The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-21-2003, 03:40 PM   #1
Princess_Fairy
Pile O'Bones

Princess_Fairy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Chat Room

As I am on the chat room I am looking at these unintelligent people that come on the chat room. Yes from time to time I admit I might say something that is unintelligent, but not really stupid things. They are talking about how many arms a tin has? Do we really want these types of people on the chat room? Isn’t the chat room there to have a discussion about Tolkien and the great books he wrote, to debate about him and his books, and the characters in his books? Then I finally meet someone normal and I get kicked of for saying crazzzzy (I said to the person last time I spoke to you I was in a crazzzzy frame of mind), I mean come on! I may sound like I am babbling on a bit but I can’t take these people on the chat room anymore. They don’t even respect Tolkien! Has anyone got anything to say about what I have just said?
Old 03-21-2003, 03:44 PM   #2
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

There are occasionaly set-chats that have topics and such, but really it doesn't have to be Tolkien related. That seems to be more what the forums are for.

Quote:
crazzzzy
I did that too, lol, the wight-bot kicks you for too many zzzz's.

I have a question however too, is it possible to get un-blocked from the chat-room?
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 04:16 PM   #3
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Sting

As a frequent visitor to the chatroom, it is obviously impossible to talk Tolkien all the time. True, we could discuss it more often, but the forum is available for it, and when we do discuss Tolkien, it's usually a good discussion. The OPs do a good job, we don't have THAT many really stupid conversations. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] I think.
Old 03-21-2003, 04:32 PM   #4
Princess_Fairy
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Thank you for the replies, wow I didn’t know I would get replies so rapidly. Yes I agree we don’t have to talk about Tolkien all the time and when we do it is a great conversation. And the Ops are very for the Tolkien talk. Today I was talking about the war and the one Op got very annoyed with me! But just before I left the chat room these two people were talking about rolling down a hill. That is unintelligence happening again. I don’t mind a couple of unintelligent people on the chat room, it makes it humorous but to many of them can be a bit of a bore. To respond to your question Beren87 “yes it is possible to get unblocked”. All you have to do is leave the chat room and go back in, that normally works for me! And *Varda* (I love that name), we must go on at a different time, cause when I go on the room is filled with stupid comments! I hope more people post their comments!
Old 03-21-2003, 04:38 PM   #5
Beren87

Sting

Quote:
two people were talking about rolling down a hill.
There seem to be a lot of hills in the chat room, or everyone's rolling down the same one, because that comes up quite a lot.
Old 03-21-2003, 04:47 PM   #6
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

I've only been to the chatroom 3 times, but, may I ask, what hills? I am not getting this...
Old 03-21-2003, 05:28 PM   #7
Princess_Fairy
Pile O'Bones

Sting

GaladrieloftheOlden: I have no initiative what hills they are talking about either! They were saying something about running up the hill then rolling down the hill! Do you really feel like that stupidity on a chat room for intellectual book readers?
Beren87: Yes they were only two people but there were other people at the same time talking about stupid things. That was the one conversation I remember! Lol so you say there are numerous hills in this chat room?
Old 03-21-2003, 06:07 PM   #8
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

I don't go to the chat room often because:

1. Half the time I can't understand the chat writing.

2. When I come into the chat room, they are in the middle of a discussion (obviously), and I can never quite catch on to what they're talking about.

3. I'm a slow typer, so by the time I've written something to add to the discussion, the people are discussing a new topic.

I am so glad there is a forum here that talks only Tolkien and you can look back at old posts and take all the time you want to write your own thing.
If you want to discuss Tolkien and Middle-earth, Princess_Fairy, just stay here at the forum. It can be quite fun here and there are plenty of intelligent people.

Last edited by Brinniel; 02-05-2007 at 10:55 PM.
Brinniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 09:03 PM   #9
Beren87

Sting

Quote:
Lol so you say there are numerous hills in this chat room?
The rolling planes that are the BD chat room. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] . They all seem to have a lake at the bottom too..
Old 03-21-2003, 09:11 PM   #10
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Carlas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Carlas
Sting

To add to Berens' question, if you have been permanatly banned, you must wait untill the list is cleared(which can take a very long time)! I know this because Ive been banned twice! But only because they banned all rogers users, or that is what I was told happened.
Old 03-21-2003, 09:25 PM   #11
Mhoram
Dead and Loving It

Mhoram has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Here's the deal. The movies have made Tolkien extremely popular, especially with the younger generation that likes to spend time on the net. It's just worked out that the Barrow-Downs chatroom has become a popular place for them to hang out. The average age in there is young teen I believe, and that's what you're seeing. That isn't to say anything bad about the kids, they're just acting like they are suppose to at that age, and most of them really like Tolkien, but, ya know.

As a result, the atmosphere doesn't make room for the intelligent and mature conversations you're looking for.

I know where you're coming from and it's a shame but nobody to blame (poet)
Mhoram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 09:28 PM   #12
Hirilaelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Hirilaelin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I am 13. I can make intelligent comments. If I so choose. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] But yea, it has become a hangout. When I first got there, I had no idea what was going on. Then, I learned how to type fast. And read strange writing. And deal with 'boppers and freaks. But really, it's fun, you just have to take it in stride.
Hirilaelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 11:45 PM   #13
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Then I finally meet someone normal and I get kicked of for saying crazzzzy (I said to the person last time I spoke to you I was in a crazzzzy frame of mind), I mean come on!
There is an autokick for repeating z's because of the people you're talking about - sometimes they pretend to sleep, thus typing zzzz repeatedly.
Old 03-22-2003, 12:03 AM   #14
Silmarien
Wight

Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I personally love the chat room it's a place I always come away from with a warm fuzzy(only to z's [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] ) feeling. Everyone is sooo( [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] can't bump me off here) friendly. But your right not much Tolkien discussion takes place in there. But it does sometimes and there is an almost constant supply of lembas and Elven wine. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Though here at journeys end I lie in dakness buried deep, beyond all towers strong and high beyond all mountains steep, above all shadows rides the Sun and Stars forever dwell:I will not say the Day is done nor bid the Stars farewell!
Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 12:33 AM   #15
Sharkû
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkû has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think it can't hurt here to state again that all channel ops (aka 'those with teh @') like intelligent discussion and especially Tolkien-related discussion and are more than willing to support it or take part if they can (even Kate [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ). That is why it can never hurt to ask for an op's attention if you have a decent Tolkien-related question or topic in mind.
Please be aware, though, that some horses (Balrogs, Tom, and the movies, mainly) are seriously dead and might fail to excite others, especially old time Downers.
Sharkû is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 02:40 AM   #16
Princess_Fairy
Pile O'Bones

Question

Thank you ever so much Brinniel, I most surely will take you up on that, I am sure we will spend hours debating on books (A great deal of fun [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]).
And to Mhoram I know you are right about young teens hanging out in the chat room, I am a young teen my self (14 years old). But I recognize where you are coming from! And I don’t act like that! Yes sometimes I will say something stupid that I regret after wards but the same people on the chat room are continuously being unintelligent [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]!
I am not saying that we can’t hang out there and have some enjoyment, I am just saying there are far to many stupid comments and to little intelligent comments on there [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]. I don’t mind some people being stupid (you can sit there laughing at them [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]) but to many people being stupid is very infuriating [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]! I am just saying maybe we could talk about Tolkien and his great books more frequently (like Bethberry said we should, but of course no one listened!).
Sharkû I really do like some of the Ops [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] but when you have a intelligent question to ask, then sadly they pay no attention to you [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]!

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 03-22-2003, 01:36 PM   #17
Beren87

Sting

Quote:
especially Tolkien-related discussion
That's not neccesarily true, they seem to have a problem when discussing the possibilty of Orcish reproduction.
Old 03-22-2003, 02:08 PM   #18
Princess_Fairy
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Beren87 lol. Do they really talk about that? Yikes I dont know if I want to go back lol! Beren87 how often do you go on the chat room?
Old 03-22-2003, 02:14 PM   #19
Beren87

Sting

I had an hour-long and very thought provoking discussion about that with I believe XPhial and someone else until Rimbaud threw me out.

And any questions to a specific person should probably be done through PM Fairy, just a suggestion.
Old 03-22-2003, 02:56 PM   #20
Gayahithwen
Wight

Gayahithwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gayahithwen Send a message via MSN to Gayahithwen Send a message via Yahoo to Gayahithwen
Sting

What can I say.. We do occasionally talk Tolkien. We've had several interesting discussions there.. and most of the time, when we're not into serious discussions, then there's the Tolkienistic nonsense..
I think most people visiting the chat likes Tolkien.. or, they like Orlando Bloom and scream stuff like "omg! its legolas! marry meee legolas!".. but we usually take care of the teenyboppers pretty fast..
Occasionally, there's the people who comes into the room, wondering if we ever discuss LotR. I think the standard answer to that is "LotR? What's that?", followed by five minutes of general stupidity untill we tell the person in question that yes, we did read the books. Ages ago. Ok, that might be considered stupid, but.. the ops do the same thing. Occasionally. It has happened.

Anyway, if you have something to discuss, even the people who's acting really stupid might be up to discuss it.. I mean - everybody's being stupid from time to time. Don't judge anyone before you get to know them.. they might seem really moronic to you for a while.. then, a Tolkien question comes up and they'll surprise you by their knowledge.. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 03-23-2003, 07:17 AM   #21
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Silmaril

Hi Princess Fairy
Yes I agree there are a many silly people on the chat room, please note silly not unintelligent. The chat room is the place where they go have their fun and where you go have yours. You are probably saying now that with them there you can have fun. Nonsense! You have to remember everyone is different and everyone has their own way of having fun. Those people who you call unintelligent are probably looking at you and saying “Look at Princess Fairy, she is so boring why can’t she be as fun as us?” You may be a teenybopper but maybe a more mature one who wants to talk about books but some teenyboppers say they have better things to do. So please take in mind that everyone is different and unique in their own way.
P.S Maybe it will help if you just ignore the people you find annoying and hang out with your own crowd! Oh and another thing, I enjoy books allot! If you wantwe can talk about middle-earth and Tolkien and all the things you and I enjoy!
Niluial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 05:09 PM   #22
Phrim
Haunting Spirit

Phrim has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Believe it or not, there are good, intelligent Tolkien discussions on the chatroom. They're just not happening all 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It seems to me that a lot of people visit the chatroom once, see that no one is talking about Tolkien at that exact minute, and then give up and leave. A better way to go about it might be to have a Tolkien topic on hand when you go in... you'd be surprised how many people actually want to intelligently talk about Tolkien if there's a topic.

Of course, the alternative is to just have a lot of patience; there is a fair bit of silliness that goes on...
Phrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 05:30 PM   #23
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Carlas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Carlas
Sting

I started out talking about anything and having unintelligent discussions, but after a time I got bored of it, and came to the forum where Ive matured A LOT! The chat room has gotten better than when the movie had just come out, it was crazy. I started going on it more and I was amazed at how much it changed!

[ March 24, 2003: Message edited by: Carlas ]
Old 03-23-2003, 10:15 PM   #24
Mhoram
Dead and Loving It

Mhoram has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Then one might conclude you must not have matured quite as much as you think.
Mhoram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 11:36 PM   #25
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm 13 and too be quite honest the chat room kinda scares me! Everyone types so fast and I can never understand what they are all talking about. It would be real nice if we could just talk Tolkien there. After all isn't this a Tolkien site? They could easily go somewhere else if they want to talk about rolling down hills and stuff.
Old 03-23-2003, 11:50 PM   #26
Belethfacwen
Pile O'Bones

Belethfacwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Belethfacwen
Sting

For a channel with an average running of roughly (ball-park estimate) 25ish people, it's really impossible for Tolkien talk to go on 24/7, as Phrim says. If you're not the type of take-charge person who's willing to throw a Tolkien topic out for us to discuss, you can always do what I mainly do, stay quiet and chime in when something (preferably Tolkien-related) strikes your fancy. Have faith in the chat room. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-26-2003, 08:59 AM   #27
onewhitetree
Seeker of Syntax

onewhitetree has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to onewhitetree
Sting

I do my best to keep the off-topic blather as the primary means of communication in chat, but even I sometimes fail and the room lapses into Tolkien discussion as I lapse into silence.

Well, I'M BACK.
onewhitetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 09:25 AM   #28
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Tsk, Kate. I had more faith in you than that.
Old 04-06-2003, 10:57 PM   #29
The Evenstar
Wight

The Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Well, Princess_Fairy, you have to understand (as Niluial said earlier) that everyone is different. Chat sessions are like that. Some times you'll come on and find a good discussion, sometimes you'll come across a sily one. It's normal.
Old 04-07-2003, 10:01 AM   #30
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

I think you can only say, "So, how about that (fill in Tolkien-related topic)?" so many times before you give up. Also, I think that, if we were to talk Tolkien all the time, not only would we run out of topics after about a month, and then it would be boring to recycle themes. It seems that many of the shrieky teeny-boppers get bored after a while too. It's more of a "hang in there, it'll get better" situation, I believe. And it tends to get better after the insanity of post-release calms down.

I believe that the "hills" referred to previously are what a graph of the average number of teenies-per-day during various times of the year, dependant on how close to the release date of the latest movie. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-13-2003, 01:37 AM   #31
The Evenstar
Wight

Silmaril

Yep, Vanima, I so agree
Over-excited teens get bored of their infernal comments and shriekiness and just.....STOP! But I must say, Barrowdowns chat room is far better than most other Internet chat sessions!
Old 04-13-2003, 01:42 AM   #32
The Evenstar
Wight

Silmaril

Oh, and Vanima. Thumbs up for your nick.
Beautiful Elf. I love it!