Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2006, 01:11 PM   #41
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Elfride answered "I think you were beginning to get a little old for dolls by the time I came to the village". She remembered how attached her daughter had been to her dolls but Tilly had never got a chance to outgrow them.... she tried to stop herself thinking about her lost daughter but something someone had said was bothering her and she knew not what. She forced herself, as she had done so often in the past few years to concentrate on the practical to prevent herself being overwhelmed by sad painful memories.

Elfride intoduced Leoflic as best she could after such a short aquaintanceship and then she started to plan.She was going on a quest it seemed but was ill prepared
even for what little she knew of it. She had a sword and a horse but the other possessions she had taken to stay in her brother's comfortable apartments were not ideal for the venture. If they were not starting til tomorrow she should have time to get home and equip herself properly. In fact a change of location would not be such a bad idea for them all - the group was now becoming much to conspicuous and mention of murder and money might attract undesirable attention. The war had not removed all evil from the world else their quest would nt be necessary - and an Inn in Edoras was hardly private.

She wondered if she should offer her home as a place for them to plan - the farm was more secluded than the Starnson homestead, further from the village and their activity less likely to be observed. Bredon and his wife were utterly loyal to her and not inclined to gossip. The other farmworkers lived in cottages further from the main house and like enough would not notice. But did she want strangers in her house? Those of the group she knew would provide some security from those she didn't. She continued to ponder as Mayonette spoke to Thomas - that at least brought back happy memories of herself and Theomund when they were younger even than these twain.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:01 PM   #42
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Witch_Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Witch_Queen Send a message via MSN to Witch_Queen Send a message via Yahoo to Witch_Queen
Mayonette must hate me for what I have done to her. The only reason I ever left to go to Gondor was so that I could come back and support Mayonette. I wish she would have gone with me to Gondor. Then the years I spent away from her wouldn't have seen like forever. Thomas was afraid to tell Mayonette his true feelings. When his father was at home he had always told Thomas to hide his feelings. Never let anyone see you cry and when it came to love to always protect your heart.

Thomas knew Mayonette real well. He could sense that something he had said had hurt her. "Mayonette I never meant to hurt you. Your the only reason I went to Gondor." There I go, exposing my heart to Mayonette.. But I know she will not strike me while I'm down. Thomas couldn't help but pause. He figured he had made a mistake when he told her that he had gone to Gondor for her. He took Mayonette's hand in his own. "I cared for you too much. My brother told me that the only way to prove to your father that I was worthy of such a fine woman was to become a soldier. I believed him, I wish I would have stayed at home. Perhaps I would have been happier. Perhaps I wouldn't have lost so much."

Thomas looked at Mayonette. "Please forgive me. I left Rohan because I loved you then and I still love you now. Mayonette, forgive a foolish man."
Old 05-19-2006, 05:48 AM   #43
Crystal Heart
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Crystal Heart has just left Hobbiton.
He loved her! She had always wished for him to say those words. It was the reason why she had rejected every courter that came to call. The only man she had ever wanted to be with was Thomas. She would have to give his brother a piece of her mind once they were done with the journey. How little did Thomas' brother know.

She stepped closer to him and placed her hand upon his cheek. She studied his eyes, knowing that hers were welling up with tears. How could he think that she was mad at him? She had never been mad at him. Just worried sick about where he was and how he was, but never mad.

"Oh Thomas. I am so sorry for what you have seen and lost during your time as a soldier. Your brother was very wrong. You didn't need to go off to Gondor in order to win my hand. Yet, you did and for the reasons that you went. . . they touch my heart and soul. You never hurt me by going. You just had me worried sick. I didn't know where you had gone and I just. . . I couldn't bare the thought of losing the one man that I have ever loved. I love you too Thomas. So very much and you always have my forgiveness. And don't say you are foolish. You did the most beautiful thing. You wanted to prove you were good to my father. That is honorable Thomas," she whispered to him.

Memories swirled in her mind of their childhood together. Yes, she always knew that he was the one for her. Now and forever. Now he was here with her and that forever was starting right now. That she knew. Her heart raced as she reached up and kissed him softly upon his lips. A blast of pure happiness and love shot through her small frame. She smiled as she returned to where she was standing.

"I love you so much Thomas. And now you know my father respected you highly," she stopped and giggled as she thought of the condition and the words in her father's will, "Thomas, father's will came with a condition for you. The condition was that if you wanted the land you had to marry me in order to get it. Father wrote in the will that he felt that you need a push to ask me before I became an old maid."

She moved a tad bit closer. She whispered softly, "I would have waited my whole life for you." She smiled as her heart burst with joy. He loved her and she loved him! Perhaps the world was changing for the best after all.

Last edited by Crystal Heart; 05-19-2006 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:46 AM   #44
Cordelia Harrison
Wight

Cordelia Harrison has just left Hobbiton.
Cordelia smiled at Elfride. She had known the woman for a very long time. They never had a chance to get together all that much, under circumstances that didn't require some medical attention.

"Elfride, I highly doubt that we should stay here to discuss our problems and thought processes of a certain journey we are about to embark on. Any shady character can wander into this place and learn of what we plan to do and tell the correct people, making our job even more dangerous. What say you to perhaps heading to the homestead?" She asked her, curious on the woman's opinion.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:00 PM   #45
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
"Cordelia, you read my mind," answered Elfride. "I was thinking just the same thing - we should certainly go somewhere more private - this group is conspicuous enough without talk of money and murder and" ..whatever is going on over there with those two she thought able to see what Cordelia couldn't .

"Anyway I need to pass by my own home and collect supplies in case .... " again Elfride's voice faltered ,knowing that voicing concerns over Sandrina's health could not make them a reality, but not wanting to add to the tension, "well just in case - and really I would prefer not to adventure in the wild in my best riding habit". The masculine garb worn by the younger women was much more appropriate. She flashed a quick smile at Cordelia.

" I wonder if Samuel may have the Starnson propery watched . Doing our planning and preparation at my farm might be more discreet but it is Mayonette's choice. I will suggest it when she returns. She may still prefer we go to her own home in which case I will join you there. It will not take me long to be ready. Wherever we go we should perhaps not go in one large group? " Elfride wondered if any of the military men had any suggestions on that score.

Last edited by Mithalwen; 05-19-2006 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:28 PM   #46
Cordelia Harrison
Wight

Cordelia nodded solemnly. If Samuel was behind any of this, then he most certainly would have the homestead bugged. It was just like him to do that. If they wanted to get around him then they needed to go and plan what they were to do in a safe place.

"Mayonette will probably want to head to your house. She isn't foolish enough to trust her uncle. I suggest that we do not speak anyones name here. I fear that there are eyes and ears in this place that we do not wish knowing of whom we speak," she advised.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:01 AM   #47
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Send a message via AIM to Witch_Queen Send a message via MSN to Witch_Queen Send a message via Yahoo to Witch_Queen
Thomas bent down to whisper in Mayonette's ear. "But my dear you won't have to wait. I'm home now and I don't plan on leaving you any time soon." Thomas wrapped his arms around Mayonette pulling her closer to him. From all his work in Gondor Thomas had built up muscle, and he knew Mayonette was much smaller than he was. Mayonette was like breakable doll to him. He wanted to hold her and ease her pain, but was afraid that he might break the fragile Mayonette. "Perhaps when we have rescued your sister and gotten back home we can make your father proud." He knew this wasn't the best time but he had to get his thoughts off of his chest.

He released Mayonette before he dropped down on one knee. Looking up at the woman that had his heart he began the biggest speech of his life. "Mayonette Starnson, I have loved you since the day you handed me the beating of my life. I was only a little boy then but you stole my heart the day you gave me that bruise. I lived five years without you in my life and that was five years too long. I don't want to live another day without you. Miss Starnson would you do me the pleasure and be my wife?" Thomas waited on Mayonette for an answer wondering what she might say to him.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:08 AM   #48
Crystal Heart
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tears of joys glistened in her eyes. She caressed his cheek softly and nodded. Her lower lip quivered slightly. Her heart screamed a joyous hallejuah within her soul. She had always known that she was meant to be with Thomas.

"Oh Thomas. Yes. A thousand times yes. I loved you from that same moment and I would be so honored to be your wife. After five years I know I can't live without you and I don't want to try. Thomas you are the most wonderful thing that has ever come into my life," she whispered. She placed both her hands upon his cheek and kissed him softly.

Last edited by Crystal Heart; 05-20-2006 at 12:12 AM.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:19 AM   #49
Dimturiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Dimturiel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Dimturiel Send a message via Yahoo to Dimturiel
Edhener was listening to Elfride and Cordelia's discussion. He did not feel like talking himself, however. He thought of what Mayonette had said, about not wanting any fights to start between them, and he admited to himself that he should start talking to someone, but he could not bring himself to do it. He felt much too ill at ease. He always did, when he was among those he did not know. "And anyway," he said to himself, "Why would any of them have something against me, when they do not even know me? They should not.Not as long as I do my part on this quest as best I can."

Edhener looked arround him. From those that sat there, only General Hama he knew well. But their aquaintance had been made before the Great War, when he was still a lad, so he had no hope of being recognised. He did not feel quite sure that he wanted that, anyway. There were parts of his past about which he never talked about, that he kept locked inside his mind as one may hide something unpleasant and incriminating.

Edhener began to grow impatient. He wondered what had Mayonette and Thomas to say to each other that took so long. He turned to Elfride and Cordelia and asked:

"Should we not set off? Time may be shorter than we think, and we know not what ill fortune every hour lost might bring."
Old 05-20-2006, 11:14 AM   #50
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Léoflic stood by wondering what the heck he was doing there. I mean, I don't even know these people and I'm about to embark on a quest with them! He stood by patiently, listening to Elfride and Cordelia's conversation, not wanting to interupt.

Finally, Edhener, interuppted and asked "Should we not set off? Time may be shorter than we think, and we know not what ill fortune every hour lost might bring."

"I am in agreement," Léoflic added. "I may be an outcast in this group, yet I'd still like to help out in anyway possible. Let's get going!"

Last edited by piosenniel; 05-20-2006 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:53 PM   #51
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Elfride, smiled inwardly as she managed to take a surreptitious glance or two at Mayonette and Thomas, she thought that she could guess what was going on but she would not draw attention to it yet.

"Leoflic, call yourself not so - you are most welcome. However we do need a decision on where we are going - since I have to return to my property anyway I am tempted to leave immediately perhaps with a companion or two. Then I can either be ready to join you elswhere the sooner or prepare for you arrival. These three- " Elfride indicated Cordelia, Mayonette and Thomas " know the back way - we need not all arrive by the main road. I suggest we plan tonight and start out at dawn tomorrow. I begrudge the delay as much as anyone but we will waste more time by being ill prepared." She looked around for her suggestion to be gainsaid and hoped that Mayonette would turn her attention back to her ad hoc fellowship soon.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:59 PM   #52
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thomas was so glad that Mayonette had accepted his proposal. "Mayonette, I think we should go back and join the others. We can celebrate later, right now we have to put "us" to the side and concentrate on bringing your sister back home safe and sound." Thomas knew Cordelia would be very happy for the two of them.

Thomas leaned down making his face only a few inches from Mayonette's face. He turned his head to whisper in her ear. "I'm glad you return my feelings. More than anything I'm glad I came back to Rohan for you." Thomas moved a little bit, his heart pounding he kissed Mayonette. "Now shall we join the others and see what they have come up with." He held Mayonette's hand and no matter what he didn't want to let her go, not now and not ever.
Old 05-21-2006, 08:42 AM   #53
Crystal Heart
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mayonette nodded in agreement to what Thomas had said. Her heart felt lighter than it had in days. She was thankful that he was there with her. The journey would be easier with him around.

She lead him back to the group. She smiled softly at the members of the quest. They had gotten to know one another as she had asked. Now, the planning was to begin. Yet, there was an uneasy feeling here. She knew that they could not stay here and plan out the details of this quest.

"We should leave. Immediately. There is planning that we need to do before morn breaks. Let us get out of here and start traveling. Anywhere. It does not matter. The only thing that matters is that we do not discuss where we are leaving to here. There are too many ears and eyes that we shouldn't trust," she advised them. The group nodded in agreement and headed for the door.

Mayonette touched Cordelia's arm gently and gave her a smile. Cordelia gave her a confounded look as she cocked her head to the side. Mayonette leaned in and whispered her big news to her. Cordelia smiled and clasped her friend's arm.

"Congratulations you two," she said before heading off to find the others.

They group went outside where the fading light of day had turned into the crisp darkness of night. They clamored onto the their horses and headed away from the Inn slowly. Mayonette rode at Thomas' side, looking around to see if anyone was following. As soon as they were far away enough for her satisfaction she cleared her throat.

"I think we shouldn't head to the homestead. I just don't trust that place. We need to go somewhere safe. Elfride can we stay at your home?" She asked, wanting a place that she was familiar with.

Last edited by Crystal Heart; 05-22-2006 at 12:30 PM.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:27 AM   #54
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Sixth Wizard has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to The Sixth Wizard
Bound on personal business, Garnae leaves the questors for a short while . . .

Garnae was troubled as he rode. What could be so important that the Riders themselves would send a messenger? He didn't have a very high standing in the Rohirrim either. There would have to be a very good reason for his going.

"Crean, noble horse, are you the only one I can understand?" he whispered.
Perhaps not. The man Thomas seemed trustworthy, and Mayonette and Cordelia. A quest seemed a just idea. He still wondered if it was the right decision to accompany them.

"Why do we return to my homestead?" he asked as they drew to the last hill. The entire journey the messenger had said nothing to him, and Garnae, being not very skilled with words, had refrained from starting a conversation. But now he was worried.

The messenger answered slowly, "Look, Garnae is it? I - I don't know how to tell you this..."
But he had already seen it himself. As they passed over the final hill, a thin wisp of smoke drifted into the air, and slow as a stalking wolf, his home was revealed. Or, what had been his home. Where the grand table had been, now there was just a pile of ash. Where the proud pillar that held up the roof had stood, now was a deformed lump upon the scorched and shivered rock of the foundation.

His home, the house and all its valuable treasures, family heirlooms, claims for land, all was burned to the ground.

"Fellow Rider," said the messenger. "I truly am sorry."
Garnae knelt next to the ruins of the stone fireplace and cried bitterly. After a minute of this, he seemed to strengthen. He stood up.
"I swear, you demon who have commited this atrocity, that I Garnae of the Riders of Rohan, shall hunt you and thus avenge the evils loosed upon the world by your hand. So is fate revealed."

"Very moving," said the messenger.

Last edited by piosenniel; 05-22-2006 at 12:21 PM.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:14 PM   #55
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

"Of course! Cordelia and I discussed it whilst you were otherwise engaged" she continued managing to keep her face innocent as she watched for in the rapidly fading light a sign that her words had an added significance. I will ride ahead to warn my steward and be ready to receive you. You know the way well enough, don't you?".

Elfride took Mayonettte's hand and squeezed it. Then she shortened her reins and touched her heels to her horse's sides. Leif needed little encouragement and sprang forward soon taking her out of sight of the other riders.

Last edited by Mithalwen; 05-23-2006 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:39 PM   #56
Cordelia Harrison
Wight

Cordelia's eyes scanned the horizon, looking for Garnae. He had just disappeared and she was starting to worry about him. Could they just leave without him? She didn't want to think about it.

There was something in his eyes that had captured her attention. She only hoped that everything was okay. He had left so quickly with the Rohan messanger. What had been the message that had taken him so swiftly from the rest of the group.

She looked down at her hands and sighed. Even being in this group she felt so very alone. Her best friend was now engaged. She knew that every moment that wasn't devoted to finding her sister would be spent with Thomas. It was how it was suppose to be. She was really very happy for Mayonette. The girl had been pinning for Thomas since he had disappeared from Rohan. She just didn't want their friendship to change. Yet, she knew it had to. They were no longer innocent girls. They were women that had responsibilities and loved ones.

Well, Mayonette had a loved one. It seemed to her that everyone that she had ever encountered didn't really want to come to call for very long. Courters always told her father that she was far too much to handle for their tastes. Her father had countered that she was a woman of Rohan and that as such she was strong enough for the trials that resided here.

She looked over her shoulder and saw a very defeated Garnae riding back towards the Inn. She spun her small mare around and raced over to him. Something shouted to her that he needed someone desperately. She only hoped he would be okay with her presence.

"Garnae, it is I. Cordelia Harrison. The group is over yonder. I do believe that they will be heading for Elfride's house, a place I know very well. Thus, you have no need to hurry your horse. What has happened? Why does it seem like all life has been struck from you?"
Old 05-23-2006, 01:46 AM   #57
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dûm

"What has happened? Why does it seem like all life has been struck from you?" asked the blue-eyed woman called Cordelia. She spoke kindly, and filled Garnae with hope. But his tragedy had almost broken him, and he didn't answer. Still, he was moved.

When Garnae didn't answer, she continued to inform him on all of the goings on while he was away that night. He listened silently as she described the new members of their group, suddenly exclaiming as she mentioned General Hama.

"Hama? The Hama?!" Amazing that a leader of his stature should assist in a venture such as this. Perhaps that betrayed something of his personality, simple yet great. As much as Garnae was annoyed that he might have to act bravely or disciplined while Hama was present, he admitted that it would help the group to have an older adult on hand. They were all so young, too full of passions and life and rash decisions, and an experienced warrior would be needed.

As for the other members, none really attracted his attention as much as the General, but they all had fascinating histories. Elfride, the woman on the other table, had a tragic past, but her strength encouraged Garnae to stand up to fear once again. Léoflic, the boy other than Thomas, also made him feel this. Edhener struck no thoughts, other than hope at having such talent on board.

He almost laughed when she spoke of Mayonette and Thomas kissing on the first night they met, after not seeing each other for so long! How their hearts must have burned for all those years, until their world was filled with the lust, or it was crushed under the weight of circumstance and duty.

Then the strength came over him again. Time to stop living in stories, he thought. Change is at hand, a darker day, but a bright morning.

Without warning he spurred Crean ahead. He felt himself laughing with Cordelia, as they galloped, cantering back to the others.

A bright morning.

Last edited by The Sixth Wizard; 05-23-2006 at 04:40 PM.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:38 AM   #58
Dimturiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Edhener rode together with the rest of the group. He had left a message at the inn, informing his parents that he had left to spend some time alone in the wilderness. Nothing of the quest was mentioned, not only because the company thought it best to remain a secret, but also for reasons of his own. He did not want his parents to worry needlessly. They had already lost one son, they had been through enough. And also, he knew who they would blame for his actions and, true as it was, he would not have it so.

Edhener felt restless. He had been glad to leave, glad to finally be on the road. He looked arround him. He knew these parts, for he and his brother had often rode through them,and, during their mad gallop, they would soon forget the troubles and sorrows that their land was then facing. But that was long ago. Things had changed since then. There was a large stump where an old tree once stood, or a house where once there had been only an empty field. But not everything was different, and Edhener fancied that he could hear the gleeful shouts of young voices, and see mounted shadows pass him by. Once or twice he nearly called out, yet he checked himself, for fear of breaking the spell that seemed to surround him.

Escaping from his memories, Edhener realised he had remained behind. He would soon lose the group, if he was not careful. Urging his horse to ride faster, he rejoined the group trying to ignore the tempting visions of his lost past.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:49 PM   #59
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Elfride's homestead lay a couple of miles nearer to Edoras than the village but not directly on the main road. She trusted that the girls knew the way well enough not to miss the turning in the dark but for herself and her horse there could be no mistaking the lane that would take her to the back way on to her property, The Grange. There was a broader track that joined the main road further down, closer to the village but as well as being a longer route, most of her farm workers' cottages were along that road and their party would be large enough to attract their attention.

She turned Leif who made his way, sure footed despite his size, through a copse and then the woodland opened and she was back on her own demesne. Skirting the orchard she could see lights in the windows of the steward's house but not her own. She wished it was light enough to see the house more clearly. She loved her home and the bittersweet memories it contained .

The traditional rohan homestead had been extended and largely rebuilt with the money from her dowry using a style Theomund had seen in Gondor. The old thatched great hall remained but the new house adjoining it was stone built and had a tiled roof. It's building had been a great local curiosity - many thought it folly but it was comfortable and commodious.

The old farmhouse a long, low building, had not been demolished but was largely disused. Theomund, remembering the discord in the early days between his mother and his wife had decided that it should remain against the day when his son brought his own bride home and wished for a degree of independence. The new part of the house had been designed at a time when they hoped for more children and expected to entertain many guests and was far too large for a widow living in retirement from society.

Elfride rounded the walled gardens and entered the courtyard in front of her house through the side gate. As she did so Bredon her steward emerged from his house bearing a light.

"Ah lass, I'm glad to see you safe home - such terrible things have happened here since you left - but from your face perhaps you have heard? ". Elfride did not expect formality from her Steward. Her mother in law might have been "Milady" to him but Elfride had been addressed as Lass since the day she had arrived and it was a mark of affection not disrespect. He too had served under he father in his youth and he and his wife Maudie had been quiet support to the new bride, who had felt so alone on the farm when Theomund had been away with his Eored. He was now over sixty but still hale and Elfride knew she would have struggled to manage the past few years without him.

"If you mean about the Starnsons' I have. In fact Mayonette is on her way here now with her friend Cordelia and four or five soldiers ... they are making up a search party. We will leave at dawn tomorrow but they will stay here tonight - so if you could possibly take Leif and prepare for the arrival of another half dozen horses I would be grateful... and if Maudie could give me a hand in the house I would be even more grateful."

"Soldiers in the house - are you sure that is wise ..... and why do you have to go Lass... if they need another person one of my boys...". Bredon's sons were all approaching forty but as she herself was still 'lass' so they were still his boys.

"I need to go because Sandrina Hitherford is with child... but keep that to yourself - and keep this venture as quiet as possible please. I hope we can get away unnoticed. If anyone wants to know where I am I will be visiting Theo's sister near Helm's Deep. The soldiers are under the command of General Haukrsson so I expect no insubordination, but even so it will be well for the girls to have a chaperone.... but please we have so little time.."

Bredon took Leif and Elfride let herself into the house, where she was delighted to find that fires had been laid and lamps filled ready for her return. All she had to do was light them. She had scarce put down her bags before Maudie arrived with fresh bread and by the time more hoofbeats were heard in the yard fires were beginning to glow in the kitchen and great hall. At short notice she could offer her guests plain fare only but this was not a time for feasting and so the home produced ham and cheese would suffice. They decided all could be accomodated without opening the old wing and Elfride thanked Maudie as the older woman went to make up beds... and apologised for the extra work... "it will be good for the house to be full ..especially with Master Elfthain away... " had been the response

Elfthain! Elfride realised with a mixture of surprise and horror that she had managed to get through an hour without brooding over her boy but she had no time to think more of him now... the others would soon arrive.

Last edited by Mithalwen; 05-25-2006 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:32 PM   #60
Crystal Heart
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mayonette rode through the darkness, turning at the correct place. Her eyes spied the house that she had known so well in her younger years. She smiled softly as they came upon it. It held so many dear memories.

She turned her horse around to look to see who was still with them. She noticed that her friend Cordelia was not with them. Neither was Garnae. She figured that Cordelia had gone back for him.

"We shouldn't waste time dawdling outside. There is much to plan before the night is through," she instructed as she turned her mare around.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:42 PM   #61
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Léoflic rode steadily behind Crystal on the way to Elfride's homestead, still feeling outcsted. Well, I can't say that I blame them. I don't even know them? He thought to himself. Why am I even going on this "mission"? What do I have to gain from this? A way to forget my past?

It was then that he noticed Mayonnette was looking around. Perhaps she was looking for her friend. Cordelia was it?

"We shouldn't waste time dawdling outside. There is much to plan before the night is through,"

Léoflic rode to catch up to Mayonnette. "I don't think we were ever formally introduced. I am Léoflic, an aquiantance of Elfride's."

Last edited by piosenniel; 05-24-2006 at 11:02 AM.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:42 PM   #62
Cordelia Harrison
Wight

Cordelia pushed her mare to ride faster than his. She rode low as she and her mare galloped in front of his horse. She laughed brightly, allowing it to echo through the darkness of night.

They raced each other, laughing brightly. The life that she had seen in him when he had first arrived had returned. She raced in front of him, dancing her mare in zig zags.

"Try to catch me!" She called as she whistled to her mare to go faster. The mare neighed playfully, understanding the game immediately. It was one of reasons why Mitta was her favorite horse.

As she raced ahead a thought flitted into her mind. The thought of getting lost scared her and she stopped her mare in front of his, causing him to come to a halt. She gave him an apologetic look.

"Sorry. I just know that there is this one turn that if you miss it in the dark you'll end up in the middle of nowhere and . . .well. . ." she trailed off and looked down at her hands. She hated admitting her fears to anyone. "I'm really afraid of the dark."
Old 05-23-2006, 05:48 PM   #63
Crystal Heart
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mayonette smiled and bowed her head to him in acknowledgement. So that is how he knew Elfride. She had been curious, but then again who didn't know Elfride? She had helped birth so many children in Rohan.

"It is lovely to meet you. Any friend of Elfride is a friend of mine. I am glad that you came upon this journey with us. The more people the more eyes and the faster we will find my sister. Where are you from Leoflic?" She asked him as they slowed down their pace as they got closer to Elfride's estate.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:26 PM   #64
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

"My family is originally Gondorian. However, during the War, my grandparents decided to move here, to Rohan, to escape the Danger from the East. I was about four years of age then. When we moved, my father joined the Rohirrim. He died in battle..." Léofic said with a solemn expression upon his face.

He thought back to when he and his mother received the news. He remembered crying for weeks on end. His mother was always there to comfort him. It was just then that it struck him: who was there to comfort her? He always wondered how is mother was coping with the loss of her husband. She didn't have any one to turn to. Maybe that's why she fell ill? he thought to himself.

It was then that he realised that he had been silent for quite some time. He looked over at Mayonette and realised that she had been watching him intently. "I'm sorry. I was just thinking back..."
Old 05-23-2006, 08:32 PM   #65
Crystal Heart
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mayonette gave him a sad smile. Too many bad things had happened in everyone's life. Too many to count. She understood that sad expression. It was one that she had seen many times in her life.

"It's all right. Memories tend to suck you into a different world don't they? Oh how I understand that. Well. Welcome to Rohan. It's very delayed, but welcome all the same. After this, you need not hesitate if you should need anything. That is the Stranson way," she told him with a gentle smile.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:14 PM   #66
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thomas looked around for Mayonette. She must have fallen back a bit. Thomas had been silent most of the ride. He couldnt' help but remember how long it had been since he had rode along side Mayonette. Oh there she is. If Thomas' memory served him right that was Elfride's friend, Leoflic.

He slowed his horse to almost a walk, hoping that Mayonette and Leoflic would catch up soon. Instead of waiting Thomas decided to turn Chianna around riding towards Mayonette. He coud tell the two of them were in some sort of conversation. He looked around knowing that Cordelia had to be around somewhere. "Mayonette you seemed troubled. Do tell what be the problem?"
Old 05-24-2006, 05:22 AM   #67
Crystal Heart
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mayonette heard Thomas at her side. She turned and gave him a loving smile. She reached out and grasped his hand. She could barely believe that he would one day be her husband. The thought was an amazing one for her.

"Just dwelling on darker days, Thomas. But now that you are here all those bad memories just float away," she told him softly.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:06 PM   #68
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dûm

"I'm really afraid of the dark." said Cordelia.

Garnae smiled. "My dear girl, if you wrote what I was afraid of in a list it would fill the Chamber of Mazarbul in Moria. Here, take my lamp, let's keep going and fear no darkness." This was rather crafty speaking for the stuttering Garnae, he wondered what had come over him. He shook himself briskly. Why couldn't he stop looking in her eyes?

He suddenly realised all of this had only happened over the course of one night. Incredible that in such a short time he had met this group, embarked on an epic quest and had his spirit somewhat broken and rearranged clumsily. He also realised he hadn't told anyone of himself. But perhaps it would be better when they were all in a group.

"You have a beautiful horse," said Cordelia, breaking the silence. "What's his name?"

"Crean, after my father," he answered. "My entire family was murdered by Uruks on the way to Helm's Deep, apart from Crean my father and Conwé, my grandfather, who had joined the Riders. Every single one of my forefathers joined the Rohirrim, that's one of the reasons I decided to. They were all hardened, bulky men. I was an odd one out, and an only child, a lanky, useless kid. No hope at farmwork, no use for fighting, no eye for archery." His eyes darkened with memory.

"The only thing that ever pleased my father was my cooking, a gift I seemed to possess. I could have been a cook in the Halls of Meduseld. But the world was cruel, and I never got a break from my debts in the farm. Especially with Mayonette's uncle buying off my land. And just imagine what father will say with it burnt to the ground."

Cordelia looked shocked. Garnae sighed. He'd let it slip.

Last edited by The Sixth Wizard; 05-27-2006 at 02:31 AM.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:13 PM   #69
Cordelia Harrison
Wight

Cordelia blinked in surprised. A man that could cook?! That was something that she had never heard of. It was rather different, but then again she admired it.

"Cook? Really? That is so amazing! My father hates it when I cook. I am so horrid at it. I burn everything. I try following the my mother's receipes, but alas. . . they always fail. If only my mother had the patience to show me when she was alive. Then again, I was far too rowdy. Mayonette, Thomas, and I would always try to go and catch frogs and things of that nature. I was just far too busy learning then to sit still and watch dough rise," she said with a small laugh.

She saw how his eyes darkened at the memories. At what she was told. She placed her hand over his and gave it a gentle squeeze.

"Parents love us. They just have very different ways of showing it. I am sure your father was proud of you, no matter what you did. He just couldn't show it to you because their generation just has that problem of showing their affection for their children," Cordelia pointed out.

Last edited by Cordelia Harrison; 05-28-2006 at 06:31 AM.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:35 PM   #70
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thomas smiled at Mayonette. "Your around friends so cheer up. Your beautiful no matter what, but you look so much better when you smile." As much as Thomas wished not to remember the darker days, he couldn't help but think about his life before Mayonette. His life before he returned to Rohan. Thomas looked at Mayonette.

Oh Mayonette, if only I could tell you everything I had to go through in Gondor. The pain, the suffering, the consistant hurting......... I love you too much to place my troubles on you. I fear that perhaps my past in Gondor may come back to haunt me.

Thomas tried not to allow his thoughts to interfer with his real duty in life. He was there for one reason and one reason alone, Mayonette... the love of his life. "Mayonette fear not, I am here. There will always be darker days. Its like I said, fear not I am here and nothing will harm you; for I am here to protect you."
Old 05-28-2006, 06:37 AM   #71
Crystal Heart
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mayonette smiled at Thomas. Yes, he was here and that meant that there was something right with the world. "Thank you Thomas. You merely being here has eased my pain," she told him softly. She reached out and grasped his hand gently for a moment before returning her hand to clasp her horse's reigns.

They rode towards the house and finally reached the stable. She couldn't remember the stable boy's man, but she remembered his face. She smiled. The place hadn't changed since she had been there last. There was some comfort in that fact.

As soon as she and her horse were safely inside the stable she dismounted and handed the reigns over. The mare neighed softly. She smiled and stroked the horse's face. Then she turned to wait for the others.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:07 PM   #72
Dimturiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Edhener was now riding alone. He had left his companions behind, exept for Mayonette and Thomas who were in front of him. He prefered being alone for the moment, with his past as his sole companion. Edhener smiled to himself. His preference for solitude made him too much alike to the old folk, weary of life and kin. The young usually sickened for company.

Edhener sniffed the night air. A cool breeze was blowing- the first herald of the morning that was to come. But the stars were still bright on the night sky, and shadows lay upon the sleeping land. Edhener remembered a song that a friend of his from Dol Amroth had taught him, and, almost without realising, he began to hum to himself:

Come, let us tread the moonlit night,
Where snow the trees with blooms of gold,
Where silver stars sing of delight,
Where tales of other times are told.

A house appeared in front of him, but so deep in thought he was, that he was not aware of it until he had entered the yard. Edhener went to the stables where he found Mayonette and Thomas. He nodded to them. He dismounted, and let the slable boy take his horse, while he turned to wait the arival of his companions

Last edited by piosenniel; 05-29-2006 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:17 PM   #73
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Léoflic had fallen behind Erdenher when Thomas had rode up. He felt he ought to give the two a little privacy.

He rode around the corner of the estate just as Erdenher was dismounting his own horse. He rode up to the stable and dismounted himself. He handed the reigns over to the stable boy. "Wait!" he cried as the stable boy went to take Aldor away. "Make sure he gets plenty of food. He's still young and eats a lot. If he doesn't have enough food, he's not going to have energy. Oh! And..." he noticed the expressions on his companions face and blushed deeply. "I'm sorry. It's just that Aldor has been the only companion I have had for quite some time and..." he trailed off, not knowing what to say.

Last edited by Glirdan; 05-29-2006 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-29-2006, 02:12 PM   #74
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Elfride went to the door as soon as she heard the first muffled hoof beats on grass, by the time the horses' feet were making a sharper sound on the yard's hard surface she was standing on the threshold her tall figure shrouded by a grey mantle against the night's chill.

Only four so far, Cordelia, Thomas, and the two of he young men she had first
met that evening - Leoflic and Edhener. Where were Cordelia and the blondone?.. Garnae ... yes that was his name. And where was Hama...this venture would be a rather different prospect if he had changed his mind.
Elfride was anxious suddenly feeling more responsibility settle on her shoulders and disquiet at theospect of having armed men she hardly knew in her house. Bredon her steward, aided by one of his grandsons, a lad a little older than Elfthain were coping with the horses so shemoved to guide her guests inside.

Hearing Leoflic's instructions she said "Your horses shall want for nothing, indeed the hospitality they shall receive may exceed that which you will, since the barn is well supplied with the best hay, straw and fodder yet to my human guests, with short notice I can offer little more than bread and cheese". She ushered the quartet through into the Great Hall.

"Your rooms are not yet ready but if you would like to warm yourselves by the fire and make yourselves comfortable while we wait for the others."

A sideboard was already laden with platters, goblets, a cured ham and a truckle of dark yellow cheese, creamy butter and a bowl of fruit. Elfride brought bread from the kitchen and jugs of wine and ale from the cellar and once she was sure that all was ready she turned her focus to their mission "So do you have a plan - or any idea where Samuel has taken Sandrina?"
Old 05-30-2006, 09:08 AM   #75
Crystal Heart
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mayonette shook her head and sighed wearily. She had absolutely no idea if her Uncle was even behind all of this. Deep down she believed he was, but he hadn't been acting suspiciously at the time of Sandrina's kidnapping.

"I have no plan. Nor any idea of where she might be. The only thought that I have is that she is close to Rohan. In her condition it would be dangerous and if they are looking for a randsom then they would want her alive. To top it off I have no idea if Uncle Samuel is really behind all of this. It's just. . . he always wanted my father's land. He was very angry when it was passed to my father. He is the only suspect that I can rely on at this point," Mayonette discussed with Elfride.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:35 PM   #76
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

"Very well, we will have to try and think about what is most likely. We will get the maps out and see whether that helps us decide a course", Elfride's practical nature was over riding her inner anxiety and diffidence but she wished that the General would arrive, knowing herself to be more suited to the role of Adjutant rather than commander.

She went to the campaign chest that sat under a shuttered window, and taking a key from her chatelaine opened it taking out several maps. Setting a lantern on the main refectory table she opened them.

"Bring that other lamp over - we will need all the light we can get! This is the village.." Her own estates wer outlined but the Hitherford property was also shown. "This is the area around Edoras - as you can see showing parts of the Eastfold and West Emnet and the passes of the mountains. This I think will be most useful perhaps - I am sorry it is not more recent - it dates back to the war - and this one is all Rohan."

Those who had arrived gathered around the table. Elfride stood back for a moment and thought.

"Mayonette, does Samuel have any properties his own - where he mihgt be holding Sandrina? And can you tell us all you know of her dissappearance - when exactly did she go? And where Alexander was planning to search?"
Old 05-30-2006, 03:06 PM   #77
Crystal Heart
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mayonette shrugged her shoulders. Properties? That she wasn't entirely sure of. But she had heard a rumor about a property that he did own.

"I do not know for certain the exact whereabouts of his property. I also do not know for certain if he even has a property. He probably does seeing as grandfather didn't give him any property. From the rumors that I have heard his property is here, in the deep thicket of forest. It is rumored that he just took it from the elderly man that had been living there. If Alexander knew about this property then he surely would have headed that way in order to find Sandrina," Mayonette started, pointing west of her property.

She had heard stories of the spooky hut that held the ancient spirits of the murdered. As a child that she had been far too afraid to venture even remotely close to the hut. It would be fitting for her creepy uncle to take up residence there.

"Sandrina was found missing three morns ago. Alexander waited until noon. Sometimes Sandrina will go for a small morning walk, but she had never been gone that long before. He went out on her usual route and found no trace of her. At evening light he took off in a north west direction."
Old 05-31-2006, 08:36 AM   #78
Dimturiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

"Then should we not head for that property?" suggested Edhener. "It is the only one we know of, the only place where we can search. We need somewhere to start, and this seems the only alternative, unless you count searching blindly through the entire Rohan, North, South, West and East."

But they were too few for that, Edhener thought, and time was too short. He thought that making for the property in the woods would be the right plan, if such a property existed. He had never heard of a house in the deep thickets of the woods; unless he paid heed to the rumours of dark and perilous cottages, which he had long stopped believing in, and which he took to be only a tale to scare children off from going too far into the forest, and encountering dangers far greater and more real than restless spirits and monsters.

"Can you tell me more about this place?" he asked turning to Mayonette. "Have you ever seen it? Do you know how far it lies from here?"
Old 05-31-2006, 10:45 AM   #79
Crystal Heart
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mayonette shook her head. It was in the forest and she had never dared travel in there. Not even when she had gotten older. There was an unspoken danger about the forest.

"Unfortunately, no. I have only heard about it from childhood stories. I know it does exist for Father said it did. He had seen it at one time or another. But not I. I have never laid eyes upon it. I haven't even ventured into the wood. I was always too afraid of it. I think that it may be at least three miles. If not more. It's in the thick of the forest. I am sorry that I do not know more," she told Edhener.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:57 AM   #80
Cordelia Harrison
Wight

Garnae nodded, not saying a word. She noticed the turn and pointed at it.

"There. That is where we need to turn," she said. They turned their horses which they had slowed down to a soft walk. She was grateful that he had a lantern. The darkness of the night really did scare her.

Something caught her eye, a shadow dodging in front of her. She pushed her horse away and hit Garnae. She gasped and righted her horse once more.

"I am so sorry. I did not mean to do that," she apologized. She saw the house in front of them like a beacon of hope and light. She sighed inwardly at the sight of it. There she could hide away from the darkness.

Last edited by Cordelia Harrison; 06-08-2006 at 12:01 PM.