The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2016, 08:17 AM   #801
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
1420!

Cheers, Legate! You are an excellent representative of the spirit of the Downs that has kept me coming here for longer than I ever would have expected from an internet forum.

Here's to another 10.
Old 11-15-2016, 08:48 AM   #802
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Galadriel55 is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Galadriel55 is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Seconded! Congratulations on the double digits!
It's weird to think that I've been dead longer than you were when I first joined. It seemed like everyone has been around so much longer.

And I wonder what it says about me that I also found the Downs through an unrelated Google search, and had to stick my not too well thought out opinion into the first thread I saw. Your story is way better, and as you say, you can always blame the Holy Spirit.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 01:12 PM   #803
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Pitchwife is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Pitchwife is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Pitchwife is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
White-Hand

Thirded! Happy deathday, Legate, rest in peace and may the Fff-, er, Flame of Anor always be with you! Thank you for the story of your first visit to the Downs - the subject of your query strikes me as characteristic of both yourself and the forum, which has always been a good place to explore the spiritual and philosophical ramifications of Tolkien's legendarium. I also took the time to dig up your old trhead about Saruman's interest in the Shire and couldn't help smiling at the discussion of Saruman's smoking habit, which reminded me of my own first post here, answering a riddle of yours about this very subject.

Belated condolences also to G55, sally, Nerwen and Agan (how could I have missed this?)!
Old 11-15-2016, 02:27 PM   #804
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc has passed beneath the Argonath.Legate of Amon Lanc has passed beneath the Argonath.Legate of Amon Lanc has passed beneath the Argonath.Legate of Amon Lanc has passed beneath the Argonath.Legate of Amon Lanc has passed beneath the Argonath.Legate of Amon Lanc has passed beneath the Argonath.
Thank you all for the warm, ee, cold wishes It has been truly a gift to be in such a company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
I also took the time to dig up your old trhead about Saruman's interest in the Shire and couldn't help smiling at the discussion of Saruman's smoking habit, which reminded me of my own first post here, answering a riddle of yours about this very subject.
Now you made me look it up, and I got sort of stuck reading the surrounding couple of pages. What fun! What a thread! And what an entry from you
"But it is not your own Shire," said Gildor. "Others dwelt here before hobbits were; and others will dwell here again when hobbits are no more. The wide world is all about you: you can fence yourselves in, but you cannot for ever fence it out."
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 02:28 PM   #805
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Thinlómien is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Thinlómien is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Thinlómien is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Thinlómien is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Thinlómien
Well, I'm very glad you decided to join.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 09:56 PM   #806
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Three cheers for Legate!

\o/ \o/ \o/ Huzzah! \o/ \o/ \o/

Kuruharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 10:07 PM   #807
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Galadriel55 is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Galadriel55 is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan View Post
Three cheers for Legate!

For some reason this reminded me of the scene in Macbeth where the three witches make their prophecies.

Hail Legate, the guest of Galadriel in Lothlorien.

Hail Legate, who passes beneath the Argonath.

Hail Legate, who shall be...
I don't know what's the next reputation level, and couldn't find it anywhere. Well, that wasn't a very good prophecy, was it?
Old 11-16-2016, 09:41 AM   #808
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Hail Legate, who shall be... I don't know what's the next reputation level, and couldn't find it anywhere. Well, that wasn't a very good prophecy, was it?
We'll just have to give him more rep until we find out...

Last edited by Kuruharan; 11-16-2016 at 09:41 AM. Reason: I found a new and exciting way that the code can be broken.
Kuruharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 06:01 PM   #809
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc has passed beneath the Argonath.Legate of Amon Lanc has passed beneath the Argonath.Legate of Amon Lanc has passed beneath the Argonath.Legate of Amon Lanc has passed beneath the Argonath.Legate of Amon Lanc has passed beneath the Argonath.Legate of Amon Lanc has passed beneath the Argonath.
Thank ye, dear fellow wights. Much appreciated.

As for reps, I believe there is something about being lost at Emyn Muil, but maybe that comes only later or I am just making it up.
"But it is not your own Shire," said Gildor. "Others dwelt here before hobbits were; and others will dwell here again when hobbits are no more. The wide world is all about you: you can fence yourselves in, but you cannot for ever fence it out."
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 06:45 PM   #810
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
As for reps, I believe there is something about being lost at Emyn Muil, but maybe that comes only later or I am just making it up.
I guess no one has gotten lost yet.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:06 AM   #811
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Estelyn Telcontar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Dear me, I have become so treeish here that I completely missed my 15th death day last month! I may neglect this site, life being what it is, but I will never forget it and the role it has played in my life. Why, right now I am writing a chapter for an upcoming book on Middle-earth and music!

Without the Downs, I would never have made so many friends in real life, both Downers and other fans with whom I came into contact because it all started here. I would not be a published author (non-fiction) and I would certainly not have learned so much about the internet and how to use at least some of it! My book shelves would be emptier and so would have been many delightful hours I spent discovering new aspects of Tolkien and his works. And I would not have travelled to some of the wonderful places I have seen, either visiting friends or seeing Middle-earthian sights.

So here's to the Downs, which will be 17 years old soon - almost of age in modern human terms. May it live - oops! - moulder in peace for many years to come!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:24 AM   #812
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Happy D-Day, Esty! You really should come around more often (said the pot to the kettle).