with Firefoot
JennyHallu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 11:09 PM   #17
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sleepy Ranger has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via MSN to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via Yahoo to Sleepy Ranger
Pipe Edited for accuracy...

Wait? What? Murdered with a letter opener? I call shenannigans! I mean yer all just over-reacting she obviously died listening to Britney Spears... we ought to lynch her...

But if you insist that she was murdered here are my opinions on the public-

1) Thinlómien ~ Penguin-fisher - This chica is pretty cool. Shes always at my concerts with those weird guys in suits.

2) JennyHallu ~ Friendly neighborhood tax collector - This womans a cool
person herself except for when she tries to kill me over taxes. I mean that is so not cool dudette. And dearie, I ain't claiming nothing. I am the Messiah of Rock 'n' Roll! Wait... did I say kill?

3) Eonwe ~ Hermit - I've never seen her speak or heard her move... is she even alive? I mean watsupwiddat?!?

4) Wilwarin ~ Mathematics professor - Two plus two equals Thomas Jefferson is all I have to say.

5) Sleepy Ranger ~ Messiah of Rock 'n' Roll - This dude reeks of awesomeness, hes got a really cool band which is just full of high octane coolocity. I mean really, hes just awesome. This guys so hot that I hope you got sunglasses and hands off unless you want the burned off! Form a single line for autographs please.

6) Firefoot ~ Person who runs the stables - I've seen her around at my concerts, shes alright.

7) Roa_Aoife ~ Local protestor/ lobbyist - Shes been around at my last few
concerts, she even has an autographed photo of the band. This could only mean one thing... STALKER!

8) Valier ~ Dance instructor - Have you ever seen her tearing up the floor at one of my concerts? No? Well neither have I though I do believe she stole one of our surveillance cameras.

9) Nogrod ~ Pipe-weed grower - I like this guy... >_>

10) Elu Ancalime ~ Brass Musician - Pretty cool guy, played back-up for us once.

11) Gandalf_the _white ~ Magician - He opened our show once,
professional guy.

12) Folwren ~ Seamstress - She has way too much stress in her job, maybe she ought to kick back and come to one of my concerts yea. That would definately reduce the stress. Of course then she'd be a seam but thats beside the point.

13) Mithalwen ~ Baker/confectioner - She provides free cake for my concerts how could she be evil?

In the end I suggest we lynch Nogrod. Why? Because theres a chance he may offer free pipe-weed to be not killed.

---
My apologies if my post offended anyone. It was made solely for entertainment purposes.

Last edited by Sleepy Ranger; 02-14-2006 at 11:13 PM.
Sleepy Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 03:04 AM   #18
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Just checking in and delivering muffins ..... carbs are good for shock. WIll post properly at lunchtime.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 04:20 AM   #19
Gandalf_the _white
Wight

Location: In crazy captions waving an angry fist at the outside world
Gandalf_the _white has just left Hobbiton.
hmmm i don't think i'm too smart this is only my second game but i did survive till the last night in my first game (where bits of me were used to send a message lol) since we don't have retractable votes i'll probaly vote later if i get chance but it will be a random one as i can't have any suspicions on the first day!!
Gandalf_the _white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 04:21 AM   #20
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Sorry. I must have overslept. And now hands full of work amidst this catastrophy! If I'm not into packing my newest brand immediately, they will dry out and I'll be in ruins. I shall come to discuss this terrible situation in a couple of hours time.

Still. My instinct would say, that someone with a rebellious or otherwise anti-social character could the one we are looking for. It's true, that evil may have a hideout anywhere. But as we have no other clues right now, I would like to know what f.ex. Eonwe or Roa have been doing last night.

Sorry, I'll have to go now. Coming back soon.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 04:26 AM   #21
Gandalf_the _white
Wight

Location: In crazy captions waving an angry fist at the outside world
Gandalf_the _white has just left Hobbiton.
well nogrod you could say that but werewolves can be quiet and stay out of the way this can be just as good a tactic as being a loud mouth.
Gandalf_the _white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 05:23 AM   #22
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via AIM to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via MSN to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via Yahoo to Sleepy Ranger
Leaf

Since I'm your resident rock star heres a song in tribute of our dear Kitanna.

He slings his guitar off his back and strums it bit before starting a bit of tune. He then begins to play 'Gone Away' by 'The Offspring'. A tribute to a friend.

Maybe in another life
I could find you there
Pulled away before your time
I can't deal, it's so unfair

And it feels, and it feels like
Heaven's so far away
And it feels, yeah it feels like
The world has grown cold
Now that you've gone away

Leaving flowers on your grave
To show that I still care

He then cuts off and begins to play at a softer pace, letting the song fade away.

Rest well, Kitanna our dear friend. My next concert is dedicated to Kitanna, five of the clock, Sunday evening. May our music soothe your soul Kitanna. And friends, may we bring down the swift justice of ROCK 'N' ROLL He strums a few chords upon the vile fiends who commited such an act.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:30 AM   #23
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Well, I won't be around again in time to vote, so the time has come for me to cast mine. I don't see anything particularly wolvish about any of you and today has thus far been completely useless, despite my efforts to avoid this.

++Gandalf_the_white

Nothing personal. It's pretty much random.

But may I ask you all one more time... can we try to get some useful discussion out here during the remainder of the day? I don't care what we discuss - strategy, probably, as that's about the only thing there is - but try to discuss something, it makes the day at least somewhat more productive and informed. I tried to get you started but no one really responded.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:06 AM   #24
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Well. Back from work then. A couple of sacks, the finest quality.

But Firefoot is right. We should have a plan of some sorts. I would compare this to a game of chess: even a rudimentary and clumsy plan is better than just moving randomly around.

Of course one can always roll a dice to decide, but thats kind of stupid. Has someone been overtly nice or overtly aggressive? Or non-existent, invisible? I would start on those premises.

Ayone here, who has lived in village where this kind of things have happened before? First time in this village, and I've lived here all my life.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:22 AM   #25
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Sorry this will be quick because I must get back to my deliveries (ie the RL work connection is as slow as a lame tortoise). However I will be around later and up to the deadline so I do not have to rush my vote.

I am sorry that RL has made Firefoot have to rush hers though, since on the surface she does seem slightly more suspicious than anyone else - posting first always looks suspicious to me. Also she has posted a lot and slightly contradictorily - first saying that there is no plan then suggesting we limit the vote (which as I am sure our resident professor could confirm) is unlikely to improve our chances.

However she admitted this herself so it may be that she was merely trying to stimulate debate. I hope she won't take this too personally. I am very grateful for the high esteem that she holds those of us that work in plain trades (especially since our village is so highly populated with those who work in the more glamourous but less steady entertainments industry).

Jenny can confirm that my taxes were filed accurately but only just on time. I need the deadline to be really scary before I can face the tedious paperwork. We bakers find numberwork hard (our dozen is 13 afterall!) .. so I really will need my attempts at statistics checking.

Today is bound to be random. We can not expect our Seer to be explicit so early. I think it is far too early for a voting strategy. We may well not find a wolf today - statistically we are most likely to choose an innocent (fortunately a Gifted is the least probable) but today's discussion may well be useful later on.... so it provedfor one of my kin in a similarly afflicted village recently.

I hope there will be a lot more to go on on my return. I feel mean for concentrating on Firefoot now but her posts have given most scope for discussion.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 08:28 AM   #26
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Mithalwen's quiet wisdom has inspired me to fight off my paranoia, and perhaps to take a closer look at someone I felt inclined to trust. Truly her baking and cooking has allowed her unique perspective and time for contemplation.

Her advice, stated briefly seems to be as follows:

1) Spread the vote, to maximize the evidence we have to analyse tomorrow.

2) Understand we have little to go on.

3) Take a close look at those who have spoken often, especially Firefoot.

Alas, my mission in the Civil Service has left me no time to see the workings of other villages, and so I fear it will be difficult for me to realize when the members are acting suspiciously or merely eccentrically. So let us take a slow and careful look at our heretofore trusted Stabler:

Her reaction was first, yes, but surely we must all agree that if we are to combat this threat to our homes and livelihood, someone must post first. However, I find her initial statement interesting.

Quote:
Strategies can be discussed, of course, but it seems to me that there really aren't any good strategies for catching wolves, not this early on
She goes on to suggest the best plan is to enjoy the benefits of a wide and active discussion, and suggests voting for whomever seems most wolvish to one's self at the end of the Day.

Later, she bemoans the silence of the village, but I have no experience to tell me whether or not our little village was truly relatively silent. More interesting, to my eyes at least, is her suggestion that we limit our voting by selecting a range of four random people. This seems an about-face from her earlier suggestion to vote by individual conscience, which would, in the absence of any real evidence, ensure a fairly wide spread of votes.

Her next post is another about-face, stating explicitly that a well-spread out vote is the best chance of catching a Wolf.

And finally, her vote for Gandalf. I do not criticise this vote, for none of us have anything to go on, and wolves or not, Firefoot has important duties to attend to. What strikes me as curious is her insistence that we villagers develop some strategy with which to catch the wolves. Did she not already tell us that strategy is useless with as little as we have to go on today?

Perhaps, in my inexperience, I have misread or misinterpreted the import of what Firefoot has said toDay, and so I ask those with more knowledge of the dangers we face to consider my words, and show me my errors. For now, I must confess my suspicions of Firefoot are growing.

Oh, and I must apologize to Eonwe. I am afraid I have been referring to you as a girl, and such an error is ridiculous.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:03 AM   #27
Eonwe
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eonwe has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Indeed, though I hold nothing against you for that.

I don't have much to say, traditionally, on first days, except they suck...

So pardon my reticents, though I assure you it will pick up as it goes along.
Eonwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 09:28 AM   #28
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lovely song, Sleepy. There's a reason I like your band. Now please do something useful. Inaction like that is only going to allow societies problems to persist.

The only other game I played in, the village was quite vocal day one. We even managed to catch a wolf. But that may have had something to do with the retractable votes. Votes came early since people knew they could change them, and that generated a lot of discussion. I have limited experience in this, but it may be that people are reluctant to post something definitive or accusatory because they fear losing their precious vote.

So here's a quick summary of the mosts, to hopefully generate a discussion in the little time we have left. The two most vocal members today are Jenny and Firefoot. Folwren and Thin have yet to say anything. The most empty posts belong to Valier, Elu, Sleepy, and Gandalf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
what .... Roa have been doing last night.
I was planning my next protest to be held outside of Jenny's home, of course. Taxes are just a way to keep the people under the control of the government!

Old 02-15-2006, 09:31 AM   #29
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I am here. I am sorry it has taken me so long to finally arrive, but I have read all the posts up to this point and have done my best to try to look for guilt and innocence. Reading between the lines is hard. . .very hard in some cases.

However, here are some things said and my answers there to:

Quote:
Originally posted by Nogrod
Has someone been overtly nice or overtly aggressive? Or non-existent, invisible? I would start on those premises.
In answer, I have noticed two - Jennyhalu is over aggressive, and Sleepy Ranger is overly nice. As of yet, I have not formed any accusations thereof, but it’s an answer to your question as I see it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mith
I am sorry that RL has made Firefoot have to rush hers though, since on the surface she does seem slightly more suspicious than anyone else - posting first always looks suspicious to me. Also she has posted a lot and slightly contradictorily - first saying that there is no plan then suggesting we limit the vote (which as I am sure our resident professor could confirm) is unlikely to improve our chances.
This is all very well and good. You can choose to accuse and suspect who you will, but I do not find Jenny's response acceptable, really. After Mith suggested we look at Firefoot, Jenny, who up this point is all very well and happy to be friends with Firefoot, leap upon her immediately, pulling out evidence that's hardly there and weaving a net that Firefoot has absolutely no chance of escaping, especially since she has had to go.

Allow me. . .
Quote:
Originally posted by Jenny
Quote:
Originally posted by Firefoot
Strategies can be discussed, of course, but it seems to me that there really aren't any good strategies for catching wolves, not this early on

She goes on to suggest the best plan is to enjoy the benefits of a wide and active discussion, and suggests voting for whomever seems most wolvish to one's self at the end of the Day.
Firefoot's first post made sense. Strategies are just about impossible to make the first day. If you try to make them, they often fail, and then whoever attempts to make them gets looked at and in the end, probably lynched, and they probably turn out to be innocent innocents who are only trying to help.

Quote:
Later, she bemoans the silence of the village, but I have no experience to tell me whether or not our little village was truly relatively silent. More interesting, to my eyes at least, is her suggestion that we limit our voting by selecting a range of four random people. This seems an about-face from her earlier suggestion to vote by individual conscience, which would, in the absence of any real evidence, ensure a fairly wide spread of votes.
Silence is bad. If no one talks, or if everyone talks but very little, nothing can be derived from their words to either prove their innocence or guilt. Firefoot, and any other good player, knows that.
As for the four votes. . .well, that's better than everyone being a candidate for lynching, isn't it? She says, let's not all bandwagon on one, but she also says, let's not try to lynch everyone at once. Go by your instincts, and it's likely that people's instincts will lead them to, as she said, about four or five people. A well spread out vote is four or five.

Her vote for Gandalf the white is not too bad. I had a few doubts when I read his first post, but I have more time and won't vote immediately, he'll be able to talk more. Firefoot, however, did not have more time.

There. That rant was to both show how much Jenny is desperate to point her finger at someone, and to say that I don't think Firefoot is guilty. If she is, at this point, I consider it pretty impossible to tell, and it'd be a daft thing indeed to be rid of her this early in the game - especially when this first lynching will be a guess in the dark. Don't kill her. She'll be valuable later on. Especially if she turns out innocent.

Quote:
Bad idea, actually, because if I happen to be the last person here, it means I’ll be lynched, and that’s terribly unfair because I haven’t had internet access before now. And that could be the case with every other person here.

As it is - I will back up what Firefoot said earlier - we need more long posts! Not a lot of short, little posts that say nothing except 'Here I am.' 'Yeah, she looks guilty.' No. We need some real posts! And for the people who don't start giving real posts, I will look at closely, I can promise you. If it is your character to write short posts, perhaps it's overlookable, but. . .maybe not.

-- Folwren

EDIT: Cross posted with Roa
Old 02-15-2006, 09:57 AM   #30
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Honestly I agree that my earlier idea of simply voting for the last to speak was, in a word, absurd. And honestly, it was Firefoot's explanation that brought me to that realization.

I see nothing suspicious in Gandalf's post except perhaps flippancy, but then I am myself overly wordy. It is hard to read between the lines when there are only three lines to read.

I am afraid that my aggressive nature is a personal fault, but it is hardly Wolvish. To be frank, I think that it is the product of idleness. My coins are all carefully catalogued and counted (trans: my RL job is simple and consists mostly of being next to the phone), and I have a lot of time to devote to trying to understand who could do this to Kitanna. If I am reading too much into Firefoot's statements, forgive me, but there did seem to me to be contradictions. My only experience of Werewolves has been tales I have heard elsewhere, and so I have no way of knowing if four candidates is a wide spread or not.

I find it interesting that while some insist on longer posts, attempts at analysis, and posting often, taking this advice to heart only brings suspicion. Villagers, I only meant to ask what others thought of Firefoot's statements.

I am sorry, Folwren, that I seem desperate to accuse anyone. But all I really want to do is stir up enough thought among my fellow villagers that I may learn what are clues and what are red herrings.

I mean, really, if I were a wolf, it seems obvious that it would be stupid to be quite so vociferous. It certainly seems to bring suspicion immediately on my head, which is not at all my intention, as I am innocent.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:11 AM   #31
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Sorry to be making these short posts just after Folwren has quite eloquently argued for longer ones. Just some more pipeweed to attend to. I will be back well before the voting time runs out and try to make some more contributions.

But just here. As an example of how schitzophrenic this situation is to begin with, is that you could see Folwrens' message both ways: as an attempt to free an innocent Firefoot from the aggressive WW JennyHallu, or then Jenny had it right in the first place, and now one WW tries to save another with rhetoric...

Well, my first instinct would go more for the former than the latter, but I really do not have any grounds for this. Propably its neither...

But still I would go for a principle, rather than the rolling of the dice. The WW's will gain most if we just spread our votes randomly: it's then anybody's game (chances 3/13). This all presupposing, that we have an idea for the principle.

I'll have to go through this thread once more as I have time (if I have it) to see, whether there is something along these lines of being overtly nice and lovable, being really aggressive, or being totally non-existent (is there anyone besides Thin, not posting anything yet?).
Old 02-15-2006, 10:17 AM   #32
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Alright after going over the posts that have been made I've decided its time to start speaking sense. Ok now due to the lack of time I may not be able to reply nor may I be able to back up my statements so don't get mad at me if I mess up a bit here and there. Now judging by past experience I have always been one of the most contradictory players and have always added some flavor to the game. However I am yet to start using my twisted logic yet (and odds are I won't in this game due to time restraints) so chances are there won't be any good long posts attacking me or defending me while all together ignoring the wolf threat. ^_^

Quote:
Honestly I agree that my earlier idea of simply voting for the last to speak was, in a word, absurd. And honestly, it was Firefoot's explanation that brought me to that realization.
And your point is? There are plenty of absurd theories on day 1. The last game I was on people were attacking other people based on their occupation. Sure just commenting on it is fine but really they took the occupations a bit too seriously. Compared to that I find Firefoot's idea of voting for the last person to vote saner but not something I would do yet it doesn't earn her a spot on my suspicion list.

Quote:
I find it interesting that while some insist on longer posts, attempts at analysis, and posting often, taking this advice to heart only brings suspicion.
What are you trying to say? We should stop making theories and analysis because that arouses suspicion? We should keep our posts short and shouldn't post often just because it arouses suspicion? Posting less, short and nothing to do with the game also arouses suspicion.

Quote:
I see nothing suspicious in Gandalf's post except perhaps flippancy, but then I am myself overly wordy. It is hard to read between the lines when there are only three lines to read.
Oh dear... You're asking him for a longer post just before going on a rant about how people shouldn't be asking for longer posts? You baffle me, congratulations.

Quote:
Villagers, I only meant to ask what others thought of Firefoot's statements.
Why are you isolating Firefoot? Granted shes made some contradictions but going straight out and asking others for their opinions on it so early seems a tad bit suspicious to me.

Quote:
I am sorry, Folwren, that I seem desperate to accuse anyone. But all I really want to do is stir up enough thought among my fellow villagers that I may learn what are clues and what are red herrings.
You're basing your attack on a couple of posts from a single person and you're trying to divert all attention to her. Seems fishy.

Quote:
I mean, really, if I were a wolf, it seems obvious that it would be stupid to be quite so vociferous. It certainly seems to bring suspicion immediately on my head, which is not at all my intention, as I am innocent.
Really? So are you trying to say the wolves won't call attention on themselves? Firefoot did, yet you're saying shes a wolf. +5 Suspicion points for you ma'am.

Jenny seems to be quite an exciteable person and is currently the sole occupant of my suspicion list. I won't be so quick to jump on Firefoot, its probably just a gut feeling but I believe shes innocent.

Since I don't know if I'll have a chance to post again heres my vote-

++JennyHallu
Old 02-15-2006, 10:37 AM   #33
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Eh, that is good, your explenation, and it likely is the truth, though it's hard to tell. Some wolves can be very cunning, and from a bit of study on you, your a smart person. . .

Be that as it may, I wrote my last post and rant mostly to clear Firefoot of suspicion. I will admit, though, that I had few scruples against bringing doubt onto you.

I have nothing more to say. And. . .if there is anything between this post and Jenny's last post, that means I cross posted with someone and I'm too lazy to want to Edit my stuff.

-- Folwren
Old 02-15-2006, 10:45 AM   #34
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Whoa is me!!! So much has happened since I woke up! I don't see the point today of making long winded posts because there is nothing to go on. People who post alot with alot in them tend to get lynched soon because they bring themselves into the spot light more...But then again all the quietness makes me nervous!

I will have to vote in an hour or so....so I wish there was some one else around to help with some speculations.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:57 AM   #35
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Though I wouldn't take my eyes off Sleepy for moment, I do agree that Jenny has been the most agressive player for the day. She has singled out Firefoot after our stabler's departure, in the same way a few did to another poor innocent in the last game, one those few being a wolf.

However, Sleepy seems to be attacking her over the smallest things.

Quote:
Quote:
I find it interesting that while some insist on longer posts, attempts at analysis, and posting often, taking this advice to heart only brings suspicion.
What are you trying to say? We should stop making theories and analysis because that arouses suspicion? We should keep our posts short and shouldn't post often just because it arouses suspicion? Posting less, short and nothing to do with the game also arouses suspicion.
I think here Jenny was trying to say that she'd been following that very advice for the good of the village, and it wasn't anything wolvish about it. (That, of course, remains to be seen. But it wasn't anything worth jumping on with that sort vehemence.)

Quote:
Quote:
Oh dear... You're asking him for a longer post just before going on a rant about how people shouldn't be asking for longer posts? You baffle me, congratulations.
A sentence is hardly a rant. While pointing to Gandalf's short post and then Firefoot's vote for him both as objects of suspision is contradicting, and highly suspicious itself, your accusation of ranting is overly agressive. What a switch from the politeness you were showing earlier! Is that because it was drawing attention? You're jumping around quite a bit.

Quote:
Quote:
Villagers, I only meant to ask what others thought of Firefoot's statements.
Why are you isolating Firefoot? Granted shes made some contradictions but going straight out and asking others for their opinions on it so early seems a tad bit suspicious to me.

Quote:
You're basing your attack on a couple of posts from a single person and you're trying to divert all attention to her. Seems fishy.
Besides Jenny, Firefoot has had the most posts to go from. As I said, I agree that Jenny seems overly agressive in this, and has jumped around quite a bit herself, but those few posts from where she's drawing suspicion is also the biggest source of information right now. You're pretty nitpicky about that. Was it just easier to jump on the most obviously suspicious person? I expected better from you.

I would still like to hear from Thin, and a few others wouldn't hurt to do more meaningful posts, even if they aren't very long.

Old 02-15-2006, 11:04 AM   #36
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Sleepy, you have taken everything I said out of the context in which I said it.

Quote:
Compared to that I find Firefoot's idea of voting for the last person to vote saner but not something I would do yet it doesn't earn her a spot on my suspicion list.
Firefoot never suggested we vote for the last voter. Firefoot suggest we select four names at random and divide our vote between those. How can you vote for the last person to vote anyway? You can't vote before that person has voted, but you can't vote until everyone else has either.

Quote:
Being in this village, today, arouses suspicion.

As for Gandalf, I did not mean to criticize the brevity of his post at all. I was questioning why Folwren felt that post made her suspicious. And I intended "overly wordy" as a crack at myself. I'm a windbag.

Quote:
Why are you isolating Firefoot?
I am not the first to have singled out Firefoot. Mithalwen was the first to bring her up, I merely looked back at Firefoot's posts to see if I agreed. With Mithalwen's reasons I did not agree. But I also found Firefoot to be occasionally confusing. I never accused, I merely made my points and asked other villagers what they thought. Nogrod and Folwren responded in kind by questioning my aggressiveness, and I took this as advice to sit back and be more patient.

At this point, the chance, in my mind, of Firefoot's guilt, stands exactly where it was before I took a closer look at her posts: 1 in 13.

Please be more careful, however, when you refer to what someone else has said. Firefoot never advocated the strategy you said she did, and your entire point in that area made no sense.

EDIT: cross-posted with Roa
Old 02-15-2006, 11:09 AM   #37
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valier
Whoa is me!!! So much has happened since I woke up! I don't see the point today of making long winded posts because there is nothing to go on. People who post alot with alot in them tend to get lynched soon because they bring themselves into the spot light more...But then again all the quietness makes me nervous!

I will have to vote in an hour or so....so I wish there was some one else around to help with some speculations.
My dear. . .Valier. . .oi. . .I know not what to say. If you don't want quiet and you don't want long winded posts, what do you want? If we have nothing to go on, why shouldn't we make long winded posts and give something to go on? Yet, if we none of us made any long winded posts, then tomorrow would be the same as today, and there would STILL be nothing to go on! Are you afraid of people making long posts and then turning around and wondering why you aren't making long posts? And are you afraid to make long posts because if you do, you will bring the spotlight onto you? Only wolves should be trully afraid to bring the spot light on themselves. An innocent usually has ways of defending himself. . .or, at least, is usually convincing enough to defend himself, because if he's innocent, he hasn't done anything wrong. And the lack of guilt and guilty concious in his posts will vouch for him. Therefore, the only person who should be really afraid of drawing the spot light are the wolves. Or, well. . . maybe the seer, but not so much so.

But then, sometimes, wolves are smart and extremely cunning with their words, and can afford to make long posts and draw the spot light, and deflect the guilt. Sometimes.

And a word to the lot of us. . .we might want to be careful not to bandwagon this evening.

-- Folwren
Old 02-15-2006, 11:16 AM   #38
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

My last post cross posted with Jenny, and I'm making a new post and therefore may be double posting because she said something that I didn't realize needed addressing but now that I do, I will make a new post.

Quote:
Originally posted by said Jenny:
As for Gandalf, I did not mean to criticize the brevity of his post at all. I was questioning why Folwren felt that post made her suspicious. And I intended "overly wordy" as a crack at myself. I'm a windbag.
I can't say exactly why it made me feel suspicious. Only that, he claimed not to be so smart, therefore couldn't really be a cunning would, also says that he'll vote later on today at random and that he can't have any suspicions (sp) (also a ridiculous thing to say because regardless of who you are, you're going to have some sort of suspicion)(just look at us). He offers no help, no words, no nothing.

But, I will not judge simply from his two posts. I said I was doubtful of him, but it was mainly on a gut feeling. You can't really derrive much from just a couple of sentences. It could be Gandalf's natural character to remain quiet. I've seen people killed because they were naturally quiet and turn out to be someone gifted. However, I don't blame Firefoot too much for voting for him, seeing as she didn't have too long, and she did end up voting mostly at random, I should guess. At the time, he seemed the less useful and (p'raps) the most questionable.

-- Folwren
Old 02-15-2006, 11:20 AM   #39
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

I know I know!! Folwren I just some times get confused with the longer posts! But I guess some people are better comunicators. I guess I do some times make long posts, but not often. That's just me! So I guess others are the opposite.

I do agree that we shouldn't all bandwagon today, lets spread it out and make the wolves jumpy, they might slip up with something incriminating if they are under suspision. I have seen it before.

About not wanting to be in the spotlight myself.Nonsense....I love the spotlight!! Being the magnificent dancer I am! But Alas I must depart very soon.....Who to vote for on this day of all days?

Edit: Cross posted with Folwren

Last edited by Valier; 02-15-2006 at 11:25 AM.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:22 AM   #40
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Thank you very much Folwren, for elaborating.