The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-10-2003, 12:13 PM   #1
Galenfea of Mirkwood.
Wight

Location: Road2Rivendell: 250miles (somewhere near Weathertop)
Galenfea of Mirkwood. has just left Hobbiton.
Shield Dressing up

Does anyone have any ideas for LotR costumes out of ordinary clothes? I mean tips like 'old trousers cut off halfway down the shin can be hobbit breeches'
I ask in particular because I plan to dress as Earendil for our school fete and am at a loss for what to wear, but hopefully this will be useful for others as well.
Thanks! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Galenfea of Mirkwood. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 01:38 PM   #2
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I haven't much to suggest at the moment, but I was planning to buy a loose, wide-sleeved, tunic sort of top and perhaps wear it with a skirt and tie the bottom of the top tight to my waist with a nice bit of ribbon. Done in a pale colour, it could look quite elvish.
There are a lot of already elvish type tops, but even a plain t-shirt style top can be accessorised. Team it with a skirt, or brown trousers (ranger style), and add some ribbon, or a cloak, or attach a see-through/patterned piece of material over the top (kind of like a loose drape only with proper sleeves). That might make something vaguely elvish.
Just a long-sleeved green top and some dark trousers, with a pair of boots, a weapon, and possibly a cloak or a pack, could make an elvish ranger outfit.
A piece of dark, velvety material can be draped and pinned, or loosely sewed, to make a temporary elvish robe. (I can't sew, so I'm only suggesting easy-to-assemble outfits, but I'm sure it can all be sewed permenantly)

They're not very good, but they're just what I came up with as I was typing. Actually, I might use some of them! I've surprised myself with my creativity [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-10-2003, 03:41 PM   #3
Pookabunny
Wight

Pookabunny has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Pookabunny
1420!

There's this wicked AWESOME thread here that has some tips on the costumes, as well as numerous links to help people with any questions they have.

In terms of costumes from ordinary clothes, it depends on what you're trying to do - as in, how much or how little work you want to put into it. I don't have a sewing machine and I have no idea what I'm doing when I mess around with the costumes, but luckily my stuff came out well.

There's also a lot you can do with normal clothes - if you're willing to rip some stuff up [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]