The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-18-2003, 11:53 AM   #1
lord_of_rohan2003
Animated Skeleton

lord_of_rohan2003 has just left Hobbiton.
Question If Frodo met Denathor....

Just a what if quetion,but what do you think if Denathor have met Frodo along his way to destroy the one ring?Do you think from the use of the Palinter he would of known about him having the one ring from Saraun somehow,and if so what would be his reaction?
lord_of_rohan2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 12:39 PM   #2
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

A rather strange 'what if' question as the two said characters' paths were never likely to cross. So you'll have to name a destination.

Would Denethor be randomly hanging out in Mordor? Or would Frodo have been, oh I don't know, captured by Faramir and taken to Minas Tirith? (heehee! like that would ever happen)

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 1:40 PM December 18, 2003: Message edited by: Eomer of the Rohirrim ]
Old 12-18-2003, 01:13 PM   #3
lord_of_rohan2003
Animated Skeleton

lord_of_rohan2003 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Either way,Faramir taking him,Frodo going way off track,just use your imagination [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
lord_of_rohan2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 05:14 PM   #4
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dûm

Olorin_TLA has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Denethor would have taken him to Minas Trith, and taken the Ring. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

ELENDIL! - Join "Forth Tolkiengas!"
Olorin_TLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 10:06 PM   #5
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting

I think Denethor wouldn't have needed the Palantir to discern that Frodo had the Ring. What he would have DONE with him is another story...though it's another one of those Tolkien moot questions. I am guessing he would at first make a small effort at reasoning, then simply take the Ring. Boromir tried to reason with Frodo, and even with himself, by telling him what excuses he could make.

Quote:
*cough* Saddam! *cough* *cough*
Eh? What's this all about?
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 09:41 AM   #6
Lord Elrond
Animated Skeleton

Lord Elrond has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I agree with the Knight Denathor would have taken the ring and tried to use it and it would have corrupted him like it did his son Boromir. Denathor was proud and arrogant and would have thought he was powerful enough to use the ring just as he used the palantir and was broken by it.
Old 02-12-2004, 12:16 AM   #7
rutslegolas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

rutslegolas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to rutslegolas Send a message via Yahoo to rutslegolas
of course denethor would have taken the ring from frodo if frodo would have met him and he would have used it but would the ring ever corrupt or should i say take control of denethor because in denthor their was the blood of numenor , well can someone tell me the answer?
Old 02-12-2004, 06:22 AM   #8
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
There are numerous instances of Men with Numenorean blood being corrupted, by Sauron directly even, so I don't think that's a reason to argue that Denethor would not take the Ring.
Old 02-12-2004, 07:53 AM   #9
Numenorean
Haunting Spirit

Numenorean has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Rutslegolas -
Quote:
but would the ring ever corrupt or should i say take control of denethor because in denthor their was the blood of numenor
I get the feeling Denethor would have been corrupted rather swiftly by direct possession of the Ring. His Númenorean blood was fairly diluted anyway, his good spiritual faith had long since waned in favour of power politics, and as Eomer stated there are many instances where Númenoreans - even at the height of their dominion and vigour - were corrupted by the lesser rings and tricksy words of Sauron the Deceiver.
'…Avallónë, the haven of the Eldar upon Eressëa, easternmost of the Undying Lands, and thence at times the Firstborn still would come sailing to Númenor in oarless boats, as white birds flying from the sunset…'
Numenorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 02:17 PM   #10
Ellwyn
Animated Skeleton

Ellwyn has just left Hobbiton.
Denethor would be corrupted by the Ring, probably get into big fight with Frodo probably resulting in Frodo's imprisonment or death. Not unless Sam had anything to say about it though
'Too often have I heard of duty. But am I not of the House of Eorl, a shieldmaiden and not a dry-nurse? I have waited on faltering feet long enough. Since they falter no longer, it seems, may I not now spend my life as I will?' - Éowyn
Ellwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 04:29 PM   #11
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Sorta obvious, dont'cha think?

Yes, Denethor would take the Ring, but he might not use it to his own devices. He was under severe Palantir influence and the forces of evil could have continued the "dehabilitation" of the Steward to a point where he couldn't even figure out what to do with the Ring. Then, Denny might be convinced to just give up the Ring after being fully corrupted by both ring and palantir.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 01:59 AM   #12
rutslegolas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

rutslegolas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to rutslegolas Send a message via Yahoo to rutslegolas
no i do not think that if denethor had the ring he would be under the control of the dark lord as kransha says

i think if he had the ring the madness would'nt have possessed him and he would fight the seige of gondor himself.
and if all else would have failed he would have used the ring himself and then fight the siege and would have wrenched the palantir out of the dark lords control.
and then maybe perhaps he would have overthrown the dark lord.

thats just what i think maybe it is wrong.
Old 03-03-2004, 02:41 PM   #13
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
Denethor would have taken Frodo to Minas Tirith, killed Gollum, taken the Ring and ME would have been destroyed.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:18 AM   #14
bilbo_baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: In my front hallway, grabbing my staff, about to head out my door
bilbo_baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to bilbo_baggins
Pipe

I think everyone is missing an important part! What if at this instant, of Denethor trying to take the Ring, Frodo is to claim the Ring and use it? What would happen then?
Old 03-05-2004, 01:42 PM   #15
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
The Eye Denethor

Besides the pride and arrogance Denethor was a very wise man like his son Faramir. Boromir just cared about fighting and knew basically nothing about the ring. Faramir was wise in the lore so he was able to reject the ring. Denethor was also very wise and I believe for a while or short period of time Denethor would of resisted the ring. Of course this depending on the situation Gondor was upon the brink of destruction he might of done anything to save Gondor.

But, Denethor was more concerned about other things then the ring. He was worried about Gondor's fate and worried that this "Telcontar" would claim the throne of Gondor and "supplant" him. No, I think without the palantir Denethor would of known about the ring. His short talk with pippin he already figured out more then what pippin had said. He knew that when Gandalf the Grey died and his son Boromir hadn't led the fellowship there was someone else in the Fellowship that was from a nobler(don't even know if thats a word, but bear with me) background.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote