The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2006, 11:09 AM   #1
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Barrow-Downers Map

I remember years ago there used to be a map showing where all the BDers were from. Now I'd like to try to do it again using this group map I created. I'm just curious to see how many BDers there are around the world. Be sure to place your mark!
Old 07-12-2006, 12:32 PM   #2
Laiudanama
Animated Skeleton

Laiudanama has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

There is still the Where is everyone from? thread, which has Amanaduial the Archer's list of people's real life locations. Hookbill the Goomba has also posted his own Barrowdowners map on that thread - although for some reason the places appear to have vanished...

Hope this helps - whichever map could be used, I suppose
Laiudanama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:55 PM   #3
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
The Barrow-Wight has a map also...it's been fairly recently posted in the Where is Everyone From? thread La-oo-ee so fortunately linked. I hate searching for those...
Old 07-12-2006, 01:07 PM   #4
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Where is Europe and the rest of the world??
Old 07-12-2006, 01:11 PM   #5
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Same place they always have been ... Europe is just across the channel from England..... And the rest of the world is in all directions... (again from England ) . When I click I get the world map....more seriously

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 02:15 PM   #6
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
This frappr map thing has seriously improved! I no longer have to 'live' in a pub at the back of the City Hall or in the middle of the road by the Uni! Even if it was, being in Yorkshire, a shoebox in't middle of said road.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:19 PM   #7
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
well I still have to live in the very coservative (after Danish standarts) and expensive Frederiksberg. . .

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 02:51 PM   #8
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
I agree Lal, this map is much more advanced than it was but I'm still not in the right location...My Eru, they'll never get it right, will they?
Old 07-12-2006, 03:14 PM   #9
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Hookbill the Goomba has also posted his own Barrowdowners map on that thread
Ah, I figured someone must have done a map by now. 'Tis strange that I could not find it. And that thread has become so long.... I remember the day when it was only three pages (one of the disadvantages of disappearing for two years).

Oh well, at least the maps are slightly different....
Old 07-12-2006, 03:41 PM   #10
Laiudanama
Animated Skeleton

Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwende
This frappr map thing has seriously improved!
Indeed - it actually works without having a hissy fit every time I try to zoom in. Huzzah!

I am, however, in a field. I mean, it's a field in the general proximity of my house, and a field soon to be converted, I believe, into someone's conservatory extension or something of the like....but it is still a field. Sigh...

p.s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celuien
La-oo-ee
Missed that the first time.

Last edited by Laiudanama; 07-12-2006 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:44 PM   #11
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyHallu
The Barrow-Wight has a map also...it's been fairly recently posted in the Where is Everyone From? thread La-oo-ee so fortunately linked. I hate searching for those...
The Barrow-Wight's map.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:09 AM   #12
Laiudanama
Animated Skeleton

Silmaril

Deary me, on the Barrow Wight's map, I am completely covered by Amanaduial the Archer until one zooms in to the actual road names. Pff!
Old 07-13-2006, 12:13 PM   #13
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Observing the maps, I noticed mostly everyone is from the UK, US, and Canada. There are very few other Europeans, yet I know there are more on the BD. And what about the Aussies? I find it rather strange that not a single person from Australia has labeled themself on any of the maps....
Old 07-13-2006, 12:23 PM   #14
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Not even on the older maps ?

Old 07-13-2006, 12:30 PM   #15
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Nope, I counted seven on the BW's map, five on Hookbill's, and one on mine who don't fall in the UK, US, and Canada category...
Old 07-13-2006, 12:34 PM   #16
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

That would be me That makes me special and therfor cool

Old 07-13-2006, 03:17 PM   #17
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I like the satellite imaging feature, I can see right into my attic window! And what places are like where Downers live! But this is an old image as my old neighbours' car is still there and they left two and a half years ago. I must've been out because my car's not there.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:56 PM   #18
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Wow, I hadn't checked the satellite version out until now. It's kind of freaky to be looking at your own house.

No one better stalk me. Actually, they can't- I'm moving away in a month.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:49 AM   #19
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
I like the satellite imaging feature ...
Quite amazing, isn't it ... and slightly scary too.

I finally get to see exactly where the flat roof mentioned in the survey on our house is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
But this is an old image ...
Indeed. The image omits two houses on our road that must have been built since it was taken.

My allocated location on the map, however, is the middle of a field some miles from my house. Which I rather like, although really it should be centered on the tall and most magical tree in a somewhat enchanted wood.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:01 AM   #20
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I'm assuming that the satellite used is the one on Google earth? I love that....I can see the trampoline in my garden.
Old 07-14-2006, 05:17 AM   #21
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

My pin has been very carefully positioned on the BW's map. Not exactly where I live, but close enough.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:05 AM   #22
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
Canon plug: Tolkien would've thought this was cool.

Google Earth is the coolest thing ever. It updates the satellite pictures often enough that I've been able to see the progress of construction in my hometown at about a six month to two year delay.

A lot of England is very low resolution images though. Annoying...I wanted to spy on people...

(At a two year delay, of course)
Old 07-14-2006, 07:46 AM   #23
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Is it the same imaging as Google Earth though? I've played with said program for countless hours while procrastinating (admiring the Eiffel Tower and the Pyramids from above, among other things) and my entire county is green fuzz. But I can zoom in on Brin's map to the nice close level of recognizing a pair of local lakes and seeing the very foggy gray line that is a state route a mile away from my house. Still not a lot of definition, but a lot more than green fuzz.

Edit: this is way cool. Looking at the next town over from me (new county, clear imaging), I can figure out almost exactly when these shots were taken.

Between three and two years ago (two 100+ foot trees are missing from my grandparents' farm; they aren't driving the right cars for it to be more recent; a store downtown isn't yet purchased by a man the town loathes: there is still business and no gas pumps).

Early spring; just before planting season (fields are clear, but not plowed or planted; Grandpa's garden is tilled and ready; he hasn't yet started the year's mowing in the private field).

Saturday (no cars at a few downtown businesses, but not nearly enough cars at local churches for it to be any time on Sunday).

Between 12:00PM and 3:00PM (shadows cast on the hill).

It comes down to maybe five Saturdays that it could possibly be. That's just cool.

Last edited by Feanor of the Peredhil; 07-14-2006 at 08:31 AM.
Feanor of the Peredhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 09:11 AM   #24
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
Is it the same imaging as Google Earth though?
Yes. Identical. At least as far as the locations I checked are concerned - same lorry turning at a junction in Raynes Park and same aircraft flying over the Devil's Puchbowl at Hindhead.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:38 AM   #25
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Now that you know exactly where I live, there's no excuse for not dropping in for a cup of tea if you ever venture up north.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:15 PM   #26
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Well I think that our neighbour built his new garage three summers ago so this has to be at least two years old but not much more.

Old 07-14-2006, 11:50 PM   #27
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Taralphiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Taralphiel
Now there is a lonely, red flag on the Eastern coast of Australia

I feel rather isolated now! *giggles*

EDIT: Do enjoy my silly dressups picture.

- Tara
Taralphiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 05:35 AM   #28
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Reminder Re Personal Safety

Since the maps are now so sensitive I think that this is a good moment to remind everyone that this is a public forum not a private one.

Though there is a relatively small and usually friendly core group of very active members there are a lot of lurkers. Sadly there is no guarantee that just because someone is interested in Tolkien they don't have less wholesome interests - sadly the fact that Tolkien is something that interests both adults and children may make a forum such as this of interest to people with extremely unwholesome interests.

You cannot assume that everything here is "as between friends" so I would recommend NOT placing your flag too close to your real address especially if you are a minor, female living alone, using your real name or have published identifying information (eg on the "Confessional " threads and photographs of yourself. This only echoes guidelines published elsewhere but I know we don't always look at them after we have first joined.

I don't want to be a kill joy but I just want people to think before they put up this kind of information. I know many RL friendships can develop from online starts and have had good personal experience of this but I have also met a few really nasty characters (even on Tolkien sites...) so make friends then once trust is established give them contact details if you wish. Be safe .

Mith

Last edited by Mithalwen; 07-15-2006 at 05:42 AM.
Old 07-15-2006, 07:56 AM   #29
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
This is a great point Mith. However, this map is still so stupid that it still dosen't put people in the right location. But you still bring up a great point. BE SAFE!!!
Old 07-15-2006, 08:22 AM   #30
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

If you register with Frappr, you can move your pin anywhere you'd like. That function works fairly well now.

Mith's advice is very good. My pin has never really shown where I am exactly. I fully intend to puzzle any anonymous stalkers out there by continually moving the marker to new locations as they strike my fancy.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:27 AM   #31
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I'll echo the sentiment.

Google is a wonderful tool, but could be extremely dangerous in the wrong hands. Be careful.

An example of my worry: my friends and I once, after having watched one too many James Bond films, decided to test our tracking ability. We had a person's home phone number; nothing else, not even his name (he'd called my friend's cell and she didn't recognize the number). Google provided with his name and home address; Google Earth provided us with a satellite image of the street. The man's wife told us, when we called to see why this man had called, that he was in the pool and asked if she could take a message; that one word, pool, lowered the number of potential houses to two.

Not everybody has collegiate curiosity as an explanation for their lurking. Be careful what information you offer.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:45 AM   #32
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I was thinking exactly along those lines myself.
Also, I thought I'd point out to anyone who put their pin on one of the old maps on the forum, the satellite facility also seems available on those now, so people might want to re-check that the information now being offered by these maps is not more than they feel happy about.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:32 AM   #33
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
I wanted to put my location pin in Atlantis but could'nt find it, so I will have to look for Lemuria instead.............
Old 07-15-2006, 12:01 PM   #34
Balin999
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Balin999 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Balin999
Just a question, do I have to register there or can I put my name on there without registration?

...The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, but conformity...

...Everything is possible, except to ski through a revolving door...
Balin999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 02:53 PM   #35
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balin999
Just a question, do I have to register there or can I put my name on there without registration?
You can put yourself on the map without registering, but if you want to be able to move your pin later, you have to register.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:05 AM   #36
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glirdan
However, this map is still so stupid that it still dosen't put people in the right location.

Well I was just about to stick my flag on my car when I decided it wasn't such a great idea.... and so I chose a local landmark instead as a neutral place that was nevertheless significant to me

Old 07-17-2006, 08:45 AM   #37
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up Again?

Are we ever going to decide on one map to use and to stick to it?

Oh, and when I saw 'Barrow Downers map' I assumed it would be something like this:

Old 07-17-2006, 11:44 AM   #38
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Nice map. The sat image is a couple years old or so, though.

My marker is on my house.

Stalkers, schmalkers... I doubt I'll be bothered by any.

If I am, that'll give me a chance to try out some of my new torturing equipment I ordered for my secret underground lair.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:21 PM   #39
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom
Nice map. The sat image is a couple years old or so, though.

My marker is on my house.

Stalkers, schmalkers... I doubt I'll be bothered by any.

If I am, that'll give me a chance to try out some of my new torturing equipment I ordered for my secret underground lair.
You also aren't a single, young female.

Or so we have been given every reason to assume.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:23 PM   #40
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil
You also aren't a single, young female.

Or so we have been given every reason to assume.
That could absolutely ruin my day. Phantom, love of my life, please say it ain't so!