The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-05-2008, 06:27 AM   #1
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield Tol-in-Gaurhoth LI: The Pain of Wargs

The Warg Elders had gathered in their hidden location, a place that has remained undiscovered by Men to this day. Some Elvish scholars had claimed that it disappeared in the ruin of Beleriand; other adventurers sought it at the expense of all their days, in vain, far in the East of Middle-earth. It was never found, but the tales of happenings therein had been received by friends of Wargs, and so comes this story.

The Elders were leaders of Wargs. Great in wisdom and honour, they guided their kin as parents. Councils were held in their sanctuary in times of importance, and now a seminal gathering was demanded, as the so-called War of Wrath was coming to Middle-earth. The part of the Wargs in the war and its aftermath would be pivotal.

These Wargs were named in the traditions of their time and place, which has not been well-studied by our contemporaries. Thus, the names of the Wargs mentioned are renderings of the true names, and phonologically altered to suit the inferior human tongue.

Now, there was one, whom we shall call Eomer of the Rohirrim, who held great stock in ancient prophecies. As it should happen, now was the time for a realisation of one. For years leading up to the council, he had warned his followers that treachery was afoot, and exasperated his fellows with pleas for caution. His family had given to him a tale of deceit which had always worried him, a tale of murder and the death of Wargs, wrought by such powerful foes. Eomer thought the council a terrible idea at this time, and tried to make his friends believe, but the Wargs had seen prophecies come and go without incident, and saw not why they should worry about the power of any potential enemies. For who is more powerful than the Warg?

Please do not post on this thread yet.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:15 PM   #2
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

He was almost giddy as the night crept nearer. In pairs they come! he would repeat. Two to spill blood on the sacred ground! They bring terror and death. One night, a second and yea! a third, of this I know. But what follows! Two will follow, after the third night, great enemies! Their war beats and tramples us, and brings about that dread circumstance: the pain of Wargs is here. Two amoral forces, to subvert all others. The twain will come, at the behest of their following master, and his foe is at their heels. The pain of Wargs is the only certainty.

Old 10-05-2008, 01:59 PM   #3
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Shield

Night 1 is starting now. The two enemies of Wargs may talk and scheme, and the one gifted Warg may utilise its power. There is no need for the other gifted Warg to do aught this night.

Day 1 will begin Monday 11PM (GMT+1).

Remember to turn your profile to invisible.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:42 PM   #4
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Shield

The Wargs appeared from their quarters to begin their discussions. They were eager to decide upon the path the Wargs should take, during and after the war. It was clear that the world was to be greatly changed. So to, though, was their traditional council. A trail of blood led from the centre of their hallowed stone circle to the easterly chambers.

At the end of the trail lay Eomer, torn to shreds on the ground. The walls of his room were decorated with scratches, for he had marked his final surroundings with the reflections of his panicked mind. They told of the prophecy he would recite repeatedly. Chilling prose, of which the Elders were familiar with. Some new scraps of information were among the bleak words, indications of special Wargs, with hidden powers: one to see the truth , and one to protect the innocent. But again the pairs, and again the pairs, who would come to bring murder…

Last edited by Eomer of the Rohirrim; 10-06-2008 at 02:46 PM.
Eomer of the Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 02:46 PM   #5
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Shield The players

Legate of Amon Lanc
Thinlómien
Kitanna
Kath
Nogrod
Gwathagor
Shastanis Althreduin
SamwiseGamgee
Brinniel
Mithalwen
Diamond
Groin Redbeard
Gollum The Great
Rune Son of Bjarne
Gaunt

Day 1 has begun. Decide who to lynch. There will be no double-lynches. In the event of a tie, the first player to reach the necessary number of votes will be killed.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:02 PM   #6
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
All right. It's late, but this be a first post (maybe...), so I will do it and go to bed.

What do we know. There's 15 of us. Two are some Gifteds, possibly a Seer and maybe either a Ranger or a Hunter-like fella (if not really just simple Ranger or Hunter); and two are awful terrrible trrraitors, wuhurrrahahahrrr... *add Wargish curses*

What does it mean? Absolutely nothing. Which is exactly what these traitors are going to become, wuhurrahahahahrrr... (I started to kinda like that word... if you can call it a word).

What else? Nothing. Let us add some rant. Yada, yada, I haven't played with some people at all, yada, yada, so I don't know what to expect from them, and I will be probably rather careful with judging them until I get some general idea, although now thinking of that, I haven't played for a while, so maybe I will have to refresh my thoughts on everyone, so maybe no one has advantage over the others.

What more, maybe it's actually good. I have been cleaned of prejudices... ...maybe

That would be it from me for now (unless somebody crossposted with me and said something interesting and replyworthy). Good night, and good Day.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 03:06 PM   #7
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I'm here even though it's past midnight and I have school tomorrow. Obvious conclusion: I'm either wolf or gifted if I'm that enthusiatic about this game. (Real conclusion: I have been distracted from going to sleep this far. Obvious interpretation: I have been sending wolf PMs. Real interpretation: I'm easily distracted by MSN and especially certain people... Obvious summary: I must be something special as I'm this weird. Real summary: I'm secretly tried. Ok I'll stop! That was just a bit hypnotic...)

What else? I'm slightly baffled by this setting. So, we have a seer and a ranger, that much is clear. And then we now have two wolves, right? And two more will come after Night3? Hmmm... makes me wonder how it will affect the dynamics of this game... We will have four wolves, which is not nice, and on top of that, we will have less evidence about two of them... not good at all. But on the other hand, if we're extra smart and lucky, we can win this game very easily... A nice challenge, I'd say.

edit: xed with Legate
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:02 AM   #8
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Okay, having nothing to do, I made a reflection of the horrible (interpretate in whichever sense suits you) prophecy.

Interpretation follows:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim View Post
He was almost giddy as the night crept nearer. In pairs they come! he would repeat. Two to spill blood on the sacred ground! They bring terror and death.

Two traitors in the beginning.

Quote:
One night, a second and yea! a third, of this I know. But what follows! Two will follow, after the third night, great enemies!
First and second night normal course of action, after third night, two more traitors appear...

Quote:
Their war beats and tramples us, and brings about that dread circumstance: the pain of Wargs is here. Two amoral forces, to subvert all others. The twain will come,
...who seem to belong to a different team. I.e. two Wolf teams who "battle each other". Makes good sense for balance. (Four, yet also of course may go against each other...)

Quote:
at the behest of their following master, and his foe is at their heels. The pain of Wargs is the only certainty.
Now only this is very cryptic part. I don't know about you, but what I think of is a "master" on the side of the baddies (both?), and a "Hunter", or what? Master=Cobbler, as it was sometimes? Or will he join both the teams? Or something totally different? And WHEN? Or is it just some poetic babbling?

The first seems okay: two wolves now, two teams after Night 3. Or so I would read it. That would be reasonable for the game setting. The end is baffling. I say we don't bother, unless somebody has a good interpretation for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim View Post
But again the pairs, and again the pairs, who would come to bring murder…
This is also kind of weird. But I thought the "again" is supposed to stand against the former text, which wrote about the Gifteds, so it means no more than "there are two who will help you, but again (sic), there are the pairs (2+2 wolves)... Hmm... now seeing it, the second "again the pairs", unless it's poetic repetition, is really weird.

Okay, anyway, I wanted to clear this up also for myself. The two wolf teams seem probable. Do you think... do you actually think, I now got an idea, that the wolves wouldn't actually kill at all, but "mutate" the others to wolves too? That could make understandable the "pairs and again pairs" forming... I know, it's quite overstretching it, but I'm merely thinking aloud... although "blood spilled" would speak for kills... or then it could be to lynches... or, when a wolf targets a wolf to kill, only THEN the wolf will be killed... okay, nonsense. That'd be too much, and Eomer would've told us if it were to be THAT complicated. (Well, he may still do so in the Evening.) But I was merely thinking.

EDIT: Hm, this makes weird italics up there, but no idea how this can be fixed. Just ignore it then.

Anyway, I am probably going to let this for you here to chew now... and be back later. Where are all these Groins, Nogrods, Gaunts and all?
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories

Last edited by Legate of Amon Lanc; 10-07-2008 at 04:07 AM.
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:49 AM   #9
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
So, most of what is being discussed is Eomer's "pairs and pairs" prophecy and how we should take it. Since that is the main topic of discussion it's hard to form opinions on anyway. Lommy appears to be the only one who has put forth any sort of accusation and she points her finger at everyone so not a whole lot to go off of there.

Legate is being quite helpful in helping us decipher this riddle left, but we can ponder all day about the pairs Eomer is talking about and not really accomplish anything.

Legate: Sort of innocent, helpful, bordering on too helpful, but he may actually be the one who cracks the prophecy and gets it right, which good or evil could quite possibly benefit us later.
Lommy: Sort of innocent, stirred away from the prophecy ideas and contributed something that could provide decent fodder for later.
SamGam, Gwath, and Gollum: Not so innocent, but not so guilty either. After Legate's first long post of picking apart the pairs hint left by Eomer these three took up the same cause to analyze it. Sometimes the restating of ideas like this is because people want to see it in their own words or they're hiding something by jumping on an innocent idea that will make them look helpful.

That's all I have for now. I'll be back in a few hours.