The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2011, 04:43 AM   #3041
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Anguirel
By that logic I've owned the seven cantrefs of Dyfed for longer than anyone.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:34 AM   #3042
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Oh Eomer, darling, surely you have known me long enough to know that if logic is what you want, I am not the woman... dubious attempts at wit and attempts at dubious wit now.... that's another matter.

I know Snoopy has been there for a while but I seem to remember you had a different one before or is it just pre-senile dementia kicking in?

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:51 AM   #3043
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Well, I started out, predictably enough, with a photo of Karl Urban.

I once changed it to a heart design for about two days; Fea gave me rep because she liked it - but it felt weird having a new picture so I changed it back.

My high rep on this forum is down to cynical tricks such as that.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:04 AM   #3044
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
So it was... good ...some functioning mind.

I thought your high rep was due to the kilt factor *sigh*....that and wargs of course...

Old 03-03-2011, 08:26 AM   #3045
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I tried to affix one a very long time ago (probably a Caravaggio or something) but it didn't work fairly repeatedly and I gave up (did you have a similar problem at some point Mith?)

...time for another attempt?

oh yeah they have to be really small don't they. I just can't be bothered to find a nice picture that small. I'm not actually cultivating deep mystique or anything
Old 03-03-2011, 09:13 AM   #3046
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel View Post
I tried to affix one a very long time ago (probably a Caravaggio or something) but it didn't work fairly repeatedly and I gave up (did you have a similar problem at some point Mith?)

...time for another attempt?

oh yeah they have to be really small don't they. I just can't be bothered to find a nice picture that small. I'm not actually cultivating deep mystique or anything
You know, it's not that difficult to resize pictures. ps. Caravaggio = awesome.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:14 AM   #3047
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I did - and it still tells me routinely it hasn't worked. But I have been prompted to swap my fed up woluf for the original Rossetti.

Which Caravaggio, Ang?

Old 03-04-2011, 09:46 AM   #3048
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

I think it would've been boy bitten by lizard or along those lines anyway
Old 03-05-2011, 04:41 AM   #3049
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

all credit to Mith, the dark spell is broken
Old 03-05-2011, 07:30 AM   #3050
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I have mixed feelings about this... but it will confuse and surprise so that pleases my affinity for chaos..

Old 03-05-2011, 08:13 AM   #3051
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thumbs up

Nice pick, Ang.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:11 AM   #3052
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
I would like to reiterate that mine is best. In case you forgot.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:40 AM   #3053
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burrahobbit View Post
I would like to reiterate that mine is best. In case you forgot.
It's certainly distinctive, burra. Don't be such a stranger!
Old 06-17-2012, 01:33 PM   #3054
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Thumbs up

I see Agan has joined the Illustrious League of Black-and-White Avatars (ILOBAWA). Naturally I cannot but approve, and of the motif too!
Old 06-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #3055
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
There's too little black and white in the WW thread when you and Inzil are dead. Thank you!
Old 06-17-2012, 01:57 PM   #3056
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
We are a distinguished breed, aren't we?
Old 06-17-2012, 02:20 PM   #3057
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Yes we are. By the way B-berry, is your avatar just light or is it supposed to portray a small phosporescent dragon? Because I always see it as the latter but I'm not quite sure.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:23 PM   #3058
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
That makes the 6 posters above me have B&W avvies. And there are more!

I also like Agan's new avvie. Looks nicely different but nicely the same, if you get my meaning. And - you are awarded double helpings of chocolate for the reasons!!!

But, no thank you, I like my flowers too much to join the ILOBAWA.

Edit: xed with my Lady of Secret Shadow. I see Beth's avatar as mist that is forming the shape of a dragon. Well, she has the final say on it.

Edit 2: now, whenever I see Agan's posts I think it's Miggy who posted. I guess it's the circle, because that's the only thing in common between your avvies. (and, on a similar note, I've mixed Zil and Pitch's posts in my head before, because they both have B&W avies)

Last edited by Galadriel55; 06-17-2012 at 05:27 PM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:53 PM   #3059
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Yes we are. By the way B-berry, is your avatar just light or is it supposed to portray a small phosporescent dragon? Because I always see it as the latter but I'm not quite sure.
Yes, it is a negative version of a dragon. I found it on a site called Malice Something ten years ago when I joined the Downs, but the site closed a few years later and I no longer have no links to it.

I've been told that it is a negative of a Brian Froud fairy/dragon image, but I haven't confirmed this.

I picked it because my rpg character Bethberry was supposed to be Tom and Goldberry's daughter who roams Middle-earth looking for her mum, who was absent from any recognition or naming at the end of LotR even though Gandalf said he was going to spend time with Tom. So much for a character with whom Frodo is really smitten.

The image is like the images on the cover of one edition of Tales from the Perilous Realm, which includes "The Adventures of Tom Bombadil", so I figured the avatar would be consistent even if most people didn't recognise it. You can see the cover here.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:37 AM   #3060
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Thanks for the explanation! It's a really nice avatar.

And I'm embarrassed now - I never even thought Goldberry isn't mentioned again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G55
(and, on a similar note, I've mixed Zil and Pitch's posts in my head before, because they both have B&W avies)
I tend to do that too.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:30 AM   #3061
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry View Post
I picked it because my rpg character Bethberry was supposed to be Tom and Goldberry's daughter who roams Middle-earth looking for her mum, who was absent from any recognition or naming at the end of LotR even though Gandalf said he was going to spend time with Tom. So much for a character with whom Frodo is really smitten.
I just thought Gandalf meant to spend some time with Tom, since they were planning to talk while smoking, which I can imagine Goldberry not really liking to do. Interesting, however, now that I think of it, who has ever heard of Tom Bombadil smoking? Does he? Is it mentioned? Ugh, I sense a thread coming... but really? But somehow I had assumed that he does... (it's the general "I'm with the Hobbits"-style, I guess...)
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:46 AM   #3062
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

I just wanted to pop in and say that THE Ka continues the standing trend of having absolutely lovely and fascinating avatars.

William Cloud Hicklin also has one that looks very very familiar to me, like I have seen it somewhere before, and yet I cannot place it. Most frustrating!
Old 01-18-2013, 08:16 PM   #3063
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

The fact that Pitchwife has a round black and white avatar just gave a moment of "WHAT when have I written something like this??"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
Dragons rock. They rock really hard.
Eww.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:00 PM   #3064
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan View Post
I just wanted to pop in and say that THE Ka continues the standing trend of having absolutely lovely and fascinating avatars.

William Cloud Hicklin also has one that looks very very familiar to me, like I have seen it somewhere before, and yet I cannot place it. Most frustrating!

Well thank you.
It's Nocturnal from the Elder Scrolls series, one of my favourite Daedra.

Bethberry, I can confirm your avvie. My mom had a copy of Brian Froud and Alan Lee's Faeries from the 70's and that little fellow was on one the first few pages. Poor book was read to just leaves, but I remember him well. Hope this helps, if any.
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:49 AM   #3065
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Ugh, I sense a thread coming... but really? But somehow I had assumed that he does... (it's the general "I'm with the Hobbits"-style, I guess...)
One can never have too many threads on Tom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agan
And I'm embarrassed now - I never even thought Goldberry isn't mentioned again
Perhaps she is an entwife after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE Ka
Bethberry, I can confirm your avvie. My mom had a copy of Brian Froud and Alan Lee's Faeries from the 70's and that little fellow was on one the first few pages. Poor book was read to just leaves, but I remember him well. Hope this helps, if any.
thanks! I should seek out some old book stores to see if I can find a copy.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:50 AM   #3066
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Eonwe's latest avatar is most interesting.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:47 PM   #3067
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Eonwe's latest avatar is most interesting.
For those who are interested [Warning, Doctor Who ahead]
Old 07-06-2015, 07:48 PM   #3068
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Thumbs up It is time to resurrect this thread

Mithalwen has a very nice flower as her avatar now.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:32 PM   #3069
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Mithalwen has a very nice flower as her avatar now.
Indeed! I barely recognized her in her new "garment".
Old 07-07-2015, 03:19 AM   #3070
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Narya

Thank-you. I shall probably resume my usual pre-Raph form soon - though the flower is pretty it was indended as a tribute to those who died at Edgware Road, Aldgate, Russell Square and Tavistock Square ten years ago today. It is a London Pride which inspired Coward to write the song since it managed to take hold and flower even in the devastation of the Blitz.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:10 AM   #3071
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Thank-you. I shall probably resume my usual pre-Raph form soon - though the flower is pretty it was indended as a tribute to those who died at Edgware Road, Aldgate, Russell Square and Tavistock Square ten years ago today. It is a London Pride which inspired Coward to write the song since it managed to take hold and flower even in the devastation of the Blitz.
Wow, has it been ten years already?
Old 07-07-2015, 10:19 AM   #3072
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Yes. 7th July 2005
http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=12021

Last edited by Mithalwen; 07-07-2015 at 10:34 AM.