The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-20-2005, 02:16 PM   #1
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots Fordim or Fordhim? The Horrors of S-p-e-l-l-i-n-g

I'm absolutely befuddled as to why so many people add an 'h' in there. I've had the urge to insert an 'h' as well, but I think I have resisted the temptation thus far... Am I missing something?

Of course, Fordim's is not the only name that gets misspelled rather often. There are a lot of names on her that are almost impossible to spell, so I am often forced to simply copy and paste. And you have to be very careful, particularly with some names, of how you make your typos.

I suppose that's the joy of nicknaming nicknames. I don't think I've actually called Pio Piosenniel in forever...it doesn't even look right when I type it. And the same goes for Aman...Amanaduial the Archer? Who's that?

I often feel like nicknaming a name is being too *friendly* or perhaps *unprofessional* (almost wrote 'prefessional' there). But some people's names are just really hard for me to get right...

For example, here's trying to spell...Esgallhugwen.

Esgalugwn
Esghalugwen
Esghluwen
Esghaluwen
Esghallugwen

I'm sorry but I always have to copy and paste your name. Maybe I should start thinking of gall bladders and hugs when I'm trying to spell it...

Is anyone else plagued by misspellings and the possibility of misspellings?

You know, 'misspell' is harder to spell than I thought...

Note: This may be a retarded thread. This may be an illegal thread. This may be too close to Esty's lovely typo thread. I may get negative reps for this. But...I'm interested. Yes, I'm interested in how bad people spell. Call it a fetish, a self-confidence booster shot, or whatever you'd like. Stone me, shoot me, mutilate me, shish-kabob me...but here it is.

Double Note: This also isn't meant to offend anyone...every human being makes typos and spelling errors, and we all have major dyslexic moments even if we aren't dyslexic.

Triple (Triple, not Tripple!) Note: Slap me if I misspelled anything.

Last edited by Durelin; 07-20-2005 at 03:19 PM. Reason: didn't look as pretty without an icon
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 02:27 PM   #2
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Durelin, you aren't alone... I've always wondered why some people spell Fordim's name with an "h" as well.

I used to have a huge problem spelling Encaitare's name right... I couldn't figure out where the "i" went. It took me forever one time when I was trying to PM her, I finally had to go look it up on the Member's List.

And I always have to think about whether Child's name is spelled "7th" or "Seventh."

I think this is what nicknames do to us... they make us forget how to spell the real name.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 02:38 PM   #3
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I guess 'h' is just one sexy letter.

I have yet to misspell your name, Firefoot. I'll be sure to admit myself to an institute if I ever do so.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:43 PM   #4
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
The Befuddling Question of Gender

Though I do find a few names difficult, something much more puzzling is gender. Durelin, as you know, you were male for a period. So was Saurreg. And Feanor of the Peredhil. And...

Yeah. But spellings I'm mostly fine with. I used to lapse with Enca, calling her Encataire instead of Encaitare, but that's about it. Maybe people need to add that "h" to remember Fordim's gender. Fordhim. See?
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 02:48 PM   #5
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Quote:
Maybe people need to add that "h" to remember Fordim's gender. Fordhim. See?
How ingenious....

I know...so many BDers are cross-dressers...
Old 07-20-2005, 03:03 PM   #6
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the guy who be short
Durelin, as you know, you were male for a period. So was Saurreg.
Actually, Saurreg is male. I'm the one that messed-up on the ww6 game. I thought he was a she, but when I was corrected our first night session as wolves I had to continue being mistaken, otherwise how would I have known?
I thought Mormegil was a girl, the 'gil' part sounds like girl and his former avatar with the monkey in a pink shirt (which I thought was a dress) shooting the gun.

I misspell HerenIstarion (even now I'm not sure). Sometimes I see mine misspelled as well....holybtlass holbytlas
Old 07-20-2005, 03:08 PM   #7
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Even Mr. Barrow Wight himself thought me a female at one point.

I'm still trying to work out TGWBS's gender . I'm not sure if (s)he's using guy in the gender sense or the more general sense.

When I was a wolf with Oromin....I had a hard time spelling her name and needed help on every PM.

Last edited by mormegil; 07-20-2005 at 03:17 PM. Reason: spelling mistake...how ironic.
mormegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 03:09 PM   #8
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Actually, Saurreg is male.
*head explodes*

Mormegil has always been male for me, actually. Swords are always male.

I guess it helps that my name has "guy" in it, and Holby's has "lass." See, we're really the smartest people here...
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 04:40 PM   #9
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Perhaps I should have made this a "Guess my Gender" thread.

Last edited by Durelin; 07-20-2005 at 04:40 PM. Reason: there I go, losing my 'd's again...
Old 07-20-2005, 06:51 PM   #10
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
I often feel like nicknaming a name is being too *friendly* or perhaps *unprofessional* (almost wrote 'prefessional' there). But some people's names are just really hard for me to get right...
Question for everyone: has being nicknamed ever gotten you offended or anything? Or had you feel like people were being too "friendly"? (Assuming, of course, that the nickname is based on your name -- being nicknamed Sugar Lips might be a bit offensive. Then again, I could be wrong. ) But so many Downers (mostly the ladies) have names like Carnemirialessenduilinawen that it's just necessary to shorten them.

And I've never understood why some people stick an "h" in Fordim's name. Maybe it's a super-funky way of incorporating the Hedgethistle bit into it -- Fordh(edgethistle)im.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 06:54 PM   #11
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Im always forgetting, whenever someone mensions Fordim that he has another part of his name. I dont have a very long name but I rather when people call me Wilwa or at least Wilwarin, the numbers get on my nerves. But like I said before I had no choice.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:02 PM   #12
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encaitare
Question for everyone: has being nicknamed ever gotten you offended or anything? Or had you feel like people were being too "friendly"? (Assuming, of course, that the nickname is based on your name -- being nicknamed Sugar Lips might be a bit offensive. Then again, I could be wrong. ) But so many Downers (mostly the ladies) have names like Carnemirialessenduilinawen that it's just necessary to shorten them.
Not me. I get called Morm all the time. I like to think of myself as the Norm from Cheers but with an "M" for my name .

Wilwarin would you mind if I call you simply 538?
Old 07-20-2005, 07:07 PM   #13
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
No thanks. I like pretending the numbers dont excist. You can choose from the following: Wilwarin, Wilwa, Willy(which I really like now because of the new Johnny Depp movie ) or Wil. No 538 thank you very much.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:32 PM   #14
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Fordhim is easy to explain...

"dh"s litter the Elvish language: Caradhras, Galadhrim, Pengolodh, edhc, edhc...

And, it's fun to tease Master Shrubpricklies...