The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quotable Quotes
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2015, 02:49 PM   #1
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quilted Quotes

Mae govannen! I'm a bit late with my promised new thread, but it's here. The idea of this quotes game is simple - the point is to "quilt" together a paragraph or dialogue from bits of quotes pulled from various Tolkien books. Each person should find a quote that goes well with the previous story and tack it on. In order to make fitting or amusing quotes easier to find, one can modify the quote slightly, or add a brief introduction/ending in their own words to fit the quote into the paragraph. Also, please remember to tell us where the quotes came from!

Here is a brief dialogue example:

Apple: "What would you have here, unhappy mortal, and for what cause have you left your own land to enter this, which is forbidden to such as you?" (Thingol, Of Beren and Luthien, The Sil)

PC: "We came over hill and under hill, by wave and wind, for Revenge. Surely, O [Apple] the unassessably wealthy, you must realize that your success has made some bitter enemies?" (Bilbo, Inside Information, TH)

Apple: "None of our gold shall thieves take or the violent carry off while we are alive." (Thorin, The Gathering of the Clouds, TH)

PC: "The vengeance of the House of [PC] will find you yet!" (Beleg, Of Turin Turambar, The Sil)

Apple: "You're a booby!" (William, Roast Mutton, TH)

Please post only one or two quotes at a time, and avoid double-posting. I'm thinking that the resulting dialogues wouldn't be too long anyways, and we could rotate the scenarios frequently to bring in a fresh supply of quotes and humour. So, to start this off -

"The answer's not a kettle boiling over, as you seem to think from the noise you are making." (Bilbo, Riddles in the Dark, TH)

Happy revival, Downs!
Old 05-20-2015, 12:32 PM   #2
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Are you trying to entice Esty to the Quotes forum? If so, the title is well chosen.

I'm kind of brainlocked for a fitting quote, but bump this to keep it from getting buried.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:24 PM   #3
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Ah, Pitch, you know me! The title is enticing indeed and immediately got my attention. Alas, I have little time for posting activity, but perhaps lightning shall strike...

And here is my contribution, to be quilted to G55's quote:

Are the riddling words known to you that Boromir brought to Rivendell? (Frodo, Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit, TTT)
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:36 PM   #4
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
My apologies for letting this fall (and thank you Pitch and Esty for posting!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
Are you trying to entice Esty to the Quotes forum? If so, the title is well chosen.
How did you ever guess my secret plan?

The answer's not a kettle boiling over, as you seem to think from the noise you are making. (Bilbo, Riddles in the Dark, TH)

Are the riddling words known to you that Boromir brought to Rivendell? (Frodo, Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit, TTT)

Who knows now the counsels of Morgoth? (Of Turin Turambar, The Sil)
Old 05-30-2015, 10:43 AM   #5
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
The answer's not a kettle boiling over, as you seem to think from the noise you are making. (Bilbo, Riddles in the Dark, TH)

For he is very wise, and weighs all things to a nicety in the scales of his malice. (The Council of Elrond, TFotR)
Old 05-30-2015, 10:11 PM   #6
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Fun idea!

For he is very wise, and weighs all things to a nicety in the scales of his malice. (The Council of Elrond, TFotR)

He can perceive, if he bends his will thither, much of what is passing in the minds of men, even of those that dwell far off. (Minas Tirith, RotK)
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote