The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-21-2003, 11:51 AM   #1
Tarien Ithil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tarien Ithil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting What DID she mean?? :)

I’ve found a line in FOTR that strikes me as rather strange…<P>It’s when Galadriel says:<P>“Welcome, Frodo of the Shire! One who has seen the Eye!”<P>OK…….So does she mean that Frodo has seen her eye (please excuse my ignorance and forgive and forget ) or if she meant Sauron’s eye, well, that’s just plain weird cause Frodo never actually saw Sauron’s eye. <BR>OK, this is a little vague, but you do get the picture. <P><BR>Tarien Ithil

Crickhollow
Tarien Ithil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 11:53 AM   #2
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

But in the movie, he <I>did</I> see the Eye. Remember, when he put on the Ring in the Prancing Pony? <P>~Menelien
Old 05-21-2003, 01:06 PM   #3
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

For another thing to add...she says "<I>the</I> eye". This refers to Sauron's eye...the Eye of Sauron. Everyone refered to it as "the eye". It's just as simple as that.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 01:15 PM   #4
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yeh, the Eye of Sauron. I wouldn't credit her so much as to say that she has a famous eye. But it would be handy if Celeborn was sneaking off. You'd hear this great yell across Lorien and a giant Galadriel eye would float above the tree tops. And I would pity Celeborn.
Old 05-23-2003, 11:27 AM   #5
Tarien Ithil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

LOL, Meela. <P>OK, sorry. Forgot about the Prancing Pony but don't you find it rather strange that Galadriel actually <I>knew</I> that Frodo had seen the Eye of Sauron?

Crickhollow
Old 05-23-2003, 11:40 AM   #6
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It's that bloody mirror. No one's safe. It's big brother (or sister). <P>Actually, she knew of the quest and it seems likely the source of that knowledge would be Elrond. As well, it would also seem likely that Frodo would have disclosed the details of his journey at Rivendell. Putting it all together, it's not too strange that Galadriel would know about this.<P>H.C.
Old 05-24-2003, 03:03 AM   #7
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> It's that bloody mirror. No one's safe. It's big brother <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Hence the high rate of psycologists in Lorien, a place where it pays more than a lawyer...

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 09:20 AM   #8
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

No, remember? Galadriel is telepathic in the movies, for some reason. Which is a subject that hasn't been hated enough. Someone should start a thread called "Elves Aren't Telepathic!"
Old 05-24-2003, 01:41 PM   #9
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Yavanna228 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Galadriel is telepathic in the movies, for some reason. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Maybe the telepathy was to play up the elves' power, shrewdness, and wisdom. <BR>Anyway, back on topic: Yes, 'the eye' was definitely Sauron's eye.<BR>Peace
Old 05-24-2003, 07:25 PM   #10
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Shield

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Someone should start a thread called "Elves Aren't Telepathic!" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>But didn't JRRT develop some kind of Elvish mental communication, called Osanwe Kenta or something similar?
Old 05-24-2003, 10:24 PM   #11
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Elves are telepathic... Meaning that they can communicate without speech.

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 05:31 AM   #12
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

Wait...that means we're telepathic, too. I'm not speaking to you, but we're communicating....<P>And I've not actually heard of "Osanwe Kenta", but if it's an Elvish telepathy system, would they be able to "speak" to other races (like Frodo and Boromir)?
Old 05-25-2003, 06:02 AM   #13
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

With Elves mind-to-mind communication, didn't it only apply to Elves? I think that was PJs blunder, not the fact that it existed. As for the Eye, that was all a bit strange. Presumably if you've seen the Eye you're marked in some way for others who have seen it. Or, what the heck, maybe Galadriel is just some sort of all-powerful being. Maybe she is the brains behind Sauron? Wouldn't that be a Hollywood twist!
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Lyra Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 06:15 AM   #14
Feared Half-Elf
Wight

Feared Half-Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I bet it's that ring that Galadriel has, Nenya. It makes her mirror work, so she can probably use it for telepathy.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Feared Half-Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 07:51 AM   #15
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I think that was PJs blunder, not the fact that it existed. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>That would imply it was done by mistake when obviously it wasn't. In the movie she is obviously telepathic, get over it. The movie is not the book, I would have figured people would have figured that out by now.<P>Editted to add: I should apologize for the tone of my post (though not the content). I get frustrated with these endless arguments that basically equate to - if it's different from the book than it is a mistake. We all know there are changes from the book to the film and the majority of us seem to realize that some changes were necessary. If you want to argue that a certain change is a mistake, power to you but I think you should give mover reasons than just pointing out the fact that it is a change.<P>Personally, I like the scene when the Fellowship is entering Lothlorien and Galadriel is talking to Frodo. There is a great evil coming into the forest and Galadriel has every reason to be disturbed by it, not the least reason being that she herself is tempted by it. It's creepy and, in my opinion, effectly communicates the unease felt by all parties at that particular moment.<P>H.C.<p>[ May 25, 2003: Message edited by: HCIsland ]
Old 05-26-2003, 04:51 PM   #16
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Actually, a valid argument can be made about Elves being telepathic. If you re-read the last chapter or two of Return of the King, when Galadriel, Elrond, Gandalf, and the others are traveling to Imladris from Gondor, on the way, Galadriel, Celeborn, Elrond and Gandalf speak to each other with their minds. The text specifically says that they seemed like grey statues by the roadside, speaking to each other mind-to-mind. So, it is possible, and since Frodo is the Bearer of the One Ring, and Galadriel is the Bearer of Nenya, they could probably speak mind-to-mind. After all, doesn't the One Ring give the Bearer dominion over the others according to his/her measure? Since Frodo is nowhere in the league of Sauron, the power that he received was the ability to converse with the other Ringbearers mind-to-mind.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 03:26 AM   #17
Neniel Sildurien

Silmaril

OK, let's get things straight.<P>First, Galadriel <B>can</B> communicate with others "telepathically". And I don't just mean Frodo. If I'm not mistaken, in the book it says that Frodo could hear her voice inside his head while she was talking to the others. And later on, Sam told Frodo that Galadriel had been doing the same thing to him too(forgive my english)!<P>Let me give you an advice. In order to understand why Galadriel and the other Elves can communicate like that, try to stop thinking of the movie as a science-fiction one(that goes for the books too!). This is a mysterious world, and the creatures that live in it do not obey to the same rules of Physics as we know it today. It didn't matter whether you were Elf or Human or Dwarf. As long as your spirit, your will was strong enough, you were given the opportunity to "touch" things that lied beyond common perception. Don't forget that, according to the book, Aragorn warned Gandalf not to enter the mines of Moria, for in his heart he felt something wrong was going to happen, especially to Gandalf. And it did! And besides, when Frodo first heard the elven songs in Imladris (Rivendell), he could feel their meaning inside of him although he didn't understand their words.<P>The bottom-line is that any creature of Middle-Earth that was wise, enlightened or powerful enough, could present some kind of "powers". Then, their individuality would give these "powers" a more distinctive form, whether it was the ability to see things with one's magic mirror, the ability to speak to one's heart and mind without actually talking, or the ability to forge a powerful ring that can destroy the world, since we're at it. Most of the elves had such powers because they could live to see many centuries go by (not to mention Elrond, Galadriel and Cirdan). Most of the Kings of Gondor did too, especially Aragorn. And Frodo surely earned that right in his own time, for having carried the Ring. <P>That is how I like to imagine Middle-Earth and I hope there are some that agree with me.
Old 05-27-2003, 11:41 AM   #18
Tarien Ithil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Gee, thanks for your insight, Neniel! <P>You really put effort into that little summary! Thanks for your contribution! <P>Tarien Ithil

Crickhollow
Old 05-27-2003, 08:27 PM   #19
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Yes, Elves in general and Galadriel in particular were definitely telepathic.<P><BR>For detailed views on telepathy in Middle-earth, you can look at an essay Tolkien wrote that is published only in Vinyar Tengwar, a publication of the Elvish Linguistic group within the Mythopoeic Society. It is the July 1998 issue and can be ordered online for just $2.<P>If you search osanwe kenta in the Books forum, you'll pull up several threads that even contain links to the website.<P>According to Tolkien, all sentient beings--including Men and Hobbits--are capable of osanwe, but the Ainur and the Elves have mastered the skill to the highest degree. It is likely in the West that osanwe was used to a much greater degree than in Middle-earth itself.<P>sharon