The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2001, 10:45 PM   #1
Prefect

Sting The Original LOTR movie (1978)

I bought this and watched it today. . .its OK, but it doesn't resolve!!!!<P>It drops off after the men fight off Saruman's army. . .then it never shows the rest of Frodo's journey. . .I know I'm missing some things, as I've not read the Return of the King yet. . .but surely not that much. . .<P>The last we see of Frodo in the movie is Smeagol leading him to the secret place. . .and then poof! no more of them!<P>I know the movie only covers the first two stories. . .but d'ya think there should have been another movie. . .or something???<P>or was there? if there is another animated movie for ROTK, I sure can't find it!
Old 12-01-2001, 03:10 AM   #2
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

There was one - more of a children's style - called "the Return of the King." Great music, had an orc theme song "Where There's a Whip There's a Way!" Ha! <P>I saw the 1978 movie when it came out. Ralph Bakshi intended two movies, but never got the funding for the second I believe. The LOTR fans creamed it then, though I think there were great moments: Gollum's "Sneaking!" section, and Frodo and Sam rowing in opposite directions on the Anduin.. priceless.
Old 12-01-2001, 11:48 AM   #3
KayQy
Wight

KayQy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to KayQy
Thumbs up

I know. Bakshi's wasn't perfect (even aside from it ending about halfway through TT), but it certainly beats the RotK cartoon by a long shot! I couldn't bear to even finish that one, I just couldn't.

--OC Supertones, "Wilderness"

"Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter." -- Max Beerbohm
KayQy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2001, 03:02 PM   #4
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Silmaril

Yes, the ROTK cartoon requires a strong stomach! The "Frodo of the Nine Fingers" warble is most unfortunate, and when you laugh during the battle of Eowyn and the Captain of the Nazgul, it's Not a good sign. I believe if you're open to the cruddy versions, quality will toddle along eventually. <P>My advice before viewing: read the book first, don't eat rich foods during, be prepared to walk out or turn off the sound, and wait 20 minutes after before going swimming. Only a true addict (not connoissuer) could appreciate it.
Old 12-01-2001, 05:47 PM   #5
Durin's Bane
Pile O'Bones

Durin's Bane has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I for one gotta say that in my opinion the ROTK is better than the Bakshi's LOTR, and that not because I like it all that much, it's just that Bakshi's was SO TERRIBLE. I don't know what they were thinking when they mixed the live action with animation it looks just horrible. And then you may not have noticed but they changed Saruman's name to Arauman so the audience wouldn't get him confused with Sauron, but the actors keep on switching between the correct way and adapted way. All the character have pounds and pounds of hair and make huge motions with their hands and body every time they say a line. And dare I mention the balrog? That man dressed up in a lion suit wearing bedroom slippers! And the reason the movie is incomplete is because Bakshi ran out of money and lost his funding, but they released it anyway! The ROTK has alot of problems too exspecially the music, witchking, and funky ring scenes, but at least it's complete, and has an AWESOME Sam. I cringe every time I see Bakshi's cowardly wimpering fat ugly dolt who's supposed be Samwise Gamgee.
Durin's Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2001, 09:11 PM   #6
Prefect

Sting

What I found most humorous was when Gandalf found Sam listening in on he and Frodo. . .as he was leaving, he faked a "magic" hand at Sam's face, thrusting at him. . .Sam flinched. . .I was laughing my arse off!!! I never pictured Gandalf as the joking type. . .(he wasn't). . .but that was priceless. . .I'll have to capture it and upload it
Old 12-03-2001, 03:59 AM   #7
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

"Please don't let im turn me into anything unnatchrul, Mr. Frodo"
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 10:32 PM   #8
Pirotess
Pile O'Bones

Pirotess has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Pirotess
Sting

Hello <B>Prefect</B><P>I gotta say, i felt the same way when i watched that movie. I didn't understand why they had to stop it in the middle of the TT, but i gotta admit, i was somewhat <I>relieved</I> that it was finally over, cuz i couldn't stand watching it anymore. It's been a while since i saw it, n i don't remember all the bits that well. I remember that it was a very good adaptation, included most bits of the actual story, but gods! the animation (and the voices!!!) was horrible O_o I almost stoped watching at some point. I haven't seen the RoTK cartoon tho, so i dunno if that one was any better or not..
nor bid the Stars farewell
Pirotess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 04:09 AM   #9
chibi shinigami

Sting

Right. I've had enough of everyone badmouthing the Bakshi version!<P>I know it didn't seem finished, but there was a reason! Money. As in, "not enough". They were meant to put "Part 1" on the opening titles, but the studios have enough confidence in it to let him go ahead with the second part. Money ran out, Bakshi got screwed.<P>I think it was very brave of them to use that animation style. Its dark and creepy in places, just like the book. The character designs were very good and most of the animation was fluid and expressive. I mean, do you see Disney giving their characters that range of facial expressions? Didn't think so...<P>Besides, guess what the alternitive to a Bakshi version was? Disney. Yup. Can you imagine it? An all singing, all dancing LotR. Not even songs from the books either! No, they'd be Disney songs. (can you tell I'm not a big fan of Disney?) <P>I'd like Bakshi to do the second part actually. Now he'll have more animation techniques to choose from, more money and the hype of the actual movie to fall back on. If people love the movie, they might want to watch someone elses interpretation, right?<P>As for RotK, where on Earth did you find it? I expect you can only get it in America...Ah well. I live in the UK, so we get the bad end of the deal with most video releases. If anybody has a spare copy... wanna lend me it? LOL!<P>Sorry that was so long... just had to rant in support of Bakshi!
Old 12-06-2001, 12:07 AM   #10
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Silmaril

If you don't like Disney, you won't like the RotK, trust me! It's a musical for starters... I caught it on TV, taped it but, that was 18 years ago.<P>I loved Ralph Bakshi's "American Pop" and "Fritz the Cat." His cutting edge adult cartoons predated the Japanese Anime craze. But while his Black Riders were great, and there were outstanding moments, the best of which when he played with the story, still.. I never felt like he captured the flavor of the LotR. There was a lack of idealism. I got the sense he felt it was a great story, but he was never the fan Peter Jackson is. I always thought LotR could never be done as a live action film... but I think I'm about to be proven wrong.<P>-Maril
Old 12-06-2001, 02:28 AM   #11
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Pipe

Sorry but our vhs tapes are no good in your PAL players. and Disney would have done a better job with it, especially with Rotk, which was really messed up.
Old 12-11-2001, 07:47 PM   #12
Zippo
Animated Skeleton

Zippo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Zippo
Pipe

haha. i hated that movie....go to this site its so funny...<BR> <A HREF="http://flyingmoose.org/tolksarc/bakshi/bakshi.html" TARGET=_blank>http://flyingmoose.org/tolksarc/bakshi/bakshi.html</A>
Old 12-11-2001, 08:03 PM   #13
Zippo
Animated Skeleton

Zippo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Zippo
Pipe

Sorry didnt mean to add the l.<BR> <A HREF="http://flyingmoose.org/tolksarc/bakshi/bakshi.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://flyingmoose.org/tolksarc/bakshi/bakshi.htm</A>
Old 12-11-2001, 09:32 PM   #14
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Sting

Quite an interesting review.
Old 12-12-2001, 12:15 PM   #15
Durin's Bane
Pile O'Bones

Durin's Bane has just left Hobbiton.
I LOVE that. Captures my feelings of the movie completely.
Durin's Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 08:40 PM   #16
Elfkor

Sting

Ummm...about ROTK.....<P>I memorized it. Was so obsessed a few years ago that I recorded it onto an audio tape, and played it every night until I had it completely memorized. Very sad, I know, but at least it gives me something to do if I"m bored. And I liked the music. It wasn't super good, but it was fairly decent.
Old 12-13-2001, 03:50 AM   #17
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Silmaril

Yeah, I knew it wasn't very good, but I used to swing on the swings singing "where there's a whip, there's a way!" I replayed the good parts over and over and over again, till my little brother was ready to scream. But then he got into dungeons and dragons and used my LotR obsession as a mine of information for his Dungeon World, names of cities, ideas for creatures, critiques of maps...