The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-23-2003, 12:14 PM   #1
Diamond Green
Pile O'Bones

Diamond Green has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Why wasn't Sauron invisible while wearing the one ring?

Ok, maybe a stupid question, maybe not.<BR>I've been searching for a thread about this, and I haven't found any.<P>So, any thoughts about this?
Old 07-23-2003, 12:23 PM   #2
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The One Ring gives its wearer powers according to the bearer's stature. Since the hobbits are simple creatures, not powerful by any definition of the word nor by any stretch of imagination, they were awarded with a simple gift from the Ring. For Men also it yielded invisibility, and perhaps other powers. I am of the opinion that the Ring would have been stronger had Aragorn wielded it, stronger still had an Elf wielded it, and terrifyingly strong if Gandalf the Grey had put it on, being a Maia. Since Sauron was stronger than all of the aforementioned, he held great power when wielding his Ring, but it had no need to convey to him the power of invisibility.<p>[ July 23, 2003: Message edited by: Lord of Angmar ]
Old 07-23-2003, 12:41 PM   #3
Diamond Green
Pile O'Bones

Sting

That makes sense, thanks
Old 07-23-2003, 12:49 PM   #4
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Esgallhugwen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

The Lord of Angmar brings up an excellent point, also Sauron does not wish to hide from his enemies he feels he has no reason to do so, for they should fear him; not the other way around!
Old 07-23-2003, 12:57 PM   #5
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=002182" TARGET=_blank>http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=002182</A> <P>I think there maybe some related information in this thread.
Old 07-23-2003, 01:01 PM   #6
Diamond Green
Pile O'Bones

Sting

So, if I get this right, because Sauron is so powerfull, he doesn't need to be invisible, and he can choose his "fysical form"? <BR>I better do some more research on this...<P><BR>Thanks for the link, Meela, it was really helpfull!<p>[ July 23, 2003: Message edited by: Diamond Green ]
Old 07-23-2003, 01:04 PM   #7
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Esgallhugwen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

That is exactly correct he had such a firery evil might within in him that in his folly he feared no one.
Old 07-23-2003, 06:08 PM   #8
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

He didn't really need to be invisable, although he couldn't take whatever form he wanted. Before he was nearly destroyed (in the flood of Numenour I believe he could take whatever shape he wanted (ie:wolf, eagle, coney, etc.), but then the flood took that power out. Still, he was powerful enough while wearing the Ring he didn't need to make the Ring make him invisable. Although if you look at the topic <B>Sauron & the Ring</B> you'll get a larger range of opinions as well.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote