The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-11-2003, 07:39 PM   #1
isatri

Sting Denethor

do you think they will show denethor go crazy and try to kill himself and faromir in the rotk movie
Old 10-11-2003, 07:46 PM   #2
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Since the Denethor-Faramir scenes are an integral part of the story, I don't think Peter Jackson would leave them out. That would honestly be really stretching it.<P><BR>By the way, <I>isatri</I>, next time you create a topic, use the search function at the top of the page to find out whether ones on the same topic already exist. I'm sure that there are quite a few Denethor threads or movie speculation threads open, so next time, check. It creates less clutter when you do that.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 07:47 PM   #3
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well yeah! Why not! Denethor is so flaked out from palantir viewing, there's not much else for him to do! Seriously, I get slightly annoyed the way Denethor's far reaching "knowledge" and "vision" get mentioned practically every time his name comes up! Denethor's motto..."I knew that!" Anyway...that's a dramatic moment that will play well! It better be in there!
Old 10-12-2003, 02:04 AM   #4
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>do you think they will show denethor go crazy and try to kill himself and faromir in the rotk movie <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Ask Meela.

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 07:03 AM   #5
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

There are quite a few threads which speculate on the upcoming RotK movie, so it's a good idea to use the search function (top right of page), enter Denethor and enjoy what comes up. However, since none of those are specifically about Denethor, this thread can continue. Please do give reasons for your answers or suggest ways you'd like to see it done.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 08:47 AM   #6
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes, ask Meela <P>Meela happens to know that it will be shown. Well, she read an article where this guy was on set watching John Noble and David Wenham filming, and according to him or John Noble, everything happens, like Faramir almost getting toasted, etc. <P>Plus, why on earth would it not happen? They can't really have Denethor live and show him smiling happily at Faramir's wedding...<P>Can't find the article right now...
Old 10-14-2003, 10:27 AM   #7
Beanamir of Gondor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beanamir of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> "So be it!" cried Denethor. "But not with your death only, Lord Faramir: with the death of also your father, and of all your people, whom it is your part to protect now that Boromir is gone."<BR>"Do you wish then," said Faramir, "that our places had been exchanged?"<BR>"Yes, I wish that indeed," said Denethor. "For Boromir was loyal to me and no wizard's pupil." <BR>Chapter 4, Part I, ROTK <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I love Boromir (obviously) but that was totally uncalled for. Poor Faramir. They'd better put in that part with Denethor killing himself, cause I like that he died suffering. MWA HA HA HA HA!

"I only lent you my body; you lent me your dream."
Beanamir of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 11:09 AM   #8
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've posted on this very query a year or so ago on another forum.<P>I predicted that they would NOT show the pyre scene. My main reasoning was how jackson could get this past the censors and still have a PG12 (english rating) movie?<P>Evidence of this not happening might come from the fact that we see Pippin on shadowfax with gandalf as the witch king approaches MT on his winged beast? as we know, the main plot is that pippin stops gandalf at this very moment and calls him back to the citadel. how could he know what's happening if he's with gandalf?<P>I hope I am wrong, and that you lot out there have a plausible reason for this. Or does this mean ANOTHER plot change from the book?
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 02:13 PM   #9
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I was convinced that was the Witch King as well, but now that I've seen that pic of him (in another thread) it is clear that Gandalf and Pippin are facing another Nazgul.<P>I would guess that the confrontation at the gates as already occured and Pippin and Gandalf are on their way to save Faramir when a second Nazgul blocks their way. Way to tighten the screws, PJ. <P>Personally, I can't imagine how the scene won't be there. I can't see how else to resolve the Denethor character. People have been burned to death in PG-13 movies before, I doubt it will be an issue.<P>H.C.
Old 10-14-2003, 02:41 PM   #10
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

I don't think ratings will be an issue either because all PJ has to show is Denethor jumping into the fire and just have the flames jump up around him to make his death implied. It doesn't have to be graphic with burning flesh and screaming to get the point across.<p>[ October 14, 2003: Message edited by: Silmiel of Imladris ]

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 02:54 PM   #11
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I don't think there's any chance of PJ leaving <B>that</B> out. Changing a character's one thing, but that would be quite another.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 10:56 AM   #12
Aethelwine
Wight

Location: In Anórien, just outside Edoras, on a horse I "borrowed"...
Aethelwine has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree with all of you. How could PJ leave that scene out? I mean, if he didn't leave it in, then how are they going to get Denethor of the throne? There's evidence (pieces of the movie) of him saying that he will not bow to a ranger of the north (way to go, Denethor! ). And then, IF they don't let him die, after the war of the ring, he just stands down? "Sure Aragorn, all of the sudden, without a reason, I like you so much that I let you take you rightful place."? Sure.<P>And, by the way, PJ wouldn't dare take that scene out. Think of Meela! I'm sure PJ's way to terrified to change <I>anything</I> about Denethor because of our beloved Denethor-obsessie...<BR>BTW, Meela, have you found the article yet?<P>Navaer! <P>Aethelwine.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:06 AM   #13
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

Haven't found the article every time I really want to find something, I never can.<P>*runs after PJ armed with a pitchfork*<P>He won't change anything...
Old 10-15-2003, 12:41 PM   #14
Lily Bracegirdle
Wight

Lily Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

In Quickbeam's "Out on a Limb" section of the Greenbooks at theOneRing.net, he talks about visiting the shoot in NZ. He doesn't watch the shooting of Denethor's death, but sees the aftermath, charred floor and all. The "Ian" referred to in this passage is Ian McKellan, Quickbeam's tour guide, lucky Ent!<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Down another hall I found myself in the Silent Street.... the Rath Dínen.... and within was a larger tomb where lay the Stewards of Minas Tirith. Fittingly, the space was quiet and grey. Only the work lights glowed softly overhead. <P>With a glint in his eye, Ian said, "This is the leftover set where we filmed the Pyre of Denethor last week. I came crashing down that ramp on Shadowfax. Quite a dramatic entrance!" <P>I admired the plywood walls, convincingly painted like ancient marble. Along the perimeter loomed a dozen bas relief figures "carved" into the wall. Nearly two meters tall, these specter-like forms were draped with robes covering all the features of the face. Each figure held a down-pointed sword. VERY chilling indeed! <P>Lo and behold! Each tomb had a name and date below its mysterious Grim Reaper figure. I walked around the room, reading each one. They were accurate! These weren’t just made up names like Underdog or Henry Kissinger. I recognized them from Appendix A: ‘Annals of the Kings and Rulers.’ <P>Mardil 2080 – Belecthor I 2655 – Ecthelion I 2698<P>Brilliant! How totally brilliant to apply this much effort to something that will hardly register on the screen. When you sit in the theatre watching The Return of the King you probably won’t even notice them. So why put them there? <P>Think about it: somebody at WETA spent a lot of time going through the Appendices and assigning very clever artisans to create gorgeous, creepy sculptures – with accurate nameplates. The object was for the actors to be surrounded by "history" and, for obvious reasons, to help center their performances. Fidelity of this grade is significant, I feel, and I would see plenty more of it during the rest of my visit. <P>The room took on a new aura. I had a sense of true place. A raised platform stood center where the pyre had burned. It was charred and black. Although the props, fuel, and actors were gone the horror still weighed oppressively in the air. Denethor’s raging madness. The bloodshed. The screaming. <P>I had to get out.<BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>If you want to read the rest of the story go here:<BR><A HREF="http://greenbooks.theonering.net/quickbeam/files/nz_part1.html" TARGET=_blank>Where the Stars are Strange</A><P>-Lily
Old 10-15-2003, 01:16 PM   #15
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Sting

I don't see how they could <I>not</I> include that scene. The rating won't be a problem. I've seen a PG movie where someone was burned to death, you just don't see everything. Thay should definately be in there. I'm glad to know they filmed it!! At least Meela can relax a little.<BR>Arwen
Old 10-16-2003, 08:33 AM   #16
Arveleg
Pile O'Bones

Arveleg has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Oh the scene will be included.<BR>I just found <A HREF="http://www.theonering.net/staticnews/1066104923.html" TARGET=_blank>this review of a 20 minute screening</A> on TORN. They probably had a non-disclosure clause so dont talk too much about stuff, but it does offer some insights.<p>[ October 16, 2003: Message edited by: Arveleg ]
Arveleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 06:47 PM   #17
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> People have been burned to death in PG-13 movies before, I doubt it will be an issue.<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yay! Now i dont mean ot sound morbid, but how much wouuld that up the emotional tempo of the movie!! Man im so excited about having my emotions torn about the place Ill have to invest in the Kleenex company.

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 08:50 PM   #18
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting

Yes, I was interested in that 20 minute preview or whatever, but a few problems prevented me. First, I was in no mood to be attacked with language that would make an orc blush. Second, my computer doesn't handle video well...at ALL. Can you guys talk about it? Maybe one of you who has seen it can post a new post about it. I'm sure photos from it will be turning up on the net sooner or later.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 09:04 AM   #19
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

What? You can see the footage? I thought it was just an article explaining the footage. If you do get photos, send them over to me at once!
Old 10-24-2003, 03:00 PM   #20
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

I think <A HREF="http://www.theonering.net/scrapbook/group/1056/view/9175" TARGET=_blank>this</A> ends the debate.
Old 10-24-2003, 07:52 PM   #21
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I think this ends the debate. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Nah, that's just Denethor being prudent and stocking up the wood supplies for a long seige. You see, he even got Faramir to lie on top of the stack to protect it.
Old 12-16-2003, 05:24 PM   #22
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Ah, mirth! Great call Saucepan, LOL! That <I>is</I> quite a bit of wood. Look at all those faggots!! Sorry, but you have to admit that's a word you don't often get to use as its original meaning.<P> <P>Is this grubby customer really supposed to be the Steward of Gondor, Lord of the White City and Commander of the armies of Minas Tirith?! I say burn him now, and next time don't forget to consult Alan Lee before releasing a character from the makeup hut.
Old 12-16-2003, 05:40 PM   #23
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

He looks liked a poorly aged rock star...sort of. Keith Richards meets Ozzy = movie Denethor
Old 12-16-2003, 09:32 PM   #24
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

Please don't let Meela catch you saying that... or you might wish you were wearing asbestos pants.
Old 12-17-2003, 09:34 AM   #25
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

*strikes a match*
Old 12-17-2003, 09:55 PM   #26
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Oops!