The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2016, 04:42 PM   #3201
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Hmmm, have you considered building a wall to keep out people seeking a better life North of the border?
Normally the hockey and the polar bears keep them out.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:04 AM   #3202
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Robocalls that don't identify their source up front.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 09:18 AM   #3203
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
Robocalls that don't identify their source up front.
Agreed! My go-to response to any number I don't recognize to let VM handle it.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:33 PM   #3204
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
When your computer does this at whim. It also has a pink colour scheme available. The other day it gave me a plaid pattern of green and pink stripes. Perhaps it's in the Christmas decoration spirit. It's a good computer and it served me faithfully, but this is getting ridiculous.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GreenBD.jpg (84.5 KB, 1795 views)
Old 12-18-2016, 03:29 PM   #3205
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
You know, this is actually quite appropriate:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotR Book I, Fog on the Barrow-Downs
As he lay there, thinking and getting a hold of himself, he noticed all at once that the darkness was slowly giving way: a pale greenish light was growing round him.
(The same can, course, not be said of pink or tartan.)
Old 01-04-2017, 11:09 AM   #3206
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
When time catches you up and you will never get the chance to put things right.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 01:52 PM   #3207
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Snow and ice. I know, many people deal with it regularly and are used to it. In my neck of the woods though, it's a hassle.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:03 PM   #3208
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Snow and ice. I know, many people deal with it regularly and are used to it. In my neck of the woods though, it's a hassle.
On that note, winter rain. I'll take snow anytime.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:22 AM   #3209
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
On that note, winter rain. I'll take snow anytime.
I think you're right. Cold rain or sleet is far more miserable than snow.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:04 PM   #3210
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

When booking a simple ticket requires restarting the computer, fixing the internet connection multiple times, getting into a fight with the bank account thingymajig, selling your soul to the devil - and even so, only getting it after 10 or so tries.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:14 PM   #3211
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Plagues of Morgoth!

Specifically, my nearly week-long (and still going) sinus infection and my daughter's "flu-like" virus.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:12 PM   #3212
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Plagues of Morgoth!

Specifically, my nearly week-long (and still going) sinus infection and my daughter's "flu-like" virus.
He does love pulling out the bioweapons this time of year.

Accidentally falling asleep for half a day when you had a ton of stuff to do.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:58 PM   #3213
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

When your bank card randomly blocks your card purchases. It has happened before on occasion, but now I'm trying to make important purchases online and not a single one is going through because the bank refuses to transfer the money. Flipping idiots! There's nothing even wrong with the card, there's enough money on it and everything, they're just being obnoxious. 'Oh, we didn't realize you were using your card abroad!..' Idiots! I've been using my card abroad for months now and you were letting me. But every once in a while you went 'nah, suspicious, someone must be using her card to buy potatoes', and blocked specific transfers. Now you're just blocking everything. Stupid, stupid bureaucrats, who must be in cahoots with whoever collects the money for international calls - because emails are not secure enough to confirm I do not have an official block on my card. Nasssty, mean, fat idiots!

Sorry, I just need to vent. I know it's the system that's doing the mess, not the individuals working there, but seriously!
Old 06-02-2017, 04:17 PM   #3214
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Speaking of banks...when your bank says you cant move money out of your savings account anymore, or else they will just cancel your savings account and put it all in checking...because of some obscure federal banking law that deals with money laundering.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:13 AM   #3215
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dűm

The Sixth Wizard has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to The Sixth Wizard
Definitely those "fresh food and recipes to your door" delivery companies like HelloFresh (I think they have different ones in Europe and the USA). Anything that creates two kilos of cardboard and plastic waste per delivery, takes all the challenge and creativity out of cooking, and encourages people to spend less time shopping for food and more time working falls squarely in with the hypermodern industrial devilry of Orthanc and Barad-dur.
The Sixth Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:18 AM   #3216
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sixth Wizard View Post
Definitely those "fresh food and recipes to your door" delivery companies like HelloFresh (I think they have different ones in Europe and the USA). Anything that creates two kilos of cardboard and plastic waste per delivery, takes all the challenge and creativity out of cooking, and encourages people to spend less time shopping for food and more time working falls squarely in with the hypermodern industrial devilry of Orthanc and Barad-dur.
I never got the point of those. It's a lot cheaper and more practical to look up recipes yourself, if you don't know them, and buy products in the grocery store. I may not be quite ready to assign them to Mordor, but they always seemed too much like 10 Easy Ways To Swindle People. Bill Ferny, perhaps?
Old 09-28-2017, 02:41 PM   #3217
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Falling sick on the most important day of the week. My housemate gets sick - it's on a short day, attendance is not taken at these classes, and they are all recorded. I get sick and have to miss a day - mandatory classes with attendance, a hands-on lab, most confusing lecture is not recorded, and two meetings take place. Wonderful timing!
Old 12-26-2017, 01:42 PM   #3218
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Influenza. Even after I got the vaccine like a good citizen.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:47 AM   #3219
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Ants.

I am in so much pain.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:07 PM   #3220
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Waiting for the air conditioning repair people to show up, in July heat.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:37 AM   #3221
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Dark-Eye

Quote:
Waiting for the air conditioning repair people to show up, in July heat.
Miserable! We had the power go out yesterday afternoon (in 95°F with humidity outside and a 10-day infant inside). Mercifully, it came back in what was probably only ten second or so, but... man, those were a looooooong ten seconds.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:11 AM   #3222
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Yeah. Ours went out Sat. the 14th. Didn't want to call anyone on the weekend because of the outrageous surcharge, and now there's apparently a horde of people in the area with the same problem.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:12 PM   #3223
Demloth of Dol Amroth
Wight

Demloth of Dol Amroth has just left Hobbiton.
Social Networks
Old 09-14-2018, 01:58 PM   #3224
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

One hundred degree heat indices in September (and in three months I'll be complaining about it being too cold ).
Old 09-19-2018, 10:59 AM   #3225
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
One hundred degree heat indices in September (and in three months I'll be complaining about it being too cold ).
To exposit and add, having central a/c break down again, and fully sympathizing with Gollum's loathing and fear of the Yellow Face.
Old 10-31-2018, 06:44 PM   #3226
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

That satanic pen that is super uncomfortable and unpleasant to write with and that you want to throw out already, you're just waiting for the ink to run out... but it will never run out. YOU'RE STUCK WITH THE PEN FOR LIFE NOW.
Old 10-31-2018, 06:51 PM   #3227
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
That satanic pen that is super uncomfortable and unpleasant to write with and that you want to throw out already, you're just waiting for the ink to run out... but it will never run out. YOU'RE STUCK WITH THE PEN FOR LIFE NOW.
At least you aren't literally stuck with it...unless...it develops a Sauronic will of its own and attacks?
Old 01-05-2019, 03:22 PM   #3228
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

A major plumbing problem for the past couple of weeks, and new a bent car wheel courtesy of a hole in the road.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:59 PM   #3229
Merrymatt
Pile O'Bones

Merrymatt has just left Hobbiton.
A glowing green palace on a volcanic spire, surrouded by orcs and warg dens strewn across the sides.
Although I might add in a Palantir on a spiked throne and a warg pup at side
Merrymatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 12:14 AM   #3230
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Deleting private messages on the downs.

I have no use for that paper telephone or werewolf message, yet it hurts every time i delete one.

Not to speak of the anguish if i remove an old pm from a long since inactive member...

In this aspect I am a hoarder and always have a total of at least 19 messages lying around.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 10:55 AM   #3231
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Isildur Curses.

I recently succumbed to the Isildur Curse by playing around with the Stone of Erech - that is, I meant the User CP. I decided it's time to update the prehistoric email I had registered to a legitimate one, and - well, I turned into a ghost (ie I still could log in, but I could not post or do anything else). It was very scary.

Moral of the story, kids: don't play with Erech stones, don't try to fix what isn't broken, and most importantly, check the spam folders of your emails for BD messages containing simple instructions for resurrection back to life- that is, back to death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
Deleting private messages on the downs.
I found a way around that. I send a PM to myself, with quotes containing the PMs I do not want to part with. Clears up space without losing the info. Have a dozen for the price of one!

It feels so good to be able to post again!
Old 05-10-2021, 03:23 PM   #3232
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:

I found a way around that. I send a PM to myself, with quotes containing the PMs I do not want to part with. Clears up space without losing the info. Have a dozen for the price of one!

It feels so good to be able to post again!
Now that's true a life hack.

I tip my hat to you.

Old 05-10-2021, 03:26 PM   #3233
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Isildur Curses.

I recently succumbed to the Isildur Curse by playing around with the Stone of Erech - that is, I meant the User CP. I decided it's time to update the prehistoric email I had registered to a legitimate one, and - well, I turned into a ghost (ie I still could log in, but I could not post or do anything else). It was very scary.
Why I’ll never update my email even if I haven’t used the one I signed up with since middle school early high school latest.
Old 03-20-2022, 09:35 PM   #3234
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

When the browser changes the way the bookmarks bar looks, and now everything is a little too far to the left, and it looks off-putting, but you can't even remember what was there before - was there anything in the far left of the bar taking up space? Did the bookmarks just start further right, not at the very edge of the page? Or am I just going crazy? We may never know, but until I get used to this new layout it's gonna drive me crazy. Not to mention that every time I "reach" for the BD bookmark by visual/muscle memory, I end up hitting email instead.
Old 07-18-2022, 12:18 AM   #3235
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Why have these become so growns up and dull???

I assign getting a change password reminder just prior to a three week vacation.

There is no way in Mordor I am remembering that password when I return to work.

Old 07-18-2022, 03:01 AM   #3236
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
I assign getting a change password reminder just prior to a three week vacation.

There is no way in Mordor I am remembering that password when I return to work.
It's not really secure, but I pretty much have to write passwords down somewhere, be it on a bit of paper in my wallet, or on my phone.
Old 07-18-2022, 03:59 PM   #3237
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Quote:
It's not really secure, but I pretty much have to write passwords down somewhere, be it on a bit of paper in my wallet, or on my phone.
My main motivation for changing jobs every other year, is that I can recycle passwords.

Old 07-18-2022, 05:18 PM   #3238
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
My main motivation for changing jobs every other year, is that I can recycle passwords.
Can't remember a password - well, must be time to quit.
Old 08-05-2022, 05:48 PM   #3239
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Getting woken up 5 times by spam calls when trying to sleep after a night shift. It's a veritable onslaught of spam. Anyone else assaulted by the bots today?
Old 08-05-2022, 06:01 PM   #3240
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Getting woken up 5 times by spam calls when trying to sleep after a night shift. It's a veritable onslaught of spam. Anyone else assaulted by the bots today?
I turn my phone off at night. My wife has hers on Vibrate, and we just make it a point to check it if we happen to wake up during the night.