The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-26-2002, 04:43 AM   #1
Vinyaampawen
Animated Skeleton

Vinyaampawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Vinyaampawen
Sting PLAYING BY THE RULES

I just noticed that there were a couple of people who were complaining that they believe they have been treated unfairly on this site. I hate to add to your distress but unfortunately when you go on to someone else's website you have to play by their rules or your can be eliminated from participation. There are many other websites that discuss Tolkein on the internet and one or many of them may be more to your liking.

In my experience there are so many options in life that if something you are doing with someone is no longer enjoyable, move on and find another playmate. There are many to choose from. You just have not found your "match" yet.

Sorry to see you go and best of luck whereever you journey to. Just think of the journey as an adventure with many wonderful things to come! Take care! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 05-27-2002, 10:21 AM   #2
Vinyaampawen
Animated Skeleton

In my last post I forgot to add the following: No one ever said life is or has to be "fair". It is just life. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 05-27-2002, 11:19 AM   #3
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

Yes, I would like to thank the moderators for taking tight control over situations (or people who cause situations). They may not feel they were fairly treated, but it has made the experience more enjoyable (for me at least) to know that the annoying ones will not last here.
Old 05-27-2002, 12:20 PM   #4
Vinyaampawen
Animated Skeleton

It is very seldom that someone truly annoys me. I believe in the First Amendment Free Speech provision in the United States Constitution. But as with any right or privilege there are limits. Unfortunately or fortunately (depending on your point of view), if you are participating in someone else's website, you have to abide by their rules or move on.

But the "moving on" should not be thought of as a negative experience. Rather, it can be a very positive experience and exciting journey to other places with opportunities to met new people and make new friends who you enjoy much more than where you were before. Enjoy the journey, stop and smell the roses, and look at the future as one filled with new opportunities and new experiences and never look back. You cannot change the past. However, the future is yours! Just go for it!
Old 05-29-2002, 04:05 PM   #5
Jessica Jade
Wight

Jessica Jade has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jessica Jade
Sting

Umm this thread seems pretty random, but anyway...i would also like to thank the moderators for doing a good job here, especially in the chat room. You have no idea how thankful i am that you are limiting the number the annoying little teenyboppers who drool incessantly over Orlando Bloom. It's necessary to foil their attempts to carry on their immature obsessions in order to have some real, useful intelligent discussions here!

The musicians had indeed laid bare the youngest, most innocent of our ideas of life, the indestructible yearning for the way things aren't and can never be. ~ Philip Roth, The Human Stain
Jessica Jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 04:34 PM   #6
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elven-Maiden has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I was actually of posting something similar. All these crazy teenagers are making my age group sound bad. I joined the Barrow-Downs to have intellectual discussions. I can swoon at school.

Thank you Barrow-Wight, Sharkey.... and others for making this forum good! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Mobilis in Mobile
Elven-Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 04:43 PM   #7
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Sting

I agree. I have been to far to many message boards (most not Tolkien related, but still...) where there is no control, and people get flamed or are just made uncomfortable.
Thank you, moderators!
Quote:
"It's sunlight and bright day, right enough." he said, I thought that Elves were all for moon and stars: but this is more elvish than I ever heard tell of. I feel as if I was inside a song, if you take my meaning. "
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 07:40 PM   #8
Vinyaampawen
Animated Skeleton

Frankly teenagers do not bother me only because they are many times acting appropriately for their age. But in the process of growing up anyone, no matter how old they may be, needs to know there is the word "no" in the English dictionary and what that means in the a given situation. Then, if "no" is not understood, there must be some consequence, some limit the person has been previously advised of.

It's the individuals on any site who have read the rules and been told "no" and continue on that are truly annoying to me no matter how old they are.
Old 05-29-2002, 09:50 PM   #9
Kettle of fish
Wight

Kettle of fish has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Amen.
Old 05-29-2002, 10:32 PM   #10
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Sting

Quite honestly, I have met (here and on diff. sites) teenagers who act more like adults than adults! It's not JUST teens.
Quote:
"Swans!" said Sam. "And mighty big ones, too! "
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 12:50 AM   #11
Vinyaampawen
Animated Skeleton

Samwise, I believe you are in agreement on that point. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]