The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-05-2004, 03:56 PM   #5
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril Actors...

Actually, even though I still see the characters as the characters, I've developed an attachment to the actors that played the characters I felt strong emotions for. I saw the Pierce Brosnan Goldeneye last night for the first time - not a big fan of Brosnan's Bond - and Sean Bean plays the villain. I almost cried when he died because, since I always loved and pitied Boromir, I developed similar emotions for Mr. Bean. The same is true for Billy Boyd and Dominic Monaghan. While I don't see any of them as the images I have in my mind, there's a certain attachment to them. Meanwhile, I really respected the character of Legolas in the books. However, I was so underwhelmed with his portrayal in the movies, that I've already developed a bias against Orlando Bloom. He could suddenly blossom into a brilliant actor overnight, and I would still resent him for what he did to a character I liked. Now I did not exactly like that Merry and Pippin were turned into so much comic relief, but the depictions that Monaghan and Boyd gave were believable in spite of some of the actions written into the script. Meanwhile, I thought that Brad Dourif's interpretation of Grima Wormtongue to be a pretty true interpretation, so I now love him as an actor...with the help of his role as Doc Cochran in my favorite show Deadwood. I guess that when the actors portrayed the characters decently - regardless of what the script said - they endeared themselves to me. If they still did not "pull off" the characters, there was a resentment. Do you guys find yourself doing that?