The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-06-2007, 11:16 AM   #3841
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Quote:
By the way, I see we could have a little problem with typing your name. You see, when someone has a long username, to avoid typing it in full, we usually invent some shortened version for him and call him like that. But in your case, I don't think calling you satan, or loser, or even 2005 would be a thing that you'd like. Maybe sal or something like that would be good enough, what do you say?
How about stan? We don't have a stan and it has all the necessary letters.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:31 PM   #3842
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Haha. I'll go with Sally, that's what I get called on a lot of other boards. Thanks for the welcome!
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 04:33 PM   #3843
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Oh alright, but I still like stan. Think of the gender confusion there could have been! If you want to join up Sally just follow that link from Lommy.

EDIT: Er, Lommy is Thinlomien, before that little bit of confusion starts up again.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:55 PM   #3844
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Btw. as it seems my game is the next I'd just like to hear a view or two about it. I'm open to all suggestions.

I have one basic idea which would be "the scouring of the Shire, Vol II". That would mean the players would be Hobbits in the world from where Frodo has left and where something Saruman did before he died has started to grow. It might enable a chance to play Sam, Merry and Pip as well as Rosie Cotton etc. I'm not sure if it should be role-oriented even if I like myself games with an RPG-element in them.

But this information just for you to have a consideration about it and to give me a few guidelines about what it might be you would be interested in.

Another question is whether it should be a "classical game" - which is just fine by me as I do like them - or whether you'd like to see some new ideas or surprises. So just let me know either by answering to this thread or PM'ing me about your thoughts.

Yea, I know I'm a bit early with this but as I will be away the next week I'd like to bring this thing forwards now so that I could prepare for it in time.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 02:44 AM   #3845
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Sounds very good, do keep the theme!

I'm always for un-classical games and if it's role-based, I'd rather be some unknown hobbit.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:50 AM   #3846
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Noggie,

If you do a classic style game I may be interested. Let me know time frames please.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:35 PM   #3847
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morm
Noggie,
If you do a classic style game I may be interested. Let me know time frames please.
I'm just back from Cuba and need to get some sleep with all the jet lag and stuff. But I would be interested in modding a traditional game indeed. I'll try to come up with a discussion thread tomorrow.

As soon as we have the 15 (+- a few) players I'm ready to go.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:28 PM   #3848
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
i just thought of another idea similar to my Werewolf gang wars, but its almost like a village war.

There are 2 villages each start with 6 people, so thats 12 people all together. that number includes 3 wolves and 3 gifted (seer, hunter, ranger) randomly split between the two. basically the villages take turns in either lynching a member or sending a member to the other villages

for example:

Day 1 - Village A lynches a person
- Village B votes to send a person over to village A
Night 1 - gifteds talk, they can only dream/hunt/protect someone in the vilalge they currently reside in
- wolves talk, wolves can only kill a person in the village they are most numerous in, if they are down to 1 wolf in each village, they must decide who to kill in one village.
Day 2 - Village A votes to send a person to Village B
- Village B lynches someone

it goes on till one village is completely gone, then the remaining village fights it out amongst themselves.

this is just a thought and i already am coming up with contradictions and dilemmas... but its my crazy thinking again...
Old 11-26-2007, 01:12 AM   #3849
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Three words.

Count. Me. In.

And as for a role-oriented game, it's probably not my preference but I'm definitely willing to give it a shot!
Old 11-26-2007, 08:57 AM   #3850
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Definitely must have another go.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:17 PM   #3851
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
Who's up next in the modding list, if we have one?

I'd very much like to mod a

Roleplaying Werewolf Game

and I should have plenty of spare time over the Winter break (starting on Wednesday)... but if anyone else is up for modding, they of course go first.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:22 PM   #3852
Volo

I'm first, but please, let's not start modding the next one just yet... I need to relax, and probably everybody else too, before the next game.

The very earliest starting day is 22nd of December.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:31 PM   #3853
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
After finishing this last game, I decided I would like to do one as well.
Probably some crazy idea.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:55 PM   #3854
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Volo, are you really going to start a game on the final days before Christmas? If so, I certainly won't be able to join....I'll be out of town for the holidays.

What I'm really hoping is that someone will start a game either on the last few days of December or the first week of January. Any earlier or later, then I can't participate. It may sound selfish of me, but this might be my last opportunity for a WW game in awhile. So, I'd really love to join if I can.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:59 PM   #3855
Volo

Oh, Christmas... Indeed... I forgot about is as I decided not to celebrate it.

Well, I'll start the sign-ups on the 22nd then. I somebody still dares to play WW, I wouldn't were I not a mod.

Rikae, still willing to be a co-mod? I'll probably need the help in January.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:13 PM   #3856
Azaelia of Willowbottom
Shade of Carn Dūm

Azaelia of Willowbottom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Azaelia of Willowbottom
Silmaril

If signups are starting the 22nd, and the game doesn't start until after the holiday, I'll be there. I haven't played WW in a while, and the timing looks pretty good on this game. Yay!
Old 12-09-2007, 04:16 PM   #3857
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volo View Post
Rikae, still willing to be a co-mod? I'll probably need the help in January.
Oh dear... this is not good timing.
I'm going to be on vacation during the first two weeks of January.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 04:24 PM   #3858
Volo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azaelia of Willowbottom View Post
If signups are starting the 22nd, and the game doesn't start until after the holiday, I'll be there. I haven't played WW in a while, and the timing looks pretty good on this game. Yay!
Great!

But since the game is going to be experimental, I'll warn everybody now and explain the basic rules:
The optimal number of players is 21 (!!), but it can also be 18 and in a worse case 15.

A third will be Wolves.
A third will be Special (Slight variations of the Seer, Ranger, Hunter and Cobbler).
A third will be Innocent.

Rules will be explained completely, I will add no surprises into the game.
There will be a single Lover at most.
The roles will be given out by random.

Votes will be revealed, but the roles of the players will be revealed only to certain players - still undecided on how to arrange this.

The mechanics go as such:
The game will start with a Day to Day phase, with no Nights between. The ammount of Days will be the ammoun of players divided by 3. (21 players, 7 Days).
On each of these Days only 3 players will be allowed to post in the thread and vote. One of the 3 players is a Wolf.
In a way this means that the last Day will be played before the real game.

After that phase the game will continue with 14 players like any normal game.

I'll answer any questions already now, but I'll write the rules more clearly later on.

If this feels like an impossible idea, we'll have to think of something else.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:25 PM   #3859
Volo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post
Oh dear... this is not good timing.
I'm going to be on vacation during the first two weeks of January.
Ok, no problem. I'll think of something.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:51 PM   #3860
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Hmm....sounds like an interesting game.

If you need that many players, perhaps you should start sign-ups sooner than later? That way we won't have to wait as long to start the game.

Anyways, since I probably won't be around on the 22nd, you can sign me up ahead of time. I should be able to play as long as the game as long as it starts earlier in January. Because I can promise I won't be around much from January 16 and on.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:03 PM   #3861
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Looks interesting, sorry to intrude, but I don't have much at all going on for once this time of year and thought I might join a werewolf game. Only thing I can imagine would be in the way, time wise, is work. Though, only having three people per day post sounds enterprising.

So, if my assumptions are right, the first phase is simply a process of elimination, then the traditional number of players, those still standing, thus continue on their merry way towards more elimination. Sounds fun.
Though I have a question about nights. After the first phase of 21 players, would then the 14 players have the day-night-day pattern being used, or the day-by-day pattern still?
Just curious...

Anyways then, If there is a spot still open I'd be most willing to join the game, please.

~ Kurious Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 05:07 PM   #3862
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
*raises hand* Sounds like fun.
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 06:10 PM   #3863
Naria
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Naria has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Naria
Narya

The list

The Phantom
Volo
Farael
The Might

Room for one more

Last edited by Naria; 12-11-2007 at 10:31 PM.
Naria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 01:19 AM   #3864
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Sounds....well....how do I put this? AMAZING!

My interterm starts around the second week in January (I know when I just can't remember) so as long as the game starts after the 8th or so I'm totally up for it. Just let me know!
Old 12-10-2007, 07:52 AM   #3865
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hey Volo since you plan on taking a break, and my only free time will be these next couple of weeks, would you mind if I tried to start a game by the end of this week? that way it would probably be over before yours starts.

However, it could cause some trouble with sign-ups, so if you mind let me know and no hard feelings.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:27 PM   #3866
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farael View Post
Hey Volo since you plan on taking a break, and my only free time will be these next couple of weeks, would you mind if I tried to start a game by the end of this week? that way it would probably be over before yours starts.
If Volo's game will be on after Christmas / January I can't see a reason why there couldn't be a game before it...

It's only December 10th now...
Old 12-10-2007, 01:27 PM   #3867
Volo

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE Ka View Post
After the first phase of 21 players, would then the 14 players have the day-night-day pattern being used, or the day-by-day pattern still?
Just curious...
Day-night-day.

I'll get the thread read this week (after a few days of sleep after the preveous game).

Players:
Brinn
Zali
Ka
Shasta
Sally
Agan (?)

Farael, I guess that could happen, just don't steal my players.

Last edited by Volo; 12-10-2007 at 01:32 PM.
Volo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 01:40 PM   #3868
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farael View Post
I'd very much like to mod a

Roleplaying Werewolf Game

Farael, this idea has been discussed and quelched to a degree. Roleplay, as an official game, is to be only on the Roleplaying subforum. There are multiple reasons for this which have been discussed previously on this thread. Suffice it to say, that if you wish to do something similar to this that it has been done but it is considered an 'in character game' not roleplaying as there is a distinction and serparation that needs to be maintained.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:09 PM   #3869
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye greetings to all....

As a few of you are aware, I had an idea last summer for a special game of Werewolf. It is a type of game that has never been done before, though on the surface it will appear to be conventional. I've been wanting to launch it for a long while, as Fea can tell you. I asked her about guest-writing several months ago. My lovely schedule, however, has always been in the way of me actually launching the game.

Ah, but the seas have parted, and from now until my January classes begin, I have a window! Perhaps my last window before next July. Unfortunately, due to the fact that I have never been absolutely certain that I would have time to run the game, I never placed my name on the mod list. I spoke to Master mormegil about this problem previously, and he suggested that when the time comes I should simply pop onto the thread, state my situation, and see what the reaction is.

So here I am. Would a riot happen if I were to get a game rolling ASAP?

Last edited by the phantom; 12-10-2007 at 04:12 PM.
the phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:17 PM   #3870
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

As I am always open to new ideas, I would like to take part in your game.
And as I am sure all understand that this might be one of the few opportunities you have due to the schedule, I don't see why making it now would be a problem. I mean, I for one don't mind waiting.
Hope the others agree.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:57 PM   #3871
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

I guess it's up to morm to decide / negotiate between Farael and the phantom...

But if Volo is going to bring his game on only after Christmas / early January there surely could be a place for a game before it.

And don't worry about other games "stealing players" Volo. You can start when you have gathered enough players fex. after the one going before has ended / is at it's later stages - as I saw your timetable was quite flexible anyhow. I think there are some freaks around who'd possibly wish to join both games...
Old 12-10-2007, 05:19 PM   #3872
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Please all feel free to give your feelings regarding this. I think it will be a masterful game and worthwhile. I do understand the phantom's problems with schedule and will try to accomodate but do not wish to step on anybody's toes.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:34 PM   #3873
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
I guess it's up to morm to decide / negotiate between Farael and the phantom...

But if Volo is going to bring his game on only after Christmas / early January there surely could be a place for a game before it.

And don't worry about other games "stealing players" Volo. You can start when you have gathered enough players fex. after the one going before has ended / is at it's later stages - as I saw your timetable was quite flexible anyhow. I think there are some freaks around who'd possibly wish to join both games...
*coughs and raises hand*
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 06:18 PM   #3874
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

As to Morm's note, let's call it "in character" then... it's just a matter of semantics as far as I'm concerned so it doesn't matter how I call it... but if The Phantom really wants to have his game, then by all means go ahead... I meant to do a simpler, "quick" game (12 players tops) with only a Seer and three wolves (maybe two?) where there'd be penalties for posting "blatantly out of character" to encoruage people to take up a role and stick with it, rather than bantering a little on day 1 and then being all business.

Also, Phantom perhaps we could try co-modding a game? I don't know about your idea or any guest writers you may have, but I wouldn't mind it.

If not, by all means start your "innovative" game, there's a reasonable chance I'll have a little time for modding in January.

Edit: I'm not sure if my post seems "agressive" or not... I'm extremely tired and I just can't figure out if I'm using words with the right connotations....I mean no agression or hard-feelings, I trully don't mind how we describe the game, nor I mind Phantom modding (with or without me) right away.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:10 PM   #3875
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shastanis Althreduin View Post
*coughs and raises hand*

Yeah I'm an addict too. *hangs head in feigned shame and silliness* Hey, if I could keep my internet connection over break I'd be in on Farael/Phantom's game too (whoever's game runs) but I couldn't guarantee my daily presence so I'll have to sit that one out unless I can find a way to get more reliable internet than I get in the parking lot downtown (and at a less akward looking place ) I'll keep ya posted.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:57 AM   #3876
Azaelia of Willowbottom
Shade of Carn Dūm

Azaelia of Willowbottom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Azaelia of Willowbottom
Depending on how the specific scheduling of games works out...I might just turn into one of those freaks as well. WW withdrawal does strange things to a person.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:04 AM   #3877
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azaelia of Willowbottom View Post
Depending on how the specific scheduling of games works out...I might just turn into one of those freaks as well. WW withdrawal does strange things to a person.

Ain't it the truth. By the way I love your picture thing. makes me giggle
Old 12-11-2007, 11:19 AM   #3878
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
After sitting out most of Nogrod's legendary game, I'm dying to play some werewolf! Please sign me up for the next game (Farael's and/or Phantom's). Mac and I will promise to be good and not discuss WW outside the 'Downs.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:11 PM   #3879
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I'd like to sign up for whichever one's available. I'd prefer the phantom's, but I'll gladly do Farael's game if the phantom's game doesn't work out.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:27 PM   #3880
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil View Post
Please all feel free to give your feelings regarding this. I think it will be a masterful game and worthwhile. I do understand the phantom's problems with schedule and will try to accomodate but do not wish to step on anybody's toes.
It is hard for us to voice our opinions as we don't know what Phantom has in mind. Personally, I am going to decide, when a game is up, whether it looks attractive enough for me to join it. From my POV I'd say it's really on the Mods how they negotiate. I'll be willing to join something interesting, a roleplaying (or in-role or how you call that) game as well, since I only moderated one and would like to experience it from the "inside". And as I said, I don't know exactly what TP plans, so I can't say (and neither of us can, probably).
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote