Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-31-2006, 01:08 PM   #441
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thanks to a tip-off from JennyHalu, I have more Greek Fire information.

It can be put out with sand, earth etc.

I suggest that we use this to make burning Gondorian ships flee further down the coast to land, grap sand and extinguish the conflagration. This will once again facilitate the escape of the Corsairs...for now.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:13 PM   #442
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Ah, so it's something like a fire in the kitchen with your cooking or olive oil. . .excellent. I half suspected as much.

-- Folwren
Old 02-01-2006, 09:32 AM   #443
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Question

The Greek Fire certainly can't be called Greek fire, so shouldn't we invent a proper ME name for it? Any ideas?
Old 02-01-2006, 09:36 AM   #444
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

I was going to bring that up, yes. Good catch Thinlomien. I think perhaps "wildfire", which is what the Greeks called it-"Wildfire of Umbar" if you want the Middle-Earth connection. I think it has a certain ring to it.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:43 AM   #445
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I quite like that, Ang.

Another suggestion came by PM from this helpful newcomer, JennyHallu:
Quote:
Since Greek Fire was likely petroleum based, perhaps your name for Greek fire should be Haradrim Fire or something like, since the geograpy and geology of Middle-Earth place that country as the most likely source of oil.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:27 AM   #446
Dunwen
Wight

Dunwen has just left Hobbiton.
Checking in

Hello, I am checking in. I'll be catching up on my PMs as soon as I've sent this and checked the main story thread.

QUOTE]However, I think it [Greek fire] would be a really nifty addition. It would stop the Gondorians from crushing us at once by superior numbers, and it could initiate some boarding action with Gondorians desperately swashbuckling across in order to silence the siphoners.[/QUOTE]

Greek fire (or Wildfire of Umbar or Southern Fire or whatever it ends up being) sounds quite exciting. As far as making the story interesting, maybe a non-role-playing Gondorian ship could catch fire and then sacrifice itself by sailing into the Corsair fleet. The Fame and Fortune and other Corsair ships could get away in the ensuing confusion/smoke/flames etc? Just a thought.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:16 AM   #447
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunwen
Greek fire (or Wildfire of Umbar or Southern Fire or whatever it ends up being) sounds quite exciting. As far as making the story interesting, maybe a non-role-playing Gondorian ship could catch fire and then sacrifice itself by sailing into the Corsair fleet. The Fame and Fortune and other Corsair ships could get away in the ensuing confusion/smoke/flames etc? Just a thought.
i second. nice idea, if the word can be used for such a nasty event.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:26 AM   #448
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunwen

That's a very good idea, actually. I say we keep it until the main battle, where there is more of an Umbarian fleet.

-- Folwren
Old 02-03-2006, 03:43 PM   #449
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
The Eye

That is indeed an excellent idea - but as for leaving it until the final battle, I'm not sure. If there was more of an Umbarian fleet, there would be enough of them to cut off any escaping ships, thus rendering the point of it being as an escape somewhat useless. Unless that could be the final straw, showing the somewhat hopeless situation that the corsairs would then be in...

However. We could always bring back the Gree- sorry, the 'Wildfire of Umbar' (nice one, Anguirel ) for the last battle and have lots more deliciously pyro battleness with it. But for now, I like that idea for this battle - it allows swashbuckling, a chance for slave freeing (a few of them, anyway - and I really like the Ferethor-Curamir idea) and then a suitably, well, not too unrealistic escape.

What say ye all? Shall we stick by that plan? I don't want to make a post until we sort out what we're doing, for fear of toe-treading...
Old 02-03-2006, 03:53 PM   #450
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

I'm all for it.

To give Sangalazin something to do, perhaps I'll have him throw a wild party below deck during battle...
Old 02-03-2006, 11:09 PM   #451
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
The plans seem great to me, except for the Greek fire. I think it should be kept till the main battle, else all of our battles from now on would use it, as it wouldn't be very logical for the Corsairs to use this weapon once and not use it again untill Umbar. But using it in each battle (as a ship with such a weapon probably would do) is too often; once each fight began, it would turn into a retreat from the Wildfire of Umbar.

Is there another way the ships could come close enough to exchange some blows without the fire?
Old 02-04-2006, 06:15 AM   #452
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Perhaps the Greek Fire could be a valuable sort of stuff; they don't like to use it except when they need to. So they wouldn't use it at first, but when they realized it was a losing battle they would use it to escape?
Old 02-04-2006, 06:39 AM   #453
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

I like that, yes. And perhaps only the Fame and Fortune is equipped with it if you want to limit it still further.

Obviously stores of the stuff will be more plentiful if and when the fleet gets back to Umbar.

Now, what are we up to? I think we should start writing again before we get rusty.

-Rakin's reaction
-Gondorians-attack proper starts
-Slaves-scheme
-Sangalazin-party
-Everyone else-to battle!
Old 02-04-2006, 10:20 PM   #454
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Firefoot, excellent idea about the Greek fire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ang
-Sangalazin-party
Ha ha!

And here's another matter to settle: if and when the Raca captures a slave, should he be an NPC slave, or an actual player's character?
Old 02-07-2006, 08:59 AM   #455
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I have little preference on whether we keep the Wildfire of Umbar for later or use it now. It may be a good idea to wait on it for the bigger battle, but if you Corsairs really have your hearts set on it for this battle, I won't complain, though Alcarillo may.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel
Now, what are we up to? I think we should start writing again before we get rusty.

-Rakin's reaction
-Gondorians-attack proper starts
-Slaves-scheme
-Sangalazin-party
-Everyone else-to battle!
I'm all for it. Let's start this battle. At least start writing for it. We need a post for Rakin, at least. As for the Slaves and what's going to be happening with them, that can be planned as we go, but we should still start this battle.

-- Folwren
Old 02-08-2006, 06:46 PM   #456
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Please remember:

Remove your signature from EVERY post to the game thread - including SAVES.

Do not use the icons or smilies in any post to the game thread.

Thanks!

~*~ Pio
Old 02-14-2006, 11:24 AM   #457
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Those noble saves and promises of posting, but what has heppened? I'm sorry to be hasty, but I wish this RPG could continue.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:58 AM   #458
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thinlómien, Aman's post is up.

I'll be posting very soon getting the slaves up to date, aware that a battle is about to begin.

If Dancing spawn or Eorl of Rohan are still out there...are Ferethor and Jagar still going with their crazy plan? And Arry, is Bahir helping in any way, or is he just doing his own thing?

And...we don't want any slave scheme to be successful, or at least not completely successful, at this point, do we? We want to wait until the 'bigger battle' or would it be more interesting if at least a few of the slaves had already escaped to be with the Gondorians at the 'bigger battle?' If Chakka got free, I think he would certainly stay and fight...
Old 02-15-2006, 03:13 PM   #459
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arry has just left Hobbiton.
Bahir will most likely not want to help the Gondorians in any way. He is a completely selfish little . . . well, whelp, say.

His intention is to get back to Umbar and pursue a life of privilege and pleasure if he can.

So, beware - he may rat you out if he thinks you're going to interfere with his designs.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:03 PM   #460
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin
If Dancing spawn or Eorl of Rohan are still out there...are Ferethor and Jagar still going with their crazy plan?
Spawn has been online today (I've seen her), but Eorl has been in the 'downs last time in 11-19-2005. Doesn't sound very promising.

EDIT: One corsair ship is really named the Curamir?!?!! That's the name of Kath's character! I don't understand. Is this intentional???

Last edited by Thinlómien; 02-16-2006 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:35 PM   #461
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

The Eye

That was entirely unintentional, I must have been half-asleep - 'scuse me while I shuffle away and alter that...
Old 02-16-2006, 06:03 PM   #462
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Nice to know I can affect people from afar!
Old 02-17-2006, 01:01 AM   #463
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

That was actually only fun, Aman, nothing worse. Great that you filled the save.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:21 AM   #464
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin
If Dancing spawn or Eorl of Rohan are still out there...are Ferethor and Jagar still going with their crazy plan? And Arry, is Bahir helping in any way, or is he just doing his own thing?

And...we don't want any slave scheme to be successful, or at least not completely successful, at this point, do we? We want to wait until the 'bigger battle' or would it be more interesting if at least a few of the slaves had already escaped to be with the Gondorians at the 'bigger battle?' If Chakka got free, I think he would certainly stay and fight...
Yes, I'm here (thanks, Lommy), I was just a bit caught up with RL things.

We actually didn't discuss the plan much before Eorl disappeared, but you're right that it's not time for the slaves to make their move yet. Depending on how the battles will go, the stolen liquor may serve some other purpose, too, than Jagar and Ferethor had first planned (perhaps disinfect wounds?).
Old 02-20-2006, 03:06 AM   #465
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Nice to see you around here too, Spawn.

This is quite sad, but I think we need someone to replace Eorl, if she doesn't reappear soon. Do you agree?
Old 02-21-2006, 04:36 PM   #466
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

The Eye

We already discussed that really, and said if anyone had someone in mind then to go ahead and PM them - I asked Arry and Durelin (and Envinyatar, although he declined to join on the basis of not having enough time) if they wanted to take his character on when I PMed them about joining the game. If anyone has someone else in mind...? As it is taking on rather than simply forming a new character, I reckon it should be a gamer rather than a total newbie - although, hey, if there isn't any interest, then by all means open it up to new gamers as well: after all, very little plot progress was really made with Ferethor, so a new gamer taking him on could remould him.

Has anyone got someone in mind to take him on who they'd like to PM, or should we open it up to newbies (/place an 'advert' in the Inns?)
Old 02-21-2006, 06:15 PM   #467
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
We actually didn't discuss the plan much before Eorl disappeared, but you're right that it's not time for the slaves to make their move yet. Depending on how the battles will go, the stolen liquor may serve some other purpose, too, than Jagar and Ferethor had first planned (perhaps disinfect wounds?).
Ah, yes... Perhaps Chakka could find another more important and pressing use for the liquor, ignoring any protests? I'd say he's fairly self-assertive like that. Unless you'd rather Jagar make such a choice, deciding against he and Ferethor's brash plans?

I'm very sorry I haven't gotten a post up yet. I have just one more test to deal with tomorrow that requires any of my time, and then I will be free to make several much needed posts and such...

I suppose Ferethor can be carried along until someone claims him. Maybe I'll play around with him until we find someone, if that's alright with everyone? More confrontation between he and Chakka might be fun...

EDIT: In order to avoid a shameful double post, I'm going to just say here that I posted, and that anyone/everyone should let me know if they have any problem with it.

I think Ferethor doing something stupid might be in order, but I don't want to just kill off a character that isn't mine, even if its owner hasn't been around in quite a long time. I think using the alcohol in treating a wound. I'm guessing there will be a number of opportunities for people to get hurt. Do we want a small hole near the bottom of the ship, maybe? Some kind of projectile or something of that sort that could do some damage on the slave deck? As long as that's alright with everyone, I suppose I'll come up with something...

Last edited by Durelin; 02-25-2006 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:54 AM   #468
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Excellent!! Looks like we're onto some sort of role.

Alright, Gondorians. . .to your ships - man the ropes!

I'll get a post up later today, if all goes as well as I am expecting. I am guessing that it's alright now to bring the ships a little closer and hinting on the beginning of the fight? If I'm wrong tell me. You Corsairs were going to come up into the Gondorians a bit, yes?

Those on the Fame and Fortune: where is your ship going to be - which with Gondorian ship are you going to do most of your fighting? The Cuivie, or Raca?

-- Folwren
Old 02-28-2006, 11:35 AM   #469
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arry has just left Hobbiton.
Aman -- Anguirel

A short post pretty please . . . just so we can know what the F & F is doing and get in a few shots or something . . .
Old 02-28-2006, 12:02 PM   #470
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Can I please have a Corsair to board and take? Please, please? The none character ship? Perhaps the one with the hasty sailor who wants to board my ship and annoys Captain Rakin?

-- Folwren
Old 02-28-2006, 12:17 PM   #471
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

I don't really have any authority on this, but yes. One of our ships is going to go too far ahead and get taken by you-wasn't that the plan?

I'll try and get up the adventures of the dissatisfied Captain Andlang soon.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:24 PM   #472
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I thought it was, but I wasn't sure if I got to do it.

-- Folwrey
Old 02-28-2006, 12:49 PM   #473
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

The Eye

Absolutely, go ahead, on the one condition that they go out in a suitably dramatic fashion

-Amana
Old 02-28-2006, 01:13 PM   #474
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Oh, sure, sure. Firefoot and I will do our utmost to give these Corsairs a proper goodbye.

-- Folwren
Old 02-28-2006, 04:17 PM   #475
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Okay, I've posted my post and I hope that it's alright with everyone. I let the Fame and Fortune pass the Cuivie, and my dear Captain Hereric wishes her no luck at all. Now, she is the only ship with the Wildfire, right?

If anyone objects with anything I wrote, tell me. . .and I'll do my best to fix it for you

Firefoot, you continue on from there, if you like, and go as long as you want. I might post a mid-battle post sometime.

-- Folwren

P.S. Good news - it looks like we might be getting internet tonight at home, and if that's the case, I'll have internet every day, though Fridays-Mondays I won't have has much time as I do on the days I'm at work. Cheers to Pop!
Old 02-28-2006, 05:08 PM   #476
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

I'll try to have a post up reasonably soon, but I will warn you that these next two weeks or so are extremely busy for me. But I'll post when I can.
Old 03-18-2006, 02:23 PM   #477
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Let's get this going again, people.

Aman, feel free to use Andlang and his fighters if you need them in the fight. You've now got the Sword of Castamir!

My involvement will largely be confined to Sangalazin debauchery and occasional Andlang combat posts.
Old 03-18-2006, 07:23 PM   #478
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Sorry I took so very long, especially considering I said I'd try to post more than two weeks ago. Menelcar's a difficult character for me to write, and just for that I put him in a position he's not going to like at all. I think he's going to need some help.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:01 PM   #479
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

SWEET! I'm going to go read what sort of fix you've gotten him into. Mwahahaha!

-- Folwren
Old 03-20-2006, 12:00 AM   #480
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Okay, I've filled in my save and the Raca and the Fame and Fortune are now alongside each other. Sailors and soldiers should be leaping from one ship to the other. Let the chaotic battle posts ensue! As Folwren put it:
Quote:
Mwahahaha!