The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-12-2007, 02:54 PM   #1361
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Yes, I thought about it too... but since even she doesn't mention it anywhere, I guess not (lucky her, btw).

Okay... hope this is at least somewhat good...

Yavanna => Bolg

And I want links based only on what is really explicitely stated in the books, not "this one and this one might have probably met..."

And, try to make it in four (including these two).
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 12:56 PM   #1362
Celebdil
Pile O'Bones

Celebdil has just left Hobbiton.
Yavanna -- Radagast -- Beorn -- Bolg ?

Last edited by Celebdil; 05-29-2007 at 01:16 PM.
Celebdil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 02:11 PM   #1363
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Thumbs up Very good!

Congratulations, bright-minded! Please take the thread.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 05-30-2007, 01:07 PM   #1364
Celebdil
Pile O'Bones

Ungoliant => Shelob

I found a solution to this in a total of 5 steps, so please use at most 5. If you can come up with less, go for it!
Old 05-30-2007, 01:18 PM   #1365
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Ungoliant - Morgoth - Sauron - Shelob?
Old 05-30-2007, 01:33 PM   #1366
Celebdil
Pile O'Bones

Are you sure that Sauron and Shelob actually met? I know Sauron knew Shelob guarded the pass but I don't remember reading that they ever met each other.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:37 PM   #1367
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I'm not sure either. I guess it's nowhere mentioned.

What about the following:
Ungoliant - Morgoth - Sauron - Shagrat - Shelob?

I don't know for sure if Sauron and Shagrat actually met, but maybe we can assume so? Of course it depends on how many secretaries Sauron had.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:59 PM   #1368
Celebdil
Pile O'Bones

I do remember that Shagrat seemed to know many things about how Shelob hunted her prey, so I think its reasonable to assume he at least watched her from afar, so I'll accept it. I was actually thinking the same as you except replace Shagrat with Gollum. Gollum at some point mentions that Sauron was missing a finger so he must have been in Sauron's presence.

Good job The thread is yours.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:10 PM   #1369
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Oh, of course. Gollum didn't even occur to me.

Well, this is probably too easy, but I'm so bad at inventing these.

Fundin - Anborn.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:26 PM   #1370
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

In how many people? Six? Or even less? I can say five.

Fundin => Balin => Bilbo => Frodo => Anborn
Old 05-30-2007, 03:27 PM   #1371
Celebdil
Pile O'Bones

I bet you could even eliminate Bilbo there because I believe Balin had visit the Shire on a few occasions and met Frodo. Frodo says something about this at the Council of Elrond I believe (or somewhere along his journey to Rivendell)
Old 05-31-2007, 12:27 PM   #1372
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Right you are, Legate - that's what I thought, too. I'm sorry, I just forgot to tell the number of people. That happens when you're up when you should be sleeping, after a horrible exam week.

As for whether Frodo and Balin ever met, I don't think so. Frodo was, after all, only twenty-one when Bilbo adpted him, and Balin entered Moria the same year.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:35 PM   #1373
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

I thoughts so as well. Okay, a new one here:

Eorl the Young => Arathorn

Six, please (including these two)
Old 06-01-2007, 02:25 AM   #1374
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Eorl -> Brego -> Baldor -> King of the Dead -> Aragorn -> Arathorn ?
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 06:23 AM   #1375
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien
Eorl -> Brego -> Baldor -> King of the Dead -> Aragorn -> Arathorn ?
Very good! Exactly what I had in mind. Please, continue.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:53 PM   #1376
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Théodred => Thuringwethil

Six, including those two. You can make it shorter if you're able to.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:11 AM   #1377
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Boots Five

Théodred => Théoden => Saruman => Sauron => Thuringwhateveritisspelledihavetolookitup
Old 06-05-2007, 03:20 AM   #1378
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thumbs up

Great. Legate, please take the thread.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:32 AM   #1379
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Alright...

Tuor => Gollum
Old 06-05-2007, 06:52 AM   #1380
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc
Alright...

Tuor => Gollum
Tuor -> Earandil -> Elrond -> Aragorn -> Gollum

Aragorn of course captured Gollum and brought him back to Mirkwood.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:45 AM   #1381
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Thumbs up

Very good! Please, continue with the thread.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:45 PM   #1382
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Six.

Eol => Celebrian
Old 06-06-2007, 12:20 PM   #1383
Shards of Narsil
Animated Skeleton

Shards of Narsil has just left Hobbiton.
Eol - Maeglin - Idril - Earendil - Elrond - Celebrian.
Shards of Narsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 06:12 PM   #1384
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shards of Narsil
Eol - Maeglin - Idril - Earendil - Elrond - Celebrian.
Hmmm...not the path I would've taken, but it works.

Mine was Eol => Thingol => Beleg => Turin (all via Anglachel) => Orodreth => Galadriel => Celebrian.

Go ahead.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:58 AM   #1385
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Question Right.

So, let's start anew with a rather simple one.

Annael -> Annatar
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:50 PM   #1386
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
You call that simple?

Annael -> Tuor -> Idril -> Enerdhil -> Celebrimbor -> Annatar

(depending, of course, on the UT story that Celebrimbor was from Gondolin, not the son of Curufin as in Silm)
Old 04-13-2009, 04:23 AM   #1387
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Question

Well, you could have used the Ainur:

Annael -> Tuor -> Ulmo (-> Morgoth) -> Annatar

Ah, but your way works as well. Take the thread!
Old 04-13-2009, 11:45 AM   #1388
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Thanks! I guess it was the name Annatar (instead of Sauron) that made me think of Celebrimbor and forget the Valar connection.
Anyway, what about this (no Valar involved):

Iorlas -> Bregalad
Old 04-13-2009, 07:43 PM   #1389
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Andsigil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
Iorlas -> Bregalad
5 moves:

Iorlas > Beregond > Pippin> Treebeard> Bregalad
Old 04-14-2009, 03:03 AM   #1390
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Correct! (I would have left out Treebeard and used Bergil instead of Beregond, but never mind.) Take it away!
Old 04-14-2009, 08:08 AM   #1391
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Okay, how about Cirdan to The Gaffer?
Old 04-15-2009, 03:59 AM   #1392
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

White-Hand Many paths.

Laziest one is:

Círdan -> Elrond -> Samwise -> Gaffer Gamgee
Old 04-15-2009, 04:35 AM   #1393
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ack. Too easy. Your turn.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:54 PM   #1394
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Question Thanks!

And sorry for the delay, had trouble coming up with a snorter.

Damrod -> Amrod
Old 04-16-2009, 04:43 AM   #1395
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Damrod > Faramir > Boromir > Elrond > (Maglor?) > Amrod
Old 04-16-2009, 08:53 PM   #1396
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Thumbs up

Excellent.

Your turn.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:48 AM   #1397
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Azog > Thorondor
Old 04-20-2009, 04:20 PM   #1398
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

*bump*

Anyone?

Bueller? Bueller?
Old 04-20-2009, 04:40 PM   #1399
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Azog -> Dáin -> Thórin -> Gandalf -> Glorfindel-> Thorondor?
Old 04-21-2009, 04:18 AM   #1400
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hmmm... I can't seem to recall Thorondor meeting Glorfindel, but it's possible they met at Gondolin, I suppose.

My path went:
Azog- Dain- Thorin- Thranduil- Elwe- Beren- Thorondor

I'll give it to you, though. The board is yours.