The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2015, 07:54 AM   #1
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Exciting Tolkien find - map lovers alert..

http://www.theguardian.com/books/201...d-of-the-rings

Ravenna the inspiration for Minas Tirith? Interesting...
Old 10-23-2015, 09:14 AM   #2
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Oh, for one close look at that map. I fear it's likely to end up in the hands of someone who only values it for its "pop culture" significance rather than as a unique window into the mind of such a great author.

Minas Tirith has always seemed rather Mediterranean, so the Ravenna connotation is maybe not that surprising.
Old 10-25-2015, 02:56 PM   #3
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
There's also a statement in Letter 294 that puts Minas Tirith "at about the latitude of Florence" and Pelargir at that of ancient Troy - so yes, Gondor is definitely mediterranean. It would be interesting though whether the Professor had any specific architectural features of Ravenna (or Florence, for that matter) in mind when he described the White City.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:07 AM   #4
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
White Tree Gondor compared to Venice

According to the Letters, Tolkien and his daughter Priscilla visited Italy from late July to mid-August 1955. In a letter dated 7th September, a reply to questions asked by a reader, Richard Jeffrey, Tolkien apologised for the delay in his reply, saying that the former's enquiry 'came while I was away, in Gondor (sc. Venice), as a change from the North Kingdom'. (Letter 168)
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:39 AM   #5
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Can't put my fingers on the quote right now, but I distinctly remember him speaking somewhere of Venice as Númenórean Pelargir before the Shadow came. It may be in a letter from the same time as the one you quoted, Faramir.

While we're dwelling on geographical correspondences, it's quite obvious that the coastline of Lindon, Minhiriath and Enedwaith broadly matches that of the British Isles (with the Irish Sea dried up) and France, except the Iberian Peninsula seems to have been mislaid.
Old 10-26-2015, 04:49 PM   #6
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Oh, for one close look at that map. I fear it's likely to end up in the hands of someone who only values it for its "pop culture" significance rather than as a unique window into the mind of such a great author.
I agree! We need a fundraiser for the Downs to buy this at once!

To say nothing of the other items from Baynes' effects, talk about a fantasy nerd's treasure trove.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:34 PM   #7
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Mentally I can't square Ravenna in the middle of endless flat fens with near-vertical Minas Tirith on its mountain seat
Old 10-27-2015, 06:02 AM   #8
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
White Tree A dream of Old Gondor

Pitchwife, you're right in terms of your reference. In Volume I, Chronology, of their The J.R.R.Tolkien Companion and Guide (2006), Christina Scull and Wayne Hammond deal in detail with Tolkien's 1955 trip to Italy with his daughter Priscilla. There is a lot of detail from Tolkien himself; because he kept a journal of the trip, which he called Giornale d'Italia.

On 27th July 1955, he wrote to Rayner Unwin, 'I leave the North Kingdom [England] for a rapid excursion to Gondor [Italy] on Saturday morning, but shall, I hope, be back by August 16'. (Chronology, p. 462)

His and Priscilla's trip to Italy is covered on pages 462-74 of the Chronology, and pages 463-8 deal with their time in Venice. On page 466, we read that after both had dinner with Christopher and Faith Tolkien, who were also staying in Venice, they returned to their hotel. Tolkien's account speaks of it being

a beautiful balmy night...Venice seemed incredible, elvishly lovely - to me like a dream of Old Gondor, or Pelagrir of the Númenorean ships, before the return of the Shadow.

Last edited by Faramir Jones; 10-27-2015 at 06:06 AM.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:12 PM   #9
Ivriniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Ivriniel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith View Post
http://www.theguardian.com/books/201...d-of-the-rings

Ravenna the inspiration for Minas Tirith? Interesting...
I liked the reverence to "Dorwinich" in Rhun. Is that where the Second of the Nazgul, Kamul, came from. What, exactly is the origin of the Easterling?

I also saw some tantalising scrawling on Gundabad, which was off the top of the page. Wonder where that was going.
Ivriniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 05:31 AM   #10
Axbolt
Pile O'Bones

Axbolt has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
I also saw some tantalising scrawling on Gundabad, which was off the top of the page. Wonder where that was going.
I found a better image on the internet, it reads "Eotheod", although I have no idea what it means
Old 11-16-2015, 06:23 AM   #11
Zigûr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigûr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigûr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
It's perhaps a speculation on the lands of origin of the Éothéod, ancestors of the Eorlingas (aka the Rohirrim), who did originally come from the North before settling in the Mark.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:12 AM   #12
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Shield You're right

You're right, Zigûr. While I don't have it to hand, I recall in the relevant essay in Unfinished Tales that the Éothéod moved to the upper vales of Anduin after the fall of Agmar, to seek more room.

By the time of Eorl, they had become too many for that location, but were constrained from moving south because of the growing power of Dol Guldur, occupied by Sauron. Therefore, the offer by Ruling Steward Cirion of Calenardhon to Eorl as a reward for their help would give them plenty of room to grow.
Old 11-21-2015, 11:59 AM   #13
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axbolt View Post
I found a better image on the internet, it reads "Eotheod", although I have no idea what it means
Isn't it Anglo saxon or Old English for horse-people?

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 04:44 PM   #14
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I think Tolkien started writing Eomer... then changed to Theoden mid word... then got distracted and forgot to finish it, and ended up with Eotheod!

It's not impossible...

... although he might have meant eo(h) + þeód too
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 06:34 PM   #15
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The word Eotheód occurs in Appendix A as the name of either the people and/or the land of Eorl near the sources of Anduin, before the move south to Calenardhon.