The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-24-2004, 09:22 PM   #1
NZ Ringbearer
Haunting Spirit

NZ Ringbearer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to NZ Ringbearer
Ring The Origin of Hobbits

In the Silmarillion, it has details on the creation of each race. It says that Aule created Dwarves, Yavanna created Ents, Melkor created Balrogs, orcs ect, and so forth. Elves and Men were the children of Iluvatar.

It also says that everything living was in the Undying Lands at one point.

So, to me, this brings the question:

Where did the Hobbits come from/Who created them?

Frodo Lives! Spread the word! Say 'No' to Nazgul!!!
NZ Ringbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 11:10 PM   #2
Alchisiel
Haunting Spirit

Location: At The Golden Perch enjoying the best pint in the East Farthing!
Alchisiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I found the thread that might help you. Look in the newcomers section or try the search function and type origin of hobbits. Hope this helps you.
Old 07-25-2004, 11:34 AM   #3
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
White Tree

If you have trouble finding it, it's here! And BTW, Melkor didn't really create Balrogs. They were originally maia, but Melkor twisted them into a darker form. Orcs on the other hand, were a totally new species, so he did create those.
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 01:36 AM   #4
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Melkor did neither creat the Balrogs nor Orcs. In Tolkien view of the his created world the evil is inpotent, not able to creat anythink. Melkor had a great potency to twist and corrupt any given creation he could get hold on. But he had lost all his creativ power in his rebellion in the Ainulindale.

Respectfully
Findegil

P.S.:The origin of the Orcs was never finaly accounted by Tolkien. His Last view seemed to be a mixed origin: Some leaders were Maiar and their offspring, some were pupetlike unanimated createrues, some were animals enhanced only by malice impented by Morgoth, some were corrupted Men, and there might have been even some Orcs with corrupted Elves as ancestors.
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 02:20 AM   #5
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe

This may sound silly I do however believe there may be some potential in this theory

I Understand Besides Arwen only one elf loved a mortal man however

Dwarves and elves certainly got along once upon a time and as we see with gimli dwarves are prone to loving elf women

and seeing not set source for hobbit perhaps they were a breed born of dwarves and elves they are afterall elf like in appearance and dwarflike in hight...

I understand this is a farfetched Idea I however have always thought this to be the answer
Old 07-26-2004, 02:39 AM   #6
NZ Ringbearer
Haunting Spirit

NZ Ringbearer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to NZ Ringbearer
Ring

Hmmm...is it me or has this thread gone a little off topic? It started off as my question about Hobbit origins, now we're discussing Orcs. Oh, and thanks for the link to the thread, Perky Ent!

What I was meaning before was that Melkor created Balrogs - they may have been Maiar (in fact I think I read somewhere they were) at first, but Melkor turned them into Balrogs - they didn't start out like that and just switch sides...(did they?)

As for Orcs, it is my understanding that they were originally Elves, captured and tourtured beyond anything we know of. So thats my two cents for that question.

And as for Morsul the Dark, that theory, although a little far-fetched, could be quite possible. To me, its a humorus thought!!!!

Iluvatar bless you all

Frodo Lives! Spread the word! Say 'No' to Nazgul!!!
NZ Ringbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 02:48 AM   #7
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe

aye it is partially a joke it is also a decent theory
Old 07-26-2004, 10:53 AM   #8
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Err I remember reading somewhere that Hobbits were men in origin...... I think the pointy ears are a film creation surely? other than size and hairy feet they are like men .....alike enough to coexist at Bree.... I imagine they sprang of some genetic mutation and then maybe having been shunned by their communities as can so often be the fate of those who are differen they formed a breakaway community .... this would explain their love of privacy and retiring nature ...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 10:55 AM   #9
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

but remember the orcs in mordor they mistook them for elves
Old 07-26-2004, 11:01 AM   #10
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
The orcs of mordor had probably never seen elves and not heard of hobbits .... like Faramir's companions they probably thought anything they didn't recognize would be elves...... too soft footed and subtle for men......

And I think it is clera in nature and inclination hobbits are much closer to men than elves...

Old 07-26-2004, 11:05 AM   #11
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

I think I would disagree they have stronger wills then men that is one of the reasons they resist the ring and they love all things natural and buil with nature not on it like elves
Old 07-26-2004, 11:27 AM   #12
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Hmm... I sense I won't convince you but I would say that they are primitive, uncorrupted men living simple lives...disinterested in powere because they are a small but determined race... yes they love nature but in almost every other respect they are unlike elves certainly the Eldar ...andI suspect they are more like men than the Avari...

Old 07-26-2004, 12:20 PM   #13
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
The Origin of the origin of hobbits....

This does seem to be a popular recurring topic! Even the titles of some of the threads are the same, with minimal variations. I'll provide a couple more links here (I hope I'm not repeating!):
Where do hobbits come from?
Where do Hobbits come from?
the origin of hobbits

Cheers!
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 06:54 PM   #14
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Pennsylvania, WtR, passed Sarn Gebir: Above the rapids (1239 miles) BtR, passed Black Rider Stopping Place (31 miles)
Tuor of Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
As for hobbits originating with the Big Folk, although these are elf allusions:

If you have the LOTR: FOTR EE DVD (there's a series of letters for you!)
check out the chippy comments of the four lads about why the elf girls were upset when they left Rivendell.

Also, in "Bored of the Rings", Galadriel's tempting of Frodo.

Last edited by Tuor of Gondolin; 07-27-2004 at 06:58 PM.
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote