The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2016, 11:41 AM   #1
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots Laughter in Middle-Earth: Humour in and around the Works of JRR Tolkien

This is the title of a new book from Walking Tree Publishers, co-edited by nonother than yours truly, which Downers might enjoy reading. It has some funny bits of its own, but largely consists of scholarly papers devoted to various aspects of humour in Tolkien, in the parodies he has inspired, in illustrations, and amongst the Inklings. It also includes illustrations by well known Tolkien illustrators. In particular, Ted Nasmith, Anke Eissmann, Graeme Skinner, and Tim Kirk have inked some original illustrations for this book.

Abstracts of the papers can be found here: Laughter in Middle-Earth; Walking Tree Publishers. If you are so inclined as to buy the book, it can be ordered on the WTP website or via Amazon in all it's various international versions.

There is also a group on Facebook devoted to discussing Laughter, where the contributors are available to answer questions and share in the conversation. (To the best of my knowledge, I am the only Downer who contributed to the book.) Facebook group Laughter in Middle-earth

Join us on FB or discuss the book here if you wish!

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot to add that the foreword is written by Tom Shippey.

Last edited by Bęthberry; 11-29-2016 at 01:01 PM.
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:19 PM   #2
Zigűr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigűr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigűr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry View Post
(To the best of my knowledge, I am the only Downer who contributed to the book.)
I may be the author of the second paper (the one starting on page 39 that is)...
Old 11-29-2016, 07:56 PM   #3
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigűr View Post
I may be the author of the second paper (the one starting on page 39 that is)...
Ah ha! And when I asked on FB you coyly refused to answer. But I have drawn you out here.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:20 PM   #4
Zigűr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigűr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigűr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry View Post
Ah ha! And when I asked on FB you coyly refused to answer. But I have drawn you out here.
Purely an accident due to the mysterious workings of social media, as I've now discovered.

In any event, I'm eagerly awaiting my copy of the text and I hope it's of interest to others too.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:26 AM   #5
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Thumbs up Congratulations!

Thanks for letting us know about this publication, Bęthberry, and congratulations in advance to you and Zigűr for your involvement!

As I haven't a copy, I'll refrain for the time being from commenting on its contents.
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote