The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-16-2003, 01:41 PM   #1
Balin999
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Balin999 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Balin999
Sting *Doing!* And the "Perfect Idiot Award" goes to...

In FotR, we had little Pippin behaving as he shouldn't, therefore making not only Gandalf angry.<BR>In TTT, we had Gimli, flying off horses, lagging behind our two Mister Nice-Guys and not being able to look over a wall.<P>Who will be the idiot in RotK?<BR>My guess would be Faramir: Coming home without the ring, and Eowyn not liking him (a little "change" done by P.J, maybe?)

...The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, but conformity...

...Everything is possible, except to ski through a revolving door...
Balin999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 01:49 PM   #2
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
I doubt it's going to be Faramir. He's too good-looking.<P>My guess is that jokes regarding Gimli's diminutive stature will probably prevail.<P>But, if I had to predict a new "Perfect Idiot Award" for RotK, that Denthor would be a contender. Demented middle-aged pyromaniac? You bet. Don't know if that would actually seem <I>funny</I> to anyone, however. <P>Maybe Ioreth will make an appearance?<P>Hmm. Doubt it. Am still going with Gimli then.
Old 01-16-2003, 01:54 PM   #3
Balin999
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

I too fear that Gimli will carry on his tragic role as being the fool.<BR>In the books, Gimli is one of my favourite characters. <BR>I can't exactly tell why, I can't even explain why I can identify with Balin.<BR>But I guess that Gimli will be in for it again. Sad, that he has to be the jester instead of being a good warrior and a good comrade.

Old 01-16-2003, 01:55 PM   #4
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

LePetitChoux has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to LePetitChoux
Sting

Ioretgh was great! If they don't put her in, I'll be very upset. Put mildly.<P>Gimli's short jokes bring this to mind:<P>"And Gimli, what's he like?"<BR>"Well, let me put it this way; dwarves of Gimli's stature are in...SHORT SUPPLY!"<BR>*GUFFAW GUFFAW*<BR>"There are those who think LITTLE of him!"<BR>*GUFFAW GUFFAW*<BR>"Stop it, stop it both of you! You're just jealous that you can't measure up to a great dwarf like Gimli!"<BR>"May be, may be. But I'll let you do the MEASURING when you see him tomorrow".<P>Sorry, I just thought of that...
Old 01-16-2003, 02:22 PM   #5
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Proably Denethor. Well his idiocy in the books made ME laugh!

"Life is so beautiful"-&gt;Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 02:25 PM   #6
Angel of the earth

Tolkien

You're little quote, with a few changes, is from Shrek? Is it not? <P>My 'perfect Idiot Award' goes to........... Wait for it........That ork or urk-hai that got his head impaled on the stick (in TTT) as if he had not been such an idiot his head would not be there!
Old 01-16-2003, 02:36 PM   #7
Balin999
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Umm, no it's not from Shrek.<BR>I know the movie, but I didn't think of it when I created the thread.

Old 01-16-2003, 02:56 PM   #8
Angel of the earth

Tolkien

Oh right, just some of the lines came from there or something like that!<P>I also hav a another 'perfect idiot award', to award. To Sam for going down that steep hill-face! Pretty stupid when it's right next to the black gates!
Old 01-16-2003, 04:18 PM   #9
Deathwail
Haunting Spirit

Deathwail has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Mine goes to the Eye of Sauron who for whatever reason seems to not see anything,not even two Hobbits with his ring not 100 yards from his own gate.
Old 01-16-2003, 05:39 PM   #10
the mortal elf
Wight

the mortal elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to the mortal elf
Tolkien

My vote goes to Ioreth. Methinks (or maybe me hopes) that Gimli's funny role won't continue. I mean, I got used to it, but if he's going to be more idiodic than Pippin, I won't be able to stand it much longer (no offense meant to Pippin fans, as I am one myself). Although Denethor's mad-man-who's-obsessed-with-death thing is pretty funny, I can't see him pulling off lines like Gimli did. I mean, even though Denethor's completely whacked, he should still hold authority. I find it hard to imagine him holding anything if he keeps doing stupid lines like Gimli's. I mean, he is a Steward, ya know. Maybe Bergil can fill the role of perfect idiot?
Old 01-16-2003, 06:05 PM   #11
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Who knows, maybe ROtK will see Peter Jackson realising you don't need one character making a complete pillock of themselves in order to make a good film. <BR>We live in hope.
Old 01-17-2003, 06:50 AM   #12
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, we've run out of food jokes, and the short jokes were wearing a bit thin by the end of even one movie. Perhaps Sméagol with some gay jokes aimed at his favourite "stupid, fat hobbit"? Probably not very PC, though.<P>I think it's probably Legolas' turn to be funny, but I don't see how he could be funny for a whole movie. I'm guessing new character. We know Ghân-buri-Ghân is going to appear, maybe it'll be him. I admit it's a bit silly how comic relief is so mandatory these days. But I like the way that TTT used a cool character like Gimli, instead of an annoying character like Jar-Jar or Chris Rock. Way to push the boundaries, guys.
Old 01-17-2003, 09:09 AM   #13
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

It's going to be the unbeatable tag-team of Pippin AND Gimli! Although, the silly jokes might die down just a tad for this film.
Old 01-17-2003, 02:53 PM   #14
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thumbs up

That's right, Eomer. Who could forget the side-splittingly hilarious episode with Gimli pulling Pippin out from under the dead troll??? <I>*heavy sarcasm*</I><P>Anyway, like I said somewhere else, put your money on Shagrat and Gorbag. A laugh a minute, those bumbling, stumbling Orcs.<p>[ January 17, 2003: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]
Old 01-17-2003, 03:12 PM   #15
Pipperin
Animated Skeleton

Pipperin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It might be Merry, I heard theres a part where he cant get a horse to move. I think Pippin will still be funny, but he will be mature enough to know when to be funny( or so ive heard)
Old 01-17-2003, 07:33 PM   #16
VercingetoriX

Sting

I too was dissapointed at the role forced apon poor Gimli. Dwarves have always seemed cool to me, perhaps because they were made, more than any other free race, to endure. I always pictured Gimli as a grim and resolute warrior. <P>Anyway, I would like them to mock Legolas if that is possible because I dont know if it is just me, but is he outstripping even aragorn in the movie?
Old 01-17-2003, 07:49 PM   #17
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would say that they could have Sam be the joker but based on the very serious situation he and Frodo are in I guess that's not likely and would be very unapropriate.
Old 01-17-2003, 08:10 PM   #18
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

<B>Orc Talk</B><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> put your money on Shagrat and Gorbag <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I'd be very pleasantly surprised if these two got the recognition they deserve in the movies. Do you really think there'll be enough time for an orcy sub-plot? I think they'll probably be Bombadilated, cut for supposedly not adding enough to the story. The movieorcs don't seem as capable of 'human' emotion as the bookorcs. Look at what happened to poor old Uglúk and Grishnákh. If someone says 'Extended DVD' I'll scream. I'm getting tired of that excuse.<P>Poor Shagrat, poor Gorbag, yes preciouss.
Old 01-17-2003, 09:59 PM   #19
aragornreborn
Wight

aragornreborn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Shagrat and Gorbag sound likely if they're in the movie. I was also thinking maybe the Mouth of Sauron. I don't know why exactly but I just thought he was a total idiot in the book. Or maybe it'll be Wormtongue. Or Denethor. I don't know.
At the name of Jesus every knee should bow and every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. - Phil. 2:10-11
aragornreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 10:01 PM   #20
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

For what appear to be Shagrat and Gorbag, look at <A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=001677" TARGET=_blank>this</A> thread. <P>Perhaps Gandalf and the Witch King can do a quick double act at the gates of Minas Tirith. <P>Edit: Heh heh, I've been be-Wight-ed. <p>[ January 17, 2003: Message edited by: The Saucepan Man ]
Old 01-18-2003, 02:58 AM   #21
Balin999
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

He he, imagine Gandalf and the witch king, dancing around together and singing<BR>"We're men!"<BR>"We're men in tiiiights"<BR>la la la,... <BR>Hm I forgot about our two little orcses there. Yeah Gorbag and Shagrat could save poor Gimli. And someone said Bergil, good point, but I think we won't see him in the movies. It is not really necessary for the story. <BR>Well, because of the plot, the biggest idiot of RotK will be : Sauron

Old 01-19-2003, 12:29 PM   #22
propagandalf
Animated Skeleton

propagandalf has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Re: Denethor<BR>(WARNING ROTK SPOILERs AHEAD)<P>Not Denethor! I don’t think denethor was idiotic. True, he tried to burn his son alive, buwahahhaha, but I think his decision is totally justified considering the way the movie-faramir has been behaving . I like Denethor. He is insane- in an endearing way. He and gollum would have gotten along, had they met .<P>I think the designated idiot for the next film will be- Saruman, he’s already begun to appear quite pathetic. Although, Pippen has a good chance of reclaiming his title- remember when he stole the palantir from Gandalf while he was sleeping? Heeeehee, that was so funny. If they don’t include that in the film, I will commit murder.
Old 01-19-2003, 05:25 PM   #23
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> "And Gimli, what's he like?"<BR>"Well, let me put it this way; dwarves of Gimli's stature are in...SHORT SUPPLY!"<BR>*GUFFAW GUFFAW*<BR>"There are those who think LITTLE of him!"<BR>*GUFFAW GUFFAW*<BR>"Stop it, stop it both of you! You're just jealous that you can't measure up to a great dwarf like Gimli!"<BR>"May be, may be. But I'll let you do the MEASURING when you see him tomorrow". <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yes, it is from Shrek. It is talking about Lord Farquaad in the movie: Shrek and Donkey are offending Princess Fiona...<P>Gimli's idiocy will probably continue, sadly. Pippin may gain his back...<P>I was actually just thinking this same question the other day. I think that making Denethor the fool, as someone said, will probably be, for we have already had Faramir disobey his father's rule when he let the Hobbits go. As the rule did not have exceptions, it was a fairly weak rule. They will probably make Denethor an ignorant little moron (unless they don't of course, then I'm just wrong...and don't you love how I kept my language clean?).<P>If they make any of the other main characters foolish, I swear I will...I don't know what, but it will not be good...especially if it is Elrond or something...Legolas was funny in the books! Why couldn't they find a funny Legolas (because Mr. Bloom is probably not a great comedian)? He was perky in any event...he's so...morose in the movies.
Old 01-19-2003, 08:20 PM   #24
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

*Gasps with sudden and dreadful thought*<P>... Ghan-buri-ghan?<P>God, I hope not ...
Old 01-20-2003, 03:30 AM   #25
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Maybe ROTK will be devoid of comic relief until after the Ring is gone, because the first half of this film is going to be very serious (though, even though many of you don't want to hear this, I could see Gimli's comic relief continuing, especially during the first half)<p>[ January 20, 2003: Message edited by: Gorwingel ]
Old 02-06-2003, 01:08 PM   #26
Balin999
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Well, it could be Shelob dancing around and mumbling the melody of "dancing queen" after stabbing poor Frodo. Well, that's just not going to happen, I know....<BR>I think that many people who didn't read the books and found that Gollum was cute in some way will change their opinion after seeing RotK. I think that many of them will think that Gollum deserves his death. Poor creature... *sniff*

Old 02-06-2003, 03:51 PM   #27
Grimbold
Haunting Spirit

Grimbold has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gollum, the Hobbits and Gimli will always be used for a spot of fun. My only concern is that people don't always take Gollum as seriously as he should be taken, because his part turns out to be very funny in a way.
Where is the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing? They have passed like rain on the mountains. Like wind in the meadow. The days have gone down in the west. Behind the hills, into shadow.
How did it come to this?
Grimbold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 10:58 PM   #28
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Question

Am I the only person who thought that Gollum was cute and funny when I read the book (prior to the movie!)? If anything, PJ and Co. have to fight the natural tendancy to make him funny. Or maybe I'm just really weird...<P>Anyway, Gollum does deserve his death! But I read a quote somewhere that said, "If audiences cheer when Gollum dies, we will have failed." So I'm thinking they'll try real hard to maintain sympathy for Gollum in RotK.
Old 02-07-2003, 01:03 PM   #29
Balin999
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

hm I too think that Gollum deserves death, but I won't cheer when he falls down in the Cracks of Doom in the end because Gollum is THE tragic figure in the whole story.<BR>BUt well, there is still some of Smeagol in Gollum, and it comes out at times, so that's what could explain why Gollum is shown as a little funny creature at times.<BR>I really liked him in the movies, though I nearly got tears in my eyes everytime I saw him. They have done a great job there, bringing him to life and all.<BR>Ugh, I hope they won't let the last scene with Gollum turn out funny, for example he falls down and says something like: "Now, with [Insert brand here] sunblocker, nothing would have happened". I know that won't happen, but you know what I mean.

Old 02-07-2003, 02:09 PM   #30
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> But I read a quote somewhere that said, "If audiences cheer when Gollum dies, we will have failed." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I agree 100% with this. You're supposed to have conflicting feelings about Gollum. I've always felt sorry for him from the first time I read the book and at times thought he was funny. I think the movie potrayal is excellent.<P>H.C.
Old 02-07-2003, 02:38 PM   #31
Grimbold
Haunting Spirit

Grimbold has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

There will be cheering, but not at Gollum's expense: it will be about the destruction of the Ring, and the final destruction of Sauron. How will they illustrate that? A collapsing Barad-dur? Sweeeeeeeeeeeet!<P>Gollum deserves death, but it will be sad nonetheless. As sad as it is a happy moment, if you see what I mean. After all, Sauron is the enemy, not Gollum. Gollum just has a hand in his evil works, for a while, but fate chose him to take the Ring to its end.
Where is the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing? They have passed like rain on the mountains. Like wind in the meadow. The days have gone down in the west. Behind the hills, into shadow.
How did it come to this?
Grimbold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 05:39 PM   #32
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

I just had a mental image of a big spider singing "Dancing Queen"...<P>Eep! Another mental image:<BR>*Frodo is going onto the ship to the Grey Havens*<BR>Frodo: Remember me, Sam!<BR>Sam: I will Mister Frodo!<BR>Frodo: *sails off into the distance*<BR>Sam: *crying* I'll never let go, Frodo! I'll never let go! *falls down crying*<P>Let's just hope that never happens...or:<P>Elrond: We must depart! *turns around and smacks head first into a tree limb*<BR>*Everyone gives him a funny look*<BR>Elrond: What? *steps on a rake and it smashes him in the face*<BR>*Everyone looks at him again*<BR>Elrond: I'm okay! Really! *goes to board the ship to the Grey-Havens, but falls off the gang-plank into the water*<P>Neep! Let's hope PJ doesn't have my brain!