The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-27-2002, 02:40 PM   #1
lhunbelethiel

Shield Audience Reactions?

Hey friends,<P>I was wondering how the audiences have reacted to the Two Towers when you have gone to see it? The first time I went, the place was packed, but people were soooo quiet. They only 'OOhed" and Ahhhed" when Theoden turned back to his old self and when Legolas side mounted the horse. They didn't even react when the movie ended. No cheering or anything! Same thing the 2nd time. What's up with that? I was soooo excited and ready to bond with my fellow Tolkien fans but no one seemed to give a darn. Is it because people didn't like it much? Or do people get embarassed to show any emotion these days??? <P>Hope your audiences were better! Tell me about it! <p>[ December 27, 2002: Message edited by: Lhunbelethiel ]
Old 12-27-2002, 02:44 PM   #2
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

There weren't many people when I went to see it, maybe only a dozen. They were basically quiet throughout, but some of the ones that stayed during the credits started talking then. As far as I could tell everyone was talking in the lobby, but most everyone was gone by the time I got to the lobby and finished peeing.
Old 12-27-2002, 03:06 PM   #3
Gryphon Hall
Animated Skeleton

Gryphon Hall has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Gryphon Hall
Tolkien

Here's something I hope would cheer you up :<P>The advanced screening for TTT was shown on December 19, 21, and 22. As originally scheduled, only one showing per day. The first day was packed. The second day, 21, they had to show it thrice because the third floor of the mall where it was being shown (the first showing was made elsewhere) was literally bursting with people begging to see it. The third and last day of the advanced screening was just the same.<P>I watched during the 2nd day, but before that, I had been reading the reviews on the Downs and I must admit I was afraid that TTT was not as good as it was hyped up to be. I am SOOO glad people can be wrong, even Downers. The audience, nay, congregation watching the movie hung onto every scene (except for the occassional geek who thought it was cool to give running commentaries ).<P>There were tears in everyone's eyes (even that of the geeks) for the emotional moments, and genuine cheers during the battle with the wargs, and later in Helm's Deep.<P>Later, people lingered in the theatre and outside the lobby (where a crowd was still gathered waiting to see the movie), talking excitedly about TTT.<P>Alas! The thing that really ruined it for me was when everyone hooted at the emotional scenes between Frodo and Sam at the end. I know <I>some</I> people want to give it some <I>other</I> meaning, but GIVE ME A BREAK! Frodo and Sam just don't have that kind of relationship! It's just Father and son, people!
Gryphon Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 03:09 PM   #4
Morquesse
Wight

Morquesse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The first time I went, everyone was very cheery, because they laughed at eveything funny , and at poor Gollum. And when Brego woke up Aragorn everyone went "Egh!" . And of course, eveybody cheered at the end.<BR>The second time was close to the same, perhaps just a bit more quite.<BR>See ya,<BR>~M
Old 12-27-2002, 05:28 PM   #5
Taure Leafsilver
Wight

Taure Leafsilver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Taure Leafsilver
Silmaril

Everyone in my crowd sobbed most the movie. Exept the two people I was with and they laghed at me! Of course laughing at Gollum and Gimli. What I thought was kinda cool was that they giggled admireringly at Sam's "will we be put in tales" conversation. Cried at his first speech, and were silent for the rest. (thank goodness)
Old 12-27-2002, 05:48 PM   #6
My Cat Sasha
Animated Skeleton

My Cat Sasha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to My Cat Sasha
Sting

All I really noticed (I wasn't really paying attention to the audience) was that they laughed at the funny parts. I love it when Gollum and Sam are argueing about fish and chips! <P>What kind of annoyed me were a few of the parts with Gimli. Yeah, they were funny, but for the entire movie he was WAAAAAAAY out of character. In the books he's not dumb and the whole part about him being a girl was appauling! It was funny, but it was so inaccurate that I found it annoying.
Old 12-27-2002, 07:59 PM   #7
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The first time I saw it, they cheered when Gandalf came back, when Gollum had his converstation, when Gandalf came down the hill, Legolas sheild surfs, and at the end of the movie<P>The second time, they only cheered a little when Gandalf saves the day, and I tried to get people to start clapping at the end
Old 12-28-2002, 01:19 AM   #8
Sauron the deciever
Animated Skeleton

Sauron the deciever has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Sauron the deciever
Sting

Hello!<BR>absolutely nothing out of the ordinary when i saw it...there was a bit of laughter during the gollum scenes, and the Gimli jokes!
Sauron the deciever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 02:12 AM   #9
Iargwath
Wight

Iargwath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Iargwath Send a message via AIM to Iargwath
Silmaril

Well i was really happy with the auidience for this movie. They were great. But one lady went for popcorn during the Helms Deep scene! I found that incredible. Anyways...the audience loved the gimli jokes, and they also found gollum's little interludes with Sam funny. Some girls behind me suprisingly cheered when Orlando Bloom did that whole 'skater elf' stunt That was funny.<BR>The end of the movie was slightly disappointing b/c nobody cheered. It was the opposite. Everybody moaned and groaned. I found that annoying since they knew it would have no end after all. Besides that, the auidience was fine...<p>[ December 28, 2002: Message edited by: Iargwath ]

My M-e Forum
Iargwath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 02:18 AM   #10
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dūm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
Sting

The first time I went to go see it was on the 18th at around 4 o'clock and man, it was packed. When "The Lord of the Rings" logo popped up on the movie, everyone started cheering and clapping (I did so as well). Everyone laughed at the Gollum part too. At the end everyone clapped and cheered as well. I was glad to see so many fans.
Faye Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 07:28 AM   #11
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The first time I went was to the first session that my hometown cinema played. It was packed of course, even a week later it was still difficult to get tickets for some sessions. It was the most animated movie crowd I've ever had the pleasure of being part of. The first time I've been in a movie where people have applauded at the end. Which is weird really, because it was only Palmerston North not Wellington, and none of the stars were there. Still, it was the first session and I'm sure that being kiwis many of the people there were extras, or wardrobe people or something.<P>There was hearty, raucous laughter at all of the possibly funny parts, infectious laughter that somehow made me not hate Gimli the Comedy Dwarf (possibly because he's still a cool character, not like JarJar or Chris Rock). There were murmurs of approval and awe when Legolas swung up onto his horse. And even though I was 40 minutes late to work, I didn't get any hassles from it. What a great day that was! What a movie...<P>btw, the second time I saw the movie my cousin next to me cracked up when he saw Craig Parker (Haldir) turn up in his screaming queen armour. I had to join in.
Old 12-28-2002, 09:34 AM   #12
Dark Shadow
Wight

Dark Shadow has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well the first time I went was the first showing at our cinema, and people were pretty un reactive.... although maybe I just can't remember.<P>I went again yesterday, and every time a Legolas-Gimli joke came up, the whole cinema burst out laughing. I was like.. it's funny, but not <I>that</I> funny... but oh well. At least it got a reaction. Also, someone kept kicking my seat, but I don't think that had anything to do with the movie....
Dark Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 11:24 AM   #13
Taure Leafsilver
Wight

Taure Leafsilver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Taure Leafsilver
Question

weirdest thing, during the movie I broke out in fever started feeling like I had the flu, but afterwards I was fine! ???
Old 12-28-2002, 01:14 PM   #14
Lhunbelethiel
Wight

Lhunbelethiel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

woohoo! Thanks guys! I KNEW there were some people out there who had better experiences than I did!! I don't know what the deal is with folks around here (SF Bay Area)-- they're either really quiet or really obnoxious at movies. Hmmmm. I noticed with the Fellowship, by the 4th month of its release, only the die hards were watching it and they were pretty responsive to it, because by then, we knew it so well. <P>I'm glad you all had fun seeing it! Too bad we can't all rent a big theatre and see it together as a big gang of BarrowDowners! <P>(btw, I wore my BarrowDowns shirt and One Ring each time I have seen it and the only reason people look at me is not because I think they recognize the logo, but because there's a big freakin' sword on the front and back heh heh...)<P>Sorry you got a fever during your showing, Taure!!! maybe it was.... Frodo Fever! :0
Old 12-29-2002, 12:53 PM   #15
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dūm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I was a little disappointed in the audience. I went opening day, and the entire theatre was dead silent the entire time. After it ended, everyone just shuffled out without a word. I couldn't tell if they were all so amazed that they couldn't speak, or just disgusted.
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 01:03 PM   #16
Ainahithiel of Mirkwood
Animated Skeleton

Ainahithiel of Mirkwood has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

'tis a sad world you live in... When I first went to it, I was dressed up as a woodland elf, compleate with ears, green eyes, and of course, my ever ready cape. Everybody kind of stared at me when I went in, and my friend, who dresssed up a ring wraith as well. We were in th 8 pm showing and we had a bunch of teenagers, like seniors in the theater, complete with my brother, and his friend Ffej.(don't ask) Everybody clapped and cheered when it started, and at the end... the world was silent. They laughed at Gollum, and at Treebeard when he said some of his lines. And they oohed at Legolas. but that is it... <P>I saw more enthusiasim at "Attack of the Clones"!!!!!
Old 12-29-2002, 11:42 PM   #17
Magician of Nathar
Animated Skeleton

Magician of Nathar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well when I went to see it the cinema was not packed but there were still many people. There were nothing except lagheters from the audience when Gimli the comical relief is at work and when Smeagol busts out the line, "But master is my friend!" Lol! That was funny. It's like Lord of the Rings goes Disney!!!!!
Magician of Nathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 12:27 AM   #18
Lhunbelethiel
Wight

Lhunbelethiel has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Oooh, I wanted to dress up for TTT but I chickened out.... Maybe for ROTK... but I have to figure out what I want to be... hobbit, elf, ent??? <p>[ December 30, 2002: Message edited by: Lhunbelethiel ]
Old 12-30-2002, 01:39 PM   #19
Lady_Bįin
Wight

Lady_Bįin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i and some friends dressed up (a wringwraith four elves and a 5 feet 11 inches hobbit ) i was also a bit disapointedat the audience they laughed at all the wrong times (in my opinion) and there were waaaaaaaaaay too many families (i mean there were annoying little kids saying "i'm bored... i wanna go home... i need to pee..." and so forth and he was kicking my chair!:mad i mean it's a premeire for goodness sakes leave it to the die hards!!! i saw it on the 18th and the 26th but the audience did applaud at the end. <P> WHEN DID ANYONE SAY GIMLI WAS A GIRL?!?!?!?! i think maybe you misunderstood the joke
Old 12-30-2002, 04:24 PM   #20
the real nazgul
Animated Skeleton

the real nazgul has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

well when i saw tfotr, when someone chops an orcs head off, all the audience started to cheer!
Old 12-30-2002, 04:40 PM   #21
PeregrinTook
Animated Skeleton

PeregrinTook has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Everybody laughed and cheered at all the right moments! It was perfect! I was kinda embarrased though... Remember the part when the camera is showing all the noble Men and Elves standing on the battlements of Helm's Deep, and then they show Gimli but all you really see is the top inch of his helmet? I burst out laughing at that precise moment. Fine so far huh? NOT! Everyone else was quiet! Oh, sorry, just until I laughed! Then Everyone <I>else</I> laughed. I made a point of waiting until everyone else started laughing to laugh again during the rest of the movie...
Old 12-30-2002, 05:42 PM   #22
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

the real findorfin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to the real findorfin Send a message via AIM to the real findorfin
Sting

I went to see it today with friends and booked it quite early but still ended up with awful seats. Second row to the left, argh!!! We moved into the middle but got chucked back down there before it started, damn!<P>The audience laughed and stuff but nothing like fans would do, sigh! I don't think I even know many true fans, all of two maybe.
Old 12-30-2002, 06:14 PM   #23
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

The first time I saw it, the audience cheered <I>quite</I> loudly anytime anything happened that was interesting, whether it was good for evil people or good for benevolent people.<P>The second time, the kid behind me was sick, so all that happened was that he kept snorting and coughing. No other noise at all. It was almost like everyone was comatose. Well, it <I>was</I> 11:00 a.m., but still...
Old 12-31-2002, 04:06 PM   #24
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dūm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Ugh - comatose. How dreadful.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I made a point of waiting until everyone else started laughing to laugh again during the rest of the movie... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I went with a friend that reacted <I>late</I> to everything, and I don't mean just a little late. Ex:<BR>Legolas: "Shall I describe it to you, or should I get you a box?"<BR>Gimli: *Grins, laughs*<P>Audience laughs, scene changes<P>Camera pans around the walls of Helm's Deep, the orcs are clanking their way up the valley, we see the awed and terrified faces of the defenders... and she laughs. Exasperating.
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 04:35 PM   #25
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Camera pans around the walls of Helm's Deep, the orcs are clanking their way up the valley, we see the awed and terrified faces of the defenders... and she laughs. Exasperating. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Maybe she was mentally in a different time zone or something...or maybe it took a while for the vision to register in her brain...get the idea I'm trying to defend her?<P>Well, I'm seeing The Two Towers again tomorrow and I'll report back on the audience then.<P>EDIT: Oooo...post #1700...<p>[ December 31, 2002: Message edited by: VanimaEdhel ]
Old 01-03-2003, 12:21 PM   #26
Ainahithiel of Mirkwood
Animated Skeleton

Ainahithiel of Mirkwood has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I went to see "Two Towers" for the 6th time, and I'm the first person to come, cause I wanted a front row seat(which I have failed to get for the past five times! ) So I get there, and the guy at the popcorn machine says "you've seen this at least 3 times" and I hold up 5 fingers, then add one for this time. he just shakes his head and says "isn't that a bit much?" <P>"no way man!" I reply, then ask for my usual medium mountain dew "it's 3.25, but I bet you know that already." (actually I didn't, becuase I never by drinks, to cut down on spending) so he gives me the drink and says<BR>"you've probably read the book more though" I say 24, cause I have read the "Two Towers" about that much. but then I relize, oh... he meant the full thing... heh heh. he says<BR>"that's a little to much for me." I just smiled and walk to get a straw. and then to the theather, he stops me by saying "dude! that's the one ring around your neck!" and then the four other employees come and check the ring, and the guy says "i'm savin up for the solid gold one. then I'm gonna buy the even star for my girlfriend" I just smile and nod. then....<P>"hey if you come back one more time, I'll let you in for free" <P>so, that's kinda os but still isn't that so cool??<P>and so I go into the theather and sit down. and only FIVE OTHER PEOPLE(not including the theater workers) come in. I mean, it's been a few weeks and it was a thursday at 8 but still!!!! <P>okay, going to read Return of the king again.<P>sorry to disturb you....
Old 01-03-2003, 12:49 PM   #27
dunedain_aragorn
Animated Skeleton

dunedain_aragorn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Lotsa people cried when aragorn fell off, and laughed, and people were making out during the arwen+aragorn scenes!
"I must take leave, I have not slept since Dunnharrow, and I am weary."said Aragorn. Merry seized his hand and kissed it."I am frightfully sorry, we have been a nuisance to you since Bree." Aragorn laughed and left them. "Was there ever any like him?" said Pippin,"Except for Gandalf of course. I believe they must be related."
dunedain_aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 01:09 PM   #28
Laialthriel
Animated Skeleton

Laialthriel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ainahithiel: you've seen it six times?? I'm jealous! I've tried and tried and tried but I just can't seem to get there for my <I>second</I> time!! Grrrr...<P>As for my theater experience: It was very cool. We had a pretty darn good audience. Being it was opening day, and we were at an AMC theater, it's understandable. There was scattered applause when the beginning title came up, no irritating people sitting behind or in front of me (thank you Lord!), and everyone laughed in the appropriate places. And thankfully, no one made any noises in the Frodo and Sam scenes. If they had, I would have gotten angry. <BR>Of course everyone oohed and ahhed when Legolas swung up on Arod, surfed on the shield, and uh....pretty much every other time he came on-screen. <BR>There were gasps of surprise and sorrow when Haldir was killed, and looking around you could see the pity everyone felt for Gollum/Smeagol. <BR>When the ending credits came on the screen, there was a moment of silence (I'm pretty sure an awed and stunned silence) then everyone applauded. <BR>All in all it was an awesome experience. I loved the movie and was pleased to find out there were many more like me in the crowd as well. Though I didn't see any Elves, Hobbits or Ents sitting in the seats, sadly. <P>God with you,<P> Laialthriel<p>[ January 03, 2003: Message edited by: Laialthriel ]
"Let us run with patience the race that is set before us." --Phil 3:14
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." --Gandalf the Gray
Laialthriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 03:50 AM   #29
thalioniathiel
Animated Skeleton

thalioniathiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

interesting thread!<BR>the first time I went to see it on the 18th, the AMC had 2 11am showings and I guess I was in the second theater to fill up. it was about 3/4 full. that audience was quite responsive. a few people cheered when Ian McKellen's voice came on during a preview of X2. then a preview of the movie Orlando Bloom will be in...the audience cheered when his name showed up. <BR>I'm not one to cheer or exclaim even when I'm excited, but I couldn't help letting out a whoop when Legolas did his skateboard move and also when he swung onto the horse. there was quite a bit of laughter at various funny parts, especially during some of Gollum's lines. at the end, there was a lot of applause. <P>the second time I went to see it, there wasn't as much response, except from one little old lady sitting in front of me. apparently she was totally unfamiliar with the story and hadn't seen the previews, because certain things came as a total surprise to her, like Treebeard opening his eyes or Gandalf returning, and she would gasp and clap. it got kind of annoying, although I was glad she was enjoying the movie so much. she clapped at almost every little thing, such as Gandalf telling off Wormtongue and Theoden throwing Wormtongue out.
thalioniathiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 11:40 AM   #30
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

My audience was *very* enthusiastic! Everyone cheered when the movie started, and when it ended, and whenever Legolas did something cool (i.e. shield surfing at Helm's Deep ). I, myself, cheered along with everyone else, as well as going "AWWWWWW!" just about every time Merry and Pip were on screen (not near enought though! ). At the end, I cheered, but then I started yelling at the screen and telling them to play the *real* end and show Shelob. That was my only problem. My friend had an interesting perspective, though; he was getting mad at everyone for laughing at Gollum, and needed some serious self-control so he wouldn't get up and start yelling at people. I know he wouldn't, 'cause he's got to be the quietest guy on the planet, but the thought is funny.<P>That was just the first time I saw it too! I've seen it five times already (one more viewing is planned for this Saturday!). The first time I went and the second probably had the best audiences, but the fourth and fifth times I went were my favorites. My friend and I had jokes running through the whole movie, so she and I were sitting there sniggering (quietly) through the whole thing. And we have new jokes everytime we go! <P>And, PeregrinTook, I too have plans to see RotK on opening day!!!!! LotR fans unite!!!! <p>[ January 07, 2003: Message edited by: Sapphire_Flame ]
Old 01-07-2003, 12:50 PM   #31
Thingol1000
Animated Skeleton

Thingol1000 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Upon rlease, very enthusiastic. Later veiwings (two weeks after release date) much more subdued.
Thingol1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 12:59 PM   #32
Arien
Shade of Carn Dūm

Arien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Arien
Silmaril

I went to see it 4 days after it was realeased, the Cinema was packed. And at the end everyone stood up and applauded...<P>Then I went to see it again on the 28th of December and it was like any other film.....<P>Then I went to see it again on the 30th and when I came out there was a line going out of The Cinema and around the corner, and they were queing up for TTT so it must of been good!
Old 01-09-2003, 09:34 AM   #33
Gryphon Hall
Animated Skeleton

Gryphon Hall has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Gryphon Hall
Pipe

You guys are just soooo lucky you have all the opportunities to watch TTT all those many times.<P>Where I live, we are having a film festival, so no films except local films allowed since Christmas until January 11. <P>I really want to see it again, especially after watching the extended DVD of FotR.
Gryphon Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 11:00 AM   #34
Balin999
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Balin999 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Balin999
Sting

The first time I went to the cinema the audience was really quiet, though they laughed especially about Gimli (they obviously liked the scene when he can't see over the wall in Helm's Deep), which was a bit disturbing for me, but we have discussed that already.<BR>Something that really annoyed me was that everyone laughed at Gollum. I nearly cried everytime I saw him. Usually I don't cry at the cinema, but this time it was different, I felt so sorry for the poor creature. P.J and especially Serkis have done excellent work! I guess the people that haven't read the books couldn't understand Gollum and didn't know Gimli, so they can be forgiven.<BR>The second time was horrible. In our row there were 7 or 8 kids that were running around all the time. I wished for Gimli's axe everytime one of them passed me by. <BR>All in all the audience was ok, though they didn't understand everything as it was meant to be understood.

...The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, but conformity...

...Everything is possible, except to ski through a revolving door...
Balin999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 07:08 AM   #35
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, the first time I went(0n the first day) the place was full of people wearing elf clothes and "Save the Ents" t-shirts, and "I Love Legolas" t-shirts. Everyone clapped and laughed at all the right parts. <P>On the other hand, when I went the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th times a few months later, people didn't laugh at all. No reaction whatsoever! That's a real pain, so me and my friends just laughed really really loud at all the funny parts to make a point! <p>[ July 30, 2003: Message edited by: Sirithheruwen ]
Old 07-30-2003, 10:02 AM   #36
BethoHOG
Haunting Spirit

BethoHOG has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to BethoHOG
Sting

The first time I saw it was on the 18th, at 12:01 a.m. Obviously, almost everyone who were there were die-hard fans. <P>As soon as the movie started (after all those previews), everyone started cheering and clapping, until one guy from the audience yelled, "OKAY! QUIET PEOPLE!" Haha.<P>They cheered and clapped when Gandalf battled the Balrog as they fell. They screamed in delight when Legolas side mounted the horse and when he surfed down the stairs.<P>They clapped for a lot of other things that I can no longer remember. <P>Oh, and of course, everyone clapped, cheered and hooted and even gave a standing ovation when the movie ended!<P>It's very fun and a great experience watching it on the very first showing where you don't have to hide your emotion and can cheer freely among other fans.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:23 AM   #37
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dūm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Shield

Well my audience was really emotional. They laughed at Gollum, Gimli, and Pippin! And the third time I went this baby was crying almost the whole time! Seriously, who brings a baby to an 8 PM 3 hour movie? Some people...<BR>But one of the times I went this 15 year old kid (I'm guessing) with a backwards cap was like "Wooo! Go Gimli!" Whenever Gimli pulled a neat move in Helm's Deep. There's a Gimli fan for ya! But I was the only one in the theater that didn't laugh at Gollum's schizo scenes, because I knew what he had been through and if you really think about it, it wasn't funny.<BR>Oh yeah, and people laughed when Grishnakh pulled Merry off of Treebeard (before he woke up)! It wasn't even funny! But then again, you're listening to a Merry fan... and there's almost as many of those as there are Gimli fans...
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 02:36 PM   #38
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dūm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I have the most infuriating friends/relatives to go to the movies with. <BR>My friends are either Legolas maniacs or Gollum maniacs. They think he is cute and 'aww' at every scene. And my Legolas-friend only watched the movies because Orlando is in them. She sits there going 'mmmm' or 'he is so fittt' every time he is on screen.<BR> My brother never watched FotR but he came to see TTT with me for some reason that only God truly knows. Probably to annoy me with his stupid questions. You know the sort, 'I thought he died!', 'Why did he just *fall* in the water?' 'Why are there two Gollums'?<BR>Is it any wonder I go to the cinema on my own now? <BR>I suppose that wasn't really about complete audience reactions, just particular *sections* of the audience. I get really paranoid that my companions are annoying people with their constant chatting so I just sit there stressing about that. <BR>As for costumes, I've never worn them to see lotR, just my trusty 'Frodo Lives' cap. <BR>
Old 07-30-2003, 03:35 PM   #39
Sauron 666
Haunting Spirit

Sauron 666 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The only thing that really upset me with people's reactions were two incidences:<P>After the 2nd time i saw FOTR in the theatre these dumbass highschool aged turds were like 'what?' 'thats the end?' 'you the book is like a thousand pages' basically they had no idea what a great epic piece of art this was based on and were expecting some piece of crap like the fast and the furious or something. <P>after i saw TTT the 1st time (the day it came out!) these stupid preteen girls starting 'oouing' or whatever you call it when Vigg's name popped up on the screen during the credits. ***? I can't stand idioits like this, they should all be shot!
Sauron 666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 07:33 PM   #40
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, I like it when people stay quiet during the film itself, but afterwards it would be lovely if people clapped or cheered. For example, behind my friend Elen and I when we went to see TTT were a bunch of annoying kids. Who would not shut up throughout the movie, and I had to yell "Aww!" at the Brego part to make them be quiet. When people talk through the movie it ticks me off, but if they laugh or cry or cheer, it's okay. But only once or twice.
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote