The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-16-2003, 12:51 PM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril **RotK - Witch King**

What did you think of the Witch King in the new movie?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 02:20 PM   #2
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Terrifying. Though his confrontation with Gandalf was missed.
Old 12-17-2003, 04:29 PM   #3
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

VERY cool. I liked the part where they were dressing him in his armor, sort of a reverse-Theoden deal, with darkness instead of sunbeams.<P>"Who am I, Snaga?"<BR>"You are the Witch King, sire!"<P><BR>Very good scene between him and Eowyn. Implosions are always cool.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 07:17 PM   #4
Luinalatawen
Wight

Luinalatawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luinalatawen
Sting

As I mentioned in the Eowyn thread, I really liked when the witchking emerged with the orc army before marching off to the Pelennor- when Frodo and Co. are hiding. I could sense how terrified they were and how evil and powerful the witchking was.
Old 12-17-2003, 07:30 PM   #5
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Thoroughly terrifying. I loved his confrontation with Eowyn; and the whole tin-can-in-a-vacuum implosion things was really cool. I did miss his confrontation with Gandalf, but I'm assuming that will be in the Extended Version.<P>Overall, extraordinarily well done; I was shaking in my boots...well, if I had been wearing boots, I would have been shaking in them! <P>Abedithon le,<P>~*~Aranel~*~
Old 12-17-2003, 07:40 PM   #6
Lëowen
Haunting Spirit

Location: my computer chair, being smothered by my impossibly large cat
Lëowen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lëowen
Shield

Fantastic! He was really menacing and evil, and his helmet was wonderfully designed, though I was a bit disappointed that you couldn't see his burning red eyes. On the whole, though, I thought he was great!
Old 12-17-2003, 07:55 PM   #7
Catherine
Shade of Carn Dûm

Catherine has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> a bit disappointed that you couldn't see his burning red eyes <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Me too.....but I still thought it was really good
I don't think I should have had the heart to leave it."
~Merry to Haldir in Lothlórien~
Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 10:01 PM   #8
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Though his confrontation with Gandalf was missed.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That sooo disapointed me . One of the things I was looking forward to much, but I suppose it'll be in the EE. So I only have to wait for another 11 months or so . I did like his cool belching-mouth mask though .
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 12:46 AM   #9
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would have prefered his original dialogue with Eowyn. Maybe he could have been shown leading more during the battle. Thumbs up, otherwise.
Old 12-18-2003, 12:19 PM   #10
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Agreed. He didn't seem to be leading at all in the battle. That pig was taking all the glory.
Old 12-18-2003, 12:25 PM   #11
GreyIstar
Wight

GreyIstar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I was glad he said Do not come between a Nazgul and his prey.

"Dangerous!" cried Gandalf. "And so am I, very dangerous: more dangerous than anything you will ever meet, unless you are brought alive before the seat of the Dark Lord."
GreyIstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 07:27 PM   #12
Lily Bracegirdle
Wight

Lily Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

He was terrific! The moment after Eowyn kills the fell beast was so perfect I could hear the words from the book:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Backward she sprang as the huge shape crashed to ruin, vast wings outspread, crumpled on the earth . . .<B>Out of the wreck rose the Black Rider, tall and threatening above her.</B> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>-Lily
Old 12-18-2003, 07:35 PM   #13
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

I can't decide which line I love most <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Feast on his flesh! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>or <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Give up the halfling, she-elf! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Deserves death? I daresay he does!<P>It would have been much more effective to get rid of Goonies-Orc and have the Witch-King commanding the army of Morgul. His role was too greatly reduced. Plus he never did back up his words about sorting out Gandalf. He just flew around picking up people, throwing them down, picking up people, throwing them down. Got a bit tiresome after a while.<P>The 'getting dressed for battle' was well done, quite scary. But as we've seen so many 'getting dressed for battle' scenes already, it lost a lot of impact. Sure, implode, whatever. It didn't seem to have much bearing on the outcome of the battle, at least in the movie.
Old 12-19-2003, 01:31 PM   #14
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I genuinely got scared when he was confronted by Eowyn. Everything about the Witchking just chilled me to the bone. It was sooo amazing.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 04:13 PM   #15
Iarhen
Wight

Iarhen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I loved every minute of his appareances...<P>The confrontation with Eowyn was great, specailly his mace action...<P>But the line I loved the most was:<P>Goonie-looking orc: "And what about the wizard"<P>W. King: "Worry not about him. I will break him"<P>I LOVED THAT LINE!!!<P>And I was so scared for my good ol Gandalf...