The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #1
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Movie Characters Revisited: Introduction and Concept

I was re-watching the LOTR movies recently and thinking a lot about the characters, and how well (or not) they were portrayed in the movies. The design will be similar to the CBC discussions in the Book Forums, but this will be all about the movie characters, with a new character every week.

The main purpose of this thread is to see if there's interest in doing a weekly series of movie charaters' discussions. Only have some easily followed pattern, so it's not a confused blob of random characters people are talking about. I can keep doing these as long as there are characters to discuss, and people willing to discuss them.

Here is the list I came up with, the 9 Fellowship members plus a couple other fairly important characters. If there are any other characters someone wants to talk about, please post on this thread, and I can add them on the list.

Gandalf
Frodo
Gollum/Smeagol
Sam
Merry
Pippin
Aragorn
Boromir
Gimli
Legolas
Saruman
Arwen
Eowyn
Faramir
Theoden
Eomer
Denethor
Sauron
Elrond/Galadriel
Treebeard/Ents

A note: All of these discussions will have starting points and questions (normally a handful of scenes, or observations) that deal with the casting, script-writing, and the portrayal compared to the books. But like the Chapter-by-Chapter threads, you can talk about anything pertinent to the movie character. (While also staying away from the "ZOMG Legolas is HOTZZ" and "I'm dusterbed by Frodo!" )

In the next couple days I will open up a thread for a discussion about Gandalf in the movies, and then open the next one the following week. This thread will be a HQ of sorts, if there are any other comments, questions about the overall "Characters Revisited" series. Or if there are other movie characters people want to discuss, I can add them on to the list. I will also link all the threads back to this one.

Last edited by Boromir88; 07-30-2012 at 04:59 AM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:49 PM   #2
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Granted, he's more of an eyeball than a character, but I feel that the Lord of the Rings himself should have a place on this list. Galadriel and Elrond too, though they are more minor characters.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:56 PM   #3
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I misread the thread title as "Introduction and Conceit" and got all ready to bash PJ again.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:05 PM   #4
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Form, I tend to forget Sauron as a character too, so no worries. And like I said, as long as there are characters, and willing participants, I'm not opposed to anyone. Maybe except the "Gondor Soldier #5," not sure he would deserve a week, just for getting speared by an orc.

Inzil, well in the Thread title I left off the "d" , but I'm going to take your post to mean you're interested too.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:00 PM   #5
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Thumbs up

Let's go for it!
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:38 PM   #6
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
Inzil, well in the Thread title I left off the "d" , but I'm going to take your post to mean you're interested too.
Sure, I'll have a bash. Literally, perhaps.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:53 PM   #7
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Great idea! Please include 'shirtless woodchopping orc,' as I think that it would lead to a very interesting discussion.

http://forum.barrowdowns.com/attachm...4&d=1141340845
Old 06-10-2012, 08:09 PM   #8
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Great idea, Boro! I'll participate as much as my rather dim recollection of the movies allows me to.

I think Treebeard/Ents in general could be discussed. And I think your list does not include Eomer - I think he'd be an interesting one.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:20 PM   #9
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I shall throw in a rude comment here and there, particularly when the discussion devolves onto the "shirtless, woodchopping orc".
Old 06-11-2012, 02:27 AM   #10
Sarumian
Wight

Sarumian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
White-Hand

Looks interesting...
Sarumian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:00 AM   #11
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar View Post
Great idea! Please include 'shirtless woodchopping orc,' as I think that it would lead to a very interesting discussion.

http://forum.barrowdowns.com/attachm...4&d=1141340845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
I shall throw in a rude comment here and there, particularly when the discussion devolves onto the "shirtless, woodchopping orc".
When I was first talking about this idea with some members, I kept stressing "No, Legolas is hotzzzes!" spam. And the normal response was "Oh, but we could have so much fun just spamming the movies page with Legolas fluff!"

I dread now shirtless, wood chopping orc will take over that role in these threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
I think Treebeard/Ents in general could be discussed. And I think your list does not include Eomer - I think he'd be an interesting one.
Noted and added.

I think I will just go ahead and post the Gandalf discussion now, before my day technically begins, because it promises to probably go down hill from here. Everything is ready, so no point in having people wait.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:45 AM   #12
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Figwit omg ftw.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:57 AM   #13
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

I've normally been opening the new threads Monday morning, but I'm getting back to recover from the beautiful and excellent wedding of Form and Nienna and have some work to catch up on. I'll likely get to it tomorrow morning. Thanks everyone, I hope they've been interesting and fun to read and post so far.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:11 AM   #14
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Good idea, Boro.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #15
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

My apologies all, it's been near insanity this month. I'll get Sam's thread up over the weekend.