The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-21-2003, 07:10 AM   #1
Oroaranion
Haunting Spirit

Oroaranion has just left Hobbiton.
Shield **RotK - The Dead Army

Was anyone else amzed and impressed at the way the Dead were portrayed by Jackson? They had the aura of ghosts. My disbelieving friend claims it was a really crappy way of winning the War, which to me is insulting his exulted one, Tolkien.<p>[ 8:08 PM December 21, 2003: Message edited by: The Saucepan Man ]
Old 12-21-2003, 10:16 AM   #2
Phervasaion
Shade of Carn Dūm

Phervasaion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ye i also thought they were realy well portrayed by Jackson. I realy loved the way they all charged at the orcs at pelennor next to Aragorn Legolas and Gimli.
Old 12-21-2003, 11:34 AM   #3
steve
Wight

steve has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to steve
Sting

I Enjoyed the Way he portrayed the Dead as well, I would have liked it to have had them, well, not green and used a Peligir instead of Minas Tirith like there suposto, but In liked them none the less
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 12:26 PM   #4
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

I expected the dead to be really morbid or really disgusting the way most horror films portray the dead. I was pleasantly surprised that they were neither. Jackson did an AWSOME job.
Old 12-21-2003, 01:14 PM   #5
Arothir
Wight

Arothir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

When they attacked at the Pelennor they looked too much like M+M minies.
Arothir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 01:22 PM   #6
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I wish they'd been a little less Standard-Horror Green, but otherwise they were very good, and very effective. The part in the cavern when the dead voice mockingly repeats the door inscription back at the three travelers was particularly attention-getting.
Old 12-21-2003, 01:44 PM   #7
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

I expected them as ghostly shadows of men, but they were okay. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I wish they'd been a little less Standard-Horror Green, but otherwise they were very good, and very effective. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>The green surprised me , at first, too, but to quote burra from another thread: "All dead things are green. Didn't you read the books?"

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 04:12 PM   #8
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I liked the dead in all of the scenes until they took Minas Tirith. But re: the green, cf the Barrow Downs.
Old 12-21-2003, 04:42 PM   #9
FairLadyGoldberry
Pile O'Bones

FairLadyGoldberry has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to FairLadyGoldberry
Ring

I liked the way PJ portrayed the dead but I would have liked to see some close-ups of them fighting. Their quick sweep of the field was cool, but I wanted to see them fight up close!
Old 12-21-2003, 04:47 PM   #10
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I would have preferred to see them terrorising the Corsairs. I think there were a couple of good shots which showed the terror of the Men of Gondor when faced with a Ringwraith. I would have liked to have seen the Dead with that kind of power.
Old 12-21-2003, 04:47 PM   #11
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> But re: the green, cf the Barrow Downs. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I know, but it still applies. Don't forget about Minas Morgul. It makes sense.

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 06:52 PM   #12
Iris Alantiel
Haunting Spirit

Iris Alantiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I thought the army of the dead was impressive close up (like on the Paths of the Dead) but when they descended on the battle, they looked like a plague of locusts just sweeping over everything, which I thought was a little bit ridiculous. I would have preferred to see at least a little bit of close-up action of them fighting.
Iris Alantiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 07:18 PM   #13
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

Since there wasn't previously an official thread for the Army of the Dead, this topic has now been designated as such.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I would have preferred to see them terrorising the Corsairs. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I suspect that this will be in the EE, perhaps with an extended cameo by Jackson.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I thought the army of the dead was impressive close up (like on the Paths of the Dead) but when they descended on the battle, they looked like a plague of locusts just sweeping over everything, which I thought was a little bit ridiculous. I would have preferred to see at least a little bit of close-up action of them fighting. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I entirely agree, Iris Alantiel. Close up, the Dead were amazing. I loved the way that one minute you were looking at a face, and the next you were looking at the skull behind it. And the Army worked very well, I thought, when not shown too much from afar, such as in the cavern where Aragorn meets the King of the Dead, and the attack at Harlond. But from afar they just looked like a bubbly green mass (ie the "green virus" as they have become known ). I too would have liked to see one or two close up sequences of them attacking at the Pelennor, perhaps routing a few Southron ground troops (who were noticeably lacking, now I come to think of it).
Old 12-21-2003, 07:31 PM   #14
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<I>Gimli</I> <BR>"What's that inscription say? These are the Paths of the <B>Dead</B>. The way is shut. The <B>dead</B> keep it." <P><I>King of the Dead</I> <BR>"I'm <B>dead.</B> The way is shut. The <B>dead</B> keep it. That's them over there. Yes, the <B>dead</B> ones. We're all <B>dead</B> don't you know?"<P><I>Aragorn</I> <BR>"So have you seen the Army of the <B>Dead</B>? That's why we came to the Paths of the <B>Dead</B>."<P><I>KOTD</I> <BR>"Yes, this is where the <B>dead</B> live. That's us. You can tell because we're the <B>dead</B> ones."<P><I>Aragorn</I> <BR>"Captain Obvious, would you like to add anything?"<P><I>Legolas</I> <BR>"No. My job is done."
Old 12-22-2003, 08:08 AM   #15
Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dūm

Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Doug*platypus! That was so funny!!! <BR>I can't say I imagined them as skeletons...and to be perfectly honest with the music and everything, I did suspect Orlando had brought them back with him off the set of Pirates!!! Oh well, the green virus did a great job...(it must be called the GREEN virus to differentiate from the Hobbits- you know, Agent Elrond "Gandalf, your hobbits are a virus"....oh never mind).
Old 12-22-2003, 11:20 AM   #16
Jjudvven
Wight

Jjudvven has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jjudvven
Sting

:P<P>I thought they did a good job with the undead army, although I thought it was a little extremem having them come all the way into Minis Tirith... however, I really liked it when Aragorn released them and they all blew away.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:47 AM   #17
drigel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

drigel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I always thought that the image of Aragorn unfurling the flag on the Cosair ship as one of the more memorable moments of the ROTK book. <P>In the movie, it seemed too easy to have them roll up Saurons army at and in Minas Tirith....
drigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 12:47 PM   #18
Hithlum

Sting

It would've been cool if PJ had included a cameo of the 'Rat Monkey' from his film Braindead as one of the undead soldiers pets :0)
Old 12-22-2003, 01:24 PM   #19
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> and to be perfectly honest with the music and everything, I did suspect Orlando had brought them back with him off the set of Pirates!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yes, they did look a bit like those cursed pirates, other than being glowing and green. I think it's a good way to show dead/cursed things, though.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:55 PM   #20
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Their quick sweep of the field was cool, but I wanted to see them fight up close! <BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I know it's been a while since I read the book but I don't remember them actually "fighting" in the book, just terrorizing the armies away as they advanced. Maybe I need to go re-read.
Old 12-22-2003, 08:58 PM   #21
Arcuwen
Pile O'Bones

Arcuwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arcuwen
Sting

The paths of the dead really suprised me. I thought that they would make it really hokey, but they portayed the dead well. I too can't imagine them as skeletons. Although I pictured the paths more as a dark valley than a pitch-black cavelike place. The Minas Tirith attack seen wasn't quite what it should have been, with the "green virus" and all. I think everyone would have liked to see the dead fight up close. As for being green, it didn't bother me. I had pictured them as a grayish-blue color before but that's O.K.
Arcuwen is offline   Reply With Quote