The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-18-2003, 03:36 PM   #1
Mansoron

Sting Is Gandalf the only one?

has anyone else in past ages challenged a balrog and won? do you have to be a Maiar to be victorious?
Old 12-18-2003, 04:11 PM   #2
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes others have killed balrogs, always by somehow throwing them down cliffs, however, the person doing the killing usually dies in the attempt.
Old 12-18-2003, 05:13 PM   #3
Mahal
Haunting Spirit

Mahal has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Mahal
Sting

No, all the others were Elfes and not maia spirits. But like Arwen said most died in the attempt, like ecthelion who I tought drowned together with Gothmog lord of the Balrogs.
Old 12-19-2003, 05:45 PM   #4
Meoshi
Wight

Meoshi has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Three cases of fighting with Balrogs are reported. Two have already been mentioned (Gandalf, Ecthelion), and the third was Glorfindel, who died fighting a Balrog while escaping with refugees from ruined Gondolin.
Meoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 12:23 AM   #5
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Glorfindel and Ecthelion, Noldorin lords of Gondolin, slew a balrog each, and each died in the process - just as Gandalf did.
Old 12-20-2003, 11:07 AM   #6
Tuor Turambar,Cursed by the Valar
Wight

Tuor Turambar,Cursed by the Valar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Just wondering- how can elves slay a corrupted maia? they are not as powerful, even though they are elven lords.

No, im not turin. Or tuor. Or anyone. I am not!
Tuor Turambar,Cursed by the Valar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 11:29 AM   #7
Earendilyon
Wight

Earendilyon has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Tuor, just wondering: why do you add 'Cursed by the Valar' to your name? IIRC, Tuor was the only Man (Human and Elvish alike) who was reckoned to be a Vala! Or is this just a typo for "Túrin Turambar etc"? In that case, his whole family was Doomed, but only by a fromer Vala by the name of Morgoth.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 12:46 PM December 20, 2003: Message edited by: Earendilyon ]

Dominus Anulorum

TolkienGateway - large Tolkien encyclopedia.
Earendilyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 11:51 AM   #8
Tuor Turambar,Cursed by the Valar
Wight

Tuor Turambar,Cursed by the Valar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

To confuse people like you. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Not a typo, this is my name. It is basically nonsense, but it sounds interesting.

No, im not turin. Or tuor. Or anyone. I am not!
Tuor Turambar,Cursed by the Valar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 11:53 AM   #9
Eöl
Animated Skeleton

Eöl has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

to answer tuor's question :
i think they were equal or less powerfull than the elven lords just because of their corruption. Agreed, they had great power and it waxed and waned with melko's but i think their power lessened by their ensaring,but also in that time the Noldoli were mighty indeed.

But then again, were the Gondothlim that strong? Because in BOLT Rog slays alot Balrogs.
Old 12-20-2003, 01:26 PM   #10
Mahal
Haunting Spirit

Mahal has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Mahal
Sting

And the elves were also stronger because they still had the light of the trees in their eyes.
Old 12-20-2003, 02:12 PM   #11
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Rog is a fairly controversial character because he is described as slaying several Balrogs, whereas much stronger warriors like Ecthelion and Glorfindel fought one, and still died while killing them. Unless there are different "grades" of Balrogs, with different levels of strength, I don't think that Rog could have slain many Balrogs. Most likely, he would have been able to slay the "weaker" ones.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 02:17 PM   #12
Eöl
Animated Skeleton

Eöl has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

hm, is it stated that Glorfindel and Ecthelion were stronger? because it is said that Rog was of a house(don't exactly remember the name) with alot of miners and escaped thralls from melko and they were the strongest ?

correct me if i'm wrong finwe(i'm learning from this [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] )
Old 12-20-2003, 02:37 PM   #13
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

True, Rog was of a very strong House, but Ecthelion was one of the greatest captains of Gondolin, which is shown by his guardianship of the last gate. Only one of the strongest could be trusted with that post, and since Ecthelion had charge of it, I assume that he was one of the strongest. As for Glorfindel, I admit, it is an assumption. Perhaps it was mere chance that while they were fighting, the Balrog fell off of the cliff, I'm not sure.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Old 12-20-2003, 03:05 PM   #14
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Maédhros has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Maédhros
Tolkien

Quote:
But then again, were the Gondothlim that strong? Because in BOLT Rog slays alot Balrogs.
The issue of Balrogs at the Fall of Gondolin is interesting. In the Tale of the Fall of Gondolin, there are hundreds of Balrogs.
From the Tale
Quote:
yet others were creatures of pure flame that writhed like ropes of molten metal, and they brought to ruin whatever fabric they came nigh, and iron and stone melted before them and became as water, and upon them rode the Balrogs in hundreds; and these were the most dire of all those monsters which Melko devised against Gondolin.
But that conception changed of course:
Quote:
ibid.
The idea that Morgoth disposed of a 'host' of Balrogs endured long, but in a late note my father said that only very few ever existed -- 'at most seven'.
So we have an evolution of the number of Balrogs. It appears that only Gothmog and the Balrog slained by Glorfindel were the ones who perished in the Tale and the others were to be discarded.

Regarding Rog:
Quote:
ibid.
as the Noldoli sing yet, and many of the Orcs were borne backward into the fires below; but the men of Rog leapt even upon the coils of the serpents and came at those Balrogs and smote them grievously, for all they had whips of Same and claws of steel, and were in stature very great. They battered them into nought, or catching at their whips wielded these against them, that they tore them even as they had aforetime torn the Gnomes; and the number of Balrogs that perished was a marvel and dread to the hosts of Melko, for ere that day never had any of the Balrogs been slain by the hand of Elves or Men.
It seems to me that these balrogs cannot be taken to be of the later conception. In the examples of Echtelion and Glorfindel the Tale is especific by stating that it was a single Balrog, unlike with the case of the Men of Rog.
Also in the Tale, Tuor slew five balrogs too, which cannot be taken to be of the later conception IMO.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:22 AM   #15
Earendilyon
Wight

Earendilyon has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Tuor, I see you understand [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Quote:
It is basically nonsense

Dominus Anulorum

TolkienGateway - large Tolkien encyclopedia.
Earendilyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 03:13 PM   #16
Oroaranion
Haunting Spirit

Oroaranion has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Is this the same Glorfindel that came across Frodo and Strider? Or was that another Elf with a very similar name?
Old 12-22-2003, 03:23 PM   #17
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

It was the same Glorfindel. He alone of all the Elves was sent back to Middle-earth, to help in the fight against Sauron. I'm assuming that he was sent back because he sacrifced his life so that the future of Beleriand (i.e. Earendil) could be saved. Also, Elves are given a choice, after their period of "atonement" in the Halls of Mandos is over. They can either stay in the Halls of Mandos, or be "reincarnated" into bodies identical to the ones that they "bore" in their previous life. Glorfindel apparently chose the latter, and was thus able to come to Middle-earth to help the Free Peoples fight Sauron.
Old 12-22-2003, 06:29 PM   #18
Lost One
Haunting Spirit

Lost One has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Inside Middle-earth, the LOTR Glorfindel is indeed the same as the Gondolin character. Outside (as it were) it was a bit of a fix-up, as I understand it. Tolkien reused the name, and then retrospectively decided that they were the same character. He might have done this also with another reused name - Legolas - but didn't. This makes Glorfindel an interesting character, and possibly one with unfulfilled potential - so far as I'm aware, he was the only reborn elf to return from Valinor to Middle-earth (quite how he returned I'm not sure - are we ever told? Perhaps he came with the Istari). This would suggest some major role or fate, which never in fact happened.
Lost One is offline   Reply With Quote