The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2014, 12:46 PM   #1
Einarr
Newly Deceased

Einarr has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Durin's Axe

What happened to Durin's Axe after it was lost in TA 2989? I'm not too sure if anything was written by Tolkien about it, and I wanted to see if you all knew anything about it.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:56 PM   #2
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einarr View Post
What happened to Durin's Axe after it was lost in TA 2989? I'm not too sure if anything was written by Tolkien about it, and I wanted to see if you all knew anything about it.
Since 2989 was, according to the Tale of Years, when Balin and his followers founded their colony in Moria, I assume you're referring to the "Durin's Axe" mention in the Book of Mazarbul.

I think that was probably a symbolic reference on the part of the book entry's author to reflect some heroic deed of a Dwarf in the fighting there with the Orcs. I doubt any actual axe owned by Durin was present.

And welcome to the Downs!
Old 07-30-2014, 11:49 AM   #3
Einarr
Newly Deceased

Einarr has just left Hobbiton.
Thanks for the warm greetings! That's an interesting stance on the Axe. I've been trying to do some deeper research on it. Hopefully I'll find something.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:45 AM   #4
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Silmaril

Welcome to the Downs, Einarr! It's always good to see people who are interested in Dwarves.

I suppose Durin's Axe is one object among many in Tolkien's writings that's mentioned but pretty much disappears afterwards. If you do find something please let us know though!
Old 07-31-2014, 11:28 AM   #5
Zigûr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigûr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigûr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Interestingly the online encyclopedias seem to like claiming that Balin's expedition recovered Durin's Axe, but all Gandalf says is "I can read no more for a long way... except the word gold, and Durin's Axe and something helm."

For all we know, the book said "We were unable to find Durin's Axe," or as Inzil has suggested, "Durin's Axe" may not have even referred to a particular object. I think people like the idea of Balin swinging this impressive heirloom, but it seems to me like it can't be read decisively either way. Perhaps it is possible that the "helm" referred to might be Durin's actual crown (as opposed to the one made of stars) but that's altogether conjectural. I suppose if the Dwarves did find Durin's Axe, it's possible that either the orcs took it back or it was buried with Balin.

It's an interesting inclusion given that while we hear a good deal about Dwarf-made weapons of note, especially those forged by Telchar, I believe this is one of the only if not the only instance of what might be a specifically identified weapon used by the Dwarves themselves (as opposed to, say, Gimli's axe). One imagines it might have been an heirloom of Durin's line. In any event, unlike the Last of the Seven, it did not escape Moria with Thráin I. If there was such an axe, presumably Náin I had it with him when he was slain by the Balrog.

Last edited by Zigûr; 07-31-2014 at 11:31 AM.
Zigûr is offline   Reply With Quote