The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-21-2002, 11:42 PM   #41
-Imrahil-
Shade of Carn Dūm

-Imrahil- has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well I thought the laughter was derisive in my theater at least.<P>I myself did laugh, out of pity, at some of the scenes, but not in a bad way.
Old 12-21-2002, 11:45 PM   #42
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Somehow, I keep getting the image of a non-fan sitting with a huge bucket of popcorn and laughing hysterically at poor Gollum triumphing over his darker side. I'm about to start sobbing...
Old 12-21-2002, 11:54 PM   #43
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Well, I think that in that case it would be the non-fan's fault rather than the filmmakers'. Because I can't see how he could be made less funny and still be the Gollum we know and love. "Eh, taters? What's taters, precious?" Ah well, humor and pathos do often walk a fine line hand in hand.
Old 12-22-2002, 09:10 AM   #44
Frieda
Haunting Spirit

Frieda has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Frieda
Sting

I laughed at that part but it was in a good way. I just found Gollum to be funny at times.<P>I will be sad when he dies. At first I didn't like Gollum when I first started to read about him in the books but he slowly grew on me and by the time I read ROTK when he died, I was sad that he had died. And I feel sorry for him.<BR>If I had been a character in the books, I would have wanted to help Gollum if I could have.<P>At least we can look at the fact that Gollum was probably happy when he died. He finally got the ring back, after all.<BR>And Middle Earth would have never been saved without him.<P>In the end, Gollum has become my favorite character next to Frodo. I think I will be very sad when I see him die.<p>[ December 22, 2002: Message edited by: Frieda ]
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 03:03 PM   #45
Elanor
Shade of Carn Dūm

Elanor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I thought Gollum was great. Kudos to Andy Serkis and the whole team involved there. <P>Somebody asked whether anyone else noticed he had too many teeth - I did! I was trying to count them, but he kept moving. He definitely had at least 7 though.<P>Was it just me, or did he look a bit like E.T.?<p>[ December 22, 2002: Message edited by: Elanor ]
Old 12-22-2002, 08:07 PM   #46
FlowerHobbitGirl

Silmaril

I enjoyed GOllum's performance very much. It was great!
Old 12-26-2002, 03:08 AM   #47
Roquen
Pile O'Bones

Roquen has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Ok, my feelings about Gollum/Smeagol...<P>Seems to be a lot of talk about the fact that people laughed at him fighting himself. Well, I laughed, and I think we are meant to. At the start of that scene the whole theatre started to laugh, but this, I think, was only to lull us into one way of thinking. By the end of that scene there wasn't a murmer in the whole place. I felt real shame for finding it funny because of the sadness I felt at the end, and that leads nicely to my next point.<BR>NEVER have I watched a movie and compleatly forgotten the fact that I'm watching a CG character! I've heard many times in movies that "you won't believe how real this character looks!" but rarely have I believed it... until now! I sinceraly DO NOT wish to start the whole Starwars/Lord of the Rings debate, but when I saw EP 1/EP 2 I was intentionaly looking at the gaps in the CG work. Don't get me wrong. I'm a massive Starwars fan and the work done is superb! BUT within about 2 seconds of seeing Gollum/Smeagol my brain just wasn't on the lookout for that stuff. WHY??? Because he is just so ALIVE!!!! I hadn't realized that my focus had switched from looking at a CG character to watching one of the best performances ever until the film had finished! That is just how it should be. My thanks go to the whole CG team, Andy Serkis and PJ and all involved for creating the first seemless CG I have ever seen!!! He was truly spot on to how I believed him to be! Can't wait for the ExtEdition and RotK!<P>Oh, and a "Merry" Christmas and Happy Hloidays to you all!<p>[ December 26, 2002: Message edited by: Roquen ]
Old 12-26-2002, 05:39 AM   #48
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Gollum (aka Evil JarJar) was always gonna be a make-or-break for the movie. All the time and effort they put into him has definitely paid off. People will be doing the Gollum voice for yearses and yearseseses, yes Preciousss...<P>Good call on the colour thing, I always (wrongly) pictured him as dark greeny black. The good book actually has his colour as more similar to how he is in the movie. Movie Gollum looked a lot like an old man in parts, but you can understand how they wanted to bring out his human/hobbit aspect. That said, though, he's NOWHERE NEAR as evil-looking as I think he should be. Freaky scene where Frodo catches him playing with his imaginary Precious.<P>I think we all agree that the Slinker/Stinker scene was a masterpiece of modern movie monologue. I think the only thing I'd like to see more than Andy Serkis in a blue full-body suit going up to get an Oscar in front of a blue screen, is PJ going up to get the Best Director in his baggy shorts and sneakers.
Old 12-26-2002, 05:51 AM   #49
Alaggaeriel
Animated Skeleton

Alaggaeriel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>When reading the books, it was kinda hard to imagine what exaclty a 'gollum' sound was (with no basis for comparison). Andy did it to perfection.<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That's the sound my cat makes when she pukes up a hair ball!
Old 12-26-2002, 09:16 AM   #50
LadyElbereth
Wight

LadyElbereth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gollum was EXCELLENT! He was the higlight of the whole movie. But, I kinda pictured him a little more...you know...ugly. He was just too cute for me, like when Faramir was being mean to him I wanted to kill Faramir and take Gollum up in my arms and cuddle him. Well I don't think I was supposed to be feeling that way. <BR>Anyway, they did a great job on Gollum and it made me appreciate him a whole lot more than I did in the books.
Old 01-01-2003, 01:05 PM   #51
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

He was great! He really did look real. The way he moved around was very much the way I had always pictured it. They also did a very good job at depicting his iner strugle and lust for the ring.
Old 01-01-2003, 05:20 PM   #52
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynė

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

I am definitely one of the ones who is in love with Smeagol as well. I laughed lovingly and I know I will cry when he dies...because I did when I read the book. Smeagol was very well done. He is my favorite character in the second movie so far (aside fromm Pippin).
Old 04-21-2003, 10:41 AM   #53
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

With all the Easter celebrations and whatnot, I almost forgot Andy Serkis' birthday! Andy was born on 20 April 1964 in Ruslip Manor, London. That makes him 39! Happy Birthday Andy!
Old 04-21-2003, 06:45 PM   #54
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I was a little to angry at the betrayl that Gollum perpatuated to have any pity for him when he died....! I thought they did an excellent job on old Gollum! Some scences did look a little strang (something about his lips....), but I think they did a great all-round job! Go Smeagol/Gollum ( the split-personalities were awesome!)!
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 11:02 PM   #55
Frodo 007
Haunting Spirit

Location: Wellington, New Zealand (Middle-Earth Baby Yeah!!!)
Frodo 007 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think Gollum was really well done and looked and sounded exactly how i imagined him to be!He is one of the best characters in The Two Towers!