User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2006, 07:29 PM   #1
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Leaf The Yule Log Discussion Thread

Per request of LMP, you players now have a place to plot and rant.

One question - do you want to close this game to new players?

~*~ Pio
Old 02-05-2006, 10:15 PM   #2
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Undómë has just left Hobbiton.
I'd prefer we keep just to the players we already have.

What do you other players think?
Young she was and yet not so. The braids of her dark hair were touched by no frost, her white arms and clear face were flawless and smooth, and the light of stars was in her bright eyes, grey as a cloudless night . . .
Old 02-06-2006, 09:47 AM   #3
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I agree.

And I offer to lead this rpg, since my plot line has sorta taken it over......

One thing else to establish is an end goal, so as we know when this is done. Options (off the cuff):

* when we've written 12 days' worth.
* when the animal-Quenya sequence, unwith sequence, Stamo/Mori sequence, and other sequences have run their course; which begs the question, what goals do you guys have for your characters?
Old 02-06-2006, 03:16 PM   #4
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Undómë has just left Hobbiton.
I'm sure we could use a number of those Yule days left to us to bring a close to the wight/Wenda scenario. I'm not sure we should drag it out much further than that. We can have sort of summing up epilogs at the end that bring us through the rest of the days and send our characters on.

As for old Goody - this will be her last Yule.
Young she was and yet not so. The braids of her dark hair were touched by no frost, her white arms and clear face were flawless and smooth, and the light of stars was in her bright eyes, grey as a cloudless night . . .
Old 02-06-2006, 03:28 PM   #5
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
That makes sense to me, Undómë. I hope we hear from Arry, Envinyatar, and a lot of other folks, too.

I'm still not sure exactly how Wenda's going to come out in all this....
Old 02-06-2006, 03:41 PM   #6
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Envinyatar has just left Hobbiton.
I'm in agreement about where to end the game - shortly after the resolve of the creature's demise.

I'd like not to tip my hand a lot concerning my two characters. They will certainly help against the creature, if those in the Inn have not figured out a way themselves. And I like the idea of the individual epilogs - where I can clear up a little of the mystery surrounding them.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:48 PM   #7
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Little wren here, too . . .

I believe we animals will help, too, as we can . . . at least the stout-hearted, if too fond of drink, wren will.

Child -- how about old Owlie?

I like the idea of it winding down once the danger is passed . . .
Old 02-06-2006, 04:42 PM   #8
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arry has just left Hobbiton.
The three brothers will live through the ordeal, despite Willem's thoughts to the contrary.

Nerindel

You mentioned a "Hell's Sword' - will Arato offer his services?

-----

I would really like to see the 'defeat' of the creature as a concerted effort - and not just the heroics of one person. Can we do that?

-- Arry
Old 02-06-2006, 06:04 PM   #9
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Thumbs up

Quote:
Nerindel

You mentioned a "Hell's Sword' - will Arato offer his services?
Yes Arato will offer his services, there is much more to him than first mets the eye. I am at the moment reckoning with a few things about his past that will become previlant but he is there watching and listening to all :P

The sword itself was created with purpose, and can only be wielded by Arato, any others attempting to touch the weapon will feel the icy pull of death come over them and fall into despair, this comes from touching the Void!

Envinyatar if my suspicions are correct about Stamo and Mori, then they may know who and what Arato is and was!

Mara is still struggling with her last vision after Wenda's revelations, she is unsure as to weather her vision was that of what past as Wenda described or of what is yet to come. The workings of Irmo are oft unclear to her and never fully formed images, more sounds and feelings that often help her sense when danger approaches.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:15 PM   #10
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envinyatar
I'd like not to tip my hand a lot concerning my two characters.
My lips are sealed (Envin told me somewhat once upon a time)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arry
I would really like to see the 'defeat' of the creature as a concerted effort - and not just the heroics of one person. Can we do that?
This is a great idea! But how?!? Maybe only the writing of it will help clear that up, but maybe we can offer some suggestions?

Just so you all know what I've had in mind with this "unwight": I purposely designed the being to be wraith-like, to sort of give that same feel as Frodo had on Weathertop, of a powerful negative force from the spirit realm. To that end, I came the idea that this is an evil Maiar that had been tempted into evil by Melkor early in the First Age, and was in Thangorodrim/Angband most of the time, maybe as a torturer/twister of Elves into Orcness? (just thought of that now, not really important) Anyway, my plausable little theory is that this evil Maiar got trapped in the deeps of Angband in the cataclysm at the end of the First Age, and remained imprisoned there throughout the Second Age. The cataclsym of at the end of the Second Age, which drowned Numenor and altered the 'circles of the world', wrenched this nameless evil Maiar from its prison, and it has been roaming in the north for a few years, wreaking havoc upon the few creatures it meets (mostly polar bears and what-not) until it gets far south enough to confront Wenda and the village it destroys.

Make sense?

Maybe that will help us in figuring out how our characters might help defeat it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerindel
Envinyatar if my suspicions are correct about Stamo and Mori, then they may know who and what Arato is and was!
Well, what a confounding bit of mystery and power we have going at this humble Green Man Free House! I eagerly await the build up, climax, denouement, and epilogues.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:52 AM   #11
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Great Owl would definitely like to give it a shot! Let's involve the animals in the story line, please. Let me drop a pm to Tevildo who also played the cat.

BTW, I tried to get on the BD late last night, but couldn't access the site for two hours or more. Finally, I gave up and went to bed.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:40 AM   #12
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tevildo has just left Hobbiton.
Yes, please, my cat would like to participate. I do have a possible angle here. As Piosenniel and Child of the 7th Age know from the Inn, Tevildo is under the illusion that he was once a member of Melkor's household, charged with the gathering of meat. He has many memories from the First Age which is why he spoke with the two-leggeds in the long robes.

I personally believe that Tevildo was not a member of Melkor's following, but has "inherited dreams" in the same way that JRRT and his son did concerning Numenor and the great wave. Tevildo's ancestors (like all cats ) apparently had dealings with Melkor and can remember many things about life in the Dark Lord's household.

It is quite possible that he will be able to remember something about this wraith thing if and when he sees him. Perhaps he will remember horrible scenes in the dungeon when poor Elves were being tortured and such.

Would something like this work as one small piece in unravelling this puzzle?
Now Tevildo was a mighty cat--the mightiest of all--and possessed of an evil spirit,...and he was in Melko's constant following; and that cat had all cats subject to him, and he and his subjects were the chasers and getters of meat for Melko's table.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:40 AM   #13
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Animal writers, play it up, I say!
This unwraith is going to be so harrassed by an erstwhile "battle of bywater" event, I think.... I just hope it doesn't get tooooo funny.

EDIT: Great post, Child! That'll help to balance the comic with the serious. Snow Owl has some great ideas, I'm thinking....

Also, when Wenda is a reindeer, I suppose she thinks and communicates like an animal. It probably doesn't carry over into any ability to understand animals' 'words' when she's in human form, but there is a base level of understanding and sympathy.... I'll keep that in mind as I write.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:01 PM   #14
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Save filled . . .
Old 02-11-2006, 03:07 PM   #15
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Save filled - Mori has spoken to Tevildo.

-----

Undómë

Thanks for the use of your character. Let me know if I need to edit anything.

-E-
Old 02-11-2006, 07:37 PM   #16
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I have yet to read Envinyatar's filled save, but I'll ask anyway: Is there anything that anybody wants to post before I move time along toward sundown and a certain confrontation.....?
Old 02-11-2006, 08:48 PM   #17
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Littlemanpoet -

Tevildo needs to respond to Mori, but I've posted a save. From my perspective, feel free to move ahead
Now Tevildo was a mighty cat--the mightiest of all--and possessed of an evil spirit,...and he was in Melko's constant following; and that cat had all cats subject to him, and he and his subjects were the chasers and getters of meat for Melko's table.
Old 02-12-2006, 02:41 AM   #18
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Mara too needs to reply;to Stamo. My save is up and I hope to fill it today
Old 02-12-2006, 03:59 AM   #19
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

So - I guess I will put up a SAVE for whatever the Hobbits can plan to do.

I take it you're moving us on to the confrontation with the creature? Is that correct?

If so - are we (the characters) simply to be surprised by it? Or will they have a plan in place?
Old 02-12-2006, 02:40 PM   #20
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
So - I guess I will put up a SAVE for whatever the Hobbits can plan to do.

I take it you're moving us on to the confrontation with the creature? Is that correct?

If so - are we (the characters) simply to be surprised by it? Or will they have a plan in place?
That depends on what we establish here on the discussion thread. If we want to tell each other what we have planned, and use that to co-ordinate what we plan to do, that's great! Or else, if we want to surprise each other, we more or less plan "on the fly", letting our creative whims lead us through this. Both ways are equally valid, in my book. Just let me know if you need to put something up before I move the time along.....
Old 02-13-2006, 08:32 AM   #21
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

My save is filled. Tevildo has made two suggestions: that you confront this creature at the moment of dawn when his strength begins to ebb and that, until this point, you not look directly at his shadow visage and form.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:37 AM   #22
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tevildo
My save is filled. Tevildo has made two suggestions: that you confront this creature at the moment of dawn when his strength begins to ebb and that, until this point, you not look directly at his shadow visage and form.
A very wise cat! Now to see if Wenda heeds this sage advice.....
Old 02-15-2006, 06:53 AM   #23
Child of the 7th Age

Save filled..... Wren is now under Owl's watchful eye, though I don't believe he knows that.

A generic question. Are we strictly tied to the Inn in terms of locale (as we normally would be in the Green Dragon), or can we have a first glimpse of this nasty Wraith wrecking havoc (maybe through Wren's and Owl's eyes?) some distance away?
Old 02-15-2006, 10:03 AM   #24
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child of the 7th Age
Save filled..... Wren is now under Owl's watchful eye, though I don't believe he knows that.

A generic question. Are we strictly tied to the Inn in terms of locale (as we normally would be in the Green Dragon), or can we have a first glimpse of this nasty Wraith wrecking havoc (maybe through Wren's and Owl's eyes?) some distance away?
Applying Pio's advice to writers at The Eorling Mead Hall, since this is Rohan, you have more freedom; just include the location of your post in the Title field.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:01 PM   #25
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Thumbs up

Yay at last my ISP has finally fixed my bad connection and I can post again, so back on topic I have finally filled my save
Old 02-18-2006, 02:07 PM   #26
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

My save is filled. Sorry for the delay - the weather seems to have made dialing up (and staying up) nigh to impossible the last day or two. I'm looking forward to the reactions. I'm sending the three reindeer in the general direction of where Goody seemed to be suggesting the Green Man is to be found - - - if such a thing is possible.... ?
Old 02-22-2006, 02:18 PM   #27
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Child . . . Owl

Wren's delivered some news to you which may be of interest to those gathered in the Inn.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:11 AM   #28
Child of the 7th Age

Many thanks for the nod. I hope to follow up tomorrow.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:30 PM   #29
Child of the 7th Age

Sorry I'm late. Post is up.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:56 AM   #30
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I want to come up with a name for the Ent, but I haven't thought of any yet. This is NOT Treebeard even though it may sound like him. This is a fir-tree Ent, with appropriate soft but flowing and long-branched beard, and eyebrows with long needles for hair.

Any ideas? Nerindil, would you be willing to incorporate the Ent's "naming" into your next post?

some possible names right off the top of my head (and they ain't great!):

Windbranch
Windbeam
Greenbeard
.... which has interesting confluences with the whole Green Man subtheme....I like this one best, but am open to more suggestions...
Old 02-28-2006, 11:40 AM   #31
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Just to let you know - since an Ent has been introduced into the story, I'm going to leave the Hobbits in the Inn so that there is no contact.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:35 PM   #32
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Just to let you know - since an Ent has been introduced into the story, I'm going to leave the Hobbits in the Inn so that there is no contact.
Sorry to put such limitations on you, but good point. Hadn't thought about that.... Still, the Ent isn't going to come anywhere near the Green Man Free House. He has no interest in leaving his forest.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:34 PM   #33
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Thumbs up

Quote:
Any ideas? Nerindil, would you be willing to incorporate the Ent's "naming" into your next post?
yup not a problem LMP, I quite like Greenbeard too.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:47 PM   #34
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Save finally filled. I picked up on what Littlemanpoet said. Hope this is ok.

If edits are needed, let me know.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:26 PM   #35
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

How soon do you want the confrontation with the creature?

And how do you want to play it? Are there any ideas of how the creature is to be taken care of - other than a direct confrontation with the two tall men?

Will someone take a first stab at it?

Just trying to get a general idea of how everyone wants to approach this part of the game.

- E -
Old 03-01-2006, 08:27 PM   #36
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I'm tempted to put in my Save now, but I think I'll wait and see what shakes out over the next day or two (fingers are willfully kept from going back and making that Save for fear of not getting in line quick enough....). No, I ain't gonna. No.
Old 03-05-2006, 05:56 PM   #37
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I've been waiting for Nerindel to fill her save. Nerindel?
Old 03-06-2006, 04:22 PM   #38
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Sorry sorry My son has been using the comp for his school project and I have been barely able to get near it, but my save is now filled.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:28 AM   #39
Child of the 7th Age

My save is filled.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:31 AM   #40
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Relative Strength of Our Bad Guy

I'm in a little bit of a quandary. We're talking about a former servant of Morgoth, a relatively high ranking one. "Cook" may not seem so high, but "Chief Torturer and Enforcer" is a different story. So what we have here is a Maia that is obviously not as great as Morgoth, and I'll say also not as great as Sauron. Were the Dragons more powerful than Balrogs, or vice versa? Gandalf the Grey fought a Balrog and barely won. Gandalf the White was about even with the Lord of the Nazgul. Our two Blue Istari are individually probably just a little weaker than Gandalf the Grey, and probably a reasonable bit stronger than Radagast. So I'm thinking that this evil Maiar is a good deal more powerful than one Blue Istari, but weaker than both together. Sound fair?