The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-08-2003, 02:04 AM   #1
Pukel-Man
Haunting Spirit

Pukel-Man has just left Hobbiton.
1420! Two Towers DVD "released"

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned here already, but I was screwing around on Ebay and I typed "Two Towers DVD" into the search engine- and guess what I found? Yes that's right, if you have some disposable income you can be the first on your block to own this film. I'm not sure of the legality of these "releases" but if you gotta have it....<BR>(I'm going to wait for the extended version myself)<BR>I hope these are not of the same quality as the ones you can get in NYC.(if you know where to go) It's pretty funny though when you're watching a movie at home and your view of the film is blocked by somebody walking in front of the video camera during "filming"!!<p>[ March 08, 2003: Message edited by: Pukel-Man ]
This is not the time or the place to perform some kind of a half-assed autopsy on a fish... And I'm not going to stand here and see that thing cut open and see that little Kintner boy spill out all over the dock!-Mayor Vaughn
Pukel-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 08:49 AM   #2
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have a friend in England who owns the DVD already. Pirated, of course. I doubt highly these releases are anywhere near legal.
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 09:09 AM   #3
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Most likely they are the ones that are meant for the academy (or other voting bodies or media) to view. Usually, the quality on them is good, but you get a little message that goes across the screen quite frequently that reminds you that it is an illegal copy...<BR>How do I know this?? Let's just say that they are lot of bootleg dealers out there, and some aren't even secretive about it... like, they set up stands at conventions! Weird that they are allowed to do that!
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 11:13 AM   #4
gilraën
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

gilraën has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

They are not allowed.<P><A HREF="http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/tv_film/newsid_2700000/2700901.stm" TARGET=_blank>news article re pirate dvd of TTT</A>
Old 03-08-2003, 12:53 PM   #5
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Extended edition info:<P>Some spoilers: <A HREF="http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/8/1047127137" TARGET=_blank>here.</A><P>Also, <BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> this quote from WETA's Jon Labrie about the TTT DVD! At the end of his lecture (at the Games Devopers Confrence in San Jose) Jon Labrie said: "on the Extended DVD version, which will be released in the autumn, will you see more from the Isengard conquest -- our artists had so many ideas, which large Ents with small Orcs...in the film you didn't see half of it!" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 03-08-2003, 07:42 PM   #6
Pookabunny
Wight

Pookabunny has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Pookabunny
1420!

The funniest thing about bootelg DVDs are the ones from Asia - the subtitles are all in Egrish!<P>See:<BR><A HREF="http://home.online.no/~gremmem/engrish_ttt_captions/index.htm" TARGET=_blank>Engrish TT captions (with Fellowship, too)</A>
Old 03-08-2003, 07:55 PM   #7
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
I know, some of those have such terrible captions that it is crazy!<BR>I personally would never buy a bootleg, because even though I would love to own TTT right now, I can wait. Waiting for something like that to come out is one of the parts that makes it exciting.
Old 03-09-2003, 01:46 AM   #8
Maiden of the Sky
Pile O'Bones

Maiden of the Sky has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I got a pirated VCD 3 days after TTT came out. I live in Malaysia and their EVERYWHERE!!!! You can get them for 10 Ringgit which is like um....(calculating exchange rates) something like 1.60 in pounds, don't know about US$. VCDs are like cd's but with movies on them, no where near as good as DVDs but you can play them on dvd players and on computers as well. <P>I know what you mean about the captions, on my VCD they have little chinese and malay subtitles and they things like Fido for Frodo and Grandalf, its hilarious!
Maiden of the Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 01:51 AM   #9
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

FIDO for Frodo? That's inspired! . I've seen a lot of those Engrish-subtitled bootlegs; my own hypothesis is that the bootleggers' English isn't so great, so they run the dialogue through voice-recognition software which spits out what it thinks are the correct words, leading to results which are...interesting.<P>Yes, of course they're bootleg. They can be amusing, but even when they're semi-legal and cost twenty-five cents they're a waste of money - the only bootlegs I've ever gotten have been in Eastern Europe and the videos were uniformly horrid. The music tapes were OK but with movies you'd get better sound and color if you just stayed at home and drew a flip-book for yourself.
Old 03-09-2003, 03:04 PM   #10
Krumtakh the Obtuse
Pile O'Bones

Krumtakh the Obtuse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've never seen a pirated version of either FotR or TTT, but I've heard of some really funny subtitles. I think you could also download the movie from Kazaa, but it would take a looooong time even on a fast internet connection. Its also illegal, and I don't know about the quality.
Krumtakh the Obtuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 09:39 AM   #11
Lady_Báin
Wight

Lady_Báin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

hahahahhhaha i think this is all so funny, i have no idea why, but i feel like bursting out into insane laughter . I saw a dvd at school of ttt and i was the best quality i have ever seen. NO SUBTITLES!!! it was awesome. But yeah i think it was a version for award veiwing and the like that tigerlily was talking about, because <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>For Your Consideration <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>was always poping on the screen. But where i live they are always doing illegal stuff like that. It's kind of funny.
Old 03-10-2003, 12:57 PM   #12
Vardadurwen
Wight

Vardadurwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I know a guy who is friends with some person who apparently hacked into the Academy Award site and downloaded all the nominated videos and burnt them onto CDs. I dunno if that is the exact story, but my buddy has a copy of TTT on about five burnt discs, so I'm gonna ask him to get a copy made for me!! I mean, I'll still buy the real thing when it comes out, but why wait 'till then when I could be watching it now?!?! lol

'Now there's an eye-opener and no mistake!' - Samwise Gamgee
Vardadurwen is offline   Reply With Quote