The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-05-2003, 04:16 AM   #1
secretfire
Pile O'Bones

secretfire has just left Hobbiton.
Ring Cate Blanchett/Galadriel

I've always loved Cate. From the first time I saw her in 'Elizabeth' I've kept close watch on her career. Of course she is perfect as Galadriel. <BR>1. Who would have played Galadriel other than Cate?<BR>2. How about a substitute for Liv as Arwen?
Old 04-05-2003, 07:56 AM   #2
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Substitute for Arwen: Glorfindel :P<P>I think Cate was brilliant in Elizabeth, and just about anything else, really. I cant think of anyone who could take her place as Galadriel... <P>I've got one actress in my head, but I dont know her name... she wouldnt be right, anyway... I'll see what other people come up with first...<p>[ April 05, 2003: Message edited by: Meela ]
Old 04-05-2003, 08:19 AM   #3
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't really recall seeing Blanchett in any movie before LotR, but my memory isn't all that wonderful.<P>I don't think anyone could have replaced her, but perhaps Nicole Kidman could've given it a go. No, I'm not joking.<P>I can't think of anyone to replace Tyler in the role of Arwen. Maybe Nicole Kidman again, but I'm not sure there'd be as much chemistry between her and Mortensen as there is between him and Tyler.
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 08:23 AM   #4
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Nicole would have been ok as Galadriel, actually. I can imagine her with a simliar sort of voice.<P>As for Arwen: the chemistry between her and Viggo? Dont know how good it would have been then, but theyve been linked as a couple (dont know when). unless theres another viggo i dont know about...
Old 04-05-2003, 08:26 AM   #5
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Sting

I can’t think Of Cate in any other movie either. It is weird but I really haven’t! <BR>I would agree Nicole Kidman to replace Cate in The Lord Of The Rings.<BR>And maybe to replace Liv Tyler could be Sandra Bullock ( I think I spelt her name wrong) but it just doesn’t go. Those people who were chosen were perfect!
Niluial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 12:29 PM   #6
Elotareth
Animated Skeleton

Elotareth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yeah, Liv's perfect for the role in my opinion. And Cate Blanchett is absolutely amazing as Galadriel. I don't think Sandra Bullock would be very good as Arwen, but perhaps. She seems, well, too <I>human</I> to play Arwen.
Matthew 28:20
"Renewed shall be blade that was broken, the crownless again shall be king"
Elotareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 02:17 PM   #7
Galadriel9
Haunting Spirit

Galadriel9 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hi, this is a cool thread, I thought both Liv Tyler and Cate Blanchett were brilliant, what do people think about Michelle Pfieffer(sorry about the possible wrong spelling)as Galadriel? I always imagined Galadriel as quite similar to Michelle P's presentation of Titania in A Midsummer Night's Dream...Also, I know this wasn't one of the questions but what do people think about Anna Friel as Eowyn? No? Obviously, Miranda Otto was wicked too...
Old 04-06-2003, 02:30 AM   #8
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The only other actress who could have pulled off Galadriel, would have been Nicole Kidman. But.. if Celebrian had been in LOTR, i think Nicole would have been able to play her.

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 10:27 PM   #9
The Evenstar
Wight

The Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Yes, I was thinking the same thing,Galadriel9. Michelle Pfieffer would have looked fine for Galadriel, but I'm not sure about a replacement for Arwen. In my opinion, Liv Tyler IS Arwen! She is just so Elfy (if you know what I'm saying!)<BR>Sandra Bullock, as you said, Elotareth, would have been too human.
Old 04-07-2003, 09:56 AM   #10
Liamtan

Sting

I think that Kate was the perfect actress for Galadriel. I can't imagine Nicole Kidman, even though she is a great actress, playing Galadriel, but don't ask me why. I think it's Kate's eyes that make her "more Galadriel" than anyone else.<P>I totally agree with Meela that I didn't see any chemistry between Liv and Viggo. I can't think of a better actress right now, but I'll let you know what my choice would have been.
Old 04-11-2003, 04:36 AM   #11
secretfire
Pile O'Bones

secretfire has just left Hobbiton.
Question

thank you galadriel9 for thinking of this as a cool thread. <BR>based on readers' posts, you agree that cate blanchett and liv tyler seem to fit their roles perfectly. <BR>nicole kidman as galadriel? hmmm... great idea. galadriel is probably one of those characters she'd be good in (strong and powerful). <BR>michele pfeiffer. that's a good one too. i totally forgot that she played titania in "a midsummernight's dream" a few years back. but i think cate is more credible because of the gravity of her look. <BR>sandra bullock? pass. she was lovely in "miss congeniality" though.<BR>segueway: has anyone noticed they didn't make cate's ears as pointy as orlando's and liv's? is there a reason for this?
Old 04-11-2003, 08:12 AM   #12
Iarhen
Wight

Iarhen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Cate is perfect as Galadriel. She looks very beautiful, but at the same time terrible, wise and powerful. Shes brilliant in her role. AND HER VOICE!!!<P>And I cant think of another actress portraying Arwen. Beautiful but down to earth...<P>And another great part was the one played by Christopher Lee... HE WAS F*CKING GREAT!
Old 05-14-2003, 08:01 PM   #13
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Today, May 14th is Cate Blanchett's (Galadriel) Birthday! Cate was born on May 14th, 1969 in Melbourne, Australia. That makes her 34 today! Happy Birthday Cate!
Old 05-14-2003, 08:25 PM   #14
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Substitute for arwen: Glorifindel <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>my words exactly! I thouht Cate did a pretty good job as Galdriel, although I've heard the argument she wasn't as 'stunningly beautiful' as the build-up suggested. But hey, I don't have any ideas as subs. <p>[ May 14, 2003: Message edited by: The Only Real Estel ]
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 12:53 AM   #15
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

*dances around*<BR>AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE!<BR>YAY... You know what, there are a lot of aussies in LOTR arent there?> but not as many as NZanders.

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 05-15-2003, 04:53 AM   #16
Tinuviel the Nightingale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tinuviel the Nightingale has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Yes, but there are a lot of Aussies in the <I>main</I> roles. By the way Everdawn, I love your sig. Makes me feel so proud to be an Aussie/Undying Landian *sniff*!
Tinuviel the Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 10:03 PM   #17
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Sting

I know many of the main roles are Aussies!!! It makes me *ahem* us proud! Well I think Cate Blanchett did her role perfectly…. And she has also made Australia very proud!!!
Niluial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 03:11 AM   #18
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Yes, but there are a lot of Aussies in the main roles. By the way Everdawn, I love your sig. Makes me feel so proud to be an Aussie/Undying Landian *sniff*! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Thankyou... I love my sig too...lol<P>Anyway, while thinking of Galadriel and other actresses who could have played he, I thought of Celeborn, and i had the perfect other person... Sam Niel... (of Jurassic Park fame)... totally could have pulled off Celeborn.. what do you guys think?

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 05-26-2003, 04:53 PM   #19
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I think Cate Blanchett is the only person who can play Galadriel well. She looks like her, talks like her, and has that perfect, queenly air. Not very many people can pull off that haunted beauty look as well as Cate can. Nicole (Kidman) and Michelle (Pfeiffer) are indeed beautiful, but they don't have that haunting/slightly fading quality that Cate had in the movie.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 05:42 PM   #20
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I am not a big "movie person", so I had never heard of Cate Blanchett before FoTR. My first thought was that she was not pretty enough, but I think the ears were somewhat to blame there. Also, her hair could have been less flat! Anyway....her voice totally won me over. She acted and spoke so well, that her appearance became moot. Isn't that the way good acting is supposed to work! I really like her now, and wouldn't want to see anyone else be Galadriel.