The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2003, 07:36 PM   #161
Laitoste
Wight

Laitoste has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I wanna see!! I think the running Ring is cute. Yay!!
Old 12-22-2003, 09:51 AM   #162
Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dűm

Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I want the blue t-shirt! My alliegance is with the Elves, quite simply because I am an Elf... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Can't wait so see that pic...um, how are we going to get hold of our t-shirts? I mean, I'm in England, Morgul is in New Zealand, there are people in America...
Old 12-23-2003, 03:09 PM   #163
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Oh, good question, Elentari. [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]

Any thoughts? Maybe whoever makes them will just have to mail them out...after people pay for them, of course...

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~

*EDIT: Hey, my 1111th post! Go me!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] *

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 4:09 PM December 23, 2003: Message edited by: Sapphire_Flame ]
Old 12-23-2003, 03:22 PM   #164
Lossentilien
Wight

Lossentilien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Lol, am blue too.
I'd imagine it'd be easier if we could all print out the logo of the ring, buy our own t-shirts in the appropriate colour, and get the ring printed on the t-shirts at a printing shop. Have done it before for local bands and the like, it's cheap and easy. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Unless people wanted to make a profit... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-24-2003, 07:46 AM   #165
middleearthguy
Newly Deceased

middleearthguy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to middleearthguy Send a message via AIM to middleearthguy
Sting

I just got an Idea , based on what i've been reading the Extended Edition of RoTK will be over 5 hours long, It would be great to hold a Screening of that in Wellington for fans to come from all over for.
Old 12-24-2003, 04:50 PM   #166
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I suppose what we could do is set up "centers" in each country, run by a BDer, who makes the shirts. Then, the other BDers who live in that country can order it from their "local center." That would eliminate the snarkiness of having to order it internationally, because customs declarations, forms, etc. would have to be involved.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 08:54 PM   #167
Laitoste
Wight

Laitoste has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

What I was thinking was that someone could design the t-shirt, somehow send the design to those who want it, and we each could make our own t-shirt with fabric paint, embroidery (If you're really ambitious, not like me [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] ), whatever. I think that would be the easiest. Sorry about my last post, it was cut short because I got kicked off the computer. There was more that I wanted to say, but I forgot.
Old 12-25-2003, 12:07 AM   #168
Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dűm

Sting

Ok, that BD 'centre' (yes, it's centre...did you Americans drop your dictionary when you sailed over there?! Nah- just kidding...) sounds scary...not too keen on everyone knowing my address and stuff, and I'm not sure other BD's will want to give out their's...
Laitoste's idea sounds good. That'd be easiest, and our t-shirts would be kind of exclusive then...in the years to come we'll be famous...*sighs*. Ok, I'll shut up now...it's 5:47am on Christmas morning. I ought to be in bed! Only I can't sleep and I forgot to make my parents a Christmas card...
Old 12-26-2003, 10:19 AM   #169
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

Oi! It's not my fault that my parents forgot to pack the dictionary! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I think that's a better idea too. I suppose we could come up with an official website or something for the Golden Ring Marathon, but I'll have to delegate that duty to someone else because I'm horribly illiterate when it comes to making websites. At best, I can make a Geocities website. That's where my talents end. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Old 12-27-2003, 11:52 AM   #170
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Sting

An official website would be cool. Though I can't make such a thing either. If Morgul Queen (or everybody who has doodled/ drawn images) could send a pic or some kind of model of the logo and then we could print it and make our own shirts (or scarves or bags or what ever).
...Pretty much like other people have already said. So I agree that this could be the easiest way to get an own shirt.
Old 12-27-2003, 04:12 PM   #171
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

If we somehow got the time and resources, I bet that we could come up with a whole line of Golden Ring Marathon memorabilia (stationary, T-shirts, hats, scarves, sweatshirts, etc.).
Old 12-27-2003, 07:55 PM   #172
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Website? Sounds cool. Sure I will spread the word around my school and by annoying my friends untill they want to strangle me!!!!!!!!!
Frodo Lives!!!!!!!!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 12-28-2003, 04:08 PM   #173
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

Golden Ring Marathon scarf! Excellent! I think a Geocities website is about all we would end up with anyway. I mean, it would be kind of costly for someone to buy a domain for our project that doesn't really have any backing.... yet. The making and distribution of the image ofr everyone to personalize and use on memorabilia sounds like the best approach. Oh, and I still love the Golden Ring Marathon idea, but if you all don't mind, I'm going to stop advertising it in my signature for now. In summer 2005 we can all put it back in, but for the meantime I think we need to get some major planning underway before we do anymore advertisement.

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 04:34 PM   #174
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

Good idea. What exactly do we start out with, since we should start planning early?
Old 12-28-2003, 06:11 PM   #175
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

I don't know. I guess we should try to get theaters interested, if possible. Hopefully Morgul Queen will be able to contact PJ and all. We could maybe think about various activities or something that could give a kind of unity to the event. Maybe we could have some sort of moment where everyone in each timezone does something at the same time, or else at the same time in each time zone (ie, at three o'clock Greenwich Mean Time, three o'clock US Central Time, etc).

Has anyone realized how much of the day the marathon will take up? It might end up being as much as 12 hours, maybe more, counting all three EEs, breaks between them, and possible events.

Old 12-28-2003, 07:19 PM   #176
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

I have an idea.

Couldn't we ask one of our local universities if we could "borrow" or "rent" a lecture room for a day, so that we could do the Golden Ring Marathon? Many of us are going to be in uni by then, and thus, might be able to get to the "people in charge." I suppose if we offer to turn over part of our profits (if we get profits from selling tickets, refreshments, etc.) to the university, they might let us use a lecture hall. That way, we can show the movies and do other activities (board games, anyone?). I know that the seats in some lecture halls are notoriously uncomfortable, but I'm sure we could figure something out.
Old 12-28-2003, 07:24 PM   #177
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Good idea, Finwe. Thing is, do may of us have many friends we would want to invite? I only have a few. But would a university allow the general public to come in for the showing? Depends on which one, I guess.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 8:24 PM December 28, 2003: Message edited by: Luthien_ Tinuviel ]

Old 12-30-2003, 02:04 PM   #178
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

I suppose they might, once they see the magnitude of our idea. It would give them a LOT more publicity and perhaps some extra profits on the side if we sell things there.

If we asked some English professors (the ones involved with Medieval English, Medieval legends (Beowulf, etc.), Anglo-Saxon languages/peoples, etc.), I bet they might even give short presentations/lectures on some of the influences on Tolkien's mythos.
Old 12-31-2003, 03:22 PM   #179
Lossentilien
Wight

Lossentilien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Wow, that'd be amazing. If this really gets off the ground, maybe some of the cast/crew would be willing to participate. Assuming they had the time that is...
Plus if cinema's are involved, there's bound to be a few people with contacts, there are here anyway, so I'd imagine places like London would as well. And they could possibly run some kind of film talks about book to screen adaptions etc. technical process. There'd be a lot of interest in that...
Old 12-31-2003, 04:36 PM   #180
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Thing is, in lecture halls, anyway, I don't think we'd be allowed to charge admission, because we're not New Line, and there are all of the copyright laws and stuff. So we'd have to sell refreshments, and maybe take donations to help pay for the rent of the room or something like that.

Old 01-01-2004, 12:47 PM   #181
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

Oh, right, that's true. I suppose we could make some money selling refreshments. But I bet if we manage to talk to New Line, we could work something out. It's not as if the money is going for our personal profit or anything. It's going towards the rent of the room. Another possibility is, if we manage to scrape up the money somehow, we might be able to get one of those convention places. There's PLENTY of room there.
Old 01-01-2004, 01:18 PM   #182
Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dűm

Sting

Erm...what are convention places? (I'm sorry I sound so ignorant...but there aren't any around here as far as I'm aware). There's a University near me, and plenty of people in my school are into LOTR, though the number into it on my scale are...um...non-existent. Except maybe one? But yeah...there's a Uni near us, so if we could get this up and running it'd be cool. But how would we project the films? Would we be using projectors like in a cinema, or just a tv screen?! I think we should keep the number of places few to make more chance of actually meeting the costs of renting the hall. If we get too many places then participation will be low and we'll all lose out. So key areas with high accessibilty are important. I.e. motorway and rail links are darn useful...man, this could get to be a very big project! As long as we get it off the ground, that is...but also, coming to think of it, it'll be a weekday. And there is no way everyone is going to bunk off school... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] I think we might have to push it forward to the weekend or something. What say you?
Old 01-01-2004, 03:45 PM   #183
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

That's true.

The places that I was referring to are actually called Convention Centers, and most big cities usually have them. They're like auditoriums (sort of), and things like ComicCon are held there.
Old 01-01-2004, 04:22 PM   #184
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Yeah, I know what you're talking about, Finwe. I wasn't actually aware of them until I heard about one on the radio the other day, and thought, "Oh, so that's where they hold all of the conventions!" [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img] (Embarassed smiley). But wouldn't it cost a lot to rent a convention center? And Elentari's right, it might be better to do it on the preceeding weekend (or the following one), even though the date is a great idea, because we'd probably end up with a large percentage of high school and college students, who won't be able to easily take a day off school.

Old 01-02-2004, 07:38 PM   #185
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Another reason why you would want to move it to a weekend. Some people who live farther away from a certain location do have to get there.
As a highschool student you always have the parent problem.
They are probably thinking, oh why has my child gone so crazy? What have I done to deserve this.
I actually think my mom is getting to this point!
besides my mom would never let me go during a school day.
Old 01-03-2004, 04:44 PM   #186
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

I'd be out of school by then, so that's not an issue for me. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] It would be a good idea to move it to a weekend though; although Trilogy Tuesday did have a really good turnout, I heard. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

There's a LotR/fantasy store at the mall near where I live; I could probably talk to the owner and see if I could put some posters up in the store. And he could definitely help spread the word too! We can use all the help we can get!

Can't wait to see the Ring design!

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 01-03-2004, 09:13 PM   #187
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dűm

Morgul Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morgul Queen
Alright, I just got back from holiday and have several things to say:

* I have the premiere pics on my computer!
* I have got the Running Ring scanned!
* And I have several pics of the Tongariro National Park, which is where they filmed Mordor
* I don't know how to get pics from my PC onto this Forum. Help!

Oh..ummm....sorry girls, the ones of Viggo and Orli are slightly out of focus, they were too close to us [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Morgul Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 10:24 PM   #188
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

Hmmm... quite true. Perhaps what we could do is have the nice, big, "commercial" one on the weekend (preceding or following, we can decide that later), but have a small, private one, individually, on the actual weekday. That way, we can feel like we've celebrated in a group, but still celebrated on the day itself. We could issue Middle-earth-ish "guides" or something, for the individual Golden Ring Marathons.
Old 01-04-2004, 12:02 AM   #189
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Is it to late for me to join? (I hope not!) I would love to get involved with this, and I can do some basic web design, although nothing too fancy, if we want to have a site. Actually, domain names aren't that expensive- I've seen where you can get them for around $15/year (US). Also, the guy who did all the elvish, Khuzdul, Adunaic, Old English, etc. translations for the movies, David Salo, lives in my city. I've met him once and could possibly get him to help.

Rather off-topic, I would like to wish a very happy birthday to J.R.R. Tolkien, who is eleventy-two today, and my friend Rebecca, who is 32 (it's still the 3rd in my time zone). [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Edit:I saw RotK again today. It was absolutely beautiful. A true epic.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 1:04 AM January 04, 2004: Message edited by: Orominuialwen ]
Old 01-04-2004, 12:38 AM   #190
middleearthguy
Newly Deceased

middleearthguy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to middleearthguy Send a message via AIM to middleearthguy
Sting

Hey Welcome back Morgul Queen if you email me any pics you want posted to guy@jmicafe.co.nz i'll host them on my website and add links here to them for you.
Old 01-04-2004, 01:48 AM   #191
The Great Shadowfax
Pile O'Bones

The Great Shadowfax has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Great Shadowfax
Shield

Darn the weekdays! i wont be able to get out of school (my parents cant get off of work) and my teachers wont understand the importance of such a date! what is a fan to do? am i doomed to wait until the following saturday? it seems that is my fate...oh well. if i must wait then that saturday will be the grandest one i can make! i'm just sad i will have to substitute the weekend for the actual date...*sigh* [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
See you on the Great Plains in the sky!
-=all hail the Lord of the Horses=-
~Luindringiel~
~Pennsarnien~
The Great Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 11:56 AM   #192
Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dűm

Sting

Excellent...once you've sorted out getting those pics onto the forum, I WANNA SEE THE RUNNING RING PIC!!! (Read: the Orli pics... [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] ). But of course I want to see the Running Ring pic too...so important to our little group.

I think we should make a list of people who are involved in this now.

EDIT:
Ok, here we go:
People who have expressed an interest:

 ArathorofBarahir
 Cinderella
 Elennar Starfire
 ElentariGreenleaf
 Enorëiel
 Frodo2968thewhite
 Helín Anyára
 Kyle
 Lathiriel
 lore_master
 Nora
 Sauron_the_Abhorred
 The Great Shadowfax
 THE Ka
 The Only Real Estel

People who have contributed in some way to the running of this event and should be interested in continuing to do so:

 Aramantha_Daisy
 arianrod
 Arwen Eruantale (are you still out there?!)
 Arwen1858
 dancing spawn of ungoliant
 Elentári (me)
 elfearz1
 Finwe
 Laitoste
 Lossentilien
 Luthien_Tinuviel
 middleearthguy
 Morgul Queen
 Orominuialwen
 Sapphire_Flame

I've put both lists into alphabetical order, so as not to offend any one- sad to have to do so, but still.

If anyone wants to swap lists, just say. Not that this is in any way binding or something- it's just that we really ought to get organised...

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 1:37 PM January 04, 2004: Message edited by: Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1 ]
Old 01-04-2004, 06:36 PM   #193
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

I'm viewed as a contributor? I'm flattered! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Elentari's right. We really do need to get organized. I hope this doesn't turn out like so many other projects I've participated in: great ideas, and nothing is ever done about them. Morgul Queen, any more word from New Line and all that? I know Richard Taylor expressed an interest, but have you actually been able to follow up and get ahold of PJ & Co? I think the posters would be a good idea, Sapphire. I wish I had a store like that in my neighborhood.

Old 01-04-2004, 09:24 PM   #194
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

Hmmm... if we somehow got in contact with David Salo, through Orominuialwen, would that help? I have a feeling that having the backing of a recognized Tolkien "expert" would shoot our credibility up quite a few points. Of course, the more experts the better, and if we can get WETA into this as well, it would be absolutely perfect.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:06 AM   #195
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Sting

Thanks Elentári about that list! So there are quite many people in this project [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

If WETA got interested in this idea, they could maybe advertise it on their own homepage. I have put a link to this thread to a Finnish Tolkien site so I hope we can get more people involved.
Old 01-05-2004, 08:44 AM   #196
Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dűm

Sting

Yes! If we can get as many Tolkien sites interested as possible, and that David Salo guy...*smiles hopefully*

Right, we need to get hold of Morgul Queen. Morgul, where are you?! I'm glad people like the list. *Breathes a sigh of relief*.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:34 PM   #197
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

V. good list, Elentari! Thankies! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Oro, that would be really cool if we could get David Salo interested; a Tolkien expert backing could definitely help credibility.

To the people considering a website, I also know a few things about web design (not like I'm an expert or anything), but I could help out if need be. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Maybe we need to arrange some committees for this: Advertising, Web Crew, Contacts, etc. Could help things run smoother, you know.

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 01-05-2004, 02:46 PM   #198
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

Committees are definitely a must. Oh Luthien, where are youuuuuu?????
Old 01-07-2004, 08:01 PM   #199
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I will try to contact David Salo, at some point, although I have finals coming up, so it may not be until after those are done. He and his wife have a website which can be found here. If you would like to e-mail him, click on Caveat Lector, and then click on Email David. The one time I have met him, I asked whether he had heard of the 'Downs, but he said he hadn't. He does know the guy who runs Ardalambion, though. Oh and btw, for all you mini-Balrog owners, I figured out how to say "Shut up or I'll sic my Balrog on you!" in french. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] It's "Fermez la bouche ou je vais te siccer mon Balrog!" if your Balrog is male, and if it's female, you replace "mon Balrog" with "ma Balrog" PM me if you want to know how to pronounce it (I'm too lazy to write it out phoneticaly at the moment).

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 9:02 PM January 07, 2004: Message edited by: Orominuialwen ]
Old 01-08-2004, 12:18 PM   #200
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

I would really like to help out but I am kinda in the middle of Exams.
You might want to get a location by the way. If we want to invite people (Tolkien experts) they need to know where it is.