The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-22-2004, 05:38 PM   #1
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elianna has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien Simply Afraid

It is not my good sense that rebels, I'm afaid, simply afraid.

Of what? That demands making an egregiously embarassing admition: I haven't finished reading RotK.

*gasp*

I'm afraid of finishing it, knowing I'll be bawling like I am at the end of the movie, lamenting for the elves leaving.

I know it's not my good sense that rebels because I really want to read about Saruman's and Wormtongue's deathes, I really want to read about the mallorn tree in the Party Field, I really want to read my favorite poem in LotR "Still round the corner there may wait A new road or hidden gate....", about so many other things I've heard about at the end of RotK.

But I'm terrified that I'll weep and cry out and gnash my teeth, and destroy the book by the time I'm done with it...

Any words of encouragement?
Elianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 06:50 PM   #2
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Silmaril

I doubt you'll destroy the book. But you'll probably cry. Many of us did, and still do.
Old 04-22-2004, 07:10 PM   #3
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril Antidote to PLD (post-LotR depression)

Finish the book. Then read it again!

Or, better still, read the Silmarillion. And then the Unfinished Tales. And then ... etc
Old 04-22-2004, 08:33 PM   #4
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
White Tree

If you haven't finished it, then how do you know about all those elements you just mentioned??

I didn't cry at RotK (I teared up, but didn't cry). I didn't cry at the books. (The Passion of the Christ made me cry, but that's another story) But every time I read the book, the end of RotK, I put down the book and seriously, I walk away with a heavy heart. What else is there to say? It's just sad! But if you read the appendices about Aragorn's death...it's like MAN, what a creep Tolkien was to tell us how it all ends! It's kind of like Bilbo. We all want to have his ending. "And they lived happily ever after to the end of their days."

Stilll, you really have to finish it. You may not remain on this board unless you do, we shall all retrieve our officially licensed Sting reproductions and drive you away.

Don't read the story of Aragorn and Arwen in the appendix, though, if you fear knowing the end. It's just not fair.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 08:41 PM   #5
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
I too walked away from the book with a heavy heart, but it was well worth it to read the ending and then go on to the Appendices. After having 'teared up' at the "Grey Havens" chapter, I found myself completely drained after reading "...the Tale of Aragorn and Arwen" (but in a good way). I agree with Saucey that the logical next step in the great tragedy that is Middle-earth's history is to read the Silmarillion.

Knight, I wonder what Tolkien would think of one of his loyal fans calling him a creep.
Old 04-23-2004, 02:58 AM   #6
Etharius
Animated Skeleton

Etharius has just left Hobbiton.
Draw your sword woman! And charge into battle!!!
Old 04-23-2004, 05:23 PM   #7
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Thanks for the encouragement. I've got a weekend now. Though I'm now depressed from reading a fanfic about Gondolin, I will grab a box of Kleenex (TM), climb my tree, and read.

If for no other reason, I promised myself to only read Silmarillion after LotR.

Knight of Gondor : Drive me away with your replicas of Sting will you? Well I have my own Sting and a bow to snipe you before you get to me! Muhahahaha! Anyway, back to sanity, although I haven't end the ending of the book, I have read encyclopedia-like thingies and some of the appendices. I've read the Tale of Aragorn and Arwen three times actually. 1st to torture myself with a love story, 2nd for research, and 3rd because I find it hilarious! (except for them both dying, I mean..........)
Old 04-23-2004, 10:02 PM   #8
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White Tree

OH yeah? Well, I don't own Sting, but I DO own Narsil.

So if you've read the appendices, and have an appetite for The Silmarillion...why haven't you finished RotK? Have you seen the movie(s)?
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Old 04-23-2004, 10:03 PM   #9
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White Tree

OH yeah? Well, I don't own Sting, but I DO own Narsil.

So if you've read the appendices, and have an appetite for The Silmarillion...why haven't you finished RotK? Have you seen the movie(s)?
Old 04-24-2004, 09:05 AM   #10
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Knight of Gondor :
Wait, you're a knight of Gondor and YOU have Narsil? You beat up your own king and stole his sword?!?!?!?!

Of course I've seen the movies. Glorfindel would've been awesome; Faramir evidently can only act like Faramir in Denethor's presence, and acts like Boromir whenever else; and the Houes of Healing better be in the EE.

I've read through a lot of "The Scouring of the Shire" last night, and shake my head at myself for forgeting my "Aunt" Barbra's mentions of it being so funny. Hehehe, the Sherrifs, the new gate, I cheered when Bill got Bill Ferny.
Old 04-25-2004, 09:02 AM   #11
Cecilia

Tolkien

Dont worry,I havent finished reading the ROTK book either (shock horror). There are just not enough hours in the day. But I used to get read it when I was little and usually fell asleep. My mum also bought me tapes of it. Anyway, what I tend to do now is to slip a few pages in every time i go to work, and then I dont end up staying up all night trying to finish the chapter. I do not all the bits in it though because my family are all serious tolkien fanatics.

I must admit I did not end up sobbing at the end of the film. The only film I have ever sobbed or seriously cried in was, The passion of the Christ.
Old 04-25-2004, 04:43 PM   #12
Lily Bracegirdle
Wight

Lily Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

What's wrong with crying? It releases tension. Just be sure you don't have to be anywhere special after finishing the book. Then you can experience it at leisure. I don't usually find the ending sad, just bittersweet.

I don't really recommend the tale of Aragorn and Arwen in the appendices. I found it disturbing. But I do love knowing that Gimli and Legolas became lifelong friends and traveled together at the end.

If knowing there isn't any more is what keeps you from finishing, there's always fanfiction -- some of which is very well written. Altariel's "A Game of Chess" at the Henneth Annun website is just wonderful. It's a post-ROTK Faramir/Eowyn story that's funny and sad and romantic, just the way a good drama should be.

Good luck!

-Lily
Old 08-08-2004, 02:19 PM   #13
Isowen
Haunting Spirit

Isowen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Stand and Defend

Just get it over with and finish it. I think you might find great releif when you do! I myself cried and went through a number of emotions, but really, if you do cry and feel scared, it just means that you are really into the storyline and you can relate to everything. If you become emotional, it is perfectly normal and I think it means that you understand the story, because Tolkien meant it to be dramatic.
So go ahead and read the end, then you know you can do it again and again! Remeber:It only means that you are a true fan of LOTR if you can get so caught up in the story.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:26 AM   #14
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

After getting the e-mail notice that someone else has posted here, (Thanks Isowen.), I realized I had never come back and announced:

I have finished The Lord of the Rings!!!!

I has reading the last few pages at a fast food place with my dad. I was about to cry when I finished it, but I was in a fairly public place, and with my dad. I excused myself to the restroom and cried a bit there. But after finishing the actual story, I launched right in to the appendices, with all its stories about the Númenoreans (making me want to actually read Sil) and Gondor and Arnor and Rohan and the Dwarves and the naming of Hobbits.... That got my mind off of the end of RotK.

Now if only I didn't have to read "Crime and Punishment" in a week before school starts again, I would start on Sil. yee! lots of Elves! and Fëanor, grrrr. I've heard it reads like a history, but I'm so enamored with M-E, I don't think I'll mind.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:36 PM   #15
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Well done, Elianna!

The end of Aragorn and Arwen's story *is* tragic... why can't there ever be a happy couple in Middle-earth! They're all so angst-ridden...

Actually, Faramir and Eowyn, and Sam and Rosie end up pretty happy, but they just seem to be exceptions

The Sil does read like a history but if you really are serious about wanting to read it there shouldn't be a problem. Good luck!

Middle-earth before school! Always! Better yet, Middle-earth *in* school!
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 06:37 PM   #16
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elronds_daughter has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encaitare
I have finished The Lord of the Rings!!!!
Good for you!
Old 08-09-2004, 06:53 PM   #17
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Whoops, elronds_daughter, I think you meant Elianna!
Old 08-09-2004, 09:33 PM   #18
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
rhis belongs in here I suppose

anyone sc ared to commit 12 hours of their day to wath the trilogy? I am I want to be Im scared

looks at TV runs into corner huddles in feeble position I am also scare to reread the trilogy
Old 08-09-2004, 10:18 PM   #19
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Don't be afraid Morsul. Just takes breaks every now and then. You've probably been able to sit through each individually, so just take ten minutes or so between each, refill the popcorn bowl, restroom, put in the next movie and get back into the epic!
Old 08-09-2004, 11:15 PM   #20
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Congradulations Elianna!

I didn't cry when I read the end of the book, nor at the end of the movie. But then I also did like many above have a heavy heart. Actually I ended up being quite angry, because of Frodo giving up on the Shire and Middle Earth so soon after the end of the quest (I was like Sam, I thought that he would be there for the rest of his life, and I was quite dissapointed when I found out he had to go). But then I grew up, learned more about the world of Middle Earth, and I now completely understand why
Old 08-10-2004, 06:41 AM   #21
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elronds_daughter has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encaitare
Whoops, elronds_daughter, I think you meant Elianna!
yes, i did. but you posted a minute before i did, and i didn't realize it! i just looked at the first name in the list! i'll pay more attention in the future. thanks for pointing out my error!
Old 08-10-2004, 03:54 PM   #22
haltred
Pile O'Bones

haltred has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

You got through it well done . The only way to get tyhrough the book is solid reading .It such a rich and c omplex book. for crying over either book or movie .
Well the ending of the movies , in fact of each of them is emotionally stressing .One almosts wishes you on the boat going west with Bilbo and Frodo.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:03 AM   #23
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
The movies didnt faze me much except Frodo sending Sam away

"You dont mean that" got to me I was like "Stupid Frodo! waaaaaaaaah

oh and when boromir is dieing not when hes shot not when he talks to aragorn its when he looks at merry and pippin then gets up and fights again...in fact"grabs tissue" ok give me a minute....

Ok anyway lets see still havent watched the trilogy I plan to do it today since my friends are going to work anyway....but yes good job on completing the book took me about 3 months which is a longtime for me to read a book then again it was a long book...is it out in large print?(Somehow I find largeprint moves along easier than small print)
Old 08-17-2004, 06:17 AM   #24
Isowen
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

well done Elianna, congrats to you! Also, Morsul in the dark, you have been given great advice! Elianna, you could be a pshychiatrist, not that you need pshychiatary help Morsul in the dark, but you know what I mean, I'll stop typing now.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:14 PM   #25
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Would've waved pompoms...

Good job, Eliana!

I felt the same way, and I even gave myself a deadline that I sacrilegiously disobeyed. I felt bad about the fact that you had to finish it in a fast food place. I remember ending a gripping page turner that way. Oh well...

I still have yet to finish the Silm, and read LotR before the year ends. Keeping up with a personal tradition is all...
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 01:12 PM   #26
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
There are few straightforward happy endings in Tolkien - it isn't a "happy ever after" fairytale... for all the "fantasy" it is much more like our own world where also there are also few simplistic happy endings ... maybe this is why it is so beloved and those of us who read it as teenagers keep it close by decades later.... there aren't facile happy endings but there are compensations for grief, and parting and sacrifice ..... separation is supported by friendship, there is healing to be found and hope....and a kind of fulfilment. Gandalf was right - not all tears are an evil......

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 01:24 AM   #27
Saraphim
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saraphim has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saraphim
The Eye

Quote:
anyone sc ared to commit 12 hours of their day to wath the trilogy?
I spent three days (almost) straight reading the book, so twelve hours watching the movies is paltry.

I'll be participating in the Golden Ring Marathon, so I've got to get my couch super-comfortable.

Quote:
There are few straightforward happy endings in Tolkien
Indeed. Those who have yet to read the Silmarillion, beware of the Tale of the Children of Hurin. That one depresses me every time.
Saraphim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 10:21 PM   #28
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraphim
I spent three days (almost) straight reading the book, so twelve hours watching the movies is paltry.
Boromir impression: Then you did what I could not.

Anyone gott any tips for rereading the trilogy I keep starting get to Bombadil then say ah well I've read it once before... I must ask myself am I trully a Tolkien fan if I cant reread the book or watch the trilogy....No I am a tolkien fan just a lazy one
Old 08-24-2004, 08:20 AM   #29
rutslegolas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

rutslegolas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to rutslegolas Send a message via Yahoo to rutslegolas
Sting

well I too find the first few chapters really boring,but its a part of the book so read it and enjoy cause theirs nothing like reading Lord of The Rings again.
Old 08-24-2004, 12:12 PM   #30
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Keep at it, is all I can say. The tedious beginning gets easier each time, and now I love it. Ring a dong dillo, and hooray for Tom Bombadil!
Old 08-24-2004, 12:25 PM   #31
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
This may be very shallow of me but I rarely revisit the bits I dislike.... I tend to pop by with Gildor and then tag along once they meet Strider ..... and I temd to let Frodo and Sam procede alone.. at least till they meet Faramir.....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 03:55 PM   #32
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Eh, don't feel bad. My paperback RotK opens automatically to the end of the Scouring of the Shire because I read it so much.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:48 PM   #33
Arwen Evenstar

Arwen Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen Evenstar Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Evenstar
Silmaril

I agree with the Saucepan Man!

Go ahead and read it! Don`t be afraid to cry. We all do it. And as a very wise wizard once said:
"I will not say, do not weep. For not all tears are evil."

Gandalf the White

I`ve read them so many times, that my books were nearly ripped to shreads. So I went out and bought new ones. A week later, I was with my aunt at a yard sale (she hits every one in town) looking at a bunch of fantasy books, when the lady asked my brother and I if we liked Tolkien. I whipped around so fast I think I scared her. "Apparently you do!" she said and gave me the trilogy for free. They`re one of the really old sets, so cool. So now I have 3 sets of the LotR series!
(Sorry, I get off topic really easily.)
Arwen Evenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 05:32 PM   #34
Mad Baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: A place where after thunder golden showers come falling like a rain of flowers.
Mad Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Ah, go ahead and cry. I know I did and still do every time I finish reading RotK. But I also get a great sense of relief because Sam and Frodo's tedious journey is finally over and their hard work was not in vain. So...the end of the book is a sort of reward.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:09 AM   #35
rutslegolas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

rutslegolas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to rutslegolas Send a message via Yahoo to rutslegolas
Sting

Well I can't understand why all of you guys are simply afraid of completing Lotr ,I mean whast the point in reading a book if you simply are afraid of finishing it.
( Please dont get me wrong but I think its kind of childish).
Old 09-03-2004, 11:52 AM   #36
Isowen
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

rustlegolas, have you even read this thread!?! we are not ALL afraid of reading the end of Rotk! most of us were giving Elianna advice on what she could do as she was the one afraid!! no offence to a fellow barrow-downer but I think what you said is a little bit harsh. Sorry but I don't think anyone else likes to be called childish. just thought I should put this in there. but back to the point............
Old 09-03-2004, 11:59 AM   #37
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

I wasn't afraid to finish ... actually I was rabid to finish and find out the ending, but that's besides the point! What I think people like Elianna feel is that they almost are afraid that they won't like the ending (because nothing spoils an otherwise great story more than a lousy ending) or simply don't want their time in Middle-earth to end.
Old 09-03-2004, 05:33 PM   #38
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Exactly Encaitare!

I didn't want the story (and therefore my time in Middle-earth) to end. And I didn't want Frodo or the Keepers of the Three to leave. I still wish they didn't have to leave. But as for the story...it "goes ever, ever on" and "ever on and on", right?

Mad Baggins: Not in vain? But wasn't it all in vain for Frodo since he had to leave, couldn't "pick up the threads of an old life"?

Ah, don't listen to me. I'm just a bit depressed. I'll go cheer myself up.
Old 09-03-2004, 06:16 PM   #39
elfearz1
Shade of Carn Dûm

elfearz1 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elfearz1
Eye

It's an amazing book, I suggest you finish it! It's simply wonderful. Don't feel ashamed to cry. I cried many times while reading the books and that's saying a lot considering I've never cried during any book or movie.
elfearz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 09:21 PM   #40
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

About the "not in vain" bit, I think that even though Frodo could not stay in the Shire, it was not in vain for him. After all, he did play a huge part in saving Middle-earth, and from my idealistic point of view that is worth the self-sacrifice. Plus, he got to go find peace in the Blessed Realm, and this was why it was not in vain. At least he was not forced to suffer.