The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2002, 03:33 AM   #1
ava.luthien

Silmaril Best Costume

Which character do you think has the coolest costume?
Old 11-30-2002, 10:46 AM   #2
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Easy. Galadriel. She has the coolest costume ever. Well, actually, watching the Behind the Scenes stuff on my DVD, Aragorn has a pretty cool costume too. His was actually one of the hardest to make. Let me explain:<P>It said that there was so much work put into his costume to make him have the Ranger look, but still have something kingly about him. For instance, his sleeves are patched together in this certain way so that, being a ranger, if he wanted to, he could just easily untie the strings and have a sleeveless shirt. And his sleeves also include some Elven-like designs showing there is more to him than just a mhere ranger. <P>But I still like Galadriel's costume.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 10:50 AM   #3
-Imrahil-
Shade of Carn Dûm

-Imrahil- has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I like the Nazghul's. From what I heard on the DVD it took quite an effort to make, and the cloaks are really multiple layers sewn together to create that great look.
Old 11-30-2002, 01:19 PM   #4
the mortal elf
Wight

the mortal elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to the mortal elf
Tolkien

Here's a tidbit of info: Each Nazgul's robe had 50 yards of fabric. <P>I think everybody's costumes were phenomenal, but I liked Gandalf's best. It's exactly like I pictured him.
Old 11-30-2002, 01:22 PM   #5
Galadriel9
Haunting Spirit

Galadriel9 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I have to agree that Galadriel's costume is definately the coolest, but I also think that Gandalf's hat is great! Maybe Galadriel's dress/cloak type thing, Gandalf's hat and Frodo's feet, huh?
Old 11-30-2002, 02:54 PM   #6
captainlimited

Silmaril

I quite enjoy <B>Arwen</B>'s outfit. I think it's one of the best.
Old 11-30-2002, 03:05 PM   #7
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

All the elven costumes were pretty good, they have to be my fave. The Nazgul were pretty scary as well, I can't believe they had 50 yards of fabric on them, imagine riding a horse wth all that on!
Old 11-30-2002, 03:14 PM   #8
TealDude3
Wight

TealDude3 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The Nazgul's costumes are cool. Aragorn's costume is cool. There all cool. But I think the coolest costume was acctually Borimir's. There's just something about 'Stwerart of Gondor' attire that looks cool.
Old 11-30-2002, 03:18 PM   #9
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The Eye

Oh come on! Who's the greatest? All: SAURON! That armour he wears is sooo amazing! They really did a good job designing the kind of armour a evil, extremely powerful lord would wear. I wish they could have done more with the full bodied Sauron instead of just his dang eye, although that was cool too. Best costume definetly goes to Sauron!
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 04:11 PM   #10
Helkasir
Haunting Spirit

Helkasir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

...hm. A tough choice. I like nearly all the costumes. All of them looked exactly as I had imagined them. I think my favorite was Aragorn's, Followed by Frodo's. Actually, unlike some, I didn't like Galadriel's costume. I like the picture of her that we have on the Barrow downs now, you know, the one with Frodo and Sam in the back? That's a bit how I envisioned her.
Old 12-09-2002, 09:57 AM   #11
Lady_Báin
Wight

Lady_Báin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

kay....<BR>1. boromir<BR>2. gimli<BR>3. nazgûl <BR>4. elven costumes (including arwen, galadriel, celeborn, elrond, legolas, haldir, and extras)<BR>5. sauron<BR>6. gandalf<BR>7. saruman<BR>8. eowyn<BR>9. meriadoc and samwise (i love his yellow coat)<BR>10. bilbo<BR>11. general hobbits<BR>12. aragorn<P>heehee i guess yoou weren't asking for a list oops
Old 12-09-2002, 11:23 AM   #12
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

TolkienGurl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to TolkienGurl Send a message via AIM to TolkienGurl
Sting

I love Galadriel's outfit. It seems to float around her- so elvish!<P>My mom is in love with Aragorn so of course she says his outfit is the best. And I have to agree!
TolkienGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 04:00 PM   #13
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Can you actually count the make-up/prosthetics that Gimli/John Rhys-Davies had to wear? If so, I think he had a very elaborate costume.<P>But my favorite costume was easily Galadriel's. Mostly because it was pretty
Old 12-10-2002, 04:44 PM   #14
-Imrahil-
Shade of Carn Dûm

-Imrahil- has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Nazghul costume of course! Followed by Aragorn's which was pretty darn good. Boromir's too! They were all sooo good. Also from the trailers of TTT Theoden's costume looks neat, kind of similar to Boromir's.
Old 12-10-2002, 08:17 PM   #15
Pookabunny
Wight

Pookabunny has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Pookabunny
1420!

Arwen's outfit at the ford was one of my favorites, but the COOLEST costumes in the film is the RINGWRAITHS!<P>I've come to appreciate the complexity of their costumes because I'm making one for the premier NEXT WEEK! The hand and foot armor is incredible, they had the most distinct swords in the movie and those robes were absolutely amazing. WOW 20 yards of fabric? Damn I have a LOT of work ahead of me.....
Old 04-13-2003, 01:02 PM   #16
Cibbwin
Wight

Cibbwin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cibbwin Send a message via MSN to Cibbwin Send a message via Yahoo to Cibbwin
Sting

I really liked Boromir's costume. It showed his nobility, but was wearable to battle.<P>Gimli's was great, as well, completely how I envisioned it. I want his helmet!<P>I also like Eowyn's costumes, they fit her beautifually. /swoon Eowyn<P>Edit: Arwen's Flight to the Ford costume was great, as well! Again, elegant, yet wearable, like Eowyn's.<p>[ April 13, 2003: Message edited by: Cibbwin ]
Cibbwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 01:13 PM   #17
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The outfit Faramir wore at Henneth Annun: the loose waistcoat thing and shirt and trousers. Oh so casual and extremely irresistable.<P>Also the proper outfit he wears, with the tree on the front.<P>Aragorn's outfits are great, especially the rotk ones.<P>Legolas, in Lothlorien: the silver get-up. One word: wowwwwwwwwwwwwww.<P>Anything of Arwen's. I have a picture of her in this one really amazing dress (its not in the movies, unless its cut material or rotk). Its pink, with some kinda pattern on it, and its like the dress she wore when Aragorn broke up with her in TTT: with the kind of collar and all. Its sooo gorgeous.<P>Oh, and I ADORE Theoden's outfit. Suits him perfectly.<P>And i love Gandalf's clothes as Gandalf the White. He looks so sophisticated.<P>And Eowyn's outfits are great, of course. More so because they're simple enough for us ordinary folk to make ourselves.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:04 PM   #18
Aladriel Celebrian

Sting

Legolas' "siver get up" was just what was under his brown tunic thingy.I think. well i'm pretty sure
Old 04-14-2003, 08:56 PM   #19
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Now that I've seen TTT, I have to say that Eowyn's costume is the best. I want that green dress!!
Old 04-14-2003, 10:38 PM   #20
Arafangwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: WtR: 413 miles/Floating happily across the floor in the arms of The Phantom.....
Arafangwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Arafangwen Send a message via AIM to Arafangwen
Silmaril

I think that all of Legolas' costumes were great! The way they made him look lighter than air is awesome! But I agree with almost everyone, Galadriels costume is beautiful. The way it just flows perfectly in every situation, all the elves costumes are like that, so I guess all the elves costumes in general then.
Arafangwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 06:39 PM   #21
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Burzdol has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

I think that Faramir's costume was the best. I loved the White Tree on the front of his brestplate.<P>I also like the Nazgul. The looked so much like I pictured them.<P>~Burzdol~
Old 04-15-2003, 07:26 PM   #22
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I think that Faramir's costume was the best. I loved the White Tree on the front of his brestplate. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Hehe. He's currently staring down at me (or, more accurately, over my shoulder) from my TTT calendar. I too was struck by how well the White Tree was done when I first saw that picture.<P>Having seen the documentary on the FotR Extended Version DVD, I find the amount of work and thought that went into all of the costumes amazing. The Costume Designer (sorry, can't remember her name) and her team really did a fantastic job.
Old 04-19-2003, 02:26 PM   #23
Frodo Brandybuck
Pile O'Bones

Frodo Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Lurtz hands down! Poor Lawrence Makoare was up all night so they good get him in that suit! I think that has to be one of the coolest costumes I have EVER seen.
Old 04-19-2003, 06:13 PM   #24
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Boromir! His costume catches my eye in every scene. I collect vintage clothes/fabrics. The shade of purple in his outfit is that same wonderful brassy, faded, yellow/purple shade that certain vintage satins and velvets get with several decades of age. I love it! It gives him a timely air of authenticity that I would never have imagined anyone going to the trouble to create. His chainmail, leathers, and fur cape, plus the velvets are quite regal, yet very manly (humanly! ) in their sheer weight. LOVE IT! <p>[ April 19, 2003: Message edited by: Liriodendron ]
Old 04-22-2003, 05:20 AM   #25
Frodo 007
Haunting Spirit

Location: Wellington, New Zealand (Middle-Earth Baby Yeah!!!)
Frodo 007 has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I think Arwen's costumes are the best!They are so beautiful, i wish i could wear them! Oh, to be an Elf!
Old 05-19-2003, 02:06 PM   #26
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
Sting

I think Galadriel had the best costume. Her costume was really beautiful. <P>Then I liked the Nazguls. I don't know why, maybe it was because they were so similar to the book?
Old 06-06-2003, 10:43 PM   #27
Retloc the Red

Sting

Personally, I liked the Wizards costumes.<P>Gandalf the Grey's costume was excellent. It was perfect for the amount of traveling that he did. sort of like the long coats worn by the cowboys in the Western films. I believe they were called dusters. And I found it brilliant how they made the robe look as if there were no slit in it at all with those enormous pants.<P>Gandalf the White is a different story. The robe looked very sopisticated and grand, a robe to rival even Saruman's. It was much cleaner than they Grey and did not interfere with his horseback riding. I did not however like the boots.<P>Saruman's costume was just the way I imagined it to be. Royal, grand, all together magnificent. I felt that the robe showed his supreme wisdom (soon to become his supreme foolishness) and his authority in the council.<P>I apoligize for being so long winded. I really am not that good at the whole forum thing. Once I start I just keep going. I think I will be silent for a while now...
Old 06-07-2003, 12:53 AM   #28
Morquesse
Wight

Morquesse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Welcome to the club, Retloc the Red! Don't worry, you'll get the hang of posting soon. And your post is NOT long, you should see posts in the Books Forum!<P>Anyway, costumes:<P>I really like Boromir's. Like some of you have said, it diffenetly shows his dignity.<P>Galaddriel's looks other-worldy and beautiful! Wouldn't you LOVE to have something like that for your wedding dress? Ehr, maybe not.<P>Before it came out, there were two things that I especially wanted in FotR: for Butterbur to have a beard, and for Elrond to be in robes. I sooo was happy! And you gotta love his robes, especially the ones he wore at the Council. <P>And of course, you gotta love Arwen's. I can't decide which! I like the one where she and Aragorn are on the bridge, and I like the one she's in when Frodo first sees her. The one I didn't like however, was the one where she was in Aragorn's dream before his horse woke him up. That one looked too skimpy and Greek style for me (not that I dislike the Greek culture, I just thought it strange to see something Greek in an Old England-based story).<P>Anyway, those are my favorites. See you later!<BR>~M<p>[ June 07, 2003: Message edited by: Morquesse ]
Old 06-07-2003, 08:12 AM   #29
Ophelia
Wight

Ophelia has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Cave trolls definetly . An axcelent example of high fashion
Old 06-07-2003, 01:34 PM   #30
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Galadriel's looks other-worldy and beautiful! Wouldn't you LOVE to have something like that for your wedding dress? Ehr, maybe not. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Come to think of it, yes!! That would be a perfect wedding dress. Though I doubt my future husband would take too kindly to being forced into a Celeborn costume.
Old 06-07-2003, 02:22 PM   #31
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

It is not so much Gandalf's costume that makes him look like you ( or at least I ) imagined him. But rather the actor that played him, the voice of Ian McKellen, & beard & hair that completes my visual picture of him...
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003, 02:07 AM   #32
mordor136
Wight

mordor136 has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Sauron blew me away! Here's a tidbit for those of you who havent seen the FOTR sp.edition dvd! Sauron's helm (designed by alan lee) was made to look like a rotting horse face! Also an ivory motif was acid etched over the whole thing! <p>[ June 08, 2003: Message edited by: mordor136 ]
Old 06-08-2003, 02:22 AM   #33
mordor136
Wight

Sting

sorry the picture above was sauron<p>[ June 08, 2003: Message edited by: mordor136 ]
Old 06-08-2003, 11:59 AM   #34
EvennStarr8
Pile O'Bones

EvennStarr8 has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I loved them all but I personally loved how they did Gollum. They did it soo well.Even though he only wore a loin cloth it was very cool to actually see him.
Old 06-08-2003, 03:05 PM   #35
mordor136
Wight

Pipe

Here's an interesting fact:<P>the ringwraith's costume is made of fabric layers of different weights. The effect? Some layers blow in the wind while others remain still . the
Old 06-13-2003, 12:20 PM   #36
Tarien Ithil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tarien Ithil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Just a pointless fact......:<P>Did you know that the Nazgul each wore over 50 meters of fabric??

Crickhollow
Tarien Ithil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 01:31 PM   #37
Angadraug
Animated Skeleton

Angadraug has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I think Aragorn had the best looking costume because it seemed so realisitic. It was dirty, torn, and peiced together. Probably smelled too. Also his armour at Helm's Deep was awesome.
Angadraug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 01:57 PM   #38
mollecon
Wight

mollecon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think all the costumes were great - a part of the incredible amount of working with the details that makes these movies so great. As I've stated before, one of the things that makes these movies work so well for me is the depiction of the Middle Earth 'universe - from the finest details to the overall scenery.<P>If we talk about characters that are hit mostly 'on the spot' compared to one's own envisioning of them, I think Gandalf takes the cake, closely followed by the Hobbits - for me at least.
mollecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 05:27 PM   #39
merenwen
Animated Skeleton

merenwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i liked the elves costumes. they were so beautiful. for some reason i didn't exactly like sauron's. it just struck me as a power ranger villain...or maybe that was the green goblin's on spider man
Old 06-13-2003, 11:32 PM   #40
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Forgive me for this one: Frodo in the Tower of Cirith Ungol! (heh heh!) Simplest costume ever! <P>But seriously now, I must say that I agree with all those who picked Boromir, but I'm not sure it is the costume I'm staring at! I also LOVED the way the entire marking of the Uruk-Hai went. The impressing of the white hand on the face really bespoke a primitive, warrior marking. It gave more meaning to the Uruk-Hai than I had ever previously assigned to them. It sets them apart from the mere orcs, as well it should. And Lurtz is quite impressive, as well he would have to be to take down someone as imposing as Boromir! I wouldn't have a lesser orc on that job!<P>I also quite love Galadriel's dress, so sheer, yet not revealing, almost as if she herself was sheer beneath it, otherworldly. I read some time ago in a popular gossip magazine that Liv Tyler had said that none of the Elves wore underwear...hmmmm...part of the effect?<P>Cheers,<BR>Lyta<p>[ June 14, 2003: Message edited by: Lyta_Underhill ]
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote