The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-21-2002, 12:41 PM   #1
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Live in Middle-earth

Or, more accurately, live in Rivendell.

[ July 21, 2002: Message edited by: burrahobbit ]
Old 07-21-2002, 12:49 PM   #2
The Fifth
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Fifth has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to The Fifth Send a message via AIM to The Fifth
Sting

..Is that real or is it edited?
- Ringwraith #5,
Servant of the Eye
The Fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 01:01 PM   #3
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

Sting

Well, The Fifth, judging from the page that I linked to, and ads I've seen on the History Channel, and the various articles that I've seen in the real estate section of the local paper I'd have to say that it seems pretty legit. Not that you would have seen the TV ads or the newspaper, but I'm sure that you looked at the page. You did look at the page, right?
Old 07-21-2002, 02:01 PM   #4
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

From the Rivendell prospectus:

Quote:
Excellent Moore Schools, parks, golf courses and health facilities are just a few reasons to explore the legend of Rivendell
Elves on golf carts! 'Now that's an eye opener. And make no mistake about it!'
Old 07-21-2002, 06:33 PM   #5
Anarya SilverBranch
Wight

Anarya SilverBranch has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Is that for real? Sweet! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] I wanna live there!
Old 07-21-2002, 06:35 PM   #6
Lady_Galadriel
Wight

Lady_Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lady_Galadriel
The Eye

It would be cool to live there!!
Quote:
Elves on golf carts! 'Now that's an eye opener. And make no mistake about it!'
Lol!! that would be something to see!!

[ July 21, 2002: Message edited by: Lady_Galadriel ]
Old 08-05-2002, 02:19 PM   #7
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Elenna has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elenna
Silmaril

Lets all move there! I have always wanted to live in Rivendell! All the BD people could get apartments/houses next door to each other, and freak out the other (normal) residents of Rivendell, Oklahoma, by wearing elf-ears and hobbit feet.
Old 08-05-2002, 02:30 PM   #8
ElfEarz
Animated Skeleton

ElfEarz has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

hmmm how interesting. oklahoma? no thank you. too far from the beach

[ August 05, 2002: Message edited by: ElfEarz ]
Old 08-05-2002, 06:30 PM   #9
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I'd rather live on Lorien Way, as long as it's even half as pretty as the real place.
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 08:02 PM   #10
ElanorGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElanorGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

And I'll dig a nice little smial on either Shire Lane or Bywater Road [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 08-06-2002, 06:33 PM   #11
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

(Birdie sits everyone down and explains slowly) IT'S A HOUSING DEVELOPMENT!!!! It's got teeny-tiny trees, and sidewalks that lead nowhere, and houses that look all alike. And there's probably covenents that prohibit you from painting those houses in Elven colors.

You could have built the whole thing on a hill and called it Minas Tirith, but it will still be a slum in a cornfield in 50 years or so.

I think it's kinda pathetic. Keep your grubby paws off of my book, you...you...marketing people, you!
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 06:41 PM   #12
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

Sting

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 08-06-2002, 06:52 PM   #13
Davin
Wight

Davin has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Whoa! That has to be the coolest place on Earth!!!! I wanna move there, or atleast stop by and visit!

»»The Telmena««
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 12:58 PM   #14
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadel Vinorel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Galadel Vinorel Send a message via Yahoo to Galadel Vinorel
Sting

COOL!! I want to live there!! Where did you find that map, burahobbit? [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
“Words can never convey the incredible impact of our attitude toward life. The longer I live the more convinced I become that life is 10 percent what happens to us and 90 percent how we respond to it." -Charles R. Swindoll
Galadel Vinorel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 01:02 PM   #15
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

That's not for Me! I'd rather have a big place in the woods away from neighbors and paint my front door with the gates of Moria and my garden fence with scenes fo Lorien.
Old 08-15-2002, 01:05 PM   #16
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

Sting

Quote:
COOL!! I want to live there!! Where did you find that map, burahobbit?
The phone book.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:39 AM   #17
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Pipe The suburbs of Lower-Middle-earth

This thread is worth resurrecting just so that we can compare Birdland's reaction with everyone else's. I also like burrahobbit's post above.

You know, it's quite sad in a way that what is at present a rather dull and uninteresting housing development with a silly and inappropriate Tolkien-inspired name (where's the dell? I don't see one, riven or otherwise) will in about forty years have 'Mordor' scrawled across its sign by a disillusioned resident. By then the buildings will be falling down, the overpaid ex-hippies who bought the houses will have moved to somewhere else (probably called Taniquetil Acres) and all that will be left to link the estate with its namesake will be the half-human status of some residents.

I'm almost sorry that this sort of thing doesn't seem to happen in England. Yes, town and estate planners choose names, apparently at random and often inappropriately, but over here they tend to pick 'great names of literature' or 'kings and queens' as their theme. Nobody to my knowledge has ever given their housing redevelopment a Tolkien theme. This has removed the opportunity for such gems as 'Isengard Crescent' and 'Glamhoth Close'. Shame.
Old 02-24-2006, 07:25 AM   #18
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
Actually, looking at their photo gallery...

This is not your average cookie cutter development. Yes, it is a housing development, and some people feel that no matter what, you move in at the cost of your soul. But these are very high-priced custom built homes. Look at the details and materials used in the showcase homes.

In forty years, those "teeny-tiny trees" will have matured into beautiful hardwoods, and these houses will be some of the few housing developments in the U.S. right now that are likely to hold their value fairly well.

It's the GIGO law...Garbage in, garbage out. These have a ridiculous name, but so do most housing developments. ("Camelot" and "Sherwood Forest" come to mind...about the same caliber of legend.) They are, however, high quality homes, and they'll probably do all right.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:26 AM   #19
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
This is not your average cookie cutter development.
I'm afraid I have to disillusion you.

I've been by the original neighborhood in question any number of times. By and large the houses there are just cookie cutter homes, at least in the sense that all the houses look basically alike in their suburban Americana-ness. This may just reflect the lack of imagination on the part of the residents (of which there are considerable, it has become a pretty crowded area.)

I too was personally rather disappointed when I saw this. Across the major street to the west, though, there is an addition called "Brandywine." For some reason my reaction to Brandywine was more positive. The houses in that addition are on a more modest scale. I think it probably boils down to a silly impression on my part that it is a nice touch to name an unpretentious housing development "Brandywine" which reminds me of unpretentious Buckland and hobbits. On the other hand, if you are going to name your addition "Rivendell" you'd better come up with something original and fantastic to live up to the name you have chosen. It is not that I object to the suburban Americana style (or whatever the technical name for it is) itself. I just wish the developers could have selected a different style...more, I don't know, elvish perhaps.

Except for on Lonely Mountain St. For that street, the developers should have imported a few tons of granite for the express purpose of having the residents construct their own mountain halls!! (I'd do it.)
Old 02-24-2006, 11:06 AM   #20
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan
I too was personally rather disappointed when I saw this. Across the major street to the west, though, there is an addition called "Brandywine."
Brandywine doesn't necessarily have anything at all to do with Tolkien, however. It's been a common place name long before he used it. As a matter of fact, the apartment complex where I live is called Brandywine. (No this does not make me a hobbit.)

And by average cookie-cutter, I meant only the quality of the construction, not the similarity of each house to its neighbor. I guess I meant that this was an "above-average cookie cutter neighborhood."

Old 02-24-2006, 12:36 PM   #21
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuru
Except for on Lonely Mountain St. For that street, the developers should have imported a few tons of granite for the express purpose of having the residents construct their own mountain halls!! (I'd do it.)
I can imagine the hassle you'd have to go through to get the permits, making sure it was zoned AND getting the neighborhood association's(I can't stand these) permission to do so!

I bet most of the inhabitant's don't even know where the name "Rivendell" came from. Or if they happened to see the movie think "hey, they stole our neighborhood name!"
Old 02-24-2006, 12:50 PM   #22
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
Brandywine doesn't necessarily have anything at all to do with Tolkien, however. It's been a common place name long before he used it.
A fair point. However, in this case, when this area was still the boonies the general vicinity was named Earlywine after the local golf course/park. When Rivendell went up, the name of the neighborhood was changed, although the name of the elementary school was not.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:55 PM   #23
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Ok then that's just cheezy
Old 02-26-2006, 01:08 AM   #24
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
we could always live in Gimli, Manitoba, named after everyones favourite dwarf (not really, it was named after a character in a book, the first settlers that got there thought they were the first, but they found a book Gimli Fimli or something, so they amed the town Gimli, it has a pretty big Nickel Deposit i hear)