The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2015, 09:38 PM   #2001
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Galadriel55 is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Galadriel55 is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Oh I can assure you that however you look(ed) and talk(ed), it's nothing compared to what I saw in that dream! When I say vulgar, I mean... well, jaw-droppingly bad, and not just swearing but a general emptiness of language, like inane phrases and chatspeak and such. I just cannot see you coming anywhere close to that.

I did not find out the identity of the old rich man, so Gil-Galad it is.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 06:12 AM   #2002
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Pitchwife is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Pitchwife is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Pitchwife is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Question Other Dream Mithology and London Traffic

I had a Barrow Downs dream last night and another about a week ago which I haven't posted yet.

In the first one I was driving a rented car through London (a feat I'd be very reluctant to attempt in real life, as I hate having to manúuver in city traffic) en route from hotel to airport. Naturally I got lost and found myself in a backstreet with no idea how to get to the airport. A car in front of me turned right into a garage (this city was obviously only dream!London, as we were all driving on the continental side of the street), and just as I was passing it some people got out and I recognized Hookbill and Kath among them (the rest were unfamiliar). I stopped, tyres screeching, and we had a joyful surprise meeting. Right then I remembered that I had forgotten half my luggage at the hotel, but Hook and Kath were very sweet and helpful and informed the airport that I was going to be late while I phoned the hotel and convinced them to send the luggage directly to the airport. Unfortunately I woke up before we'd had much time to talk.

The other dream occurred tonight and involved Mithadan, whom I've never met nor interacted with a lot on the Downs. He contacted me because my wife's aunt, of all people, was to give a TV or radio presentation about Tolkien. Since Auntie has hitherto shown little interest in the Professor's work, Mith suggested the two of us ghostwrite it for her. We met at someone else's conspiratorial flat, and Mith, who looked a bit like a Beat poet and a bit like a defrocked priest, informed me we would have to do some original research at a nearby church/castle. Exploring it, we discovered a system of secret passages which kept narrowing until we could only squeeze through sideways, walking like Egyptians. Just as we finally reached a wide open hall my alarm clock rung.
Old 01-24-2016, 02:25 PM   #2003
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Galadriel55 is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Galadriel55 is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
This one was too amusing to keep to myself ;)

Today's dream, partially inflicted by Star Wars and partially by this thread, suddenly got a Barrow Downs twist.

A cruise ship belonging to the Empire with lots of passengers on board had some sort of accident not too far from shore. The ship sunk, but most of the passengers were able to swim/float to shore. However, because the Empire is inherently evil, they programmed the ship to release large portions of some deathly microorganism if it is destroyed. However, that organism selectively targeted certain racial groups. As a result, upon reaching the shore, most people just got up and walked away, but all Native Americans (yeah...) already were infected by this freakish pathogen and were lying on the sand, unconscious with fever. Meanwhile, Luke Skywalker and friends came to the nearby settlement to rid it of the Empire's presence. They discovered the deathly ill Native Americans, and briefly speculated about the nature of the pathogen. Before leaving the place, Luke appointed a person to govern the town and oversee the care of the Native Americans. When he was saying that, he mentioned the name of the town. It sounded somewhat like Omaha, and at that moment I realized that the person appointed as its governor was The Phantom. The end.

*bows*

I'd love to know more about this horrifying microorganism. It must be able to thrive in ocean water and travel quickly. Since its effect came several minutes after exposure, it was probably releasing some super strong toxins into the bloodstream (perhaps potent vasodialators, leading to a septic shock? Or neurotoxins?). All that the people in my dream said was that it was transferred with fluids and that "it's not AIDS" (by which I assume Luke meant HIV). Also, they speculated that the method of infection was swallowing small amounts of contaminated seawater while swimming to shore. Now that's some bio warfare!

Last edited by Galadriel55; 01-24-2016 at 02:34 PM.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:17 PM   #2004
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

A few nights ago I had a dream that once in Edinburgh, I will be lodging together with Hookbill and Steve in a trailer. The two gentlemen showed up in said trailer here in Canada and camped out for a while, and assured me that I'm welcome to share the trailer with them once I come to Edinburgh. It might be a bit cramped, they said, but living costs are way cheaper, and you don't have to pay the property tax. I accepted their kind offer. After hanging out for a couple days, they went back to Edinburgh in their trailer. Over the Atlantic. Apparently, it's quite the trailer.
Old 10-02-2016, 12:51 AM   #2005
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
It's the Moot Trailer! Can this happen please?
Old 10-05-2016, 11:21 AM   #2006
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

The mental image of them bravely sailing across the Atlantic in the trailer is priceless.

I picture Hookbill at the tiller and Steve gallantly clinging to the TV antenna trying to keep watch.
Kuruharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:57 PM   #2007
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan View Post
The mental image of them bravely sailing across the Atlantic in the trailer is priceless.

I picture Hookbill at the tiller and Steve gallantly clinging to the TV antenna trying to keep watch.
My hand slipped.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:50 PM   #2008
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Pitchwife is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Pitchwife is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Pitchwife is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
After hanging out for a couple days, they went back to Edinburgh in their trailer. Over the Atlantic. Apparently, it's quite the trailer.
Are you sure they weren't driving Mount Zoom?
Old 10-05-2016, 06:48 PM   #2009
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
Are you sure they weren't driving Mount Zoom?
Eambar maybe?

PS: apparently I repped you too recently, Agan. That was great!
Old 10-06-2016, 01:22 AM   #2010
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

I had a dream Mith worked in my office.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:50 AM   #2011
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I had a dream Legate came over for lunch in what was supposed to be my parent's new place. We started talking about books (duh), one thing led to another and I ended up transferring to his computer all the Russian books I've saved up as pdfs, including the entire Harry Potter series.

You're welcome, Legate. If any of you want a pdf of a book you can't find in the library...
Old 12-21-2016, 03:08 PM   #2012
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
I had a dream Mith worked in my office.
Was I grumbling about the heating, badgering people about invoices, cursing the photocopier and saying "Fine" in the way that doesn't mean "That's okay" but rather "Well if that is your attitude, prepare for Shock and Awe"?
Old 03-07-2017, 05:27 AM   #2013
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I had a dream that birthday celebrations at Pitch's place started a couple months early, and Downers were already gathering there with the plan of hanging around and partying on until July, which made Mrs. Pitch rather unhappy. I arrived too, and met some of the Finland delegation, Faramir Jones, and other unnamed Downers - and of course Pitch, who also seemed overwhelmed from entertaining guests for such a long time. At that point I realized that I was supposed to do a whole lot before coming there, and told the Downers that I would have to go back to Edingurgh "because all my stuff is still there. Oh, and I have two more months of classes". They suggested I "call in sick and stay until Monday night". I thought that's a good idea, but I couldn't for the life of me recall what day of the week it is now and what I'd be missing between now and Monday. Meanwhile, Agan was trying to show me what Finnish sounds like, but she kept picking borrowed words that basically sound like accented English. It was at that moment that we learned that war broke out, so everyone began studying the ranks and epaulettes of the officers (of what army? Well, the one fighting the war, of course!). Then we learned an interesting fact about the Finnish army (who was not, for the record, fighting the war). Apparently they have a semi-autonomous section lead by a medium-rank officer, and all their epaulettes, instead of having the usual stripes or stars or dots and stuff, have a unicorn head.