The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-16-2003, 12:48 PM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril **RotK - Minas Tirith**

What did you think of the scenes in Minas Tirith?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 02:22 PM   #2
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Minas Tirith itself was beautiful. But to go on about the White Tree only to do nothing with it was counterproductive. I didn't like the way Denethor was shoved around by Gandalf either.<P>Loved the catapults, loved the severed heads. Loved the Pyre, though not what they did with it.
Old 12-18-2003, 12:33 AM   #3
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Catapult v trebuchet.
Old 12-18-2003, 06:09 PM   #4
Lily Bracegirdle
Wight

Lily Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I thought it was a very beautiful and well done set, but I sure wouldn't want to live there! It was pretty, but sterile, cramped and uncomfortable looking. I felt a bit sorry for Aragorn and Arwen for having to live there for the rest of their lives. And, as my husband said: "the view sucks!"<P>The landscaping elves will have their work cut out for them. <P>As for the white tree, it did a good job as king's confetti maker a la Excalibur. I'm glad they didn't take the time in the movie for Aragorn to find another. I think we have enough precedent for the king = land idea in movies for people to understand why the tree came into bloom once Aragorn came along.<P>*Loved* the severed heads!<P>Can't understand how they loaded such LARGE chunks of masonry into the trebuchets.<P>-Lily
Old 12-19-2003, 10:03 AM   #5
Lord Elrond
Animated Skeleton

Lord Elrond has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I thought it was done pretty good as a whole. If I were to criticize it I would say that too much of the upper levels were harmed. In the book it was primarily just the lower level and the second lowest level. Too many bad guys made it into the city itself and the overlook was not supposed to be on the seventh level the precipice they looked off of to the gates below was on either the third or fourth I cant remember which. The same thing with the Rath Dinen it was not supposed to be on the seventh level nor was the beacon.but all in all it was very enjoyable
Old 12-19-2003, 10:52 AM   #6
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The shots from on high of Gandalf arriving and riding through the city were stunning.<P>As was the 'hand held' camera shot when the Rohirrim finally arrive on the PF and the city is a mile or so away. Stunning.<P>But Gandalf would surely have been arrested if he had clumped Denethor with his staff.
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 11:08 AM   #7
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril

The scenes in Minas Tirith were nothing short of stunning! I was amazed at the details they put into that model and the set were equally stunning - especially the upper most level of the city!<P>Bravo to the designers for yet again making Minas Tirith into a <I>real</I> and <I>believable</I> place, to say nothing of being beautiful! <p>[ 12:09 PM December 19, 2003: Message edited by: Arathiriel ]
Old 12-19-2003, 12:11 PM   #8
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I also agree that the handheld shot of the city about a mile away from the Rohirrim was amazing. It was so incredible! The entire theater was cheering during ALL of the Minas Tirith scenes. Especially when Denethor got that smackdown from Gandalf. It was so hilarious!
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 12:18 PM   #9
Jjudvven
Wight

Jjudvven has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jjudvven
Sting

I though Minis Tirith was done amazingly well. It wasn't what I had always pictured it as, but I suppose that's the price we have to pay for watching the movie, right? <P>Although it worked beautifully for the movie I thought. And I don't mind having that image stuck in my head every time I read the books from now on.