The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2012, 04:33 PM   #1
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
WW: XCVIII ~ Death at the Foot of Taniquetil

In the days of peace in Valinor a dark evil has grown among Elves and Valar alike. Assumed to be the result of an evil work of Melkor, previously non-violent Elves have turned upon each other in vicious ways. Many of the inhabitants of the land have fled to the relative safety of the mountain home of Manwe. However, at the foot of the mountain, danger lurks in one small village ...

Roles

Wolves (3): The wolves do not know who their fellows are. Each Night each wolf may choose one villager to dream about. If a wolf dreams of a fellow wolf they are then allowed to PM. If they dream of a non-wolf they are informed that villager is innocent regardless of special role. During the Nights when the wolves do not know their fellows each wolf sends a list of three names to the Mod in preferential order. If the same name appears on more than one list that villager is killed. If no name appears more than once there is no kill. When two wolves are aware of each other they jointly send a list and the lone wolf sends a list and the same thing happens. Once all the wolves know each other the kill proceeds as usual.

Feanor (Seer): Consults the stones each Night. Informed of the role of any villager xe dreams.

Manwe (Ranger): May protect one villager during the Night.
This role is negotiable. If we think the village will have too much power with the wolves not knowing each other to begin with we can drop the Ranger.

Votes: Votes are not retractable. To be considered valid, each vote must be bolded and preceded by two plus signs, like this:

++Kath

In the event of a tie, the lynchee will be chosen at random from among the top vote-getters.

Other Rules: Anybody who does not post for an entire day or does not vote for two days in a row will be modfired unless they provide a good reason on the Admin Thread.

The deadline will be 10pm GMT. This is pretty much non-negotiable as it has to work around school for me.

Player wise I think at least 12 players would be good to give the wolves having to find each other at least a little tough. Probably not more than 15 so it isn't impossible.

Sign up is open from now. Roles are welcomed. We won't be starting before Monday 1st October as I am away the weekend before that.

Please remember if you don't think you have time to play or don't wish to play but would like to be a guest narrator then let me know! I'm not a great one and would love some of the wonderful writers out there to get involved.

Players:
Rune
Greenie
Shasta
G55?
sally
Boro
Pom
Nerwen
Coppermirror
skip spence
MCR

Last edited by Kath; 10-02-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Yeah so I forgot to write Admin Thread in the title! I'll make sure the game thread is clearly marked in the title so we don't get confused later on. Please do sign up in this thread.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:57 PM   #3
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I would love to play.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:12 PM   #4
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I will most likely be able to play, unless teachers decide to dump a heap of work on me unexpectedly right at that time. I'm a bit worried that this will happen because I have more work this year than I had before, and it's not rush time yet... So please put me down as a question mark.

I really like the new concept, so it would be a shame if I will have to skip this game...
Old 09-22-2012, 05:50 PM   #5
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I'll signup, but I have a question. It looks as if, once two of the three wolves know each other, the chance for a successful kill actually drops. Why is that?
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:54 PM   #6
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Oooo, I am loving your wolf setup, my dear. I'm in, though I doubt I'll be very talkative.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:58 AM   #7
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Count me in!
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:06 AM   #8
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Not quite following you Shasta. When the wolves don't know each other only one person dies each Night - and only if a name appears on more than one of their lists. Once they all know each other it reverts to normal - the wolves get a kill each Night unless the Ranger stops them.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:53 AM   #9
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Sign me up too please.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:45 AM   #10
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
Not quite following you Shasta. When the wolves don't know each other only one person dies each Night - and only if a name appears on more than one of their lists. Once they all know each other it reverts to normal - the wolves get a kill each Night unless the Ranger stops them.
I think what he means is that there's less chance of a name to appear twice on 2 lists than on 3 (when 2 wolves found each other but one is still alone versus all of them alone).

Does the order of the names carry any weight? And what happens if on list1 DownerX is first and DownerY is second, and on list2 DownerY is first and DownerX is second? How do you decide between them? Also, what carries a greater weight, the order on the list or the number o times a name appears (eg.: if DownerX appears as 3rd place on all 3 lists, but DownerY appears twice as 1st place)?

Also, when 2 wolves find each other, do they each still send a dream, or is it a joint dream, or do they not dream at all and it is up to the lone wolf to find them?
Old 09-23-2012, 10:18 AM   #11
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Ah thanks G55 I see the point now. It does make it slightly harder. However if the wolves who have found each other were allowed to send a list each then they would have a definite kill - as they could simply put the same name on both lists having agreed on it. They could also end up killing their third wolf that way having never discovered who they were. To make up for the perhaps lower kill chance, they are able to share and spread their dreams so it is more likely they will find their third member.

If this still seems drastically unfair then once two wolves have found each other they could put 4 names on the lists.

Yes the order of the names is important but so is how often they appear. For example:

Wolf 1: Shasta, G55, Boro

Wolf 2: Shasta, Boro, G55

Wolf 3: sally, Boro, Greenie

So although Shasta was top of two lists Boro appeared on all three. Therefore Boro would be killed.

Wolf 1: Shasta, Greenie, Boro

Wolf 2: Boro, Greenie, Shasta

Wolf 3: Greenie, Boro, Shasta

Here Greenie would be killed. Assume third place = 1 point, second place = 2 points and first place = 1 point. So Boro overall has 6 points, Shasta has 5 points and Greenie has 7.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:00 AM   #12
Pomegranate
Wight

Pomegranate is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Ahh, count me in Sounds exciting.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:52 PM   #13
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Well, it looks like I'll have some time to play now, so sign me up, please.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:13 PM   #14
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I just looked at my schedule, and if the game starts after, say, October 4, I might have to drop out. I don't have a day without a test or performance of some sort in the middle of the month, and I'm likely to get other assignments on top of that. If I'll also be playing at the same time, I might as well prepare myself not to close my eyes at all for the rest of the month. I just won't be able to handle it.

Therefore my fingers are crossed that we get the right number of players soon.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:29 PM   #15
Coppermirror
Shade of Carn Dûm

Coppermirror is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The timing isn't bad for this game...and I love the idea of the wolves not knowing who the others are!

Please count me in with a question mark. If the game starts too late, I might possibly have to drop out. If I do play I won't have nearly as much spare time as I did the week when I played my first game, so I'll be quieter, but it should still be all right.
Coppermirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:56 AM   #16
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Manwe (Ranger): May protect one villager during the Night.
This role is negotiable. If we think the village will have too much power with the wolves not knowing each other to begin with we can drop the Ranger.
Kath, I'm concerned this game is indeed going to be stacked against the wolves– but on the other hand, they *might* find each other very early, and then of course the village would be in a bad way, with no Ranger at all. How about making Manwe a modified Ranger– perhaps with a chance of failure? Or else one that doesn't become active until all wolves have made contact?
Old 09-25-2012, 10:51 AM   #17
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'd like to play unless the game starts in the next few days which would be too soon for me. But if you wanna go ahead, don't worry, just go ahead!
Old 09-25-2012, 11:49 AM   #18
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

I like that idea Nerwen. Or perhaps simply that the Ranger role doesn't come into play until all three wolves have found each other?

Ahem - will read the whole post next time. Ok, Ranger only starts protecting once all three wolves have found each other.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:02 AM   #19
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Bumping this thread up in hopes of a few more people signing up
Old 09-30-2012, 02:31 PM   #20
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

We have 10 players. If we can get another two in then we can start at any point from now.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:45 PM   #21
MCRmyGirl4eva
Shade of Carn Dûm

MCRmyGirl4eva has just left Hobbiton.
I'd love to play. What roles are open? I was reading this and got a bit confused about what's still available...
Old 10-01-2012, 04:12 PM   #22
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

MCR the roles aren't given out until the game begins. You cannot choose a role beforehand as otherwise the other players would know what you have and the game wouldn't work!

If you sign up then once the game starts you will be PM'd your role.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:48 PM   #23
MCRmyGirl4eva
Shade of Carn Dûm

OK. I'll play then. Never RP'd on this site, the rules are different on some other sites. But I'll play
Old 10-02-2012, 03:55 PM   #24
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

MCR, this is not an RPG. There's a separate sub-forum for that.

This is a Werewolf game. Take a look at the general guidelines: http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=16791

Here we don't RP, we massacare each other. I mean, you could still do some in-character posts, but mostly you just go "this sounds fishy, I suspect him [of being a wolf], I think we should lynch him".

I hope you will still play.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:27 PM   #25
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Just to clarify, as it must be pretty confusing– MCR in many games people *do* choose what we call "in-game" roles (or "occupations") appropriate to the setting– e.g. in the last game we were supposed to be a village in Rohan, and I was a horse-trader, G55 was a tapestry weaver, Shasta and Sally were wandering minstrels and so on. And generally we do post in character least at at the start of the game.

However, the important thing to remember is that your "in-game" role is *entirely* separate from your real, secret role (Ordo, Werewolf, Ranger etc.). For which, see the Guidelines.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:06 PM   #26
MCRmyGirl4eva
Shade of Carn Dûm

I'll still go for it. Thanks for the clarificatons. It sounds fun! I hope I enjoy it.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:48 AM   #27
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
~Bump~ Need more people, please.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:01 AM   #28
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I am debating if I can play at this point. I guess I can, if we start, like, now, but my next week's schedule looks rather intimidating. It's probably not going to be that bad, but I will be coming home only around 10pm half the time. I'm not sure I will be able to play at that point.

So... No, I don't want to start playing and then have to drop out in the middle or post only once a Day because or RL constraints. I'm afraid I'll have to give a No to this game.

I really wish I could play. Curse the schedule.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:30 PM   #29
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Sorry to hear that G55! We need to drag in a couple more people from somewhere and then we can get started.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:04 PM   #30
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Right peeps we will hold out til Monday. If we can get another person or two in we'll play as written. If we can't then we can either play with two wolves who don't know each other or we'll scrap the Ranger role.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #31
Coppermirror
Shade of Carn Dûm

Coppermirror is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sorry to hear you can't play this time, G55.

I'm glad the game will be starting soon, since it was beginning to approach a time where I would have to drop out due to things going on IRL. I don't think I'll need to do that now. Even so, I've got a big project with a deadline next week, so the amount of time I'll have available to spend on Werewolf will be limited. (As opposed to the last game, where I had an unusual amount of free time on my hands.) But I should be able to participate and post every Day without a problem, I'll just have to spend my time wisely.

It would be great if a few more people would sign up! Then we could keep the game plan as intended. Neither of the possibilities for cutting down the roles if we don't get enough people sounds good. (My motives are selfish: I've never played in a game with a Ranger before and I'd really like to, but the other option is to go down to two wolves, which would be hard for the wolves, and I might end up as one of those.)

Last edited by Coppermirror; 10-14-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Coppermirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:43 PM   #32
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Right that's it then! We will play with the people we have so I am going to take out the Ranger role. That way the wolves have a chance to play with their roles a bit despite the smaller village.

I'll put the game thread up at 10pm my time (which may be GMT+1 or BST for the rest of you - my timezone ability is notably problematic) and PM out the roles then as well.

EDIT: Game thread has actually just gone up at 9:06 my time so deadline would be one hour from now.

Last edited by Kath; 10-15-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:21 PM   #33
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I just realised Rune contacted me asking me to play - while I thought I shouldn't as I'm busy (I did actually think the game was on already).

But if it helps you, then let's see a gazillionth promise of a Nogrod who will only play a little and be really quiet...

But if you have already made your preparations then I'm pretty okay not taking part in the game.

BUt if needed, then count me in.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:31 PM   #34
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Nog you are definitely included! All players roles are going out now so check your inboxes. Wolves and Seer - Night 1 will start in half an hour. You will have until 10pm (my time) tomorrow to send me your lists/dreams.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:10 AM   #35
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Just to make it clear... the DL is about four hours from the time stamp of this post (like ten minutes less than four hours)?

And hey, looking forwards joining the game I thought I shouldn't play in the first place...

Good to see both old and new faces in a game of werewolf (and I think it is ages I played the last one myself).
Old 10-16-2012, 02:28 PM   #36
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Two quick extra bits due to questions.

1) Wolves will still only PM at Night once they have found each other.

2) The wolves do not get a kill toNight, only a dream.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:28 PM   #37
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Deadline is in half an hour from now for any one with timezone questions. (You lot are all better than me at it usually though!).
Old 10-17-2012, 03:52 PM   #38
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Narration was late - apologies. Was searching for an earring in a hoover bag!

Those people who didn't manage to post or vote toDay please make sure you do so toMorrow. I do not want to modfire anyone in a village this small!
Old 10-17-2012, 04:01 PM   #39
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
Those people who didn't manage to post or vote toDay please make sure you do so toMorrow. I do not want to modfire anyone in a village this small!
Hear! Hear!

PS. "Was searching for an earring in a hoover bag!"
Old 10-17-2012, 04:20 PM   #40
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
PS. "Was searching for an earring in a hoover bag!"
Yeah. Imagine if you are just going through random new posts, look at a post from a thread that does not even really concern you, and you see this. This literally grounded me Also, my brother just happened to be looking over my shoulder, and he commented: "Of course. That's what happens all the time."
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote